Panama Canal Cruise: safe ports?

Priya2

Another member posted a question in the Ports section of CC Forum about Colon. As we're taking the Celebrity Canal cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, disembarking in San Diago in November. I was interested myself. There were some very helpful answers, the posters agreeing that they would not walk about alone in that port.

I'd be grateful if others who have taken this Celebrity cruise could post about their experiences and opinions of each of the ports. Of course I can see the general reviews of the cruise, but I'm looking for some detailed information about cruisers experiences at ports. In particular, whether you feel its safe for exploring independantly. If so, are they any thing (especially lesser known things) that you feel are a must see. If not, would you recommend local tours or just stick with the ship's excursions? We have only taken two cruises so far and, having researched a little, we would tend to avoid ship excusions as they look to be poor value, and may not even be the best style of tour. However, I can see there may be ports of call where they may be the best option.

The views of experienced cruisers are always a great source of information aren't they? 😌

Another member posted a question in the Ports section of CC Forum about Colon. As we're taking the Celebrity Canal cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, disembarking in San Diago in November. I was interested myself. There were some very helpful answers, the posters agreeing that they would not walk about alone in that port.

I'd be grateful if others who have taken this Celebrity cruise could post about their experiences and opinions of each of the ports. Of course I can see the general reviews of the cruise, but I'm looking for some detailed information about cruisers experiences at ports. In particular, whether you feel its safe for exploring independantly. If so, are they any thing (especially lesser known things) that you feel are a must see. If not, would you recommend local tours or just stick with the ship's excursions? We have only taken two cruises so far and, having researched a little, we would tend to avoid ship excusions as they look to be poor value, and may not even be the best style of tour. However, I can see there may be ports of call where they may be the best option.

The views of experienced cruisers are always a great source of information aren't they? 😌

I don't think we've ever taken a ship's tour for safety...we almost always do private or small group excursions set up through the roll calls. If we do take a celebrity excursion it's because the tour is long and there is a risk of getting delayed (eg ruins in belize) or occasionally when we have more OBC than we know what to do with which doesn't happen often.

As far as walking around ports....if the ship is moored very close to town, we'll walk it...but in most cases, we'll take a taxi to the "tourist" area and then set out where there are lots of people. Colon, however, is one of those ports where I'd pre-arrange some tour and not wander around.

I haven't been there in years but used to find Colon downright creepy. This is one port I'd do a ship excursion.

Agree....We had planned on seeing the Gatun Locks although we weren't thrilled about that, having seem locks in Germany already. We were tired and decided to just walk around the port a bit and head back to ship.

The area right outside the port was awful and looked quite dangerous.

We've been to many "shady" looking ports which we were fine with. However, Colon and Falmouth, Jamaica really made us terribly uncomfortable.

Colon isn't the best for on-your-own. We took (for us) a very rare ship's tour. We were on a bus with about 50 other people which is something we HATE HATE. At most we like a small van of about 8 or so. But, anyway, we all rode at least 90 minutes to the Canal and got onto a very large ferry and went through the Gatun and Miraflores locks and then rode back. Because it's kind of first come first served in the Panama Canal, we sat on the ferry and waited for a couple hours at one point. Then going through was slow but interesting. It was about 105 degrees, raining some of the time, and it was hard to hear the constant commentary on the loudspeaker. But we enjoyed the trip through, crossed that off our bucket list so to speak. No need to do it again, that's for sure.

The drive back was at least 90 minutes. You see what kind of 3rd world country you're really in, lots of heavily armed men at different locations. We got back to the ship about 45 minutes AFTER it was supposed to have left. Many buses were late as they took a roundabout way home through Panama City and we had to stop at a security checkpoint that lasted longer due to traffic. This is one place to take a tour through Celebrity.

We did independently in a very small group (5 or 6 small cars of 4 each) in Cartagena through Lee Miles (Mr. Emerald). We had a great private tour and even asked our particular driver to take us somewhere for lunch that was nice and very local. We went who-knows-where in the city and it was lovely. We asked him to join us, paid for his meal, and had fabulous conversation about his life and family. Priceless!! Of all our tours in the world, the only one I can think of to absolutely do with the ship is Colon. There are perhaps more but I've not done those yet. Everything else is good on your own.

We were there last month and took a wonderful private tour with Mario. The canoe ride down to and the Embera Village were very memorable! :)

Never felt unsafe for a moment. Second trip to Colon and have taken private tours both times.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298428-d1029113-Reviews-Almiza_Tours_by_My_friend_Mario_Private_Tours-Colon_Colon_Province.html

Tour CL7

Gatun locks, Chagres River & Embera Village

from 8:40am to 4pm

Price US$85 each

Edited by Iamthesea

We haven't taken a ship's tour in about 30 years. They are not only overpriced but crowded.

The people (including me) who said to take a tour in Colon didn't say to take a ship's tour - just a tour. Safe or not, there just isn't much to see in the port itself. But there are many, many interesting choices of things to do if you take a tour.

(This contrasts to Southern Caribbean ports like Antigua and Aruba where a public bus to a beach is safe and fun!)

What are your other ports?

We did a private tour in Colon in January 2014 arranged by another member of our roll call so I cannot recall the name of the company used. It was wonderful! Lots to see and do and very enjoyable. Never did we feel unsafe or uncomfortable. I am not saying it is like Orlando or any other major US city. It is Central America and things are different. Go with an open mind and use common sense and you will be fine.

One of the best tours we have ever taken, was thru Celebrity, last Nov on the Equinox, the CO26 tour of the Panama Canal. What topped it off is we were 2 hours late getting back, and there was the Equinox all a glow against the night sky waiting for us, oh, and 250 others on the tour with us!

You don't necessarily have to take a ship's tour in Colon, a privately arranged tour with an independent guide is fine. Colon is just not the place for a do it all on your own touring, there are not any attractions for a visitor to take in and anything that would be of interest is not within walking distance, so either a ship's excursion or a private one is the ticket.

There honestly isn't much to do in Colon. There is a shopping center with a few gift shops, restaurants, and a grocery store right beside the port. I would suggest booking a tour here just to get you away from the city itself and allow you to see some of the beautiful surrounding areas in Panama. Doing it on your own might get a little uncomfortable.

I did the same cruise as OP on the Century a number of years ago.I organized a private tour from Colon. We went to the Gatun locks, and Portobelo with a wonderful lunch at a local cafe outside Portobelo.

Wanted to see the locks from the landside before we went through it. Very good view of a big Japanese freighter going through the locks when we got there. Canal personel does a commetary and they have a viewing stand. We got there way before the ship tours. this ws a 8 perosn tour in a modern van, thorugh Roberto,( cannot remember his last name) who opporates a tour business from Colon throughout the country.

Good walking tour of Portobelo by our local guide. This was the last stop for Columbus on his final (fourth) vovage. It was also the place where the ships were loaded with gold and other goods from SA after being transported through the jungle trail from the Pacific. Also small air conditioned museum in town, and the pilgrimage church with the Black Christ in town. We bought some beautiful molas from the woman selling them outside the church, all handmade.

Our tour guide gave us a interesting history of Colon/Panama and the old US Zone with its houses, where she lives.

It was a great day.

The enclosed area around the pier is fine, just touristy junk to buy, but free wifi. there was a Radisson hotel across the parking lot.LOL

This is a free trade zone and currently it has a huge Chinese presence. Once the new canal is open even more commerce on one of the ancient trading routes in the world.

As you stated this is your second cruise. I would stick with private or ship tours until you get to Puerta Vallarta or Cabo.

Panama Canal full tranist one of thehighlights of all my vacations. I plan to do it again when the new canal is open.

What are your other ports?

OCruisers Priya2 (the OP) .... Seems you're taking a full transit. Which port stops other than Colon?

LuLu

Sorry, don't know how to do multiple quotes!

Thank you 😎

Cartagena, Columbia

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Colon isn't the best for on-your-own. We took (for us) a very rare ship's tour. We were on a bus with about 50 other people which is something we HATE HATE. At most we like a small van of about 8 or so. But, anyway, we all rode at least 90 minutes to the Canal and got onto a very large ferry and went through the Gatun and Miraflores locks and then rode back. Because it's kind of first come first served in the Panama Canal, we sat on the ferry and waited for a couple hours at one point. Then going through was slow but interesting. It was about 105 degrees, raining some of the time, and it was hard to hear the constant commentary on the loudspeaker. But we enjoyed the trip through, crossed that off our bucket list so to speak. No need to do it again, that's for sure.

Wow, I did the same ship excursion from Colon and it might be one of my favorite ever. Yes, the bus ride was less than stellar (aren't they always), but the ferry was spectacular. Ours was not very crowded, didn't have to wait too long at any point (although they did warn us that we might), and our weather was much better. It was totally fascinating seeing the working of the locks from such a different vantage point than from the Infinity the day before.

Agree....We had planned on seeing the Gatun Locks although we weren't thrilled about that, having seem locks in Germany already. We were tired and decided to just walk around the port a bit and head back to ship.

The area right outside the port was awful and looked quite dangerous.

We've been to many "shady" looking ports which we were fine with. However, Colon and Falmouth, Jamaica really made us terribly uncomfortable.

You can add Limon and Roatan to that list.

We had some bad experiences on Jamaica, If we are on a cruise that stops there we stay on board. We always try to avoid the western cruises or ports.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Priya2,

The immediate area adjacent to the pier in Colon is cordoned off from the warehouses and crumbling city streets.

Celebrity offers several different tours going to the jungle, the canal and Panama City.

You should find the same focus tours offered by other tour operators for passengers on your ship via the Roll Call for your sailing. The Ports of Call boards and Trip Advisor will also provide recommendations.

Unlike many ports of call, even those in industrial or commercial areas, Colon does not seem to be financially healthy or physically safe. There just isn't any other pier outside PC that can handle cruise ships thus the obligatory stop with scads of warnings.

Once outside Colon Panama has much to offer, and don't miss the giant ant beds!!!!!

OCruisers Priya2 (the OP) .... Seems you're taking a full transit. Which port stops other than Colon?

LuLu

Thank you 😎

Cartagena, Columbia

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

We've been to Cartagena twice. The first time we did the fort, church, dungeons tour with Lee Miles. Dora is also a great tour operator. The second time we just took a taxi to the Old (walled) City with another couple and wandered around for hours. It;s really beautiful, very upscale and very safe. Make sure to peek your head into some courtyards in the old buildings and look at the beautiful Spanish architecture. There's an interesting gold museum where you'll get an idea of the history of the area. Also try to make your way to the old port area where you overlook the ocean.

In Cabo we've taken a whale watching tour twice in small inflatable boats. I don't remember the company we booked with.

LuLu

Thank you

Cartagena, Columbia

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

We loved our "Discover Scuba" tour in Puerto Vallarta and zodiac snorkeling in Cabo. Both were ship's tours but might also have been offered through Cabo Adventures, the provider. The zodiac combined what would have been three or four tours...snorkeling in the two best places, half time in each, riding by the sea lion colony and Land's End, and even stopping for whale watching. Great time...just have to be able to climb in and out of the zodiac. The scuba was at the former Huston estate, now a recreational resort. You can also choose a beach day there with a great meal and drinks. All the excursions that go there seem to have the meal and drinks included. In Puntarenas the crocodile safari was awesome. In Cartagena we did the city tour with the fort (great) and the Chiva party bus (a lot of fun and rum, lol). We did these with another line, but I think they are offered for all the cruise lines. There were Princess cruisers on the same boat going to the Huston estate as more than one ship was in port that day and it's a big boat.

Wonderful itinerary...enjoy your cruise!

We also try not to do ships tours due to cost and lack of flexibility with itineraries, but did 3 of my favorite Celebrity excursions on this cruise a couple of years ago. (We did the Canal in reverse, San Diego to Fort Lauderdale, during January.)

Cartagena ~ Mud Volcano & Scenic Drive. Felt very safe on this tour, though we did have an armed policeman on the coach who also waited for us at the bottom of mud volcano. The volcano was loads of fun. Check out numerous clips on youtube. Regret not going into the walled city in Cartagena though..

Colon ~ Embera Indian Culture. Quite a long trip on a canoe, and quite hairy at times, but well worth it. Saw plenty of the canal and locks from Celebrity Century, so didn't feel the need to see more on an excursion.

Puerto Vallarta ~ ATV Off Road Adventure. Great fun and included tequilla tasting afterwards.

FYI, we also had an armed policeman on our Celebrity trip to Antigua and Coffee Plantation in Guatemala.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise, whatever you decide to do!