Dresses That Will Cover Middle Age Bump

Hey, in my mid 50s and although my weight is the same, it has shifted somewhat. Exercise doesn't really make my tummy go away. Not interested in surgery. I live in a rural area so most of my shopping is done online. Can anyone recommend a brand or site that sells casual short dresses that are designed to flow over this problem. So much of what I get in catalogues or see in magazines will only work on girls in their 20s...

For example, I have a cotton dress from Talbots that is cut straight, like a t-shirt dress, that I love. I would just like some other recommendations...

Last year, Target had some cute t-shirt dresses that were cut more square (which normally isn't a good look on me, but these were great) I bought 3 (they are a cotton blend, zip up the back, around $25?) I got black, white with thin black stripes and white with thick black stripes.

Lands End has introduced a ton of new dresses this season - I love their ponte sheath for work (and it has POCKETS) but that's not quite the profile you say you're looking for. They do have other shapes, and frequently have sales and/or free shipping (and you can do returns at some stores - I live in the country and do much of my shopping online as well, though I can do returns in person if I plan errands & travel around them)

I go for empire or high-waisted with a draping fabric. You'd be surprised how flattering the silhouette. It tends to hug up top and skim over or slightly out from the bump.

I do not choose anything too clingy, which will show every lump and bump. Which is why (at least one of the reasons) I hate leggings.

Edited by logan25

Well I definitely have more than a few lumps and bumps to cover and I don't generally wear dresses - but found this brand in a local cruisewear shop - made by Dunes - I love the gauzy summery feel: http://www.dunes.com.mx/index.php/en/catalogo-dunes-3/categoria4/vestidos

I have the torcaz style in white which I always take 'cruising' with me.... but there are lots of lovely styles to choose from. I am sure you can find these online or maybe contact the company to find out where they might sell them in your area if you are interested?

Edited by Froufie

Check any of the big stores like Penney's, Nordstrom or Macy's. Not knowing exactly how big or small you are, it's hard to know what will look good. Sometimes getting something really billowy will make you look larger than you really are.

Check return policies, so if it doesn't fit, it can be returned easily. How far are you from a major store? It might be worth it to take a trip and try on different styles to see what looks good.

I am petite, but I am self conscience about my belly, so I usually look for dresses that are sheath like, but more of a straight line than cut in at waist. I love maxi's too, so I tend to wear more of a trapeze style top.

Hi, I'm similar age, similar tummy bump issues. I have a couple of the Talbots "fit and flare" dresses. Was skeptical when I saw them but I like them. I have the silk and the cotton, both in black. They are sleeveless and thus require little sweaters or jackets. Haven't tried the new ponte one yet. Don't think I will try the sweater version.

These are two examples of MANY dresses I own. They are called "tiered dresses" and are sold at any major store.

Macys, JC Penny, Norstrom, Belks, Dillards, etc. Go to any of these websites and punch in "womens tiered dresses" in the search bar.

I have many imperfections, as many women do. The tiered dress hides every single one that I have. Most of these dresses go to size 18 and higher. They come from casual to dressy...whichever style you want.

I have about 12 of these dresses, ordered via websites and have never returned one of them. They are amazing....just amazing what they do for your figure. I have tried the fit and flare, as someone has suggested, and it only emphasizes my "pooch". Not flattering at all.

http://www.jcpenney.com/wear-to-work/sl-fashions-sleeveless-floral-print-tulip-tiered-dress/prod.jump?ppId=pp5005071367&searchTerm=womens+tiered+dresses&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8#focusreview:true

http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/PRD~1500712115274BK/SL+Fashions+Tiered+Floral+A+line+Dress.jsp?ZZ%3C%3EtP=4294923540&ZZ%3C%3Et=womens+tiered+dresses&ZZ_ST=womens+tiered+dresses&fO=AND%28Category_Path%2CNOT%28P_IS_PRODUCT_SEARCHABLE%3AN%29%29&ZZ_OPT=Y&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474395191292&bmUID=kLZOO4X&ViewAll=&changeViewInd=y

Edited by susie8862
cccc

These are two examples of MANY dresses I own. They are called "tiered dresses" and are sold at any major store.

Macys, JC Penny, Norstrom, Belks, Dillards, etc. Go to any of these websites and punch in "womens tiered dresses" in the search bar.

I have many imperfections, as many women do. The tiered dress hides every single one that I have. Most of these dresses go to size 18 and higher. They come from casual to dressy...whichever style you want.

I have about 12 of these dresses, ordered via websites and have never returned one of them. They are amazing....just amazing what they do for your figure. I have tried the fit and flare, as someone has suggested, and it only emphasizes my "pooch". Not flattering at all.

http://www.jcpenney.com/wear-to-work/sl-fashions-sleeveless-floral-print-tulip-tiered-dress/prod.jump?ppId=pp5005071367&searchTerm=womens+tiered+dresses&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8#focusreview:true

http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/PRD~1500712115274BK/SL+Fashions+Tiered+Floral+A+line+Dress.jsp?ZZ%3C%3EtP=4294923540&ZZ%3C%3Et=womens+tiered+dresses&ZZ_ST=womens+tiered+dresses&fO=AND%28Category_Path%2CNOT%28P_IS_PRODUCT_SEARCHABLE%3AN%29%29&ZZ_OPT=Y&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474395191292&bmUID=kLZOO4X&ViewAll=&changeViewInd=y

Oh my goodness. I cannot believe you posted this. I have my sons wedding coming up in 2 months. I have been in search of a dress for many months and usually would end up crying in the dressing room. Lol.

I found this dress at Macys and omg. How the tiered look does this is unbelievable.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/r-m-richards-sleeveless-beaded-tiered-gown?ID=1215347&CategoryID=5449#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D100%26slotId%3D1%26kws%3Dwomens%20tiered%20dresses

I love this dress and is perfect for "mother of the groom". Cannot stress enough how perfectly stunning it is. I also agree with your statement about the fit and flare dresses. It was very unbecoming on me and in my opinion should really only be worn on women under the age of 30. Did not look age appropriate at all on me.

I am taking your recommendation and going to the Belks and Dillard sights to look for a cocktail dress for the rehearsal dinner. Hoping another tiered dress will fit the bill. :)

I have a fairly hourglass figure. But I do have that tummy bump that all women dread. I find for myself the easiest way to cover this is to buy dressing that have ruching at the waist or to buy dresses that are a line and flare out just about the hips. I do wear a light control underneath with shapewear but not much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last year, Target had some cute t-shirt dresses that were cut more square (which normally isn't a good look on me, but these were great) I bought 3 (they are a cotton blend, zip up the back, around $25?) I got black, white with thin black stripes and white with thick black stripes.

Lands End has introduced a ton of new dresses this season - I love their ponte sheath for work (and it has POCKETS) but that's not quite the profile you say you're looking for. They do have other shapes, and frequently have sales and/or free shipping (and you can do returns at some stores - I live in the country and do much of my shopping online as well, though I can do returns in person if I plan errands & travel around them)

Another vote for Lands' End dresses. Try their fit-and-flare dress. I have several colors (solids and prints) in the sleeveless and one in an elbow-length. The "fit" is just under the bustline, and the "flare" covers a bit of a tummy. No, it won't make a plus sized gal look like a size 8 ... but it's flattering on, I think, pretty much everyone. I wear them to work all the time with a cardigan and flat sandals or Toms.

They've been popular for 4-5 years now, and they're a best seller; thus, they keep adding new prints. Since you say you like to buy online, that's a good thing for you: Once you know you like it, you can keep ordering new colors with confidence.

Edited by MrsPete

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The mall in our nearest town is anchored by a Macy's and 99% of the stuff there is dreck. Not all Macy's are the same because the one in Atlanta is totally different. Thus I buy online. I was hoping that there was a company that specifically targeted women over 50 who aren't obese but just have a few aging issues....and want to look age appropriate. Like NYDJ (not your daughter's jeans). Alas it seems there is no such company and I'll just have to keep searching online. Thanks for the suggestion about the tiered dresses....you certainly can't tell from the one dimensional picture that they would be that flattering.

I actually purchased this dress and had to return it because it is made very small in the chest area, the bust part only covered about 2/3 of my chest and I am a 38c. the fabric and colors are lovely though and Macys offers free return shipping now.

I just purchased a couple dresses from BeallsForida.com. The brand is Hearts of Palm and they are excellent for the tummy area, are made well and I have several that have worn and washed well from that brand.

Edited by rosegrower

I can vouch for the fact that the tiered dresses hide a multitude of lumps and bumps. I was trying on mother of the groom dresses and getting more frustrated by the minute, when a friend brought "THE" dress into the fitting room. I would never have chosen it, but I put it on and that was the end of my shopping. Here's what it looked like on his wedding day in Tokyo.

15.jpg

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Hey, in my mid 50s and although my weight is the same, it has shifted somewhat. Exercise doesn't really make my tummy go away. Not interested in surgery. I live in a rural area so most of my shopping is done online. Can anyone recommend a brand or site that sells casual short dresses that are designed to flow over this problem. So much of what I get in catalogues or see in magazines will only work on girls in their 20s...

For example, I have a cotton dress from Talbots that is cut straight, like a t-shirt dress, that I love. I would just like some other recommendations...

What is causing the bump is the relaxation of your abdominal wall (core muscles). You need to do exercises that target that area. Planks are one of the best. Another is to lay on your back, legs 90 degrees in the air with the bottoms of your feet towards the ceiling. Move your feet in clockwise teensy circles--almost imperceptable--for two minutes. Then reverse to counter clockwise. If it's easy, the circles are too large.

What is causing the bump is the relaxation of your abdominal wall (core muscles). You need to do exercises that target that area. Planks are one of the best. Another is to lay on your back, legs 90 degrees in the air with the bottoms of your feet towards the ceiling. Move your feet in clockwise teensy circles--almost imperceptable--for two minutes. Then reverse to counter clockwise. If it's easy, the circles are too large.

I wish I could do that for my bump. Unfortunately it's not an option so I have to go with dresses that help cover it up and also shapeware.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a couple of dresses recently from Fresh Produce

Cotton some lively prints and I bought one in solid brown

I like the one called tapestry

Short ones and Also maxi dresses

Besides the tummy at my age I like to cover upper arm

Also nice are the little short 1/2 sleeve jackets from Soma a division of Chicos

All these available online and at outlet stores

Same belly pouch here. My favorite style has rouching and sort of looks like it's a wrap dress but Isn't. I have a few that I found at the Dress Barn. I just saw one at Marshalls that was cute but they didn't have my size. My other problem is the dress lengths are usually too short for me. The dress barn dresses are perfect!

We all have different likes and dislikes.......personally, I think an Empire

Waist looks terrible on me:eek:.....I am large in the middle area and most

Empire styles make me look bigger than I already I am.......no thanks.

And they are usually cut too weird for me...or maybe I am the weird one.:rolleyes:

But they always seem to make me look pregnant:eek:...or that is how I

feel in that style.....no thanks again.

I do love jersey and actually found a really cute dress at Chico's on

sale the other day......I will try to find a picture:D

Fresh Produce has some cute stuff.....it is very beachy (in my

opinion).

Edited by Lois R