On Jewel now. MDR menu has changed - no shrimp cocktail

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the follow up. Did the portions seem smaller than expected? I was hearing complaints that the prime rib and tenderloin was cut very thin.

Was Seaview still charging a nightly fee aka "burgers and brews"

Burgers and brews is still in place nightly at the Seaview unfortunately. Very poor decision in my opinion but RCCL likely doesn't care since the Seaview is being replaced next year. We ate there for lunch (no charge) on 2 days this week and found it a much better option than the windjammer. Loved the food there. Wouldn't spend $10 additional however.

RCCL has just about cheapened everything we enjoy. We have been cruising on them since the Sovereign in 1988 and are Diamond members but I think our upcoming cruise on Jewel will be our last on them. Sad but true.

• 5 months later...
trying to go to speciality dinner on pomodoro menu night. anyone know what night that lands on?

Wait until you board the ship, then go to the specialty restaurant you want to book. They will know the MDR menu order.

The MDR Shrimp Cocktail was disgusting the last couple of times we had it anyway --- a few small slimy little shrimps sitting in a puddle on wet lettuce ... which I think was their way of phasing it out .. make people NOT want it again ...

Now .. the Shrimp Cocktail in Chops, on the other hand... good stuff .. massive shrimp ... very impressive!

We were on the Vision 2/7/15 and there was not any shrimp cocktail on the menu until the third night I think. When I asked about it, was told I could get it if I really wanted it. Also, the first nights menu had no formal name and no prime rib as was the case in past cruisers on this ship. Seems like Royal is quick to tell us about changes to the menus that they believe are good, but not when changes like this happen. And as someone has mentioned, no shrimp with the lobster on the second formal night, not that I miss it since I usually ate only the lobster.

Last Sept no prime rib the first night - I was disappointed because I always order it. Can't remember what was on the menu but think it was rather non special.

Last Sept no prime rib the first night - I was disappointed because I always order it. Can't remember what was on the menu but think it was rather non special.

On Oasis in October, it was a striploin on the first night and the prime rib had been moved to, I think either the Saffron menu or the Jasmine menu - one of the two formal nights.

Does anyone remember when there was a shortage of escargot?

Some spoke out saying that by deleting escargot from the menu, Royal Caribbean would be able to pay for the new ships from the savings!;)

Now, escargot is back on the menu. I believe that the same thing will happen with the shrimp.:)

Rick

Our son (and I) would be crushed if they took escargot from the menu! He was 7 yrs old on his first cruise in 2014 and escargot was his dinner every night. He typically had two helpings, and shrimp cocktail. Combine that with bread, and he was one happy dude at dinner each night.

If escargot is missing from our cruise this upcoming April, he will be crushed.

Dan

trying to go to speciality dinner on pomodoro menu night. anyone know what night that lands on?

Boarded Jewel on December 20th for a b2b2b.

Pomodoro was served on December 26th and January 2nd which is Day 7.

There is no Shrimp Cocktail offered as an Appetizer.

Yes there is if you ask.

I agree, we asked and got it this past October, November and December on Enchantment, Brilliance and Freedom.

Waiter had to make the sauce at his station though. I think that's the driving factor.

Edited by John&LaLa

Hello again -

No shrimp cocktail on Brilliance last month. I asked the waiter about it and he told me to look for it on the menu one night later in the week. He did overload my plate on lobster night to make up for it.

We had a similar experience on Adventure in September. I hate to bother the waiter with requests for this now.

Thanks for the updates.