Bringing my own salad dressing

CRUISEWITHH

Several years ago I went to Russia on a river cruise and was worried about salad dressings there (as I am picky). I was going to be gone for 2 weeks.

We have a local company in our state that makes a French style dressing (Dorothy Lynch dressing). I called them to see if they had sampler versions that I could bring with me to Russia. They told me to not worry about refrigerating the dressing and that it would not go bad for the time I was going to be gone. Not sure if this is unique to this type of dressing (French).

You could probably call the company you like and see what they say or look at a site like this: http://www.minimus.biz/Dressings.aspx that sells sample size food.

Whilst I can understand how nice it can be to continue to enjoy your favourite condiments etc- would you arrive at a regular restaurant carrying your own dressing, sauce and butter? Food intolerance I understand but for everyone else, seems a bit extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whilst I can understand how nice it can be to continue to enjoy your favourite condiments etc- would you arrive at a regular restaurant carrying your own dressing, sauce and butter? Food intolerance I understand but for everyone else, seems a bit extreme.

A number people do this. It does not cost the restaurant any income.

And it makes the meal more enjoyable for the person doing it.

A number people do this. It does not cost the restaurant any income.

And it makes the meal more enjoyable for the person doing it.[/quote

Understand there is no cost to the restaurant.

But do people actually bring these items to a regular on land restaurant? I totally understand we all have our favourite items from home but I would think it's insulting to the chef.

Food was awful on this Russian River cruise. There was no way to insult the chef. I am so glad I brought it as this trip only offered 2 options. While I am picky, I do have a dairy allergy and had no idea what to expect. This was the best thing I did on this trip.

As far as butter, the butter served in the dining room on Princess is a mixture of margarine and butter. If Princess served both individually and not the blend, I doubt people would need to bring their own.

Can anyone tell me if they have brought something of their own to the MDR. I will be on the Pacific Princess and I have a food allergy that makes it impossible for me to use any of their salad dressings on board.

The waiters always offer me vinegar and oil, but I hate it, so this time I would like to bring my own salad dressing and leave it with my waiter (1st seating confirmed) This is a sealed commercial bottled salad dressing not my own concoction.

Helen

I'm just reading this and not going to do the whole thread. I laughed when I saw the subject, because for many years I did just that. I always carried my own bottle of dressing, but never left it with anyone. I always took it back and put it in my frig. People laughed, people commented. And they probably thought I was nuts. So be it. Enjoy what you like. :)

Yes, I do. A favorite steak house of mine does not carry the steak sauce that I like. Their house brand is disgustingly sweet to me. I just slip a bottle of my favorite in my pocketbook and use it.

A couple of years ago I would have thought the same thing, and I loved the different homemade dressings Princess offered including a different daily dressing every night. However, about two years ago Princess drastically cut the dressing selections, and frankly I don't care for any of them. The balsamic vinaigrette is the only one that I order, and after a few lunches and dinners I'm pretty tired of it. I've considered bringing my favorite fat free dressing with me, but I've wondered if it's too much of a hassle. I may try it on our next cruise because it's 27 days, and I don't want to eat dressing I don't like that many days in a row.

Edited by FritzG

I have a good friend that loves her hot sauce. She carries a small bottle in her purse where ever she goes so no I don't think it is extreme. Hey what ever floats your boat. :)

Food was awful on this Russian River cruise. There was no way to insult the chef. I am so glad I brought it as this trip only offered 2 options. While I am picky, I do have a dairy allergy and had no idea what to expect. This was the best thing I did on this trip.

As far as butter, the butter served in the dining room on Princess is a mixture of margarine and butter. If Princess served both individually and not the blend, I doubt people would need to bring their own.

As for the butter Princess served, it was always ice cold, impossible to spread!:eek: If the butter was usable I would have eaten it.;)

Thank you all for your valuable input. I am researching small packets as suggested.

After reading your many encouraging posts, I now feel better about bringing my salad dressing to the MDR with me and appreciate the additional information regarding using a small container each night to transport it from my own refrigerator if I cannot get it in small packets.

I now know that asking my many friends on Cruise Critic is the #1 place to go for answers.

Helen

[quote name='tjcletsgo']As for the butter Princess served, it was always ice cold, impossible to spread!:eek: If the butter was usable I would have eaten it.;)[/quote]

One of the benefits of late traditional seating is that the butter has often been out long enough by the start of that seating so it is easy to spread.

[quote name='CRUISEWITHH']Can anyone tell me if they have brought something of their own to the MDR. I will be on the Pacific Princess and I have a food allergy that makes it impossible for me to use any of their salad dressings on board.

The waiters always offer me vinegar and oil, but I hate it, so this time I would like to bring my own salad dressing and leave it with my waiter (1st seating confirmed) This is a sealed commercial bottled salad dressing not my own concoction.

Helen[/QUOTE]

Never had a problem bringing out own stuff aboard. We always bring the travel size Tabasco Sauce for convenience. You can always ask for it, but by the time it gets there you are half way through dinner.

I love CC. The OP quite possibly felt hesitant to ask about bringing personal salad dressing onboard. They may have felt apprehensive that some people would laugh at them or consider them weirdos, etc. After posting the question here the OP finds out that, far from being considered a weirdo or having people laugh or scoff at the query, it turns out that many people do exactly the same thing and bring their own salad dressing or other condiments onboard.

CC is such a wealth of information and people can be so very helpful. Sometimes reading posts here can make my dreary workday soooooo much better. I truly appreciate being part of this community.

[quote name='Thrak']... After posting the question here the OP finds out that, far from being considered a weirdo or having people laugh or scoff at the query, it turns out that many people do exactly the same thing and bring their own salad dressing or other condiments onboard...[/QUOTE]

I personally don't care for any brand of ketchup except Heinz. Many dining establishments choose to use less expensive brands, but I have never brought my own with me as it is inconvenient. If I were to do a really long cruise, however, I would definitely pack a bottle. Edited by Ryndam2002

[quote name='Ryndam2002']I personally don't care for any brand of ketchup except Heinz. Many dining establishments choose to use less expensive brands, but I have never brought my own with me as it is inconvenient. If I were to do a really long cruise, however, I would definitely pack a bottle.[/QUOTE]

Every cruise line I've been on uses Heinz, but I know what you mean about land based restaurants.

[quote name='FritzG']I may try it on our next cruise because it's 27 days, and I don't want to eat dressing I don't like that many days in a row.[/QUOTE]

Exactly so. And that's the difference between a single meal at a restaurant and having a month of dinners missing that one little extra that would make each meal perfect. i don't think the chef on a cruise ship would be too concerned if people did this. He's trying to satisfy thousands of palates and knows that not everyone likes the same things.

[quote name='Pia1913']Every cruise line I've been on uses Heinz, but I know what you mean about land based restaurants.[/quote]

Princess definitely has served Heinz on every cruise I've sailed. Even had the waiters in the dining room at lunch poor it on the plate from the traditional glass bottle.

There are lots of little extras, as I like to call them, that I bring on board to get the most out of my cruise.

One being blue cheese crumbles or I simply ask my waiter the first night for a plate of blue cheese... then I stuff my own olives so I can have my dirty martinis with blue cheese olives whenever I like.

Also a little bottles of tobacco is nice.

I equate these little extra things as just the extra step to make my vacation PERFECT.

A friend of mine always take an unopened bottle of Worcestershire sauce Edited by bunny89