Princess Vacation Protection

J&B in GA

Has anyone ever purchased this insurance and what do you think of it ?

When I compared to other insurance companies, found Princess prices higher for lower coverage amounts, but they do include a cancel for any reason which provides a future cruise credit. This is why I'm considering it, as I may have a work related issue that may force me to cancel with very little advance notice. As Platinum Captain Club members, we will receive the higher Platinum coverage at the Standard rates.

All suggestions and responses greatly appreciated, as Final Payment is now due and I must decide by then.

Thanks,

When I compared to other insurance companies, found Princess prices higher for lower coverage amounts, but they do include a cancel for any reason which provides a future cruise credit. This is why I'm considering it, as I may have a work related issue that may force me to cancel with very little advance notice. As Platinum Captain Club members, we will receive the higher Platinum coverage at the Standard rates.

All suggestions and responses greatly appreciated, as Final Payment is now due and I must decide by then.

Thanks,

We never used to buy insurance. Now we always do and use Princess Ins only with the free upgrade. ;)

Thanks,

In my opinion it depends. If you are purchasing flights they won't be covered unless you purchase them through Princess EZAir. Also, pre and post cruise hotels won't be covered, again unless booked through Princess. Of course, hotels are often refundable / cancelable up to very close to your booking date. If these need to be covered you would need to purchase a separate policy if you had Princess coverage for your cruise.

Of course if flights and hotels are not a concern then I would say go for the Princess coverage, especially with the free upgrade.

Insurance is really a personal preference. No insurance is "perfect" or the right one. It depends on what you want to insure and what risks you're willing to take. It's always a gamble.

We buy the Princess insurance for several reasons. One is that we're automatically upgraded to Platinum. Two, being older, there's no age penalty. Three, it is cancel for any reason. Four, I've needed it several times and never had a problem whether it was "trip interruption" due to a relative getting sick while on a cruise and needing medical care onboard plus living expenses while he was in the hospital, canceling a cruise after final payment "just because," or submitting a Medical Center bill for a nasty cold and being reimbursed.

In addition to Princess insurance, we also have an annual MedJet Assist policy. They will fly you from anywhere in the world in a medical jet to where you want to go for medical treatment as long as you are 150 miles from home. If you check travel insurance policies, many will get you to the nearest medical center. That could be thousands of miles from home.

Edited by Pam in CA

Thanks,

We get trip insurance through "insure my trip" on-line. They offer many options including 1. cancel for any reason and 2. cancel for work related reasons in addition to the standard reasons for cancellations. We felt we also got MUCH better coverage through insure my trip.

We always get the cancel for work related reasons because of my husband's work. They have been a great company to work with. We had a medical emergency a few years ago 2 days before our cruise so had to cancel. Refunding our money was quick and easy (about 2 weeks) after we submitted the signed paperwork for our claim.

The cancel for any reason can be a costly insurance .... cancel or work related I think added about $50 to our policy cost.

Edited by MilliesMom

We purchase Princess Vacation Protection 100% of the time, especially for the Cancel for Any Reason coverage. In fact, I'm in the process of filing two different CFAR claims right now. If I didn't book EZ Air, I might also consider a policy for air change fees, but, really, we do feel we can self-insure for the air portion of our travel costs.

We also have an annual Med Jet Assist policy we've never needed to use, and I was a bit unhappy to learn that they would provide no assistance in the case of our most likely scenario (detached retina) as it doesn't require hospitalization. Still, we're not getting any younger, so we felt it was prudent to have its coverage, too.

We just used the Princess Insurance (we're upgraded to Platinum as we're Elite). DH had surgery 3 weeks before we were to sail on March 7. Called TA and cancelled the cruise 2 days after his surgery. Then called the Princess Insurance phone # and started a claim. Sent in all the necessary papers, along with a letter from the surgeon. Within 3 weeks, we received all money paid for the cruise, less the cost of the travel insurance. Nice part is, if we didn't have a covered reason for canceling, we would have had that amount in a Princess credit. BTW, DH is better than ever and we rescheduled for mid-April... using Princess Insurance again. When we take a cruise that involves flying, we get insurance to cover the flights.

Edited by Sandy R

Insurance is really a personal preference. No insurance is "perfect" or the right one. It depends on what you want to insure and what risks you're willing to take. It's always a gamble.

We buy the Princess insurance for several reasons. One is that we're automatically upgraded to Platinum. Two, being older, there's no age penalty. Three, it is cancel for any reason. Four, I've needed it several times and never had a problem whether it was "trip interruption" due to a relative getting sick while on a cruise and needing medical care onboard plus living expenses while he was in the hospital, canceling a cruise after final payment "just because," or submitting a Medical Center bill for a nasty cold and being reimbursed.

In addition to Princess insurance, we also have an annual MedJet Assist policy. They will fly you from anywhere in the world in a medical jet to where you want to go for medical treatment as long as you are 150 miles from home. If you check travel insurance policies, many will get you to the nearest medical center. That could be thousands of miles from home.

I agree Pam. The biggest reason we use because there is no age penalty. The price for someone (over 60 in Canada) is almost double what Princess charges.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

When I broke my arm in Tahiti, I didn't have it. Never again. I've only used it since once, for expenses due to the one day delay in boarding the Crown when it was late coming in due to the emergency in the South Pacific. They were efficient and paid on the nail.

I buy a policy with Allianz. It has a business rider that if I can't go because of my job, I get my money back (not credit).

My Allianz insurance has much better coverage (medical and evacuation) compared to Princess.

We have used TravelGuard Gold. The coverages are very similar to what Princess has and for a lot less money, for us anyway.

It has cancel for any reason, but only if you get it within two weeks of your initial payment. I'm not sure if you can add a rider for that coverage for extra $$ later or not.

Their website allows you to put in your dates and amounts and it will figure out the premium for all three levels they offer. Then you can decide how that rates with the Princess policy.

Good luck deciding.

We used it in 2010 due to a medical disembarkation in Costa Rica. for my sister and I it paid for 9 days in a hotel, meals, cabs, plane rides home, a private nurse from Costa Rica to Las Vegas, and would have paid for a 100 mile limo ride home, but our car was in Las Vegas. Moms Medicare HMO paid for most of her 9 days in the hospital and Princess insurance paid the balance, it also paid for cancelled flights. Additionally Princess called us every day to make sure sister and I were doing ok and between Princess and the insurance company held our hands and walked us through every step. I forgot it also paid for the days we missed on the cruise. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you but we just add it to the cost of the cruise and move on, because we'll never go without it.

We always get it. Similar insurance when we sail on HAL costs more and that's without the cancel for any reason coverage. I always purchase insurance for our HAL cruises independently. Right now, DH is waiting for a claim to be paid from a December/January cruise. Part of the delay was having to file with his insurance first.

We also have an annual Med Jet Assist policy we've never needed to use, and I was a bit unhappy to learn that they would provide no assistance in the case of our most likely scenario (detached retina) as it doesn't require hospitalization. Still, we're not getting any younger, so we felt it was prudent to have its coverage, too.

That doesn't seem fair or right...my mother had a detached retina and the doctor treated it like an emergency. She lived in Prescott, AZ and the closest hospital that could do the surgery was in Phoenix (a 2 hour drive). They ambulanced her down to Phoenix immediately after the doctor confirmed the diagnosis.

Could you tell me what the medical amount limit they cover? We have MedJet but worry about not having enough coverage for a medical emergency. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for all your recommendations and examples. Due in no small part to your all quick reply's, we've decided to purchase the Princess Vacation Protection package for our upcoming cruise and hopefully won't need it, but will sleep better knowing we have it. CC'ers are the best ! :D

When I broke my arm in Tahiti, I didn't have it. Never again. I've only used it since once, for expenses due to the one day delay in boarding the Crown when it was late coming in due to the emergency in the South Pacific. They were efficient and paid on the nail.

I was on that cruise too and it was quite chaotic and I believe there were passengers disappointed by how Princess ended up handling this scenario. If Princess had provided reliable internet service it would have made a world of difference. I understand there were passengers who were not reimbursed as they expected and believed they would be. I was barely affected as I only had to change my Super Shuttle shared van ride by one day which was little impact to me. It was very difficult to get that change made, but I finally was successful after about 5-6 days. Before this cruise I did not give insurance any thought at all. I did learn from this experience. Now, if I fly to a cruise I will have insurance and will not expect to rely on Princess to take care of anything (unless you had purchased their insurance or other insurance)

That said, Jet Blue flight just opened up for my next cruise, Panama Canal 10 day, Oct 28, 2015 and I purchased insurance offered through Allianz.

I read this thread last night after putting together our next cruise and had just gotten trip insurance. With all of the folks on here that use military OBC, I would like to remind those that also use USAA for insurance, that USAA offers trip insurance with excellent coverage at a very good price. You might want to check it out?

I find the Princess medical coverage too low for comfort--even the Platinum version. As a USAA member I can get significantly higher coverages for roughly comparable prices.

For example, yesterday I purchased insurance for our July, 2016 cruise. Princess would have cost us $750 (with "free" upgrade to Platinum). Medical coverage is limited to $20K. I purchased USAA insurance for $836 (after adding coverage limits for independent air, hotels, etc.) with $100K medical coverage. Nearly all other coverage limits are significantly higher as well.

Granted, USAA policies are age-based, so there may be a time when they become cost prohibitive vs. Princess. Also, the policy I bought does not include cancel for any reason. That coverage is available with a higher tier, and higher cost, policy.

USAA isn't available to everyone, but I urge those who are members to check it out while comparing options.

Besides the much higher cost of insurance purchase not using Princess, all of the policies that we have purchased on own, had to be puchased and paid with-in two weeks of booking the cruise to get the any reason for cancellation coverage.

With Princess, not untill the final payment. The coverage for cancellation after that date, is what is important at our age. Our premimums are $42.32 each, for the free upgrade policy. This is for a 7day, outside fare. We are in our early seventies.

Granted our flights are not covered, but with SWA, we still maintain our price paid for a year after booking, which for us is less than $400.

Also ALL medical coverage, for any insurance policy, starts After all other insureance coverage is applied. So, higher coverage limits are not always needed. IMHO.

Just my 2 cents, for what its worth. :D

Edited by TWOFERTWO

I'm trying to determine how the cost of Princess Vacation Protection compares to other travel insurance. I've downloaded the brochure from the Princess web site, but there is no mention of pricing. Is there a way to find that out? I don't have any cruise booked or coming up--just doing some investigating for next time.

Also, is the "Cancel for Any Reason" an extra charge?

Thanks for any info.

I'm trying to determine how the cost of Princess Vacation Protection compares to other travel insurance. I've downloaded the brochure from the Princess web site, but there is no mention of pricing. Is there a way to find that out? I don't have any cruise booked or coming up--just doing some investigating for next time.

Thanks for any info.

Figure approx. 10% of cruise price. Or maybe 12%. I believe we pay 8% for platinum coverage up to $4,000 fare and then it goes down.

Thanks for any info.

Standard PVP is a minimum of $39pp per cruise. It starts at 8% of base cruise fare but drops to 6% (I think) as the cruise fare increases. If you are at least Ruby in Princess Captains Circle you get the free upgrade to Platinum insurance which covers 100% in a CFAR case. As others have pointed out, the medical coverages aren't the best, but the CFAR is excellent. PVP generally becomes cost effective via a vis other insurance between age 55 and 65, as it's not based on age but on base cruise fare.

CFAR is not extra charge, but, unless you have the Platinum insurance CFAR isn't covered at 100%. The upgrade to Platinum insurance if you don't qualify for the free upgrade is 2-3% of base cruise fare (I think).

We have two other health insurances that cover us out of the county and feel very comfortable with the coverages PVP provides.