Getting off Fantasy! THANK GOD!

molly5673

I thought the same thing 5 years ago when I sailed on the Fantasy. Had to be one of my worst cruises. Staff was the rudest I had ever encountered.

Funny though, the sister ship, Fascination, which I sailed on 2 years after the Fantasy, is just 4 years newer than the Fantasy, was one of the best cruises I have ever had. Even though the ships are both very comparable, the Fascinations crew made the cruise.

I have avoided sailing from Charleston even though it's my closest port of embarkation, partly because of the unimaginative itineraries and partly waiting for a better ship as I'm not a big fan of Fantasy class ships.

Can you tell us what your personal reasoning is when you say that this was the worst ship ever?

Worst ship ever. Carnival should be embarrassed!

Did you just need to vent or do you care to elaborate? We sailed on Fantasy last year and while she is not fantastic, for the dirt cheap prices we had no complaints. Can't expect champagne when paying beer prices.

I am very curious what happened. I cruised on Fantasy w/in the last couple of years & loved it. I love the Fantasy class ships for their people to space ratio & the prices too. We always have a great time. I will agree, they aren't super duper new, but I think Carnival does a pretty good job keeping them very clean & in good repair.:D. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

I love the old gal. Haven't sailed her since Risa departed as CD, though. It's been over a year and I miss her. I've always thought she was in remarkably good shape given her age. Sort of like me! :p

Food and service has always been some of the best I've had on Carnival (21 cruises and counting with about 38 nights on Fantasy).

But, know what? I really don't pay a lot of attention when people start a thread like this. Or when someone claims that their cruise was absolutely perfect and THE BEST EVER!!!

Everyone has different expectations. The people in the cabins next to you have a different experience. It's just one person's opinion of one sailing. A positive or negative review by one person out of thousands really isn't a very convincing sample, is it? Just read what the OP has to say and file it away. What is truth for one is a figment of someone's imagination to another.

There are always a few things that aren't wonderful, but when I get home, the overall feeling is that I've just had a pretty great vacation for a very reasonable price. It's funny how the little things that might have bugged me while on board just seems to recede into the background once I look at the cruise as a whole.

I sailed her about 2 months ago and while it was not the best cruise I have been on, it was not the worst either. For short trips where I can drive to the port (from VA) and given how economical it is, it makes for a great get away.

Like anything, appropriate expectations help. If you sailed Fantasy expecting it to be the QE2, you would be disappointed.

I am curious as to what specifically made you be thankful to get off the ship however. I don't think I have ever had a vacation where I was thankful that it was over and that I could go back to the daily grind. Maybe just me though.

We just cruised the Fantasy this past New Years, and absolutely loved it. I am curious as to what the issues were. I would definitely sail the Fantasy again. And out of Charleston. We loved sightseeing around Charleston prior to cruise.

Worst ship ever. Carnival should be embarrassed!

Not much info here. Did The Fantasy around 2002 and didn't much care for it. Did her again just last year in August, a b2b, where we turned Diamond. We had an absolutely terrific time. I liked the first week, and I loved the second leg of the trip. Everyone treated us like a million dollars. The crew was absolutely fantastic. We had Captain Leo (now on Liberty), Alina, Fatima, Baris, and so many others that I am not naming, that went above and beyond for me and my husband. We sailed her again just last month, and while all of the officers I named above are now elsewhere, with the exception of Alina, we again were treated like a million dollars. Alina is one of the finest officers we have ever met.

If you are booking The Fantasy, you really have to take into consideration that this is Carnival's oldest ship. In addition, the Port of Charleston is different from most other ports.

All in all, we had a fantastic time on the b2b last year and again last month. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. Hopefully you will enjoy your next cruise more.

Sorry to hear you had a awful cruise. We sailed on Fantasy in 2011 and even though it is a small ship we loved it. On our cruise the crew was great and food very good. We would like to sail on her again but we are not interested in going back to Bahamas.

I've posted on here many times about the Fantasy. My wife and I have sailed Fantasy many times, at least once a year and sometimes twice a year. We are going again in June. We love the ship and the crew has always been top notch, at least in our experience. We sailed the Breeze out of Miami last August and the Fantasy in October. We loved both cruises and had a great time on both ships. Of course the Breeze is new, big and has all the bells and whistles. The Fantasy is the smallest and oldest, but she has plenty of good times left in her. I firmly believe the old adage "A bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work"!!!

I'll be on the Fantasy in 22 days. I'm not expecting perfection. It will be cruise #9 for me, #2 for my oldest nephew (11), and the first for my youngest nephew (almost 6). I'll be missing things like Guy's Burgers and the Blue Iguana, but the boys will just be thrilled to be on a ship. I'm hoping the OP tells us where the cruise went wrong for them, so I can prepare myself for it. I tend to think that a cruise is what you make of it, and one bad experience can really bring the whole thing crashing down around you. Everyone has different expectations, and different levels of acceptability. I have heard people say their entire cruise was ruined because of one issue that I felt was really just a small bump in the road. OP, sorry it sucked. I'm definitely interested in hearing what made it so bad.

Been on the Fantasy 3 times in six months. Obviously I like the ship, food and crew. Only thing I could think of would be itinerary or weather. Nothing special to me about Freeport and Carnival misses Half Moon 50% of the few sailings that go there. Weather is luck of the draw. Ship is older yet one of my favorites. Great to do a smaller, less crowded ship now and then, get to meet nice passengers and crew.

I firmly believe the old adage "A bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work"!!!

Aaaaaah, no.

Only if your job sucks, or if you've never had something truly bad happen while on a cruise, neither which thankfully apply to me. [emoji41]

I love the Fantasy class ships for their people to space ratio....

Huh?! What passenger to space ratio?? The only ship in the current Carnival fleet with a WORSE passenger to space ratio (PSR) than the Fantasy class is the Sunshine (which has been discussed at length here). That's about to change when Vista is launched, which will then have the second worst PSR in the fleet.

Some people are under the false impression that, because the Fantasy class ships carry less passengers, that they are more spacious. They are actually more crowded than most cruise ships in service today.

Edited by Tapi

I have not been on Fantasy but I have been on the sister ships Ecstasy and Paradise. I had an awesome time on both. Carnival's website and this website have a lot of information about the ship and itineraries. I did my homework to learn about each ship and my expectations were in line with this class of ship. For a short trip and for the price, these 2 cruises were great. Everyone I came into contact with on these cruises also said they were having a great time and no complaints about the ships. The ships were clean and the service was just great. I found this Fantasy class of ships have most of the amenities of the larger ships just not the crowds and lines. I would not hesitate in taking another Fantasy class cruise.

OP, did you do your homework before you booked on the Fantasy? If you did, you should have known what to expect.

I look forward to the OP's review. It should be an interesting one.:rolleyes:

I have not been on Fantasy but I have been on the sister ships Ecstasy and Paradise. I had an awesome time on both. Carnival's website and this website have a lot of information about the ship and itineraries. I did my homework to learn about each ship and my expectations were in line with this class of ship. For a short trip and for the price, these 2 cruises were great. Everyone I came into contact with on these cruises also said they were having a great time and no complaints about the ships. The ships were clean and the service was just great. I found this Fantasy class of ships have most of the amenities of the larger ships just not the crowds and lines. I would not hesitate in taking another Fantasy class cruise.

OP, did you do your homework before you booked on the Fantasy? If you did, you should have known what to expect.

I look forward to the OP's review. It should be an interesting one.:rolleyes:

Ditto^^^

And no further reasoning from OP. The only complaint I have about Fantasy is they made us get off the ship. I'm thinking about her again in Sept if I can't work out a Baltimore trip. We went for Mother's Day and it was awesome.