Restaurant recommendations for Rome, please

Worldtraveler 4727

Looking for some restaurant recommendations for Rome. I have a couple places ear-marked for pizza, but could really use some suggestions for reasonably priced places for dinner. We are there three nights pre-cruise.

I understand Rome is a walking city--so even though we are staying near the Termini, we will happily walk 30+ minutes. (More gelato then;))

Restaurant called Alla Rampa around the corner from the bottom of the Spanish Steps. Pasta dishes exceptional and fritta mista should be ordered and shared as appetizer. Also be sure to order house/table wine. Tastes good and inexpensive. Enjoy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Looking for some restaurant recommendations for Rome. I have a couple places ear-marked for pizza, but could really use some suggestions for reasonably priced places for dinner. We are there three nights pre-cruise.

I understand Rome is a walking city--so even though we are staying near the Termini, we will happily walk 30+ minutes. (More gelato then;))

I will also be there for three days could you share the pizza places too.

Italian!! Tee Hee!!

Restaurant called Alla Rampa around the corner from the bottom of the Spanish Steps. Pasta dishes exceptional and fritta mista should be ordered and shared as appetizer. Also be sure to order house/table wine. Tastes good and inexpensive. Enjoy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

This one looks wonderful! Thanks so much! :D

We just started the restaurant rec thread last week to try to help with just this question. It's still in it's infancy. If any of you who made recs on this thread, please add them to that thread!

Pizza in Rome: My favorite is Pizzarium. If you do a day at Vatican City, you can do a quick diversion to it - it's just down some stairs and up 2 blocks near the Cipro Metro station. It has been closed for expansion, but Bonci has arranged to have his pizzaiolos at his other store (Panificio Bonci) and has a shuttle to take people there from Pizzarium. It is pizza al taglio, and Bonci has different toppings, from traditional to experimental. Also try the suppli - little fried "torpedoes" of bite-size pleasure! It is strictly stand up until he opens the expansion - no tables!!!

If you are looking for dinner spots because you are there multi-day AND you want some foodie cuisine:

Armando al Pantheon - traditional Roman cuisine.

Roscioli - they turn their deli into a wonderful restaurant at night.

I'll add more when I get back from another visit (mid-April - beg May)… I plan a few meals at new places: Cesare al Caneletto, Pizzaria Emma, Piperno, Panzeroni (sorry Txcruiser if I butchered the name), and some still TBD.

Our favorite place to eat is Sora Rosa. It is the place famous for this flattened chicken. It is cooked under a brick. It is really crisp and wonderful. There is a beautiful garden to eat in. Back a few months ago there was a show on tv about Rome and it was featured. I'm not sure the neighborhood.

Our favorite place to eat is Sora Rosa. It is the place famous for this flattened chicken. It is cooked under a brick. It is really crisp and wonderful. There is a beautiful garden to eat in. Back a few months ago there was a show on tv about Rome and it was featured. I'm not sure the neighborhood.

This one looks excellent! Unfortunately, it is quite a distance outside of Rome---more towards the Appian Way---and would involve a 30E or more cab ride.:(

This one looks excellent! Unfortunately, it is quite a distance outside of Rome---more towards the Appian Way---and would involve a 30E or more cab ride.:(

Oh, sorry! Yes, it is by the Appian Way. Our tour driver took us there. We are going back this June. We have the same driver for our 5 days pre cruise.

Il Colibri, near the Vatican, our family favorite restaurant in Rome. We had dinner there a couple of times before and enjoyed the food there. When we were there in February for lunch, a dozen of priests were also having lunch there. They have daily lunch specials for 10 euros, including a small salad, a pasta dish, a meat dish, and drink.

For a special long established Italian dining experience (Since 1938) in fact PIERE LUIGIS in Piazza de Ricci near the Campo de Fiore . Closed Mondays.

You can pre book on line via their website . A stones throw from the Campo de Fiori and Palazzo Farnesse (Police HQ in Act 2 of TOSCA), but today is the French Embassy .

I am taking notes :) We will be in Rome for our 5th visit in a few weeks.

Have a Saturday and Sunday night for dinners. Already have one night but looking at these recs for the other night !

Keep em coming.

When will you be there? I'll be in Rome, too, in a few weeks (28 days and counting)…

I take it that one of your nights is at Panzerone ;)

Check out Katie Parla (parlafood dot com) - she has not steered me wrong yet on recommendations. She also has an app that lists lots of places to eat. Also, hit up the chowhound website for plenty of places to eat! And, there are a few threads on there with recs for places to eat on Sunday nights…

One place that I'm going to this trip is Emma. On chowhound, one of the frequent contributors says it is open on Sunday. Here's a link to Katie's writeup of the place: http://www.parlafood.com/pizzeria-emma-rome/ Katie's writeup has a link to Emma's website.

We arrive the 25th….. cruise leaves on 27th. So only Sat. and Sun nights. Wish it could be more but with 1 day over, 2 nights there (apartment near Piazza Navonna), 11 night cruise, 1 night post cruise (Grand Minerva) and 2 days home (yeah 2 days - American Airlines cancelled a flight so we can't get all the way home in 1 day) :mad: my dh just can't be out of the office any longer. Someday perhaps we can spend a whole month !!!

Thinking since Panzirone is open on Sunday we will eat somewhere else on Saturday night….. so that opens up more choices…… don't want to go too far from the historic area…… still thinking :)

Slidergirl:

Not sure what the deal is…..seems the food gods are against me.

Was going to make a reservation at Roscioli but it states that are closed on April 25th !!!!! Of course they are……. that place looked perfect ……. know of one just like it ???? Open on Sat. the 25th of April ????

Slidergirl:

Not sure what the deal is…..seems the food gods are against me.

Was going to make a reservation at Roscioli but it states that are closed on April 25th !!!!! Of course they are……. that place looked perfect ……. know of one just like it ???? Open on Sat. the 25th of April ????

Bummer :-( I loved that place when I ate there. One of the very, very few times that I decided to partake of something of each course!!!

The Roscioli family also owns Emma (aka Pizzaria Emma).

I'll suggest you take a trip over to the Chowhound site and ask the good people there what they would recommend as a Roscioli-taste-alike for that date. I haven't been steered wrong yet by any CH recommendations.

I'll be in Florence when you're in Rome ;-( I'm in Rome 4/22-4/25, training to Florence on the 25th around noon, then back to Rome again 4/28-5/1. I haven't even started thinking about my Florence dinners outside of one at Sostanza...

Too bad it's the 25th - Armando's is closed on Saturdays nights too, and it is only about 2 blocks away from the Grand Minerve. Have a cocktail up at the rooftop bar at the Minerve for me!

We try to make our last our last meal in Rome at the Antica Trattoria Tritone located at Via dei Maroniti, 1 and near the Trevi Fountain. This is where we ate our first meal in Rome during our first trip and is now our tradition to go back whenever we are in Rome. Have a great trip!

Z and TB

Bummer :-( I loved that place when I ate there. One of the very, very few times that I decided to partake of something of each course!!!

The Roscioli family also owns Emma (aka Pizzaria Emma).

I'll suggest you take a trip over to the Chowhound site and ask the good people there what they would recommend as a Roscioli-taste-alike for that date. I haven't been steered wrong yet by any CH recommendations.

I'll be in Florence when you're in Rome ;-( I'm in Rome 4/22-4/25, training to Florence on the 25th around noon, then back to Rome again 4/28-5/1. I haven't even started thinking about my Florence dinners outside of one at Sostanza...

Too bad it's the 25th - Armando's is closed on Saturdays nights too, and it is only about 2 blocks away from the Grand Minerve. Have a cocktail up at the rooftop bar at the Minerve for me!

We are staying in an apartment one street over from Piazza Navonna PRE cruise and at the Minerva 1 night POST cruise (May 8th) - havent even thought about where we will eat that night…… hmmmm maybe I should make reservations at roscioli that night since its a friday….. need to check and see if they are open that night.

Will check the chow hound site…. thanks.

tex -- if you are staying at Minerva, give Armando's a try (unless I missed that you are already going there....)

They are open on Friday nights but closed on Saturday evening and all day Sunday.

I have several other small favorites in that vicinity (my usual haunts) but am a bad poster and do not want to share the info for fear they will become even more crowded. :D