Crown&Anchor Revamp

If they do raise the point level to to 250 from 175, what would you suggest happen to current D+ who are in the 175 to 250 range? Be demoted back down and lose all of their perks (which is more than just access to a second lounge that they will all be kicked out of soon enough anyways)?

When Celebrity revamped their loyalty program about 1 1/2 years ago, they raised the requirement but nobody lost out on benefits. Their new way of calculating points was set so no one lost their current levels. When they made the change, they set the date for it to come into effect and that was the drop dead date. Cruises booked, but not finished by that date didn't figure into the new levels under the old system. A lot of angry people.

To stop the overcrowding problem that everyone talks about they should just allow Suite guests into Diamond Lounge....

I am only Platinum but travel in suites and its baffling to see CL packed sometimes with Diamond lounge having empty seats.

If they allowed suites to chose they would pick the lounge with empty chairs.

If they do raise the point level to to 250 from 175, what would you suggest happen to current D+ who are in the 175 to 250 range? Be demoted back down and lose all of their perks (which is more than just access to a second lounge that they will all be kicked out of soon enough anyways)?

They could, possibly, grandfather in to their current tier, but you don't move up to next tier until you get to that level of points. A bit like children who have "inherited" their status from parents and then turn 18. They keep status but points are based on what they have earned.

They could, possibly, grandfather in to their current tier, but you don't move up to next tier until you get to that level of points. A bit like children who have "inherited" their status from parents and then turn 18. They keep status but points are based on what they have earned.

Isn't that what happened in the last conversion from points to nights. Has RCL ever explained why? Is it because of overcrowding in the CL/DL, cost of perks or something else.

Some 2+ years ago, a vacation planner mentioned that a new level would be inserted/created between the D+ & Pinnacle. So far, nothing.

Also, on the 2/2/15 Quantum cruise, there were only a very few Pinnacles and a whole bunch of D & D+. Even with the 3 drinks loaded on the Sea Pass the overflow was to the Music Hall. Wonder if the sailing port(s), eg: FLA ports because of their proximity to cruise ports and warmer weather have more upper tiers sailing.

I don't think you're missing anything. Some people just like being allowed in the Concierge Lounge and really enjoy it. We are D+ and almost always use the Diamond Lounge, with the one exception so far of the Radiance. That CL almost identical to most DL's, and the DL is like mostg CL's. Go figure.

That's how I feel, although, I must admit the CL lounge on the Quantum was way nicer than the DL.

To stop the overcrowding problem that everyone talks about they should just allow Suite guests into Diamond Lounge....

I suspect if notD/D+ could access the CL that would solve the overcrowding as well, and the concierge could focus on the suite guests exclusively. It is a little disappointing to go into the CL and have no seats available. Though, clearly, the change to vouchers has reduced some of that.

Isn't that what happened in the last conversion from points to nights. Has RCL ever explained why? Is it because of overcrowding in the CL/DL, cost of perks or something else.

Some 2+ years ago, a vacation planner mentioned that a new level would be inserted/created between the D+ & Pinnacle. So far, nothing.

Also, on the 2/2/15 Quantum cruise, there were only a very few Pinnacles and a whole bunch of D & D+. Even with the 3 drinks loaded on the Sea Pass the overflow was to the Music Hall. Wonder if the sailing port(s), eg: FLA ports because of their proximity to cruise ports and warmer weather have more upper tiers sailing.

Tbh when RC changed from old system to new, having looked back at old cruise history it didn't really affect anything for us. I think the points we got, and the points calculated were pretty close (within a few here or there). Because of where we were it had no bearing on our level being affected. It was close but didn't match exactly.

My point was more that when X changed, they did go back on a cruise by cruise basis and converted each cruise to the new point system. In essence it was like everyone had points under the new system. I get if RC do this some may theoretically go down a level, especially if they are on the border of a tier level. As such I was commenting that I thought that if this were the case then hypothetically the guest could retain the current status but not move up until the relevant points earned.

At this point it is speculation. However, I personally feel like some of the tier levels are close to each other, yet there is then a vast gap between D+ and Pinnacle.

The other issue with overcrowding in Diamond is that children inherit status and keep that status when they become adults. So we have now reached a stage whereby some of these children are now adults and fall in the Diamond bracket without necessarily having the points. It would be interesting to know the exact figures of Diamonds due to inherited status as opposed to achieved status. This may give us an insightful look into the tier level statistics, and how some tier levels may have been inflated by this policy.

Again I am just speculating, but if they kept their current level (eg Diamond) but had the points recalculated to the new point system, it would give RC an opportunity to rebalance the numbers to what people have sailed. RC then keep the guest happy as they don't lose Diamond status, but RC know it will take longer for said guest to move up to next tier. It hence rebalances the whole system.

Edited by Spurschick

The point of a new loyalty system is not to cut off the current members but to limit the new cruisers from being added at the current rate - make it harder for new members, the same thing the last reshuffle did. Simple math will have the D members swell to such a level that overcrowding will come back along with too many perks costing RCI too much money. The number of levels or even the points at that level are not the main issues - it's the perks and their associated cost.

The TAs and repositioning are a different story, but they are a small number of cruises. It's not like they have to put out money for large overflows on a lot of cruises.

Agree with you 100% on this, when there are masses of D, D+ & PC on TA,s inugurals and repositioning cruises. Which tend to be cheaper off peak cruises.

Not all, but for the most part much cheaper, heads in beds:)

There is a good chance the number of CC members on those sailings are present.

The over crowding then gets reported on here like wildfire in CL, not so much DL;)

I must be lucky to sail at peak times and only once have we witnessed a busy CL

It was no big deal, we had a quick chat with the concierge each evening

Speak to the bar staff, get our drinks and sit outside

Typically spring break, peak times we always find the DL to be under used.

Maybe a solution, sail peak times and spring breaks:eek:

The masses would then experience the quieter lounges.

Geez our last cruise, we were lucky if there were 8 people in the Vortex (temp DL setting)

It was thanksgiving week

Edited by PompeySailor

With the addition of Emerald a few years ago, they did make it 1-3 extra cruises to get to Diamond (depending on length of cruise). After my next cruise, I will be 8 days (so 1 or 2 cruises depending) away from Diamond. After sailing with RCI for 15 years, I would be disappointed if they introduced something to again push out the ability to make Diamond.

As far as more difficult for D+ or to formalize the "invisible" tier between D+ and Pinnacle, I'm good with that.

I do think "loyalty" status should be for "loyalty"...meaning booking and sailing numerous times with the same line. The amount of $$ you spend on any given (1) cruise does not equate to "loyalty" to me, but instead introduces more of a class system.

That said, I don't sail in suites, generally in balconies although certainly have sailed Inside and Oceanview in my earlier days. I would compare my onboard account to anyone else though. I definitely hold my own there; fortunately for us they introduced drink packages which do save us money, but we have upped our excursion spending from years ago as well.

The way I read it is that the first and second person in the cabin can each earn one extra point maximum. So if $600 is spent, then each person gets an extra point. But if only $300 is spent, and there were two people in the cabin (on one seapass credit card) only one of them will be credited with the point.

Since 3rd and 4th guests are not eligible, therefore it tops out at $600.

But perhaps I am reading it incorrectly.

Based on my experience with HAL, the first and second people in the cabin each get 1 day's credit for each $300 spent, up to $300 times the number of nights of the cruise (i.e. up to $2100 for a 7-night, so up to 7 extra days earned by each person if together they spend the full $2100, but no more for anything above that), and that includes gratuities, dining and drinking packages, excursions, shopping, just about anything but future cruise certificates, and it doesn't matter if you buy them on-board or purchase them before the cruise, they count. And to whomever said it doesn't pay to buy your watch on board, funny you say that. On our last HAL cruise, my watch died. I figured out how much buying a watch on board would need to cost to get our spending up to the next $300 level, found a watch I liked for just over that amount, bought it, and subsequently both DW and I got one more extra day's credit because of that purchase, which was the last credit we needed to move up to the next reward tier. I've worn that watch almost every day for two years now, knowing it's probably going to pay for itself from the additional on-board discounts at that higher tier it got us to the next time we sail on HAL.

The other issue with overcrowding in Diamond is that children inherit status and keep that status when they become adults. So we have now reached a stage whereby some of these children are now adults and fall in the Diamond bracket without necessarily having the points. It would be interesting to know the exact figures of Diamonds due to inherited status as opposed to achieved status. This may give us an insightful look into the tier level statistics, and how some tier levels may have been inflated by this policy.

I didn't know children inherited status until our last cruise. We started talking to a young couple on their honeymoon in the DL , they were in their mid 20's . I knew no one in their mid 20's could be Diamond unless they were trust fund kids and didn't work. Curiously I asked how did they make Diamond at such a young age that is when he told me he inherited it from his parents. He said he didn't remember his first cruise because he was 2 years old .

I'm sure we are going to start seeing more and more younger people in the DL . At times that could be a breath of fresh air ..............at times .

Based on my experience with HAL, the first and second people in the cabin each get 1 day's credit for each $300 spent, up to $300 times the number of nights of the cruise (i.e. up to $2100 for a 7-night, so up to 7 extra days earned by each person if together they spend the full $2100, but no more for anything above that), and that includes gratuities, dining and drinking packages, excursions, shopping, just about anything but future cruise certificates, and it doesn't matter if you buy them on-board or purchase them before the cruise, they count. And to whomever said it doesn't pay to buy your watch on board, funny you say that. On our last HAL cruise, my watch died. I figured out how much buying a watch on board would need to cost to get our spending up to the next $300 level, found a watch I liked for just over that amount, bought it, and subsequently both DW and I got one more extra day's credit because of that purchase, which was the last credit we needed to move up to the next reward tier. I've worn that watch almost every day for two years now, knowing it's probably going to pay for itself from the additional on-board discounts at that higher tier it got us to the next time we sail on HAL.

Thank you for sharing your first hand experience.

I didn't know children inherited status until our last cruise. We started talking to a young couple on their honeymoon in the DL , they were in their mid 20's . I knew no one in their mid 20's could be Diamond unless they were trust fund kids and didn't work. Curiously I asked how did they make Diamond at such a young age that is when he told me he inherited it from his parents. He said he didn't remember his first cruise because he was 2 years old .

I'm sure we are going to start seeing more and more younger people in the DL . At times that could be a breath of fresh air ..............at times .

Unless I'm misreading what you heard it sounds like they actually took enough cruises for status. It doesn't matter if they started at two and their parents paid for them.

I'm sure we are going to start seeing more and more younger people in the DL . At times that could be a breath of fresh air ..............at times .[/quote

I can't remember when inherited status started but we actually know lots of families that prefer to cruise than take land holidays these days. That's 80 nights which equates to 12 one week cruises, and if parents stay in suites then only need 40 nights at sea to make diamond. That equates to 6 cruises by the time the kid becomes an adult.

Our DD actually made D+ in her own right at 12. She was 6 months old when she started sailing. Land vacations are a thing of the distant past!!!! And no, sadly, she is not a trust fund baby;)

I truly do not understand why kids inherit status. They should earn their own status. If they have truly cruised the days needed then fine. But not because mommy and daddy did.

Spouses and significant others also are entitled to inherited status. The only level inherited status does not apply is when you get to Pinnacle. At that point it has to be earned.

Unless I'm misreading what you heard it sounds like they actually took enough cruises for status. It doesn't matter if they started at two and their parents paid for them.

I would agree with you.....unless people are saying that the children who started cruising with their parent, inherit the 'already attained level' that the parents have achieved prior to the date that the child began cruising (with them). It would be my understanding that when the child reaches 18, their status would be recalculated, so that it reflected only the cruises that the child took, without the cruise points previously credited from the parents.

Perhaps someone with personal experience could chime in for clarification.

loosing perks has become commonplace anyway. The system is over crowded and needs a major over haul. The airlines just did an overhaul.

Are changes coming - yes. No more Concierge Lounges - renamed to something else for suite guests only. So what do D+ members get on the Oasis that is different from a Diamond member. I am going on the Allure (post drydock) and I am not happy that the breakfast and lunch options won't be available to D+ members. Also the munchies during happy hour were refreshed as necessary in the Clounge - while in the Dlounge you got what was left (no more chocolate strawberries if you got there late).

The last time we went through this 'time of change' we were sent to the Diamond event (bad wine only) from the lounge. I am waiting to see what will happen next.

RCI is looking at the bottom line and what the competition is offering.

I would agree with you.....unless people are saying that the children who started cruising with their parent, inherit the 'already attained level' that the parents have achieved prior to the date that the child began cruising (with them). It would be my understanding that when the child reaches 18, their status would be recalculated, so that it reflected only the cruises that the child took, without the cruise points previously credited from the parents.

Perhaps someone with personal experience could chime in for clarification.

To clarify. C&A confirmed, a child (minor) who has cruised with a parent inherits that parents status. At the time they turn adult (18) they retain the same level, however their points revert to what they have personally cruised. They can not then proceed to the next level status until they accrue the number of points for that status. Points change yes agree. But status is retained.

My suggestion: To elevate the bickering among levels and congestion in the lounges...Diamonds strictly use vouches; no lounge privilege....3 drinks each, that's it. 'Diamond Plus and Pinnacle utilize the 'Crown and Anchor Lounge'....Sea Pass cards will be swiped in the C&A Lounge, so drinks are limited, but can be enjoyed in a more elite environment. Suite guests get what they pay for and utilize a 'Concierge Lounge' with unlimited drinks from 5:30-8:00.The limiting of drinks in and out of the lounge for Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle would surely cut costs.

To clarify. C&A confirmed, a child (minor) who has cruised with a parent inherits that parents status. At the time they turn adult (18) they retain the same level, however their points revert to what they have personally cruised. They can not then proceed to the next level status until they accrue the number of points for that status. Points change yes agree. But status is retained.

Super Thanks.....and let's see if this example is correct -- So let's say child is D+ (because of his parents with 180 points) and then at age 18 when his own points are calculated separately, he may have only 55 (cruise points that he took and which would make him Emerald) -- he still is considered D+, but has to work his own way from 55 to the next 'category change at 700 for Pinnacle'. But all of his perks are D+.

Super Thanks.....and let's see if this example is correct -- So let's say child is D+ (because of his parents with 180 points) and then at age 18 when his own points are calculated separately, he may have only 55 (cruise points that he took and which would make him Emerald) -- he still is considered D+, but has to work his own way from 55 to the next 'category change at 700 for Pinnacle'. But all of his perks are D+.

Yes you would be correct. That's exactly how it is. Glad I could clarify

Edited by Spurschick