corkage issue

LabGuy64

The wine pictured below plus a $15 corkage fee is a total of only $16.99.

22831912TwoBuckChuckpromotionatTraderJoes100_8763_zps6157f211.jpg

Or even less with this 1 Euro wine, about $16.10 total these days.

100_6324110915VinakoperwineforoneEuroaliterbottle_zps82bdbc97.jpg

Or, fill up your own container for about $17.20 including corkage fee.

100_6322110915Vinakoperbulksalesbytheliter_zps4cd5952b.jpg

Bringing a wine you really enjoy rather than take chances on one onboard has a value too...so buying a 20.00 bottle (plus 15.00 corkage) that would cost a min of 45.00 still saves you 10.00/bottle and you gain the benefit of having wine you enjoy.

Which is worth more than the 10.00 savings itself

Exactly, a favourite (especially for us Aussies) is unlikely to be found on the ship.:D

The wine pictured below plus a $15 corkage fee is a total of only $16.99.

22831912TwoBuckChuckpromotionatTraderJoes100_8763_zps6157f211.jpg

Or even less with this 1 Euro wine, about $16.10 total these days.

100_6324110915VinakoperwineforoneEuroaliterbottle_zps82bdbc97.jpg

Or, fill up your own container for about $17.20 including corkage fee.

100_6322110915Vinakoperbulksalesbytheliter_zps4cd5952b.jpg

Lol, I have been on board a ship and the two buck chuck was available as the house wine.:p

Nope, you get them back at the end of the cruise. Edited to add:

Do the wine tour in Ensenada. The LA Cetto winery gives each person a free bottle of wine. Princess was not stopping anyone from bringing their wine to their cabin. I purchased 2 additional bottles at the winery as well.

If you don't want to do the wine tour---LA Cetto sells for approx US$8 (under 100pesos)in the markets--Soriana and Calimax

Two Buck Chuck had a price increase. It is now Two And A Half Buck Chuck!

It's not the best wine in the world but $2.50 gets you wine that compares to other wines in the $8 - $10 price range. :)

I agree with you! We know people who brought a case of wine on board, paid the corkage fee and when they delivered the wine to their cabin, 2 bottles were missing.

Something smells fishy here. If the people paid the corkage fee when they boarded, they must have had the wine in their possession at that time. So why did they have the wine delivered to their cabin? Why didn't they simply carry their wine to their cabin? And if the wine was secreted in their checked luggage, the corkage fee would not have been automatically tacked on. The wine would either have been held at the security room for them to pick it up (at which time they would have paid the fee and carried the wine back to their cabin), or the wine would have slipped past security and been delivered to their cabin without the fee being charged. I have never heard of wine in checked bags being discovered, charged the fee, and then delivered to the cabin. In any event, if one hides wine in their checked bags, then they get what they get. It is supposed to be carried on, per the "Carry On Alcohol Policy" clearly stated on each luggage tag.

That's true. A bottle of Noblio on board Princess is IIRC $27.00. The same wine is on sale at Costco for $4.99 a bottle after the rebate. I plan to bring at least 4 bottles on board, if they confiscate 2 of them, they'll deliver them to our room before debarkation. Isn't worth it to us to pay the $15, and we won't, nor will be buy any wine on board.

How odd. You have done the math yourself and concluded that a bottle of $4.99 wine purchased at Costco can be consumed on board for an extra fee of $15 for a sunk cost of $19.99, and the same bottle can be purchased on the ship for $27, yet you conclude that paying the corkage fee is not "worth it". I am puzzled by what your definition of "worth" is, since $19.99 < $27.

You then go on to proclaim that if your smuggled wine gets confiscated and held until the end of the cruise (which I don't think they will do), you won't buy any other wine to take its place during your cruise. So you will go without wine, rather than buy any, or be upfront about it and pay the corkage fee. So what you are really saying is that you really don't give a hoot about wine consumption which is perfectly fine. But if that is the case, why the need to join in on this conversation? At the end of the day, a $15 corkage fee is now below industry standard at most restaurants, and is below market price for all other mass-market cruise lines that allow personal wine to be brought on board. The hostility shown toward Princess' very lenient and very reasonable personal wine policy seems misplaced.

How odd. You have done the math yourself and concluded that a bottle of $4.99 wine purchased at Costco can be consumed on board for an extra fee of $15 for a sunk cost of $19.99, and the same bottle can be purchased on the ship for $27, yet you conclude that paying the corkage fee is not "worth it". I am puzzled by what your definition of "worth" is, since $19.99 < $27.

You then go on to proclaim that if your smuggled wine gets confiscated and held until the end of the cruise (which I don't think they will do), you won't buy any other wine to take its place during your cruise. So you will go without wine, rather than buy any, or be upfront about it and pay the corkage fee. So what you are really saying is that you really don't give a hoot about wine consumption which is perfectly fine. But if that is the case, why the need to join in on this conversation? At the end of the day, a $15 corkage fee is now below industry standard at most restaurants, and is below market price for all other mass-market cruise lines that allow personal wine to be brought on board. The hostility shown toward Princess' very lenient and very reasonable personal wine policy seems misplaced.

I couldn't understand their point of view either. :confused:

Purchasing a $27 bottle of wine from Princess requires about a $4 tip so it's about $31. Two years ago on RCI corkage in dining rooms was $25 and as you posted Princess' wine policy is reasonable to me.

At the end of the day, a $15 corkage fee is now below industry standard at most restaurants, and is below market price for all other mass-market cruise lines that allow personal wine to be brought on board. The hostility shown toward Princess' very lenient and very reasonable personal wine policy seems misplaced.

Totally agree

That was the same for us. We walked back on the ship with 2-3 bottles each (there were 4 of us). We weren't stopped, carried them out in the open and walked right past security. I think it was due to the fact that it was the last night of the cruise. Was it your last night of the cruise too?

Unless the Mexican wine is superior to any California wine, why carry it back with you...unless you can drink those 2-3 bottles each on your last night of the cruise.

We have certain wines we like of several different varietals usually in the $10 to $20 price range at a wine store. So paying an extra $15 to bring them onboard is not an issue since the same or equivalent bottles would be $40 and up. We almost always drink the wine in our cabin in the late afternoon enjoying a nice snack.

BTW 2 buck chuck here is $3 or more. We have strange liquor laws.

So what you are really saying is that you really don't give a hoot about wine consumption which is perfectly fine. But if that is the case, why the need to join in on this conversation? At the end of the day, a $15 corkage fee is now below industry standard at most restaurants, and is below market price for all other mass-market cruise lines that allow personal wine to be brought on board. The hostility shown toward Princess' very lenient and very reasonable personal wine policy seems misplaced.

Perhaps you missed an earlier comment by the same poster:

"Once we were told to go to the alcohol table, but we picked up our stuff after scanning and walked right past the table."

I always find it odd when someone posts something like this.

If one would like to continue to get away with their actions,

it seems counter-productive to advertise them.

And, posts like that make me wonder about princess security in

general. If this is the type of enforcement that is going on,

pretty much anything can be brought on board.

Wine might be innocuous to other passengers, but other things

might not.

Hello, Princess? Time for some of your fleet trainers to visit your ships.

And, posts like that make me wonder about princess security in

general. If this is the type of enforcement that is going on,

pretty much anything can be brought on board.

There is a difference between detecting alcoholic beverages and asking you to go to a table and detecting something that could be dangerous. In the latter case, it would be inspected at the X-ray station or if in checked luggage once on the ship with the passenger present.

When I drinK two buck chuck I feel like the enamel has been eaten off my teeth.......

lol, i have been on board a ship and the two buck chuck was available as the house wine.:p
Edited by LabGuy64

We always check a case of wine when we go on a cruise. On our last links cruise from La to Sydney, we checked two cases.

There are a lot of really good, very inexpensive wines in the world that I like a lot better than the wines we can get on board for $36.00 per bottle. We were getting really good wine in Italy and Portugal for two euros a bottle and Trader Joe's has some really decent wine in the three to four dollar range. We happily pay the corkage fee on a good bottle that ends up costing is $19.00 with the corkage fee, rather than drinking ship wine that we don't even like for $36.00 plus the 15% tip.

There is a difference between detecting alcoholic beverages and asking you to go to a table and detecting something that could be dangerous. In the latter case, it would be inspected at the X-ray station or if in checked luggage once on the ship with the passenger present.

It is a pretty thin line that you are splitting.

Someone posts that they are easily able to beat security.

That's a problem.

Please can you clarify? So if I take several bottles on board can I drop them off for chilling prior to dinner or am I expected to carry the bottle to the table and the waiter will then grab an ice bucket?

I really don't mind paying the corkage fee especially if I'm taking champagne on board.

Please can you clarify? So if I take several bottles on board can I drop them off for chilling prior to dinner or am I expected to carry the bottle to the table and the waiter will then grab an ice bucket?

I really don't mind paying the corkage fee especially if I'm taking champagne on board.

Since the doors to the dining room are closed until seating begins, I doubt if there is a way to drop it off in advance. Even though the AT dining rooms may be open before arriving for dinner it would be difficult to chill wine & get it to your table. I have seen passengers bring wine chilled in their cabin's fridge & the waiter put it in an ice bucket in the dining room.

Edited by Astro Flyer

You will have an ice bucket in your cabin that your steward will keep filled with ice. You can chill your wine in your cabin. We have done that.

The prices are often 3 times the going rate on board. IOW, a good $20 wine will cost you $60 on board. $20 plus $15 = $45.

Your math is incorrect! That would be $35.00!:rolleyes:

Edited by TomCruises