Barcelona

Ricktan

We will embark from Barcelona for our Med cruise. Every time I pull Barcelona up on google, the page seems to start with...beware of pick pockets.....and scams, thieves, etc...... I know that cities always have some of this element but I haven't pulled up any other place that has such a reoccurring theme.....should I be more worried? Starting to wonder how much I want to walk around!!

Would love advice from those that have been there, done that.....

Tanya

Our first visit to Barcelona was last September prior to boarding the Prinsendam. Like you, we too had read about pick pockets, thieves etc and were quite skeptical. We were there at the same time as a huge festival was being held and so we chose to stay just outside of the Ramblas area and old town where the festival was taking place. We did walk down the Ramblas during the day to the Boqueria. You must be aware of your surroundings - we travelled with two others and we were always watching out for each others backs. Two of us had expensive cameras - with PacSafe straps - we did not carry large sums of money and protected our credit cards and what money we carried. Barcelona is a beautiful city and we will return there again this fall. Hope this helps.

Have been there many times for business or pleasure over the past 15 years. Like any touristic destination, please be careful: do not take too much cash or credit cards with you and 'zip' up your possessions.

If you stand in a line or in a group of persons, please ensure that no-one will lean into you, as this person may help him/herself.

Barcelona is a very nice city and you will enjoy the culture, the people, the food & wine and above all, the live on the street: nothing is nicer than enjoying a drink or tapas from a streetside cafe.

Also: taxis are not too expensive and with the fast underground metro service and the (touristic) busses you can move around easily!

Had my pocket picked in Naples. Found Barcelona a lot "safer". Spent 10 days in Rome and never had a problem. In Naples I was in a hurry, last minute decision and didn't do anything right.

Don't carry "extra" credit cards, especially not your wife's.

Do not think of a pickpocket as a single person. I believe there may of been as many as 4-5 involve in Naples.

If you get "picked" don't screw around with the police. Get on the ship and make the phone calls to the banks. My calls were made in less then a half hour and PLENTY of damage was already done. US banks stood with us, that was not a problem. The next 25 days on the cruise had some low spots with no cards and cash.

Was pretty funny when HAL figured out the card backing the cruise was canceled. They were a lot of help.

Edited by aa7yy

As long as you are not flashing money or jewellery around, you will be fine. DH and I spent a few days in Barcelona before our trans-Atlantic and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We stayed 1/2 block off Las Ramblas so we were there every evening for dinner & drinks. We always walked so that my purse (cross body bag) was between us, and also ensured that money was carried safely inside our clothing. I kept my digital camera strap around my wrist and clasped in my hand. I don't think you have to be paranoid, you just have to be "aware".

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Barcelona is one of my favourite pre-cruise ports and a favourite city. So much to see, so much to do. Lovely places to have a bite and fabulous ambience.

Yes, there are some gypsies and yes, there are some pick pockets. and they do work in groups. They watch for the obvious. And the others come in.

Watch for the gypsies (with flowers or herbs) - just shake your head no, the children and practice common sense stuff and you will be fine.

Take the standard precautions, don't wear flashy jewellery, flash money and carry unnecessary valuables. And avoid "fanny packs". Like some places in Israel and others, they will be slit without you knowing it and everything will be gone.

We are back in the fall again as well and looking forward to it and yes, we are staying in the Old Quarter. :) We know we have to be aware of our surroundings, but honestly, if you are aware, it's not a huge issue.

Like any big city with a population of indigent people, just be careful. Hate to mention this but also watch out for the children. We rarely carry our credit cards and if we do, it is a card that has a very low limit. We do make use of the 'brassiere bank' (my DH has a different term - use your imagination....) except for a few dollars in the cross-body bag. As we usually hold hands anyway (he says to prevent me from wandering off checking this out) the bag is between us. We have done many days in Barcelona without any problems but we do try to avoid crowds. The Hop On Hop Off buses are great if you have an interest.

If you are going to any of the major attractions, i.e. Sagrada Familia, we highly recommend you get tickets ahead of time so you do not have to wait in line! There are several web sites that can help with this.

It is one of our favorite cities, so have a wonderful time - just be as careful as you would in any major city.

Barcelona was the worst that I've experienced. I actually have very little desire to ever go back there, despite how beautiful the city is. Several times I'd put my hand in my jacket pocket just to find someone else's hand in it (I didn't have anything in my pockets). I was very tempted to break their finger but decided not to start an international incident...

Any time someone walks up to you and starts chatting you up for no reason - hold on to your purse and walk away, their partner is about to rob you blind. Our tablemates had their camera stolen in a restaurant, when they set it on the table (on an outside patio). Same scenario, someone walked up to the table and asked them something. A couple of seconds later, the guy was gone and so was their camera.

I was there with my parents, and at one point we couldn't find the shuttle to the port. So my mother waited on a park bench with the luggage, and my dad and I walked a couple of blocks to figure out where to go. When we came back, turned out that she set one small bag on the bench next to her - some guy walked up to her and asked her a question, she told him she didn't speak Spanish, and he smiled, thanked her and walked away. In those few seconds, his partner on a bicycle rode past the bench, grabbed her bag and she didn't even realize it until they both were long gone.

Just be very aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. Barcelona is a wonderful city...our favorite. Having been forewarned, we didn't wear any jewelry, kept our credit cards and a small amount of cash in a pac safe wallet around our necks and under our shirts. Left my purse and other valuables back at the hotel.

In Barcelona and in the other places we visited on our Med and TA cruise.

We didn't have any trouble in Barcelona, in fact we haven't had trouble anywhere in Europe, but we've been warned in several cities. I get real nervous...kind of....if I see a lot of children dashing around. In Rome at the Spanish Steps we stopped at a small bar at the top of the Stairs with a good view. The waiter pointed out what was going on and it was like watching a show as the children worked the crowd with the adults on the side. He said the police were reluctant to step in other than run the children off as they didn't want to arrest children and the adults disappear like smoke when the police show up. Our habit is carry as little as possible in a front pocket. No backpacks and no purses if possible. Try to relax and enjoy the scenery but, as we say in the Army, with your head on a swivel. :)

I spent two weeks there one summer studying Spanish. I was a big fan of Rick Steves and his advice to wear a money belt that fits inside your pants is a great one. It doesn't show and if you need a credit card in a store, there are discreet ways to pull it out, use the credit card, replace it and stuff the money belt back inside your slacks. As Rick says, they don't try to steal your underwear, so they won't know it is there. He also says only carry in your pocket what you are willing to lose.

I never had a problem while I was there. We did thwart a couple of pickpockets in Madrid one time. That was fun!

Deb

should I be more worried?

You should not be more worried but you should be more aware of what is going on around you. This is not just for Barcelona but for any large city in any country. Riding the Metro in Barcelona a few years ago a 'gentleman' asked me about the next station as his partners - a man and woman - tried to get to my pocket. They were somewhat surprised when I grabbed the woman's hand reaching for my pocket and I yelled. I couldn't think to curse in Spanish but I'm sure they understand what I was saying as they ran off the car.

This incident doesn't scare me off as I will be in Barcelona on Friday to start the cruise on Sunday on the Prinsendam.

We did the NA inaugural TA starting in Venice. In Catania Sicily, a woman shoved her baby in my face and I guess her young daughter was to do her bit, however I had jumped backward instead of grabbing the baby so nothing happened.

Our priest got aboard in Barcelona and at the first mass notified us that he was shakened as he was relieved of personal effects, including his passport, in the Barcelona metro. We had successfully done the evening tapas tour, including the Gothic District, without incident with any members of the tour group.

It is no worse than any other city. Always be alert, wherever you go.

Be alert on the Ramblas especially around groups that gather to watch mimes, people dressed as statues, or play those dice games. It is in many cases a setup to distract you for pickpockets or thieves.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I agree with the other posts which say that it is no worse than any other large city. You just need to be aware and keep your money a money belt or similar. However, I do have one suggestion, which I read about after my ATM bank card had been cloned: Don't use the ATM's, even bank ATM's, around a major tourist attraction. I used one across the street from La Sagrada and money started disappearing from my checking account within days. Fortunately Federal law protects us, and the bank put it back in my account by midnight.

Enjoy Barcelona! I would like to live there for a while. And, if you have time, take the train to Montserrat. It is lovely.

Excellent point about ATM's. Also, my nephew is in cyber intelligence and strongly recommends that one NEVER use their cash card anywhere else but their own bank and then at the window only. You do not have as much control over theft with a bank card as you would with a credit card and in some cases, once the money is out of your checking account - it is gone.

Excellent point about ATM's. Also, my nephew is in cyber intelligence and strongly recommends that one NEVER use their cash card anywhere else but their own bank and then at the window only. You do not have as much control over theft with a bank card as you would with a credit card and in some cases, once the money is out of your checking account - it is gone.

You are going to make me do some research now! I'm not sure that federal law does not cover our bank account in such instances. There was certainly no question on Bank of America's part that the funds were covered in such a situation. Will check on this.

take us away -

Just checked (love Google!). Apparently it depends on how quickly you report the loss. After 60 days from the date you receive a statement, you may eat the full loss. The act applies to both credit cards and debit cards, and time is of the essence.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I hate to allow a few 'bad' seeds control my time there. However, after seeing Pacsafe on here, I goggled and found the money pouches for hanging around your neck and for my DH's belt right inside his pants. One good thing is that my DH definitely puts off a (don't mess with me) Alfa attitude so I think that helps.....the other side of that coin is that if someone does "reach out" I will be concerned about him getting arrested!! This brings up another question. Do you carry your passport around while in port??? Only carrying what I don't want to lose is a VERY short list :D

Tanya

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I hate to allow a few 'bad' seeds control my time there. However, after seeing Pacsafe on here, I goggled and found the money pouches for hanging around your neck and for my DH's belt right inside his pants. One good thing is that my DH definitely puts off a (don't mess with me) Alfa attitude so I think that helps.....the other side of that coin is that if someone does "reach out" I will be concerned about him getting arrested!! This brings up another question. Do you carry your passport around while in port??? Only carrying what I don't want to lose is a VERY short list :D

Tanya

I am a pretty savvy traveler and I was pickpocketed in Barcelona. They got my wallet out of my zipped bag that was over my shoulder and under my arm, without me even being aware of it. Do not underestimate the fact that they are skilled....

Luckily, I had left one credit card, some cash and my passport in the safe. I highly recommend to anyone that you do the same.

You should definitely report the theft to the police or appropriate local authority. In some cases, that documentation is needed in order to recover money taken from an ATM, etc.

And by the way, my ex-H was a street savvy New Yorker who almost got his money stolen on the Spanish Steps in Rome -- he decided (against advice) to use a fanny pack. Despite being extremely situationally aware, the gypsies had nearly cut through the strap of the pack before he was able to extricate himself and shout/push back.

HOWEVER, I will say that these crimes are generally crimes of opportunity and hardly ever are what we in the US would consider a mugging with injury. They just want easy pickings from an easy target and as little trouble as possible.

(P.S. On Tripadvisor, I believe Barcelona is voted worst city for pickpockets over and over. But don't get a false sense of security elsewhere -- Naples, Athens, Rome, and Paris are also usually very high on the list....)

We were watching a utube video of Las Ramlas ( where we will be in 2 weeks !! ) and the amount of women walking about with their purses wide open hanging off their arms was amazing to me. Common sense goes a long way ... oh and a paranoid husband helps too lol.