P&O's tipping policy!

High and Dry

The price rise been discussed already on here, there is quite a long thread about it. I'm happy with the price as its the cheapest I have come across on any cruise line.

Lets hope we don't start another thread about it :mad:

Major cruise lines ex UK are still trying to keep to £100 a night per person for inside cabins, Next years cruises are still at this level.

This has been the figure for at least 7 years. If basic price isn't rising something else has to fill the gap.

The price rise been discussed already on here, there is quite a long thread about it. I'm happy with the price as its the cheapest I have come across on any cruise line.

Lets hope we don't start another thread about it :mad:

You have just contributed in the next one.;)

Come to think of it, so have I :)

No its not fair AND its not fair that we should have to pay tips... WHICH I flatly refuse to pay

Do you think staff treat you any different or the service you recieve is lower when you have took auto-tips off?

This is my first P & O cruise and the seems to be a mine-field.

Thanks

Do you think staff treat you any different or the service you recieve is lower when you have took auto-tips off?

This is my first P & O cruise and the seems to be a mine-field.

Thanks

On our last P&O cruise on board Azura, we asked the waiters if they knew which passengers had opted out of the auto scheme and they said Yes.. We also asked them which way they preferred to receive their tips and they said 'through the auto scheme'!!

I spoke to some of the waiters on the cruise before the auto tips were introduced and they were all very concerned about how things would work out. On subsequent cruises when I've chatted to either waiters or cabin stewards they seem to be happy with the scheme and indeed some of them have said to me that it's fairer and they prefer to receive tips this way.

what an Awful comment.

You should not be allowed to cruise.

how rude you are

Well I am glad you are not in charge of P&O policy.

It's a voluntary payment, you know, you are not legally obliged to.

You may not like that people do not wish to pay a gratuity but it is their right not to, and I would say it is you that are being incredibly rude with your comments.

I spoke to some of the waiters on the cruise before the auto tips were introduced and they were all very concerned about how things would work out. On subsequent cruises when I've chatted to either waiters or cabin stewards they seem to be happy with the scheme and indeed some of them have said to me that it's fairer and they prefer to receive tips this way.

On our last cruise, our cabin steward was excellent, and we were 110% happy with his service, but he did tell us he was not happy with the auto tips as sometimes P&O deducted money from the tips if they were any complaints, or they felt that something could have been done better. That's up to P& O I suppose, but if I give tips I want the whole amount to go to the staff, not part of it, ...and what happens to the amount that has been deducted..I do hope this does not end up in P&O,s pocket.. As far as I am concerned they should not have the right to deduct any auto tips I have paid, as they are intended for the staff that have served us, so for that reason, I deducted the cabin stewards auto tips, and handed them to him personally.

We are cruising again in December, so not sure what to do this time. I do worry that some staff would just accept any deductions, for fear of their jobs ????

...and would passengers know that this was happening anyway ???

NCL have just increased their cabin charge to $12.95 or $14.95 pp depending on cabin.

Drinks have increased ie whisky 4cl from $8.50 to $9.50 and 18% is added for service which was 15% before.

So £5 pp sound a good price for excellent service.

j

I must be one of many on this Forum who is sick to death of reading about tipping. It just goes on and on.

Its simple............ 3 options.

1 Factor in the cost of auto tips and consider them as part of your cruise. You can still tip extra if you want to if consider you have had exceptional service.

2 Remove auto-tips and tip all the staff directly with as much as you want.

3 Remove auto-tips and don't tip at all.

We take Option 1. We came to this conclusion ourselves. It really isn't that complicated. Surely each and every person can make up their own minds without all these endless posts about what we should or shouldn't do.

I lived in Spain for years and they never tip. Personally I do think it's different on cruises and tips are an accepted part of the staff wages.

I really don't care what anyone else does. Its up to them and no amount of discussion will change anyone's mind as to what they do.

1 Factor in the cost of auto tips and consider them as part of your cruise. You can still tip extra if you want to if consider you have had exceptional service.

Indeed, although understanding the true nature and methodology of the auto-gratuity helps do decide which to choose.

I must be one of many on this Forum who is sick to death of reading about tipping. It just goes on and on.

We take Option 1. We came to this conclusion ourselves. It really isn't that complicated. Surely each and every person can make up their own minds without all these endless posts about what we should or shouldn't do.

I lived in Spain for years and they never tip. Personally I do think it's different on cruises and tips are an accepted part of the staff wages.

I really don't care what anyone else does. Its up to them and no amount of discussion will change anyone's mind as to what they do.

Well said. At the end of the day it is nobody`s business but their own.

I'm a little scared to ask this but can't find an answer......

Are the waiters who deliver room service included in receiving the autotip, or is it correct to tip them separately?