Long flight survival????

3red7s

To all,

We will do our 1st Viking River Cruise in August...Budapest to Nuremburg. Everyone tells me I will fall in love with river cruising and will book many more. The furthest we have flown would be Cleveland, OH to San Juan Puerto Rico. I am open to any and all suggestions on how to survive a long flight....please help me out CC people.....thx!!!

Bring an eye mask to make sleeping easier, and a neck pillow if that is comfortable to you. Make sure you wear socks so you can remove your shoes. I bring some food that I will like instead of airline food. And headphones with lots of podcasts that should put me to sleep :)

Drink water regularly, avoid alcohol if you can. When you land, power through until after dinner. Taking a nap (in my experience) can result in jet lag for days.

Are you able to pick your own seats? Seat choice can matter a lot.

1. Upgrade. Seriously. If you can at least go with Premium Economy, it will really help your overall experience. I've done it with British Airways and they include alcohol (if you like that) plus nicer meals, a small separate cabin and a bunch more amenities.

2. Start adjusting your sleeping pattern to Europe a few nights beforehand.

3. When you get to your destination airport, jump on "their" time. Do not keep figuring out what time it is at home. Completely ignore that. Just forget it.

4. Bring lots of Chlorox wipes and wipe down everything you touch on the plane.

5. Use handwipes instead of the disgusting water that comes out of the tap in the bathrooms. They've done tests on it (I think it was 20/20 that did it) and the water that comes out of the tap has more germs in it than the toilet water.

6. Best advice - relax and consider it part of your vacation. You don't have to do a thing and everyone is there to serve you. All you have to do is sit there and enjoy it. :)

When I fly to Europe from the east coast, I take night flights and 5mg ambien with the meal and then try to sleep immediately. (for Asia, 10mg ambien) I wear compression socks and bring slippers (because the lav floors are gross but I don't want to keep my shoes on either - I keep the slippers & socks in a shoe bag after the flight - until the return flight - so they don't contaminate anything else:p I prefer the aisle so I can get up and move and use the lav when I need, though that also means I might need to move for people in the inside seats. But that's my preference (I also have a little claustrophobia - getting worse as I age, as I discovered last week when I had a window seat on a Shanghai to Detroit flight:rolleyes:)

In the tote under my seat, I make sure I have my headlamp (in case my overhead light is out and I want to read - yes, this has happened to me - within the last year) lip balm and moisturizer for my face & hands, and face wipes - after dinner I'll clean my face & hands and apply moisturizer as well as drink lots of water (because yes, I'll also drink some wine) Sometimes I watch a movie though usually not on a Europe overnight flight because there's not enough time and I want to try to sleep. But I always carry my own mp3 & ear buds because I know what I have is comfortable.

I try to pack light but I also bring the items I know will make my travel more comfortable. Have fun - the flights are worth it when it gets you to new places to explore!!

I have to be honest and admit I am always miserable on the flights. However I can not afford an upgrade so am packed into my seat but do try and get the aisle seat. On the way to my cruises I imagine all the exiting things that are going to happen and that helps. On the way home day dream about sleeping in my own bed! Don't think about the flight concentrate on your new adventure. I am going in August also leaving from Amsterdam and traveling to Budapest on Viking. First river cruise so am excited!

Take some of those little Colgate wisps because your teeth feel really gross after awhile and as stated before, you really don't want to brush your teeth in the bathroom. If you don't know what they are, they are little bitty disposable toothbrushes that have a dot of toothpaste in them. You don't have to use water or rinse, just sort of a touch-up.

Also, I can't stand not taking my shoes off, but be careful as your feet will swell sitting up all night. Make sure your shoes are not tight to begin with or you won't be able to get them back on. Another vote for drinking lots of water. Airplane air is very low in humidity and it will dry you out.

Most airlines supply blankets and pillows for intl flights so you don't need those unless you just want your own.

On the way to my cruises I imagine all the exiting things that are going to happen and that helps. On the way home day dream about sleeping in my own bed!

That describes me to a T! My DH, on the other hand, used to fly between the East Coast and Europe every other week (sometimes every week) for more than 5 years before his retirement. He can still get on a plane and go to sleep even before the dinner is served (I've actually seen him fall asleep before takeoff) and wake up in time for breakfast. It helps immensely that we are still using frequent flyer miles he accumulated back when he worked to upgrade to business or first class but I'm still amazed at how he an tune out everything just by putting on his earphones and an eye mask.

That describes me to a T! My DH, on the other hand, used to fly between the East Coast and Europe every other week (sometimes every week) for more than 5 years before his retirement. He can still get on a plane and go to sleep even before the dinner is served (I've actually seen him fall asleep before takeoff) and wake up in time for breakfast. It helps immensely that we are still using frequent flyer miles he accumulated back when he worked to upgrade to business or first class but I'm still amazed at how he an tune out everything just by putting on his earphones and an eye mask.

I feel your pain. I have one of those husbands too. He can sleep standing up. So irritating! I've tried Ambien and it doesn't work for me. I usually sit there and watch him sleep because I'm too excited to sleep. :D

I have to take my own advice - #6 above specifically. I'm already mentally preparing myself to relax next time so I can hopefully fall asleep.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Lots of good advice and tips. Just don't get worked up over the flight. It may sound daunting but really it isn't. I've made several flights fron the West Coast to Europe ( non stop) and it isn't all that bad Try to get up and walk around from time to time. I've had many a conversation with crew while most pax slept. Have even gotten restaurant and sightseeing recommendations from them!

Lots of good advice. We do not upgrade and are crammed in coach, but I'm normally still able to sleep a little. Here's my list:

Consider your actual flying time and time available for sleeping. Depending on where you're departing, most of the flights are "overnight", but as you hit cruising altitude they serve dinner (subtract 1 hour from sleeping time), then as you approach destination they serve breakfast (subtract another hour from potential sleeping time). Then there's announcements, drink service, movies, etc. You could end up with no sleep or real rest and be dragging your first day. I kind of plan that as soon as dinner ends, I try to get comfortable to sleep.

Benadryl. I've never taken Ambien, but I'll take one Benadryl when I board which kicks in by the time dinner is over.

Sleep mask. I like to use this, is keeps me from opening my eyes and being aware of movement and light around me.

Ear plugs. Although I have noise cancelling earphones, these are kind of bulky to sleep in, plain ear plugs work to muffle noises.

Pillows/blankets - I have an inflatable neck pillow that works -- but really the seats aren't comfortable and I just make the best of it. Sometimes I'll sit on the airline pillow (or put it behind my back). I try to stretch out my legs as best as possible, which means limiting what goes under the seat in front of me.

Hit the ground running... well, not literally, but we always have an idea of what we want to do the first day that is interesting enough to engage us, keeps up moving and allows for an early night that first day. Adrenalin helps! I'm always excited to explore a new city.

Edited by beesKate

Avoid using the pillows and blankets as they are not cleaned between trips (this does not apply to business class). Use the bacterial wipes on everything, tray table, arm rests, etc. The advice about not drinking water from the sink is important. I always bring on board a large bottle of water which I try use up during the flight. Ear plugs and an eye mask are a must. I was a tour guide for 18 years and learned to relax and doze on flights, but never got a good night's sleep......the hardest part is staying up until bedtime your first day. There is an advantage if you can fly on a day flight from the East Coast, as you arrive in the evening on the same day and can go right to bed.

As someone with extra girth and long legs, I loathe the idea of long flights. We don't have a lot of miles on any particular airline for upgrades nor a ton of money for a regular first class seat, but we do fly Icelandair's Saga Class - which is their first class/business class. While not cheap and always requires a stopover in Iceland, it is at least half the price of almost every other carrier's first/business class. Its comfortable and of course, comes with food/drink, etc. Round trip to Europe will cost you roughly $2400 dollars - depending, of course, on where you fly and when. You can also break up your trip and stay over in Iceland for a day or two if you so choose. In truth, I tend to gear our itineraries based on where they fly....

And to echo all the others, its imperative you adjust your mental clock to the local time upon arrival, to minimize the stress on your body clock... And water, lots and lots of water (get an aisle seat)..

I always wear compression socks (very conscious of the risk of blood clots....) and never take my shoes off. I find that my feet will swell if I do (and then can't get the shoes back on!!) If I travel when the weather is warm, then wear my socks and hiking sandals (yup, a bit of a fashion disaster - but it works!!)

I have noise-cancelling ear-buds - and that has been the best purchase for me during long flights. I can watch a movie, and not strain to hear the sound. It was a surprise to discover how much this little thing impacted my comfort during the flight.

DH can sleep without problems - I am lucky if I can grab 30 - 45 min once or twice during a 7+ hour overnight flight. I am very conscious of my fellow passengers, so will not completely recline my seat - one of the reasons, I think, why I don't sleep well.

We can't afford business or premium economy - so always look for a 2 seat configuration. If we don't have an option (and we don't on our upcoming trip to China....) then - being a loving wife - I will book window & middle so my DH can have the window.

I make sure I am hydrated (drink lots of water) - and don't drink alcohol. I am careful about what I eat - and often will pick around the meal. I am not a picky eater - but find over-eating on a plane often results in some indigestion.

If we arrive early morning - or early afternoon - we will take a power nap. Just enough ( 30 minutes or so) to get us through to the evening. If we go to bed too early, then we are up in the middle of the night - and it sets the next day off poorly. We have tried to tough it out - and stay awake - but that doesn't work for us.

We are hoping to go to Australia in the next year or two - and my *dream* is to be able to upgrade for that flight. We did a trip to NZ without an upgrade - and it wasn't pretty.....

Fran

I have to be honest and admit I am always miserable on the flights. However I can not afford an upgrade so am packed into my seat but do try and get the aisle seat. On the way to my cruises I imagine all the exiting things that are going to happen and that helps. On the way home day dream about sleeping in my own bed! Don't think about the flight concentrate on your new adventure. I am going in August also leaving from Amsterdam and traveling to Budapest on Viking. First river cruise so am excited!

That! All the other advice here, except the use meds one, is the best I could come up with. Plus this one, no caffein for 24-36 hours preflight east bound.

That! All the other advice here, except the use meds one, is the best I could come up with. Plus this one, no caffein for 24-36 hours preflight east bound.

All of the above plus one I learned from my son, who was in the army: The soldiers use Nyquil Nightime (or similar product). They take 2 capsules with dinner and by the time they're finished, they're feeling sleepy. It's cheap, requires no RX, can be packed in luggage and the gel caps don't make a mess (although I always leave them on the card). Just check with your Dr. if you have high blood pressure. My personal pastime on flights to Europe: my Kindle Fire, not to read, but to play games!! Spite and Scrabble can keep me entertained for hours!

Edited by Hydrokitty

I find you get a bit stiff cramped up in the same seat for a long period. It is a good idea to go to the bathroom and get in line and then when you get nearer the front go to a different bathroom, at the back of that line, unless you need the bathroom! Walk to the furthest bathroom to get a longer exercise.

Hang about at the back where the galley is and talk to the staff. This takes up a bit of time and they sometimes do you a coffee for you. Take an interest in them and they look after you.

If you can sleep this is good, it's normally pretty cold so make sure you have layers to add on in the dark period. Always put your seat belt on outside any blankets etc. so staff can see you are wearing it. If the "Fasten Seatbelts" sign comes up due to turbulence etc. the staff will wake you if they cannot see you are buckled up. Now that would be irritating if you have finally just dozed off.

Have a new magazine from the shop in the airport newsagent. Reading that passes time. A puzzle book is handy although some flight entertainment consoles have games nowadays.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Make sure to do leg exercises every hour or so to prevent blood clots.

We use our accumulated airline points only to book business class seats for long haul flights. We had a flight to/from South America and couldn't get the business class flights. It was brutal; it took 4 days for my well padded butt to recover from the flight down. Now we book as soon as the flights become available and adjust our dates, if we have to, to make sure we get business or first class.

I agree with all of the suggestions about drinking water, water and more water!!

On our first trip to Europe we flew SFO to Rome and I have never been so miserable and uncomfortable in my whole life, I swore I would never fly to Europe again, but eventually I succumbed to the allure of travel and was ready to try it again---only this time, differently.

I know this plan doesn't work for everyone (maybe no one) but it works very nicely for us. First of all, we book all European flights using British Airways miles and always book Business Class if available. If Business Class is not available Economy Plus is a nice upgrade from Economy.

We fly from SFO to JFK (an easy 5 hour flight which we can tolerate in Economy on Jet Blue or Virgin). We have a relaxing dinner and spend the night at a hotel near JFK.

The next day we fly JFK to Heathrow and depending on where we are going in Europe and what the connections are we will either spend another night at Heathrow or take a connecting flight same day.

Granted, this turns a one day trip into a two or even three day trip, but the wear and tear on the body are totally worth it in our opinion. The taxes that we pay flying through Heathrow are horrific but when all is said and done we are paying no more (usually less) than we would pay for an economy ticket if we weren't using miles.

Like I said, this surely doesn't work for most, but for us it makes the trip bearable (and even kind of fun). :D

Edited by 2pbears

I use diphenhydramine at home (that's the generic antihistamine in Benadryl and many other "nighttime" medicines) but don't like it for flights as it occasionally allows me to sleep too long or feel groggy. With ambien, I know exactly how long I'll sleep based on dosage.

But here's the really important part - I know these things because I have tried them AT HOME. Before a trip. Do NOT take an unknown drug (prescription or over the counter) for the first time when you are on vacation, esp not on a plane! Esp with Ambien - many people have adverse reactions (including my mother) so ALWAYS try a new drug safely at home first!

My husband and I disagree on the value of upgrading (we'll do premium economy and love Air France's Prem Voyageur for getting to Europe) but if the difference is too much, I'd rather get the cheap plane ticket and splurge on a nice hotel and a massage upon arrival. Husband says that doesn't make a difference if he's unable to sleep and loses a day or two of vacation due to jet lag problems. So, different strokes for different folks, as always.

I use diphenhydramine at home (that's the generic antihistamine in Benadryl and many other "nighttime" medicines) but don't like it for flights as it occasionally allows me to sleep too long or feel groggy. With ambien, I know exactly how long I'll sleep based on dosage.

But here's the really important part - I know these things because I have tried them AT HOME. Before a trip. Do NOT take an unknown drug (prescription or over the counter) for the first time when you are on vacation, esp not on a plane! Esp with Ambien - many people have adverse reactions (including my mother) so ALWAYS try a new drug safely at home first!

My husband and I disagree on the value of upgrading (we'll do premium economy and love Air France's Prem Voyageur for getting to Europe) but if the difference is too much, I'd rather get the cheap plane ticket and splurge on a nice hotel and a massage upon arrival. Husband says that doesn't make a difference if he's unable to sleep and loses a day or two of vacation due to jet lag problems. So, different strokes for different folks, as always.

It pains me, but I have to agree with your DH on this one. Nice hotel and massage doesn't counteract 8-10 hours in economy class! You are right about trying new drugs at home first of course. I had Dr. prescribe Ambien for me and I spent the night hallucinating like crazy! Worst reaction I've ever gotten to Nyquil is dry mouth and if I take it on an empty stomach the result is the same as a very large Starbucks coffee! Most importantly though check with your Dr. BEFORE taking ANY OTC cold remedy if you have high blood pressure.

I haven't tried Ambien, and won't. I have used a muscle relaxant (in Canada, the Robax family, active ingredient methocarbamol, plus a pain killer). This helps me relax and takes care of the mild pseudo-sciatica problem I get from too much sitting. I find a glass of wine can help, but no more.

I've mused about trying Unisom, a mild OTC sleep aid, but I find that it makes me feel tired out the next day, so I would be careful about that.

Lots of water. Judicious use of alcohol. Light food intake. As much exercise as possible--leg exercises, standing, etc.

I take my ipod, my phone and usually my tablet--getting them charged is an issue, but one or other will usually last for a while.

And as much room as you can afford. We go for Premium Economy wherever we can, and it's a big help. Done Cathay Pacific, British Airways and Air France.

Always fly in a few days previous, if you can. I find the "power nap" once settled into your hotel can help if you desperately need it--followed by a good hot shower, a walk and then dinner.

Coming home's a different matter--I'm retired so I don't have to hit the ground running.

Some studies indicate that the blue light from electronics mess with your melatonin and sleep cycles . . . exciting games keep me alert when I want to be bored and asleep. ;)

Vacations are not a good time to use medication that are new to you. There are some that, with my doctor's consent, that I discontinue for the duration of my vacation.

It pains me, but I have to agree with your DH on this one. Nice hotel and massage doesn't counteract 8-10 hours in economy class!

The biggest difference is that I can sleep on planes far more easily than he can. But then I'm usually messed up longer once we arrive, despite getting right on the correct timeline. I've stopped trying to win and now just try to survive:D:eek:

The biggest difference is that I can sleep on planes far more easily than he can. But then I'm usually messed up longer once we arrive, despite getting right on the correct timeline. I've stopped trying to win and now just try to survive:D:eek:

Now I have a Gloria Gaynor earworm. :cool: