Count on cruise itinerary to attend wedding?

dkm

Hi All,

My family needs to attend a wedding in Nassau, Bahamas in middle of August. Instead of flying from Atlanta and booking hotels (which is very expensive) we're considering driving to Port Canaveral and taking a 3 day cruise on RC's Enchantment of the sea that is scheduled to spend the whole day in Nassau on the day of the wedding (August 15th). Should I have concerns that a cruise itinerary change could screw up our plans to be at the wedding? Any thoughts?

-daniel-

Hi All,

My family needs to attend a wedding in Nassau, Bahamas in middle of August. Instead of flying from Atlanta and booking hotels (which is very expensive) we're considering driving to Port Canaveral and taking a 3 day cruise on RC's Enchantment of the sea that is scheduled to spend the whole day in Nassau on the day of the wedding (August 15th). Should I have concerns that a cruise itinerary change could screw up our plans to be at the wedding? Any thoughts?

-daniel-

Since you used the word "needs" to attend a wedding I would not count on a cruise. The ship could have propulsion issues, encounter bad weather or need to return to a port due to a medical emergency. I would fly and stay in a hotel.

if there is a Hurricane that causes the cruise cancellation, the hotels will probably close. Its a short hop on the ship. The probability is it will be ok but if you have to be a certain place at a certain time in general cruise ships are not the way to do it.

One more think. Ships sail on a schedule....If you are at the reception partying away. You might just be having too god a time to remember to get back to the ship....Then you will have some big expenses to get back home and get your stuff.

When you read the cruise contract, it specifically states that they can change, replace or cancel any port, at any time, for any reason whatsoever.

If this is a wedding you MUST attend, don't do it via a cruises. If you want a cruise, and are willing to risk not making the wedding, then have at it!

On our 1st cruise, they totally reversed the order of our ports.....so had we been counting on being at a certain port on a certain day, we would have been screwed!

Edited by cb at sea

Since you used the word "needs" to attend a wedding I would not count on a cruise. The ship could have propulsion issues, encounter bad weather or need to return to a port due to a medical emergency. I would fly and stay in a hotel.

Of course, if there is a hurricane preventing a cruise ship from calling at Nassau, it is likely that flights would be cancelled as well. Either way, considering the use of the term "needs", there is sufficient iffiness about a cruise to think twice.

However, it does seem like a good idea and probably worth the risk, unless the family's presence is so desperately "needed" that the wedding would be ruined for everyone else if the ship were diverted. I'd go for it, never having been all that crucial an attendee at any wedding other than my own or my childrens'.

Of course, if there is a hurricane preventing a cruise ship from calling at Nassau, it is likely that flights would be cancelled as well. Either way, considering the use of the term "needs", there is sufficient iffiness about a cruise to think twice.

However, it does seem like a good idea and probably worth the risk, unless the family's presence is so desperately "needed" that the wedding would be ruined for everyone else if the ship were diverted. I'd go for it, never having been all that crucial an attendee at any wedding other than my own or my childrens'.

The hurricane could be affecting the cruise port not necessarily Nassau. If its a 3 day cruise then Miami is the likely embarkation port. Also the hurricane could delay the ship the week before from coming back on schedule and this could affect the OP's cruise. If she "needs" to get to the wedding I don't see how a cruise is a good alternative in August.

The hurricane could be affecting the cruise port not necessarily Nassau. If its a 3 day cruise then Miami is the likely embarkation port. Also the hurricane could delay the ship the week before from coming back on schedule and this could affect the OP's cruise. If she "needs" to get to the wedding I don't see how a cruise is a good alternative in August.

It all depends upon what "NEEDS" means. My daughters used to "need" certain brands of sneakers, my fraternity brothers often "needed" a beer. Too often people confuse "wants" with "needs". Only the OP really knows - it does seem like a good idea - the chances of a particular ship not making a particular port on a particular day are actually pretty slim - as Harry Callahan put it: "Do you feel lucky ... well, do you?".

Thanks all for your input. I've enjoyed the discussion!

We'd be leaving from Port Canaveral and the cruise price is actually less than the airfare. Overall VERY tempting... but the wedding is for my niece on my wife's side, so if we don't get there I'm toast! So yeah, as far as my wife is concerned, we NEED to be there and I guess we'll be flying after all (my loss is Delta's gain!).

-daniel-

We'd be leaving from Port Canaveral and the cruise price is actually less than the airfare. Overall VERY tempting... but the wedding is for my niece on my wife's side, so if we don't get there I'm toast! So yeah, as far as my wife is concerned, we NEED to be there and I guess we'll be flying after all (my loss is Delta's gain!).

-daniel-

Understood - I would NEED to make sure I did not have any part in doing anything which contributed in the slightest fashion to my wife missing her niece's wedding.

-daniel-

Smart man. Happy wife, Happy life!:D

You have probably a 99.9% probability of making it. However, if you decide to fly and do not arrive several days early, you probably have greater than a 0.1% probability of having airplane problems and not making it. So, you pays your money and makes your choices.

DON

Hi All,

-daniel-

NEVER EVER assume that port calls are a given.

last year a bride missed her wedding as she sailed and the rest of the party(including the groom) flew and the port was missed due to the ship being unable to dock/anchor out.

Ports get canceled, itineraries get changed with or without notice. It is a small risk you may not be in Nassau as scheduled but it could happen. Weather, mechanical problems, dockworkers strike..... all sorts of reasons.

Hi All,

-daniel-

Not a wise decision.