Online check in for homeward flights

madgemonica

I have never flown home to UK directly from the ship so have a couple of queries. Our flight out of LA is not till 3.45pm. What sort of time will we leave the ship?

What about online check in for the flight home? Previously our hotel reception desk has done this for us but being on ship , how do we do it? Will we have to buy an Internet package just for this purpose or will someone do it if we ask. Hope someone can answer this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You would have to buy some minutes or the internet. Sometime they offer a 15-20 minute package for just this scenario. However the internet may chew up those small amount of minutes as it can be very slow.

Can someone at home check you in? Thats what we do sometimes.

Are these flights your own? Or are they through Princess?

Do you have transfers on the package?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

You will be off the ship before 10, likely earlier. You can check in directly at the airport unless you have a need to check in precisely at 24 hours prior. In that case it is better to have someone do it for you or investigate your airline policies to see if you can pre-arrange automatic check-in at the appointed time.

We had minutes left in our wifi account on an international cruise, so we used their computers to check in and print boarding passes. You can either print at the airport or the Internet Cafe onboard. There is a nominal fee but the tech didn't charge us. :)

The reason for doing the check in was to get 2 seats together. I object to paying £30 each for each leg of our journey to pre book seats. Or am I being tight??(I am from Yorkshire)

Edited by madgemonica

Like I said can someone at home check you in?

Since you have a flight/transfer package they will already have you set up with a transfer and departure time. based on your flight time. You will receive this info onboard toward the end of the cruise with your disembarkation time/instructions/bag tags.

My Mum was from Derbyshire. No you are not tight. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

You have to have purchased internet mins. The internet on the ship can be slow, so allow enough mins. Could take a half hour. Sometime after 3:45pm on the day before the flight go to the internet cafe, log in to your account then to the airline site and print your boarding passes. Princess charges 50 cents/page to print. If it was me I would spring for the 60 pounds to try and avoid the middle seats, even though the cost is excessive.

When I flew back from LAX in December I could book the seats well in advance going and returning, around 2 months. That was United but I'm fairly sure that's the way most of them do it now.

The reason for doing the check in was to get 2 seats together. I object to paying £30 each for each leg of our journey to pre book seats. Or am I being tight??(I am from Yorkshire)

My wife prefers that we sit across the aisle from each other but I certainly would not pay for it or go oout of my way to deal with ship internet to do it. We have been married for nearly 50 years and a few hours not sitting next to each other would not be the end of the world.

Other than seat choice, is there any advantage to doing on line checkin as opposed to airport check in. Even if you do on line checkin, you still have to go to the kiosks to print your luggage tags and maybe your boarding documents.

DON

I think thats what the OP said they could do but did not want to spend the $$$

I booked seats from home in October, we sailed in November and got back in December.

im flying ba in november and i cant pick our seats till check-in 24hrs prior to boarding im flying back american airlines and seats are already booked

strange ??????

I see that pretty regularly now.....

Thats because they want you to purchase premium seats.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

If you are flying with BA (and I think you are though our flight is 10 minutes before yours 3:35pm though not till the end of April) you don't have to print your boarding pass you can check in and collect at the airport.

The ship's internet runs about 75 cents (50 pence+/-) per minute. Maybe you'll have a shipmate who would volunteer a few minutes for you? Do remember that on the last day the internet café can be jammed.

Sometime after 3:45pm on the day before the flight go to the internet cafe, log in to your account then to the airline site and print your boarding passes.

The important goal is to select your seats.

You do not have to print the boarding passes on the ship, just check in enough to get those seats assigned.

With hundreds of your new best friends also checking in and many of them printing boarding passes, the Internet at that time can be very slow and thus may cost more than you want for the time needed to actually print the boarding passes. You can just get the seats selected and then print the boarding passes at the airport.

im flying ba in november and i cant pick our seats till check-in 24hrs prior to boarding im flying back american airlines and seats are already booked

strange ??????

Not so strange as each airline has their own rules.

Edited by caribill

Please take this the right way and not as a criticism but as something to note for future reference.

As a canny Yorkshire man looking to save £30 what on earth were you doing paying what I suspect was £880 per person to book through Princess, who may well change your flight right up to the last week or so.

Next time book directly with the airline which if you book early enough will cost you around £750 per person economy, on either BA or Virgin, the only down side being that you have to pay in full up front. Also if you are booking Virgin (we actually prefer BA - but that is another subject)., you gert to select your seats for nowt as soon as you have booked.

If you decide to pay a bit extra to fly Premium Economy, then take note, that it often cheaper to fly to/from Manchester via Heathrow than to get on/off the same aircraft at Heathrow.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I have never flown home to UK directly from the ship so have a couple of queries. Our flight out of LA is not till 3.45pm. What sort of time will we leave the ship?

What about online check in for the flight home? Previously our hotel reception desk has done this for us but being on ship , how do we do it? Will we have to buy an Internet package just for this purpose or will someone do it if we ask. Hope someone can answer this.

You would have to get on the internet onboard and do it. I've done it for other people when I've done mine as we have free minutes and I don't mind helping some one out. Since you will have plenty of time when you get to the airport, you can check in at the airport. The line may be long, but you won't have to do it on the ship. You'll probably get to the airport around 11:00 am as debarkation goes fairly quickly.

You would have to get on the internet onboard and do it. I've done it for other people when I've done mine as we have free minutes and I don't mind helping some one out. Since you will have plenty of time when you get to the airport, you can check in at the airport. The line may be long, but you won't have to do it on the ship. You'll probably get to the airport around 11:00 am as debarkation goes fairly quickly.

This does not help the poster who wants to get across-the-aisle seats for both people.

By the time they get to the airport, there may not be two such seats available across from each other in the same row.