Is 18% the new norm for cruise tipping?

Some cruise lines have started upping the auto gratuity from 15% to 18% for drinks, drink packages and dining in the specialty restaurants (did you know people tip on top of the $25-$35 surcharge?).

A recent Cruise Critic blog looks at "tip creep":

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/blog/is-18-the-new-norm-for-cruise-tipping/

Interested to hear the Aussie perspective!

Not in the least surprised especially for Australian based ships where compulsory tipping is not applied

The companies will claw back revenue by whatever means they can devise and increasing the tips (levies) on items that cannot be avoided is one way of doing so

I wonder how long it will be before an attempt of some sort will be made to ban independent tours at port calls or make it so difficult for independent tour operators to access the wharf areas that passengers will be forced to take ship shore excursions

The cruise companies lose thousands of dollars to the independent tour operators so I hold my breath on this issue

John

I remember when 10% was the norm, now nearly 20%. The amount the server receives goes up as prices go up anyway, so now it has nearly doubled over the rate of inflation.

My big problem is when I pay say $5 for a drink, then nearly $1 just to hand me the bottle or can. How many cans do they hand out per hour.

Then some here on CC advocate tipping $1 a drink on top of that :confused::confused:

Some of these bar servers must be making an absolute fortune.

I remember when 10% was the norm, now nearly 20%. The amount the server receives goes up as prices go up anyway, so now it has nearly doubled over the rate of inflation.

My big problem is when I pay say $5 for a drink, then nearly $1 just to hand me the bottle or can. How many cans do they hand out per hour.

Then some here on CC advocate tipping $1 a drink on top of that :confused::confused:

Some of these bar servers must be making an absolute fortune.

I very much doubt it.

I think they deserve every cent they make.

I very much doubt it.

I think they deserve every cent they make.

Not saying they don't deserve it, but at $1 to $2 a drink and lets say 20 drinks and hour that's $20 to $30 AN HOUR. And 20 drinks an hour is only one every 3 minutes, no bar I've ever been involved with would let staff get away with serving that slow.

My biggest bug bear though is that they charge more per drink than on land anyway and then the tip on top.

Example

December $3.50 a can of coke, plus 18% 63 cents. I can get coke in pretty much any bar on land for $3.00 with no tip. And that is without factoring in the exchange rate, which meant a can was almost $5 AUS and the tip all but $1.

It doesn't effect me, as I get a soda package anyway and then tip anyone who has served me a lot and well, at the end of the cruise.

But stand by my position that $20 to 30 an hour for a bar tender is pretty good money.

I was curious if they charge the 18% autotip when you use the bionic bar on Quantum class ships too! haha.

I think 18% is way too steep but hey it could be 50% for all I care as long as I'm happy with the overall cost including the tip:)

I was curious if they charge the 18% autotip when you use the bionic bar on Quantum class ships too! haha.

I think 18% is way too steep but hey it could be 50% for all I care as long as I'm happy with the overall cost including the tip:)

Yep to me it's all about the total cost, and as I always have a soda package it doesn't bother me, I just really dislike the whole concept and it appears that some are making a lot of money and seems like an attempt to hide prce increases.

Not saying they don't deserve it, but at $1 to $2 a drink and lets say 20 drinks and hour that's $20 to $30 AN HOUR. And 20 drinks an hour is only one every 3 minutes, no bar I've ever been involved with would let staff get away with serving that slow.

My biggest bug bear though is that they charge more per drink than on land anyway and then the tip on top.

Example

December $3.50 a can of coke, plus 18% 63 cents. I can get coke in pretty much any bar on land for $3.00 with no tip. And that is without factoring in the exchange rate, which meant a can was almost $5 AUS and the tip all but $1.

It doesn't effect me, as I get a soda package anyway and then tip anyone who has served me a lot and well, at the end of the cruise.

But stand by my position that $20 to 30 an hour for a bar tender is pretty good money.

I guess it all depends on which bars one frequents.:rolleyes:

By the time you add on the 18% then factor in the currency conversion drinks become very expensive. Expensive enough for me to consider not cruising on those lines at the moment, unless the fares are seriously good.

Example

If they were able to keep that $20 to $30 per hour, it would be quite amazing. Nearly every employee on the ship would be begging to transfer to the beverage department.

But of course they do not keep all that money - and all the other crew are not trying to get those jobs.

Every time a barman on a ship receives a $1 tip, parts of that $1 go to: Beverage Manager, Assistant Beverage Manager, Cellarmaster, Beverage Servers, a dozen or so Deck Stewards, a dozen or so Beverage Stewards who stock bars and clean them, and a dozen or so Provisions Staff who load, unload, move, inventory, and otherwise handle all the bar stocks.

That original $1 tip shrinks to about 10 cents, and that $20 to $30 per hour shrinks to about $2 to $3 per hour.

Would you work 13 hours every day, 7 days a week, for $2 to $3 per hour??

If they were able to keep that $20 to $30 per hour, it would be quite amazing. Nearly every employee on the ship would be begging to transfer to the beverage department.

But of course they do not keep all that money - and all the other crew are not trying to get those jobs.

Every time a barman on a ship receives a $1 tip, parts of that $1 go to: Beverage Manager, Assistant Beverage Manager, Cellarmaster, Beverage Servers, a dozen or so Deck Stewards, a dozen or so Beverage Stewards who stock bars and clean them, and a dozen or so Provisions Staff who load, unload, move, inventory, and otherwise handle all the bar stocks.

That original $1 tip shrinks to about 10 cents, and that $20 to $30 per hour shrinks to about $2 to $3 per hour.

But its not $2-3 per hour is it? It is their base salary plus the share of the fixed gratuity plus any cash tips they receive and suddenly they are earning way more than a recent grad lawyer or doctor.

Edited by Adidas4fun

Your comment of '13 hours every day, 7 days a week' is incorrect - on Princess at least. Crew are not permitted to work more than 70 hours per week. (13 hours x 7 = 91) On Princess all crew have to keep a timesheet that is initialed by their supervisor. They are told very firmly when they join the ship that the timesheet is a legal document and it has to correctly reflect their working hours.

I do not know how accurate your other comments are, but I am dubious. :) I do not believe the tips are shared as widely as you say. :)

I wonder how long it will be before an attempt of some sort will be made to ban independent tours at port calls or make it so difficult for independent tour operators to access the wharf areas that passengers will be forced to take ship shore excursions

The cruise companies lose thousands of dollars to the independent tour operators so I hold my breath on this issue

John

That would be the beginning of the end of the cruise industry, if they did that. After all, there are other travel choices apart from cruising.

Your comment of '13 hours every day, 7 days a week' is incorrect - on Princess at least. Crew are not permitted to work more than 70 hours per week. (13 hours x 7 = 91) On Princess all crew have to keep a timesheet that is initialed by their supervisor. They are told very firmly when they join the ship that the timesheet is a legal document and it has to correctly reflect their working hours.

I do not know how accurate your other comments are, but I am dubious. :) I do not believe the tips are shared as widely as you say. :)

Agreed!

Also, regarding the question on machines with self-serve machines, yes the packages required for those machines do also require gratuities.

Also, regarding the question on machines with self-serve machines, yes the packages required for those machines do also require gratuities.

Thanks.

Wonder how they justify that, and who gets it.

Tips are shared among the crew in the tipping pool. Many of the crew on board receive a flat wage and are not in the tipping pool.

The "pool" is supposed to even things out so everyone who works, but who may not come into contact with the passengers, has an incentive to do well.

We came across a case once with a cabin steward. He was new to the job and had not tipped the crew that bring the sheets up from the laundry , so he was left till last for his supply. That put him well behind everyone else. So the tipping system has its own pecking order within the crew as well.....

eg ..a steward who doesnt share some of his tips , may find that the barman is a bit slow filling his order and the barman who doesnt share his tips may find he runs out out of fresh glasses ...and so it goes.:rolleyes: