Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

They often do these types of dinners on a longer cruise and neptune guests are surely at the top of the list. While not with the captain, I dined with the second officer (not sure that's the proper title) and about 13 others. While I appreciated the opportunity I'm not the type of person who enjoy these types of things as I feel uneasy. I'm sure other people feel differently. I was in a lowely ubstucted oceanview when I was invited. I was told that they do this on longer cruises by the officer.

We found in recent years, we enjoyed dinners in Pinnacle more often than the formal dining room Captain's Tables of the past. Many Hotel Directors, Chief Engineers, Captains etc prefer entertaining out of the MDR.

Either way it is very special and always a treat. Most are wonderful hosts.

Scrapnana

Thanks hugely for the photos!! Great job you do!! Loved the photos of the Captain dancing.

We've sailed HAL for a LOT of days and we have NEVER, EVER seen a Captain who acted like this! I am ASTOUNDED. This is just not what we have been experiencing on HAL.

He is what HAL needs a lot more of: a good sport who participates, obviously very sincerely and seriously. I would suggest that he be in line for the World Cruise once Captain Mercer is done with that one.

The combination of this Captain and Mark Pells as HD is outstanding! We seriously made a big mistake not booking this cruise!!

There was another Captain that I saw act like this at a black/white ball and it was one of our other favorites - Captain PJ.

Just curious how hot it is? And are there lots of bugs? I'm planning what to bring for next year. [emoji6]

It's in the high 80s today. Bugs really haven't been a problem so far but I am prepared if they do cause trouble.

No hot water in our cabin again this morning. They sent a steward to verify before they would order a fix. Trust me, when you leave a shower with your teeth chattering there is nothing that needs verification.

It's in the high 80s today. Bugs really haven't been a problem so far but I am prepared if they do cause trouble.

No hot water in our cabin again this morning. They sent a steward to verify before they would order a fix. Trust me, when you leave a shower with your teeth chattering there is nothing that needs verification.

Sorry, sure hope they get it taken care of soon and permanently.

Sorry to hear this.

Not a good situation.

They often do these types of dinners on a longer cruise and neptune guests are surely at the top of the list. While not with the captain, I dined with the second officer (not sure that's the proper title) and about 13 others. While I appreciated the opportunity I'm not the type of person who enjoy these types of things as I feel uneasy. I'm sure other people feel differently. I was in a lowely ubstucted oceanview when I was invited. I was told that they do this on longer cruises by the officer.

We have stayed many times in the PS -- long and shorter cruises. Only once were we asked to dine with the captain.

A few times when we were in the Neptune Suites we dined with the Second Officer and several times with 1 particular hotel manager.

You can say that again. Cold water showers are not fun!

There was another Captain that I saw act like this at a black/white ball and it was one of our other favorites - Captain PJ.

DAM!! I missed that. Would have been GOOD to see him!!

Where is he now -- Zaandam?

Thanks for letting me know, Melodie. That makes my day!

what a shame you would feel uneasy - it was a wonderful experience and so glad I didn't have to cancel. The captain was charming and the other guests were so interesting. I had a retired USA general on one side and a doctor on the other. My husband enjoyed the very lovely director of marketing who sat beside him. I am quite comfortable at these functions.... and the food was superb!

As to weather - yes very hot which you must expect in this part of the world. No problems with bugs, however.

Edited by Lizzie68

DAM!! I missed that. Would have been GOOD to see him!!

Where is he now -- Zaandam?

Thanks for letting me know, Melodie. That makes my day!

Yeah as far as I know he is still on the Zaandam.

Lizzie sounds like you had a great time at the Captains table.

>SNIP<

Oh boy that is awful. I'm so sorry they don't seem to be able to fix the problem :(

what a shame you would feel uneasy - it was a wonderful experience and so glad I didn't have to cancel. The captain was charming and the other guests were so interesting. I had a retired USA general on one side and a doctor on the other. My husband enjoyed the very lovely director of marketing who sat beside him. I am quite comfortable at these functions.... and the food was superb!

As to weather - yes very hot which you must expect in this part of the world. No problems with bugs, however.

Glad you had such a good time at the Captain's dinner. We, too, love these dinners and agree that the food is very, very well done.

You are missing some really nice Vancouver weather: sunny with a cool breeze. Not as nice as where you are, though!!

Very happy you enjoyed your dinner! :D Sounds like an interesting group.

dixiefinn - the Black and White ball was in the "On Location" and Shane announced it on the PA as well as the show times were changed to accommodate the Black and White Ball.

sorry, but quote doesn't seem to be working in TapaTalk. Not sure why?

I agree 100% Lizzie. Great table companions, great host and a wonderful, wonderful dinner.

It is hot, but I promised myself I wouldn't complain after the winter we have had. I took my bug spray today to Costa Rica, but I didn't need it. Or at least, I thought I didn't, until I found a huge green bug on my shoulder. LOL

Kazu, the Captain will problably serve this wonderful red wine I believe it was a Sauvignon, I can't remember the name of it. Lost it actually, maybe you can get it for me, hope, hope. It was very good.

Ironically Pathfinder, he served the same red wine that Vict0riann brought to the wine tasting. Mission Hill. How's that for coincidence? Vict0riann's DH gave us some info on this very highly rated wine at the roll call wine tasting so we felt like we knew something when it was offered.

dixiefinn - the Black and White ball was in the "On Location" and Shane announced it on the PA as well as the show times were changed to accommodate the Black and White Ball.

sorry, but quote doesn't seem to be working in TapaTalk. Not sure why?

Thank you Jacqui, but how did you know when you were packing to bring something black or white?

Ironically Pathfinder, he served the same red wine that Vict0riann brought to the wine tasting. Mission Hill. How's that for coincidence? Vict0riann's DH gave us some info on this very highly rated wine at the roll call wine tasting so we felt like we knew something when it was offered.

Mission Hill!! I am amazed (why does every second thing on this thread "amaze" me? Must be because this is such a GREAT thread!!)

We had one Cellermaster tell us that HAL doesn't buy BC wine, as it is "marginal".

Glad you enjoyed the wine and knew all about it!

Thank you Jacqui, but how did you know when you were packing to bring something black or white?

oh I didn't know before the cruise - sorry I misunderstood your question. I usually pack something black and sometimes the white. It's just part of my standard formal stuff.. I didn't have a crystal ball

You don't know in advance of boarding whether there will be a Black and White. I always pack a black cocktail dress .... just in case. :)

Mission Hill!! I am amazed (why does every second thing on this thread "amaze" me? Must be because this is such a GREAT thread!!)

We had one Cellermaster tell us that HAL doesn't buy BC wine, as it is "marginal".

Glad you enjoyed the wine and knew all about it!

Hopefully Vict0rian will stop by and tell us more about the wine :)

oh I didn't know before the cruise - sorry I misunderstood your question. I usually pack something black and sometimes the white. It's just part of my standard formal stuff.. I didn't have a crystal ball

:) That's what I wanted to know. I don't have anything formal in black or white. I'm bringing mint green.

I'm hoping no one will mind me answering. It is stupid not and muggy. I always forget about the oppressive heat. In terms of bugs, it's not bad.i hate bugs so I would notice. I think it's a good idea to bring repellent. My info comes from multiple sailings thru the canal.

Thank you! It will be our first time thru so making sure I bring the right gear is important. Sunscreen and bug spray are a must.