Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

I'll have to remember that next year when we go through...so DD and DSIL can see us. We have a starboard cabin so will have to stand on the bow.

or find a roll call friend who will share their balcony with you :) We had port but with the upsell, ended up on starboard. Better for the rest of the cruise and ports and Panama, you are all over the place.

They opened up our deck so we just had a short walk to the front and then we got the invite to the port NS balcony and how can you say no? what a great roll call we have!!!!

I will happily share my balcony on the other ports and have already offered my hot water. ;)

Edited by kazu

they have been there since this morning. There were panama rolls, water, juice, mimosas at 8:00 am, etc. It's part of the Canal transit :)

We had so much fun going through these locks.

At the observation tower, there were a ton of people and there is a guy announcing. Obviously the Sail a Way Gang's fame (or is that infamy) has reached far and wide. people were waving to us madly and we were cheering and waving back and yelled the Sail a Way Gang.

the narrator counted us on the balcony and we were the focus as we went through - too funny :)

1a32ef4bdaf596f1e5f874cad576a647.jpg9ce23df55ed436f002a52df506441717.jpg

I hate the burst your bubble but this building is always full of people when I transit the canal. I think I've been thru about 6 times. They are always scheming out "welcome to Panama". I've always thought it was so cool.

That was a heck of a party and a lot of wine was involved. I wonder if the announcer in the tower calls everyone the sailaway gang. Our balcony neighbour's enjoyed our hooting and hollering too, lol. Now off to the pinnacle grill but not doing any more drinking - today.

That was a heck of a party and a lot of wine was involved. I wonder if the announcer in the tower calls everyone the sailaway gang. Our balcony neighbour's enjoyed our hooting and hollering too, lol. Now off to the pinnacle grill but not doing any more drinking - today.

I didn't say anything of the sort. I said that building is always full of people saying "welcome to Panama". I'm sorry that you were so offended by my post.

bolding mine

I wanna sail with you folks :D

I hate the burst your bubble but this building is always full of people when I transit the canal. I think I've been thru about 6 times. They are always scheming out "welcome to Panama". I've always thought it was so cool.

no worries. you aren't bursting my bubble. I haven't done a full transit but some with us have many times and they have never heard what we did from the announcer. They followed us through and we hooted and hollered and they hooted and hollered back and called us the Sail a Way Gang :)

focus on the balcony by the announcer as he counted how many we were.

good enough for me and we had fun so no one will burst the kazu's bubble when she has had a good time :)

I loved that the group on one of the levels did the Wave for us and we did the wave back for them. This was repeated several times. It was the first time I have experienced an interaction with the tower crowd apart from a few polite arm wavings.

For the poster who was asking about the umbrellas------they were set up as a shady spot with a few chairs under each one. People who were feeling a little overwhelmed by the sun could take advantage of them.

Another bucket item checked off along with a surprise; I never ever thought that I would be happy the sun did not come out! It would have been unbearable if it had.

For the record, incase any one is interested, there were 5 children on the manifest last Friday for this voyage. But since a NCL ship had issues and cancelled it's transit, those passengers filled this ship to capacity and there turned out to by 9 children 17 or under on board. 2 got off in Cartagena as their parents were providing the entertainment for Zaadam. We understand there will be a total of 20 for the 4 day north from San Diego.

I am so greatfull and appreactive for the many positive comments both DH and I have received about DD and DS. Today they participated in the "swim the canal" at the Seaview pool. They both wanted the certificate. They were told that they could participate and both registered. I noticed that the temporary "no children allowed" sign by the Seaview pool has been removed but the CD said it really is an adults only pool. As they jumped in the pool with everyone else and then swam to the edge to get out a woman in the pool actually pushed first DS and then DD telling them to "get out of the adult pool". I fail to understand why people think a cruise line with quad cabins, adjoining cabins, and a kids club should have no children onboard.

Formal night tomorrow with the black and white ball beginning at 10 PM, a bit too late for me and my hugely swollen feet!

I don't get why people have to be so mean, what is wrong with them. We had one girl on our 30 day cruise and like your children she was home schooled. I had to laugh she already had more sail days then us and I believe she was about 12 years old. We had such a good time with her, great kid.

How nice of the Westerdam to take on those NCL passengers.

Sorry about your feet - to much salt in food and air. Mine always swell on cruises too. Keep your feet up as much as possible.

So sorry this is happening to your children. Hope it doesn't sour them on cruising HAL. And so sad to hear it was more than that one woman showing ugliness to kids on board. And how dare someone push your kids in the pool during a sponsored event. Hope she complains to the CD about kids in the adult pool, as he will set her straight that he okayed it for the special event.

We took our kids out of school a lot for trips, and I always felt they were learning more of the world by being there, instead of reading about it in books. Now your kids know what the Panama Canal actually looks like and how it works, and can appreciate what a great feat it was to build. Pictures in books and films don't show the actual scope of it. Actually going through the locks helps to understand the great science behind its construction.

It has made me resolve to be extra nice to kids on board on my next cruise, to make up for the rude folks.

I don't get why people have to be so mean, what is wrong with them. We had one girl on our 30 day cruise and like your children she was home schooled. I had to laugh she already had more sail days then us and I believe she was about 12 years old. We had such a good time with her, great kid.

How nice of the Westerdam to take on those NCL passengers.

Sorry about your feet - to much salt in food and air. Mine always swell on cruises too. Keep your feet up as much as possible.

I am sure the NCL passengers had to pay. The ones I have spoken to are not too happy with HAL being so boring. Their words, not mine.

Thank you for your kind comments about DS and DD. They sre both loving this experience and there are plenty of kind people aboard. Just the negative ones seem to want their opinion known! Even with so few children onboard Club HAL is running their full program. Last night was "spy night" and we were informed last night not to expect them to join us for breakfast as they were already booked! :rolleyes: It is pancake breakfast morning in Club Hal.

I am keeping the itineraries for both Club HAL and The Loft to give to Alfalfa so others can see the extensive activities.

Thanks for the tips for my swollen feet. I will be very careful from now on with what I chose to eat.

Unbelievable about the so called "adults" on the cruise who are behaving like very misbehaving brats!

What is wrong with people like that? What a bunch of crabby people.

SO sorry this is happening to you, 1 of 4!!

So sorry this is happening to your children. Hope it doesn't sour them on cruising HAL. And so sad to hear it was more than that one woman showing ugliness to kids on board. And how dare someone push your kids in the pool during a sponsored event. Hope she complains to the CD about kids in the adult pool, as he will set her straight that he okayed it for the special event.

We took our kids out of school a lot for trips, and I always felt they were learning more of the world by being there, instead of reading about it in books. Now your kids know what the Panama Canal actually looks like and how it works, and can appreciate what a great feat it was to build. Pictures in books and films don't show the actual scope of it. Actually going through the locks helps to understand the great science behind its construction.

It has made me resolve to be extra nice to kids on board on my next cruise, to make up for the rude folks.

Both DH and I thank you for your support. DD and DS really don't pay any attention to the negative. DD more so than DS who is sensitive and wants to please everyone all the time. DD will just say "they are a butt" and move on.

I guess we have been successful in teaching both of them respect as they would never make such comments or actions towards others.

Today is a new ( sea) day as we mske our way north along the coast of Central America. DD wants to go to the port shopping lecture so we can get the card for free Tanzania earnings...one for her and 3D for her friends back home.

Sorry for diverting this thread a bit. Now back to our roll call programming which is wine tasting at 4:00 this afternoon followed by formal night. Tough day, eh?!

Did you notice my Canadian slip out?:p

The woman who pushed your children committed assault. I would have reported her to the CD and anyone else who would have authority. These monsters need to be aware of what they are doing and face the results. Hearing this just makes my blood boil.

On the good side, I so enjoyed watching you all going through the locks yesterday. And please keep up the postings. So enjoyable.

Both DH and I thank you for your support. DD and DS really don't pay any attention to the negative. DD more so than DS who is sensitive and wants to please everyone all the time. DD will just say "they are a butt" and move on.

I guess we have been successful in teaching both of them respect as they would never make such comments or actions towards others.

Today is a new ( sea) day as we mske our way north along the coast of Central America. DD wants to go to the port shopping lecture so we can get the card for free Tanzania earnings...one for her and 3D for her friends back home.

Sorry for diverting this thread a bit. Now back to our roll call programming which is wine tasting at 4:00 this afternoon followed by formal night. Tough day, eh?!

Did you notice my Canadian slip out?:p

If I may, 3of4 and 4of4 (1of4's DD & DS) are a real joy. The entire roll call is enjoying them and they are a true delight.

DD was on our tour in Cartagena and she showed how clever she was with her discretion in picture taking in the Church (pics were allowed). She is an excellent traveller.

Anyone cruising with 4of4 is in for a wonderful time :)

Well, we have a busy day today. Roll call wine tasting - organized by Mumsy & Lizzie. Being hosted in our room so that means I need to tidy up. a tad. LIzzie and I have ordered appetizers to go with and wine glasses are being delivered to my room.

Lizzie and I will have to watch our wine though. Looks like we planned this for the wrong day as Lizzie & we are dining with the Captain tonight and then it is the Black and White Ball. Looking forward to the evening. :)

If I may, 3of4 and 4of4 (1of4's DD & DS) are a real joy. The entire roll call is enjoying them and they are a true delight.

Please, please, please tell me that people are getting plenty of pictures of the cantankerous old geezers. If not, then it's time to start hunting dinosaurs.

I guess you have to expect their grousing. After all, when they first started cruising, there were no children on board... Just two of every animal.

And now, for a bit of back tracking.....

here are the locks at Lake Gatun....

f1a9684deaa3b09970f5d272f8ccadba.jpg

927a7473498d68b47f03a476bf29f7cc.jpg

and our second set of locks:

aa0ac3d9f94aa33d97455a4de0342805.jpg

407bcb10d8df9ae9f8ffe266c3f17ad0.jpg

the last time we were on the Canal (just the partial on the Zuiderdam), they had mules (real ones) moving the ships. Nw they have these motorized car things but they are still called mules in the tradition of the original pullers of the Panama.

Edited by kazu

The woman who pushed your children committed assault. I would have reported her to the CD and anyone else who would have authority. These monsters need to be aware of what they are doing and face the results. Hearing this just makes my blood boil.

On the good side, I so enjoyed watching you all going through the locks yesterday. And please keep up the postings. So enjoyable.

Definitely report them. I can't imagine how a passanger can get away with this.

I also had had a few misgivings about choosing a starboard-side stateroom for this transit, but last time we were on the port side, and all I really remember was suffering terribly from the heat. Starboard has been great. The new construction is barely visible (on the port side) at the Gatun locks, and the more interesting dredging and cutting, etc., is all on the starboard side. As we were heading more or less south in the afternoon, it might have been hot if the sun had been out, but clouds and a short tropical downpour kept it comfortable.

This morning the Pacific is living up to its name, barely a ripple on the water. We had a pod (?) of dolphins running and jumping alongside, in the Med they would have said it was good luck, just hope it's the same here.

the last time we were on the Canal (just the partial on the Zuiderdam), they had mules (real ones) moving the ships. Nw they have these motorized car things but they are still called mules in the tradition of the original pullers of the Panama.

Hi, "Gang" - glad you're having such a great time. We did a partial on the Zuidie in February of 2014 and will be doing an eastbound full transit on the Amsterdam in December so I'm enjoying following along with all of you. :D Keep the photos and commentary coming! Barb

PS - AFAIK, they've been using trains since the Canal was opened in 1914. They are called mules after the animals that pulled barges along canals in Europe. If anyone's interested, here's a bit of history about them from the Canal web site: http://www.pancanal.com/eng/projects/locomotive.html and from the Panama Railroad web site: http://www.panamarailroad.org/loco.html. I find all of this so fascinating. :)

I also had had a few misgivings about choosing a starboard-side stateroom for this transit, but last time we were on the port side, and all I really remember was suffering terribly from the heat. Starboard has been great. The new construction is barely visible (on the port side) at the Gatun locks, and the more interesting dredging and cutting, etc., is all on the starboard side. As we were heading more or less south in the afternoon, it might have been hot if the sun had been out, but clouds and a short tropical downpour kept it comfortable.

Hi, Ann - thanks for the feedback on cabin position. We're doing the eastbound full transit in December and have a port-side cabin booked. If I'm understanding you correctly, that's the side you'd recommend, right?

Thanks!

Barb

Please, please, please tell me that people are getting plenty of pictures of the cantankerous old geezers. If not, then it's time to start hunting dinosaurs.

I guess you have to expect their grousing. After all, when they first started cruising, there were no children on board... Just two of every animal.

This made me snort :p :o

For what it is worth, I wasn't at the pool but DH was but didn't see it. DD said she pushed them under the water towards the side of the pool so they would get out of the water faster.