Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

Well, we're sailing away from Cartagena, and as promised, the Captain gave us a smaller version of our previous toot fest! We heard at least 7 long toots from Westie, and a couple of higher-pitched "woo haas" from our neighbouring Zaandam. We had a quick visit to the Lido Restaurant and it was chock-a-block full, so now we're going to try again, hoping that many people will have gone out on the bow for departure. It has been warm and muggy, and finally started raining as we headed back to the ship from our very interesting tour.

I salute Lizzie for being calm about this hot water issue.

How are they explaining what the problem is they can't get it repaired?

Cartagena is an interesting city. Hope the tour was good. We enjoyed several visits there.

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks a bunch Rich and Brian. I wonder if ALL Dropbox is not accessible or just the large files that Brian posted. Syncing my folders should not require that much bandwidth. I don't want to belabor this but wonder if you can tell me the price difference in the three plans?

Hopefully the gang is enjoying Cartagena today... I wish I was with them.

Hi Leon, the prices are as follows:

• Social: $49 for 16 days
  • Value: $149 for 16 days
  • Premium: $229 for 16 days

From the library's PCs using the Value plan and MS Internet Explorer 11, I can't even get to http://www.dropbox.com let alone Brian's dropbox link. I have asked the librarian and he said he would shoot an email and get an answer to the question of why and whether it would be available on the Premium if not the Value plan.

I will say that the responsiveness has been very good and it's really nice that you don't even have to log out unless you are changing devices. Well worth the cost relative to the old cost and requirements.

Cartagena was hot and wet, rain falling at the port for a good hour or so at lunch. We are getting a narrated tour out of the port now. As Vict0riann mentioned, Zaandam and Westerdam exchanged pleasantries on the horns as we left, but it was no match for the PE departure of a few days ago. :D

We heard at least 7 long toots from Westie, and a couple of higher-pitched "woo haas" from our neighbouring Zaandam.

Always wondered how you write out smaller, high pitched toots. :D

It is hot, hot, hot! No complaints though! The humidity is making the air feel thick.

As Vict0riann just reported, we have pulled away from the dock and are making our way out of the harbour. Tomorrow is the Panama Canal. Tonight is Le Cirque at the Pinnacle Grill.

Wheelchair grouch went past as we were entering the PG for lunch yesterday. She had her friend stop pushing so they could both point and scowl at DD and DS. Her loss. Most others seem happy to have them around and enjoy talking to them.

There are 9 children 17 and underon this voyage. As a result, DD is allowed to stay with DS instead of going into the Loft. They had movie night last night. The Club Hal staff are the biggest secret...they are fantastic! Last week they had over 300 children! :eek:

I salute Lizzie for being calm about this hot water issue.

How are they explaining what the problem is they can't get it repaired?

Cartagena is an interesting city. Hope the tour was good. We enjoyed several visits there.

When we had water issues including no hot water for 4 days Princess gave us $700 towards a future cruise (not requested by us). Cruise line policy varies by problem/situation, so there is a possibility HAL may provide more than what Lizzie has already received. Kudo's to Lizzie for how she has dealt with this situation. It can happen on any ship or cruise line.

Edited by qsuzi

Leaving Cartagena now after a short stop and very interesting tour. And woo-hoo I have water that is almost hot!! The have "replaced a part in the water system". Others on the deck below us have also had just cold water while others have had scalding hot water. Let's pray this is the final fix. life is good again.:)

From the library's PCs using the Value plan and MS Internet Explorer 11, I can't even get to http://www.dropbox.com let alone Brian's dropbox link. I have asked the librarian and he said he would shoot an email and get an answer to the question of why and whether it would be available on the Premium if not the Value plan.

I will say that the responsiveness has been very good and it's really nice that you don't even have to log out unless you are changing devices. Well worth the cost relative to the old cost and requirements.

Thanks. We really appreciate your taking time to help us debug geek stuff.

I was told it was a "go". On the 19th I believe. Looking forward to it.

but Ingo (cellarmaster) said there wasn't going to be a Cellar Master dinner. bummer. Maybe things will change? We'd happily do both. After reading about there not being enough people on the boards, we gathered some troops and I booked us all the first day in the hopes that would be nearly enough.;)

well, gotta get ready to meet the gang for 7:00 am. Back later after we return from Cartagena and will catch up

Hope they do have a Cellar Master dinner, Ingo does one of the best we have attended, he really is a hoot. Again I'm jealous, I love all those 'special' dinners. Hope you enjoyed your day in Cartagena.

I can get to the http://www.dropbox.com screen but I don't have an account so I don't know if I could log in. I have the Premium plan.

Thanks so much to you and Rich... Guess that tells me which plan I will get.

Happy to see all get closer to Panama. I lived there for 1 1/2 years and used to sit and watch ships transiting. On our last transit, I did a little timelapse of one lock.

Edited by 65 Gator

I am beginning to lose patience. I don't ask for much and all I want is

to be able to shower in my cabin when I want to. It is beginning to feel like a camping trip.

Fortunately the group of people we are with are keeping our spirits up anyway, and we are having a fabulous time.

I am so sorry to hear that you are still having hot water problems.

Isn't there another cabin available?

I understand the Captain said there will be some good tooting tomorrow between the Westerdam and Zaandam. Somebody with recording capabilities on their phone should try and record it.:D:eek::D

When we were on the Westerdam's repositioning cruise in 2013, we were in port a few times with the Zaandam. And no matter which ship left first -- there some tooting going on between them.

From the library's PCs using the Value plan and MS Internet Explorer 11, I can't even get to www.dropbox.com let alone Brian's dropbox link. I have asked the librarian and he said he would shoot an email and get an answer to the question of why and whether it would be available on the Premium if not the Value plan.

Cartagena was hot and wet, rain falling at the port for a good hour or so at lunch. We are getting a narrated tour out of the port now. As Vict0riann mentioned, Zaandam and Westerdam exchanged pleasantries on the horns as we left, but it was no match for the PE departure of a few days ago. :D

We had unlimited Internet on the Zuiderdam but only 1 plan.

What is the difference between the "social", "value" and "Premium" plans?

We had unlimited Internet on the Zuiderdam but only 1 plan.

What is the difference between the "social", "value" and "Premium" plans?

KK, see this post earlier on the descriptions of the 3 plans. :)

Also, be aware the prices are for at least the 16 days from FLL to SD and may change for shorter or longer cruises. The librarian said that they were still experimenting with the plans and prices too, so your experiences will likely vary.

Hope they do have a Cellar Master dinner, Ingo does one of the best we have attended, he really is a hoot. Again I'm jealous, I love all those 'special' dinners. Hope you enjoyed your day in Cartagena.

I agree! Ingo is a hoot. Have you seen him in his role as Lifeboat Captain (or whatever the position is called)? Not just a hoot, but a bellower, fitting his former life in the army!

I am so glad to learn Lizzie68 has hot water. Sometimes we can't get cold in the sink. Lizzie68 & her DH have been exceptionally patient and understanding.

we can highly recommend The Oasis. It was a perfect day! :)

BUT...we met the type of person I dread just before dinner last night. We were about 10 minutes early so were looking for our photos in the gallery which is right outside the upper dining room doors. DS and I were looking at one panel, not moving, not speaking, just standing and looking. We may even have been holding hands when this battle axe of a woman in a wheelchair being pushed by her husband spoke loud enough for everyone to hear:

You are a little boy. There is no place on this ship for children. This cruise is for old people only.

she and her husband thought this was hysterical and were laughing. He kept pushing the chair as she vomited her opinion over us. DS was crushed. His face told me he heard every word. I told DH and he wanted to point her out. Since our dinner table is right at the railing we have a good spot to look. It didn't take long to spot her so DH got a good look.

He says he will address the mater with her next time he sees her.

I hope that I am not around for that.

Leaving Cartagena now after a short stop and very interesting tour. And woo-hoo I have water that is almost hot!! The have "replaced a part in the water system". Others on the deck below us have also had just cold water while others have had scalding hot water. Let's pray this is the final fix. life is good again.:)

Can't believe that I haven't read this thread before this! Finally able to spend an afternoon at my PC. & read the whole thread.. I'm getting my cruise fix this afternoon!

What a Happy group you all sound like..

You are in good hands with Kazu..So Happy to hear she was able to snag a Neptune Suite & surprise Jose.. Jacqui hope you all have a fantastic time! Maybe someday we'll be able to meet..:) Happy Anniversary!

1 of 4..I'm appalled that your Dear Son was subjected to such a rude comment! Some people just loose their manners when they travel.. I just got an e-mail today about things I've learned & one of them I'm trying to follow: I've learned "That when you plan to get even with someone, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you" Please tell your Dear Son, that not all Oldies are like that uncouth woman! Hope you all have a wonderful time together!

Lizzie you must be a Saint! I don't believe that I would be able to put up without hot water for the length of time you have.. If it happens again perhaps you should ask for a Spa pass to take showers.. Forgot who suggested this, but it sounds like a good idea to me..

We've done the canal several times & it's a marvel to me.. Got up & was out on the rail at 5 a.m. the first time.. Wouldn't even leave when it rained..

Happy sailing to all of you in the Sail Away Gang..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Regarding Internet, I have to admit to visiting the Front Office one or two (or six) times regarding logging on and off. It has been a learning experience for me, and what really surprised me one time was that the clerk told me I had to be in airplane mode. I kept saying no, no, if I'm in airplane mode I can't get a signal, but she said I must, or I might incur roaming charges. Do not understand, but it seems to work that way.

I haven't tried the Dropbox thingy, but I can access my phanfare photo albums. Is that the same sort of location?

After showering in cold water this morning, we returned to the cabin after our Cartegena tour to find it nice and hot again. Fingers crossed that the issue has finally been solved.

Regarding Internet, I have to admit to visiting the Front Office one or two (or six) times regarding logging on and off. It has been a learning experience for me, and what really surprised me one time was that the clerk told me I had to be in airplane mode. I kept saying no, no, if I'm in airplane mode I can't get a signal, but she said I must, or I might incur roaming charges. Do not understand, but it seems to work that way.

I haven't tried the Dropbox thingy, but I can access my phanfare photo albums. Is that the same sort of location?

Ann, they want to make sure you are not using roaming cell data (or messaging or phone, international) but instead, the data via wifi on the ship by having you first place your phone in airplane mode and then turning on wifi. When we see each other next, ask me and I'll explain further. :)

I agree! Ingo is a hoot. Have you seen him in his role as Lifeboat Captain (or whatever the position is called)? Not just a hoot, but a bellower, fitting his former life in the army!

No I have not but I can only imagine, he must be hysterical:D:D:D

I am beginning to lose patience. I don't ask for much and all I want is

to be able to shower in my cabin when I want to. It is beginning to feel like a camping trip.

Fortunately the group of people we are with are keeping our spirits up anyway, and we are having a fabulous time.

This is the kind of cruise I've come to expect on the westerdam and that's why I decided not to do this cruise on the Westy this year. I do hope this gets resolved. It's gone on long enough.