checked or carry on

cruisinrealtor

When flying do you use only carry on luggage or checked? I need to buy new luggage and I don't know if I should buy carry on bags or checked size. This is for our cruise next january so I'm figuring I wont have bulky clothes but I am an overpacker at times.

When flying do you use only carry on luggage or checked? I need to buy new luggage and I don't know if I should buy carry on bags or checked size. This is for our cruise next january so I'm figuring I wont have bulky clothes but I am an overpacker at times.

I don't know how the way someone else packs their luggage is going to affect you.:confused:

Unless we have free baggage or are driving to the port , we will use carry on size. Over a number of cruises (baggage fee starting) we reduced the amount of clothing we pack as well . We also have startred to us laundry service on board to reduce the amount of clothing required.

kamloos50 - thank you very much for your input.

Husky61 - your response was unnecessary . All I'm trying to do is get some feedback. I'm sure in the end I will try to fit it all in the carry on and if it doesn't fit use a bigger checked bag but I was just curious to see what others do.

kamloos50 - thank you very much for your input.

Husky61 - your response was unnecessary . All I'm trying to do is get some feedback. I'm sure in the end I will try to fit it all in the carry on and if it doesn't fit use a bigger checked bag but I was just curious to see what others do.

Husky doesn't know if you're going on the Queen Mary or on Carnival. Husky also doesn't know if you're going on a 4 day cruise or a 14 day cruise. Or if you're going to a cold climate or to a warm climate.

But feel free to think we're all psychic and know exactly what your question and needs are.

Airlines are cracking down on carry on luggage. typically over 25% of the people who think they are carrying there bags end up being force to check some of it. Sure you can make a week cruise in a carry on bag, but it's vacation why bother? If you are worried about the cost get a CC that gives free checked bags.

There was a good discussion of this not long ago on this board.

Many indicated that all they used was a carry on. I was one that said I could never manage.

One reason was packing liquids - I could not manage with just 3 ounces of sunscreen as an example. Not always possible to stop and buy stuff prior to boarding.

Many people had great lists of what they could get in a carry on.

Also depends on your flights. Original flight for me is often on a smaller aircraft and full sized carry ons have to be gate checked (no fee). You can pick them up on landing to carry on next flight.

Lots of reasons to do either. It is your own preference.

Airlines are cracking down on carry on luggage. typically over 25% of the people who think they are carrying there bags end up being force to check some of it. Sure you can make a week cruise in a carry on bag, but it's vacation why bother? If you are worried about the cost get a CC that gives free checked bags.

zqvol- I like your thinking maybe I'll just stick with my typical overpacking. lol I didn't even think about not being able to carry on my carry on. Thanks for that info.

Nitemare- fitting name I see. A better way would have been to simply ask me the questions you have. My signature is a dead giveaway but anyway we will be on a 7 day cruise on the Oasis of the seas (rccl) going to the western carribean. Leaving out of Fort Lauderdale Florida.

Hope that helps.

Nitemare- fitting name I see. A better way would have been to simply ask me the questions you have. My signature is a dead giveaway but anyway we will be on a 7 day cruise on the Oasis of the seas (rccl) going to the western carribean. Leaving out of Fort Lauderdale Florida.

Hope that helps.

Not everyone can see cruises listed in your signature. It is a feature that can be turned off.

Regardless of the length of my cruises, I always end up with two 26" rolling duffels, plus a couple carry-ons, one for my laptop and "stuff" and another for meds, jewelry, a change of clothes just in case... I still end up doing laundry on board.

... we will be on a 7 day cruise on the Oasis of the seas (rccl) going to the western carribean.

... I still end up doing laundry on board.
Royal has no self-service laundry. We tend to take more luggage if the ship doesn't have a self-service laundry.

Any source for that 25% stat? As someone who practically lives on airplanes, it sounds quite high to me...

The cost of checking a bag is the absolute last reason why we prefer carry on.

Not certain why people always resort to attributing this to cost. It is as thought they cannot imagine someone looking a things a little differently than they do.

My signature is a dead giveaway but anyway we will be on a 7 day cruise on the Oasis of the seas (rccl) going to the western carribean. Leaving out of Fort Lauderdale Florida.

[\QUOTE]

Just an FYI-you can't see peoples' signatures if you are reading this forum through the app (like I am right now).

With that being said, with all the times my husband and I have flown, we have only had one bag misplaced. It was my husband's and we were flying to Atlanta to attend a wedding and the suit case had the expensive suit that he had just purchased in it. I panicked thinking we would never get it in time, but the airport delivered it to our hotel the next day. So as long as you are not flying out the same day, you should be fine.

Also, my personal belief is that if you can get a nonstop or direct flight, there's probably less of a change that your bag will get lost. I think having to have it switched to a different plane increases the chances that it will get misplaced along the way.

As far as size is concerned, you should also think about whether you plan on bringing home souvenirs. Having a carryon will severely limit what and how much you will be able to bring back home.

Anyway, good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by bakersdozen12

Thanks everyone for your input however I'm not concerned about cost but I'm concerned about loosing my luggage. The only reason I'm even considering bringing a carry on is the fear of loosing my luggage.

The odds of your bag not making it are very small. Trust me, as a professional traveler

Carry on always. We just returned in March from a ten day cruise out of Barcelona with two days before and three after. We had four total flight segments but with weather and the Lufthansa strike we ended up on five in total flight segments, none original

Thanks everyone for your input however I'm not concerned about cost but I'm concerned about loosing my luggage. The only reason I'm even considering bringing a carry on is the fear of loosing my luggage.

Ignore all the rude posters.

My bf and I share a carry on and we each have a personal bag each. Last time we did this was for a 11 nt cruise plus a one night pre cruise stay. Cruising in the Caribbean you bring smaller clothes. Choose your shoes carefully as most of those can't squish down and take up valuable space. We can't risk losing our luggage either bc most of our formal clothes are vintage or one of a kind and can't be replaced. We also don't give our luggage to the porters. More than a few threads on here about bags going for a drink while the porters load up before they set sail.

I find packing light as more of a game or a puzzle. How small can I get this down? We still had plenty that we didn't use that we could have left at home. I use compression bags and bundle packing method. Clothes is all capsule collection, but all my clothes are all in the same color family anyway.

Good luck and have fun planning!

Yes, ignore the RUDE posters. First of all, you did not ask people to tell you what YOU should do. You asked what other people did, just to get an idea. Two of the people who replied to you were real jack@sses.

We drive to the port, so we can each bring a 25" suitcase. However, I think I would try to keep it to a carry on and a large purse because airlines DO lose luggage. It doesn't matter what percentage get lost -- it only matters if YOUR luggage gets lost -- if even only for a day -- just past sailing time! My husband flew to California last month for a golf vacation. His suitcase made it. His golf clubs did not. He missed out on a day of golf because they didn't get his clubs to him until 9 p.m. the next evening.

Also, I do not give our suitcases to the porter. We had a misplaced suitcase one time -- it was delivered to the wrong cabin and they didn't bother telling the front desk until 7 p.m. We had no idea what had happened to it!

On our cruise last month, we took the shuttle to the pier. The bus driver said we had to stay on the bus until our luggage was all removed from the bus. As soon as we got out, I told the porter I needed my bags as I was going to take them on the ship. He asked which ones and I pointed out the two 25" bags. He said, "Those are too big to take on yourself". "No, they are not" I said, and took them. I assume he was upset about missing out on a tip. The HAL employee at the first door also told me the suitcase was too big. I told her I could manage it fine and they lost it last time and she basically said "Whatever". I had NO problem with it during embarkation, so don't know what her problem was.

Anyway, I think it can be done with carry-ons and a large purse. Whatever you do, ENJOY!!!

It can. We just did three months of travel with carry on. Did two months last fall with the same carry on and most of the same items. Trains, cars, ferries, a bus ride, two cruises, and 11 air segments. Bags that travel with us arrive with us. We love the flexibility and the liberating feeling of not travelling with everything that we own. Travelling in this manner is not for everyone and it took us some time to get down to carry on.

There is a price to pay. We pay much more attention to what we buy. Will it wash, will it wrinkle, is it bulky. Everything has to layer. We accept that we must do laundry more often. After a few months DW gets very tired of wearing the same clothes.....unless we end the trip with a few weeks on a beach. We do not bring and formal evening clothes-no room, no desire.

We meet more and more retired people who are doing exactly the same thing for many of the same reasons.

Edited by iancal

Another tip, we cross-pack. We had friends where the airline lost one of their bags and she literally didn't have anything other than what she wore on the ship to wear for a week. She did find a few things to buy on the ship and in ports. So we pack half my clothes and half my DH clothes in each suitcase. We tend to take either two carry-on bags or two larger bags, depending on the length of the cruise.:)

zqvol- I like your thinking maybe I'll just stick with my typical overpacking. lol I didn't even think about not being able to carry on my carry on. Thanks for that info.

Hope that helps.

Like others have said most vets here turn signatures off. Don't need all the flashies and wasted real estate.

If you want good answers to your questions, write good questions. Don't be all vague about it and don't make us tease out your details. And if an answer isn't sufficient, just move on.

I am of the same opinion, fear of loss. We are flying from Victoria, B.C. To Frisco, Houston..our connecting flight from Houston, gives us a scary 56 minute time allowance to Board the plane to Ft.Lauderdale! If we make it, will our checked bag get on as well! If we miss our connection and fly in later the same day or have to fly the next morning, where will our checked bag be? We are not very happy with regards to the TA that we dealt with.she could have booked us on a flight out of Houston 2Hrs later!