Bistro on Five now $10 ?

ghstudio

I think the Bistro on Five might become a lovely quieter alternative restaurant for those who prefer smart casual dining and get a more intimate atmosphere then the MDR. I just might try it one night for dinner instead of just boarding day. Also on port days when the MDR is closed, it might be a good option where I can relax and order my meal, instead of the buffet. At 10$ per person it is worth my while to get away from the buffet chaos.

Johanne

Bistro on Five is mostly empty during dinner hours now. I am sure it will be more deserted in the future. I doubt that we will ever go again unless we have OBC to burn.

100% increase in one year is obscene.

I believe this is the report you're referring to. Posts 12-14 contain photos of some of the new menu items at Bistro on 5.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2186271

Once again, the menu that is posted in #12 of the thread that you linked is NOT the new $10/pp menu. The $10/pp menu that was being served during the last couple of days of a Silhouette cruise was very different and MUCH more restricted/less "special" than the one in that picture.

A fortnight ago on Solstice it was $7. I don't mind paying a small service charge to keep it a nice quiet alternative breakfast or lunch spot. If it was free, it would be much busier and wouldn't be the relaxing option passengers go for.

Just looked at the pictures mentioned earlier. I'm glad to see that Bistro on 5 has upgraded the menu to include more than just crepes,and paninies. The addition of steaks, lamb chops etc are a big improvement. Where on land can you go and have a decent lunch or dinner for $10? I'll pay it just to avoid the confusion of the first day lunch buffet- but will consider it for a casual dinner now that I know that I can get more than crepes. Yes, I'm sure it is a way for X to recoup all of the OBC that they have been handing out, but if there is value added to the increased price then it is worth considering.

I figure if I can afford to cruise X, then an extra $3 won't bankrupt me.

That is probably the best reasoning I've heard for raising the price. Not that it make it legitimate, but it does make sense.

It only makes sense if people are willing to pay $10. If not, Celebrity might actually end up losing more money.

I keep reading people posting that Bistro on 5 was empty most of their cruise (except embarkation lunch). It sounds to me like Celebrity is experimenting with the menu to try to attract more people. Personally, I would have liked to try the crepes for $5. But burgers for $10? No, thanks.

x is certainly changing its strategy with dining. I didn't realize free lunch in bistro was a CS perk, unless this is how they are justifying not having Luminae lunch by sending all suite guests to bistro complimentary.

I am sure this will be clarified soon.

i would hope that the staffing training are caught up to all the menu and resturant changes. Maybe some of the cuts that happened before will need a reassessment. I know the staff works hard, but as a customer I do not like to see them obviously overworked or overwhelmed. My vacation is less fun if if staffing is short or training is incomplete. If Orators thoughts are on target, than this will need to be handled.

Our last cruise had excellent service, except for Bistro. It was okay but not like it was in our earlier X cruises.

Edited by hulamoon

We just got off Eclipse yesterday (April 12) having done the two week Southern Caribbean cruise. We ate in Bistro on 5 twice. The price was $7.00 a person. Perhaps we had the simpler menu. I don't recall having ever seen items such as lamb or hamburgers. It was pretty much different types of crepes and about five kinds of desserts in addition to the three dessert crepes.

The Bistro never appeared to be anywhere near full. At night it was often dark and empty. When we sailed on Silhouette in February the Bistro seemed much more popular, but I don't recall that the menu was much different than what we had on Eclipse.

As was mentioned by another poster here, we did eat at Bistro in order to "use up" On Board Credit. We also went to lunch in Tuscany the one time it was offered and in Murano, the one time it was offered. Each specialty restaurant had limited lunch menus. The price was $25 a person. I especially liked Murano and we might eat there one night at the full price of $50 per person if we have OBC to burn during a future cruise.

Hubby also agrees with the poster above who prefers the free ice cream in the Ocean View Buffet to the pricey gelato on Deck Five.

Edited by Gangway Style

Great post. Everything you say appears to be true. The risk is they will attract people that cruise less and will alienate the more frequent regular cruisers. I used to book suites, then the prices went up. I moved to balconies, then the prices went up. I now book inside staterooms. I guess the next move is to another cruise line. It is worth noting that Queens Grill in Cunard is now cheaper than a Sky Suite on many ex UK Eclipse cruises!

In the Queens Grill you could always venture off menu. It still remains to be seen if the Luminae rest. will offer that as well.

I have trouble with those that post that the cost is justified due to rising prices...we're talking about the delta, the difference in cost between what's offered for free in the MDR lunch or the buffet/aqua spa cafe or deck cafe...and the difference, IMHO, in cost is not even close to $5....in fact preparing the food at bistro on five may cost less than the other venues.

I have equal trouble with those who talk about the atmosphere at the bistro cafe which, again IMHO, seems sterile with no real atmosphere. If they are relying on the atmosphere, they really need to redo the space completely on all the ships.

When I mentioned sushi bar, I was suggesting a "good" sushi bar where they do some things like actually cook the rice so it has the right texture, flavor the rice (vinegar, sugar, etc...instead of just using cooked rice), toast the nori before making rolls and offer some additional ingredients. I fully agree that the sushi on board is equal to about the worst sushi shop in our city, but it's still refreshing as a pre-dinner snack. I would not mind a change to a good mexican cantina or pretty much any ethnic food...which would be more interesting and draw more people than the current bistro on five.

Just projecting, based on recent pricing increases, it's likely that the free ice cream and deck cafe hamburgers will be the next to go and will have an extra cost within the next 12 months. Each cruise seems to brings new exciting "enhancements"....unfortunately, it's always an enhancement for Celebrity not for the passengers.

Edited by ghstudio

Just looked at the pictures mentioned earlier. I'm glad to see that Bistro on 5 has upgraded the menu to include more than just crepes,and paninies. The addition of steaks, lamb chops etc are a big improvement. Where on land can you go and have a decent lunch or dinner for $10? I'll pay it just to avoid the confusion of the first day lunch buffet- but will consider it for a casual dinner now that I know that I can get more than crepes. Yes, I'm sure it is a way for X to recoup all of the OBC that they have been handing out, but if there is value added to the increased price then it is worth considering.

I figure if I can afford to cruise X, then an extra $3 won't bankrupt me.

Why would someone pay $45 or $50 in Tuscan or Murano if steaks and lamb chops were only $10 in Bistro? Oh yes, you get the other items (app, soup, salad and desert.) If we can afford an extra $3 you just paid an extra $5 from the most recent increase from $5 to $10. That is what X is counting on. It won't bankrupt us. But, where does it stop? Will it go up again in 3 months another $X?

Very interested to hear the feedback from recent Equinox cruisers on this topic. Are the European cruises the same menus, prices as Carribean on this ship. Also looking forward to anything about the new menu with the increase.

Just got off Silhouette yesterday, 4/12 and the cost was $10 pp. We ate there as my wife really enjoys the crepes and we rarely enjoy them at home. I guess for that reason, it was worth it. It is usually empty whenever we pass it. There was only 1 other table in there when we were. That's usually the case for us. I also wonder if they could do something more creative with the space.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Forums mobile app

Just got off Silhouette yesterday, 4/12 and the cost was $10 pp. We ate there as my wife really enjoys the crepes and we rarely enjoy them at home. I guess for that reason, it was worth it. It is usually empty whenever we pass it. There was only 1 other table in there when we were. That's usually the case for us. I also wonder if they could do something more creative with the space.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Forums mobile app

We also are just off Silhouette yesterday and tried Bistro for the first time. We have to say that it was some of the best food we ate all week on the ship. The onion soup was amazing and I had the Croque Madame which was the best thing I ate for sure. It was incredible. We noticed many crew members eating in there but only 2 other passengers. Seems like a waste. We felt like our money was well spent and really enjoyed it compared to the money we spent on the Lawn Club Grill. It was overpriced in our opinion. Gelato is now included as well according to the menu. The daily specials sounded good to us but we stuck to crepes etc as we had a craving. Curious to see what happens with it as was almost always empty which seems to be the norm on many ships.

Croque Madame. We would enjoy getting Croque Madame. Was it served on bread or as a crepe?

Andy, I posted "no questions" on your "Ask questions" thread. But I will be interested in hearing if Equinox has raised the Bistro on Five price and if Croque Madame (egg, cheese, ham crepe) or any else interesting has been added to the menu, especially crepes or galettes (maybe a camembert galette with calvados flambé?!). Also, if gelato is included or perhaps a small glass of wine. :D Too bad about the increase, but a croque madame and gelato could justify it for us (we'd probably justify it anyway). We board Equinox on the 27th.

Kathy

There are people comparing the fact that Celebrity Cruises is raising it's prices while other cruise lines are not? This is correct but only to the people who don't know the difference in foods.

When you are mass buying foods, you bid out and have choices for how much you are willing to pay per meal......these numbers are SECRET. Several food companies bid for the provisioning and then the chefs have to cook what comes.....which sometimes is far less quality then was was bid for.....it is an interesting exercise.

Ultimately, most lines you will see have less quality then Celebrity and They win Many awards based upon food quality. I find it interesting when people post all the fees that Celebrity upcharges......yet people never comment that the food on other lines.....just plain lacks. I have experienced this on my last three mass market cruises......1 Rcl, 1 Holland and 1 Princess.....The BEST was Crystal but that is not for this forum.....

It's clearly a business. Either lower the quality of the food like Carnival or MSC or Norweigan or even Royal Caribbean. Then charge fewer extras.....OR keep innovative foods onboard and quality and charge for a few extras. I would most definitely go for option B as it is then my choice. The food on other cruiselines has gotten REALLY BAD lately.....and there are reasons for this.

I am tired of defending Celebrity........If you don't like it. Don't come. IF you dont want to pay the fees fee's for specialty restaurants.....Don't. The beauty of cruising is that we all create our own vacations through our choices.....CHOICES. So if the main dining room is not good, try the specialty or communicate to staff.....We all have options.

Safe sails to alll! ERF

Croque Madame. We would enjoy getting Croque Madame. Was it served on bread or as a crepe?

Andy, I posted "no questions" on your "Ask questions" thread. But I will be interested in hearing if Equinox has raised the Bistro on Five price and if Croque Madame (egg, cheese, ham crepe) or any else interesting has been added to the menu, especially crepes or galettes (maybe a camembert galette with calvados flambé?!). Also, if gelato is included or perhaps a small glass of wine. :D Too bad about the increase, but a croque madame and gelato could justify it for us (we'd probably justify it anyway). We board Equinox on the 27th.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I will be happy to be on Croque alert (Wait, that doesn't sound right :) ), and check the current pricing. As long as the menu is one of the newer variations, I plan to dine at least once, at Bistro on Five. Of course, I will report back to our members. I'm unsure if they offer the Croque Madame on Equinox (I've never seen that at Bistro on past sailings). Other members have mentioned new items such as Lamb chops - which does sound interesting. Only a few more days to go, so please stay tuned !

Have a great time on the Transatlantic sailing !

Edited by Host Andy

Great post. Everything you say appears to be true. The risk is they will attract people that cruise less and will alienate the more frequent regular cruisers. I used to book suites, then the prices went up. I moved to balconies, then the prices went up. I now book inside staterooms. I guess the next move is to another cruise line. It is worth noting that Queens Grill in Cunard is now cheaper than a Sky Suite on many ex UK Eclipse cruises!

What a beautiful part of the UK you live in icon7.gif

...The addition of steaks, lamb chops etc are a big improvement. Where on land can you go and have a decent lunch or dinner for $10? ....

It's $10 in addition to what you're already paying them to provide you breakfast, lunch or dinner.

What a beautiful part of the UK you live in icon7.gif

Hi It's a lovely place and only 30 minutes from Southampton. Seeing the cruise ships sail past most evenings can prove to be expensive though :D

Ian

It's $10 in addition to what you're already paying them to provide you breakfast, lunch or dinner.

But is it different then paying for a drink? Is bottled water better then the ship water ?

With the amount of OBC floating around , may be they though it was a good way of getting it back

Kathy

It was on bread and melted in your mouth. It was the best thing I had all week on the ship. We will gladly go back again.

There are people comparing the fact that Celebrity Cruises is raising it's prices while other cruise lines are not? This is correct but only to the people who don't know the difference in foods.

When you are mass buying foods, you bid out and have choices for how much you are willing to pay per meal......these numbers are SECRET. Several food companies bid for the provisioning and then the chefs have to cook what comes.....which sometimes is far less quality then was was bid for.....it is an interesting exercise.

Ultimately, most lines you will see have less quality then Celebrity and They win Many awards based upon food quality. I find it interesting when people post all the fees that Celebrity upcharges......yet people never comment that the food on other lines.....just plain lacks. I have experienced this on my last three mass market cruises......1 Rcl, 1 Holland and 1 Princess.....The BEST was Crystal but that is not for this forum.....

It's clearly a business. Either lower the quality of the food like Carnival or MSC or Norweigan or even Royal Caribbean. Then charge fewer extras.....OR keep innovative foods onboard and quality and charge for a few extras. I would most definitely go for option B as it is then my choice. The food on other cruiselines has gotten REALLY BAD lately.....and there are reasons for this.

I am tired of defending Celebrity........If you don't like it. Don't come. IF you dont want to pay the fees fee's for specialty restaurants.....Don't. The beauty of cruising is that we all create our own vacations through our choices.....CHOICES. So if the main dining room is not good, try the specialty or communicate to staff.....We all have options.

Safe sails to alll! ERF

When we cruise on 3 different cruise lines in one year and take 5 - 6 cruises per year I think we know the difference in food quality and preparation. We have been cruising since the 80s and have over 100 cruises. X has not been improving the quality of their food nor have other cruise lines such as HAL, RCL and Princess. The quality is a lower grade of meat. Too many people who know and cruise X, are saying the same thing.

As for you being tired of defending X, don't. No one is asking you, too. You sound like your the one who dictates to others to stay off of your ships. LOL You have expressed your opinions and defended X, let others express their opinions. If you can't stand the opinions of others don't tell them to move on. That is the purpose of this forum.

It was on bread and melted in your mouth. It was the best thing I had all week on the ship. We will gladly go back again.

Thank you for getting back to me on this. We have had it both ways in France - crepe and on bread. Bistro on Five must have served it with a good cheese and nice sauce like gruyere and béchamel sauce. While I sit here drinking my standard breakfast blueberry/banana protein shake, I am getting so hungry with the thought that in two weeks we might be able to have a good Croque Madame.

Hi Kathy,

I will be happy to be on Croque alert (Wait, that doesn't sound right :) ), and check the current pricing. As long as the menu is one of the newer variations, I plan to dine at least once, at Bistro on Five. Of course, I will report back to our members. I'm unsure if they offer the Croque Madame on Equinox (I've never seen that at Bistro on past sailings). Other members have mentioned new items such as Lamb chops - which does sound interesting. Only a few more days to go, so please stay tuned !

Have a great time on the Transatlantic sailing !

Croque alert - that's a good one, Andy! We appreciate anything you can report on Bistro on Five and for that matter anything on Equinox that you share. We will enjoy Bistro on Five for at least the two embarkation days (b2b, hence two) increase or no increase, Croque Madame or no Croque Madame, gelato or no gelato. We just like having a relaxing, non-frenzied meal, in particular on embarkation day and often an additional time.

I told Jack about the possibility of gelato, and he said that would be a tough choice between Nutella & Banana crepe or gelato, to which I responded, "Both!"

Have a wonderful cruise! Please send our greetings to your mom and family as well. Thanks for being on the Croque alert and reporting on Equinox! :D

Kathy