Bistro on Five now $10 ?

ghstudio

Read a couple of reports here that the price of bistro on 5 which was just raised from $5 to $7 has now been raised again to $10. Host Andy was one of the reporters, so it's likely correct, but I've seen no mention of the change here (or announced anywhere else.

Is this for real?

If true....From my experience, the only thing this price increase will do is to reduce the number of folks who dine at this restaurant to avoid the buffet on embarkation day. It won't have any effect on the rest of the cruise when Bistro on Five is normally empty...reducing empty is still empty.

It's really not clear what Celebrity is trying to accomplish with this increase...unless someone in HQ thinks they have magically created a menu and experience that folks are willing to pay extra for. That certainly hasn't been the case to date.

I think they'd do far better if the changed that area into something else....I'd love to see a sushi bar serving saki, for example. Same space, doesn't need any change to the kitchen and I'd bet the profit $'s would go up.

Edited by ghstudio

Read a couple of reports here that the price of bistro on 5 which was just raised from $5 to $7 has now been raised again to $10. Host Andy was one of the reporters, so it's likely correct, but I've seen no mention of the change here (or announced anywhere else.

Is this for real?

Hi Ghstudio,

I had my doubts at first, but it sure looks to be accurate. I also heard from member Orator, who confirmed the increase. On other threads, CC members also confirmed. I'm very surprised about this, especially as the price was recently increased to $7.... Apparently, now it's $10 per person.

I'm sailing on Equinox on Friday, and I'm very curious to see if they've also increased the price, and, exactly what's been added to the menu, and if it justifies the additional $3 increase. One member reported that Gelato is now included. Hopefully, it's more than a Gelato addition with this latest increase.

Stay Tuned !

If true....From my experience, the only thing this price increase will do is to reduce the number of folks who dine at this restaurant to avoid the buffet on embarkation day. It won't have any effect on the rest of the cruise when Bistro on Five is normally empty...reducing empty is still empty.

It's really not clear what Celebrity is trying to accomplish with this increase...unless someone in HQ thinks they have magically created a menu and experience that folks are willing to pay extra for. That certainly hasn't been the case to date.

I think they'd do far better if the changed that area into something else....I'd love to see a sushi bar serving saki, for example. Same space, doesn't need any change to the kitchen and I'd bet the profit $'s would go up.

Hi Ghstudio,

Interesting comments. I agree with you, in your point that Bistro is generally very quiet for most of the sailing. Unless they come up with a blockbuster menu, I cannot determine any logic in raising the price again. As mentioned earlier, they just raised it a few months ago, and that didn't sit well with the Celebrity faithful at that time. How do they figure a second price increase will fare ? Do they feel the second time is the charm ? Doubtful.

When we sail, I'm always sailing with other family members, and enjoy picking up the check. Ok, maybe not "enjoy", but I do it :). In my case, what used to be $30 for the 6 of us, now becomes $60. No matter how good the food is, and, we're big fans of Bistro on Five - I will probably not dine at Bistro as much as we used to.

FWIW, I like your idea on the sushi in general, but I fear it will have the same stigma that Gastrobar has. Since day 1, I've said that Gastrobar may not succeed, as guests will not want to pay $8 or so for a hamburger, when they can get one for free elsewhere on the ship. I totally appreciate that the hamburger is probably *much* better at Gastrobar, but the evidence supports that folks are not overly excited about spending more for food. Perhaps, if it's outstanding, and the buzz gets around the ship... they have a chance of success... but we have not seen that as of yet.

On our upcoming Equinox sailing... as long as I see a big change in the menu, I plan to dine at Bistro. and will report on the new items, and, if I feel it's worth the increase. I'm also planning to try Gastrobar as well.

Edited by Host Andy

The Porch on the March 29th Silhouette cruise was still $7. Remember, they can make the same dollars from Bistro on 5 if patrons fall by 30%. The venue is small so only a very same percentage of passengers need to eat there to generate a profit. I see the rising trend in pricing continuing until there is significant buyer resistence. Remember all the complaints as the pricing of the Specialty Restaurants rose significantly? Apprears to me that a significant number of people are willing to pay the price as a part of their total cruise experience. I think that the concern about pricing is more a concerned to the frequent cruiser than the newbie or once every few years cruiser. That's what Celebrity is banking on.

I. for one, have always said that the Bistro on 5 should be free - heck - its only crepes - milk and eggs!

Celebrity should absorb the cost and maybe they will make some revenue on the wine served with the crepes. Your right, the only time it is full is the first day and then it is empty after that.

Same thing with the pub food at the Gastrobar - why are they charging??? NCL has a pub (open 24/7) with all kinds of pub food and it is free, and a welcome change if you want a more relaxed meal and people will buy a beer or drink and revenue is made that way. The NCL pub has an all you can eat rib night, they serve prime rib as a special, and then the usual wings, fish & chips, burgers...

The Porch on the March 29th Silhouette cruise was still $7. Remember, they can make the same dollars from Bistro on 5 if patrons fall by 30%. The venue is small so only a very same percentage of passengers need to eat there to generate a profit. I see the rising trend in pricing continuing until there is significant buyer resistence. Remember all the complaints as the pricing of the Specialty Restaurants rose significantly? Apprears to me that a significant number of people are willing to pay the price as a part of their total cruise experience. I think that the concern about pricing is more a concerned to the frequent cruiser than the newbie or once every few years cruiser. That's what Celebrity is banking on.

Of course there are only two ships with a Porch offering....

My only comment on customers dropping 30% is that 30% of a very small (almost zero in my experience) number of customers other than the first day will be a still smaller number of customers (if less than zero is possible).

If you believe that new customers don't care about price...you're probably right. I haven't seen any change in the number of folks dining at bistro on five increasing due to either the marketing focus on "younger affluents" or "suite mania"....so I'm not sure that more new customers will be flocking to Bistro on Five....irrespective of price.

Perhaps we'll see a new menu of offerings that will tempt us all. Up until now, we've always eaten there on embarkation day and we've never felt the urge to return during a cruise. I vote for a sushi bar :)

Edited by ghstudio

This is my take on what may be behind their thought process on this:

For some reason, though there is an extra fee involved, Bistro on 5 is normally not thought if as a specialty restaurant. Changing the menu, coupled with raising the price may change our perception of this space from "a relaxing place to avoid the buffet on embarkation day" to "the most affordable of the additional-fee dining areas". People may also perceive added value because the price includes gelato, which normally carries a hefty cost on its own.

Edited by thebutlerdidit

I. for one, have always said that the Bistro on 5 should be free - heck - its only crepes - milk and eggs!

It is definitely NOT only crepes for the Bistro on 5 menu. They have specials each day, everything from Duck Confit, to Bouillabaisse, etc. See post number 12 on this thread for the menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2186271&highlight=bistro+on+5

It still seems crazy that it doubled in price over the period of a little more than a year or so. I also think it's crazy that it costs the same whether you order a crepe for lunch or a whole meal for dinner.

We have nut allergies so the nutella crepes are all off the table us for us. Never been to Bistro on 5 and probably won't ever go.

If they put in a sushi bar, then they would probably do away with the free sushi at the buffet.

If we are soliciting ideas for change .....

How about a sister-ship exchange, and they put a Park Café in it's place??? If I could get a kummelweck sandwich on X .... I'd never have reason to sail Royal again :D

Edited by Queen of Oakville

Of course there are only two ships with a Porch offering....

My only comment on customers dropping 30% is that 30% of a very small (almost zero in my experience) number of customers other than the first day will be a still smaller number of customers (if less than zero is possible).

If you believe that new customers don't care about price...you're probably right. I haven't seen any change in the number of folks dining at bistro on five increasing due to either the marketing focus on "younger affluents" or "suite mania"....so I'm not sure that more new customers will be flocking to Bistro on Five....irrespective of price.

Perhaps we'll see a new menu of offerings that will tempt us all. Up until now, we've always eaten there on embarkation day and we've never felt the urge to return during a cruise. I vote for a sushi bar :)

Some, if not most, new customers are concerned about price. However, IMHO, a significant number of new or infrequent cruisers buy into the idea that they must try eveything at least once to have a total cruise experience. More frequent cruisers, at least those I know, appear to take a "take it or leave it attitude".

I can tell you from my personal observation that Bistro on 5 was quite busy for lunch on the March 29th Silhouette cruise. I would note that things can vary greatly from cruise to cruise and what I observed may not be typical. Guess I'd need access to fleetwide numbers to get a clearer picture. I still wonder why Bistro was busy when The Porch was still $7? I never went to The Porch so I don't know how much business they were doing. Perhaps there were group bookings or they were giving away the lunch? I really don't know.

I'll be returning to Silhouette on Sunday so I get another sample.

I would agree that Bistro was never very busy as we enjoy taking lunch most days there as it is free with the Ultimate dining package. Our last cruise aboard the Eclipse (November 2014) we noted a significant increase in the numbers using the Bistro, many days it was at least 50% full. The reason I believe for the increased popularity is the relaxing venue very unlike the alternative, the Oceanview cafe which has become a mad house.

Another major reason we use it is due to the lack of passenger hygiene standards which are so evident in the Oceanview venue.

On Connie right now and Bistro on 5 is $10 per person, waived for CS and higher. Since we are in RS it does not cost us a dime. Lovely.

Is this the reason they raised the price? To accommodate the CS and above? Wait, we will see more price increases. We seem to accept it without any questions. What say you?

When Bistro on 5 was only $5 we thought it was a great value and would leave an extra $5 as a tip (total $15 for 2 people). When it went up to $7 we said okay, that's still not too bad, but did not leave any extra. Now that it's up to $10 we probably might not even go unless we are really craving something on the menu. Which I doubt would happen. We shall see.

Is this for real?

Oh! Damn! I knew Richard & I ate too much the last time were were there!

We have nut allergies so the nutella crepes are all off the table us for us. Never been to Bistro on 5 and probably won't ever go.

If they put in a sushi bar, then they would probably do away with the free sushi at the buffet.

If we are soliciting ideas for change .....

How about a sister-ship exchange, and they put a Park Café in it's place??? If I could get a kummelweck sandwich on X .... I'd never have reason to sail Royal again :D

Not like the "Free Sushi" is anything to write home about. Really very tame stuff overall.

Another CC thread shows the new menu and photos of some of the food..can't recall the ship..

The Saturday special of lamb chops will get us back on our Equinox embarkation day but we may not go more than once...

AQ spa cafe is also a nice place for lunch 1st day if one gets there early enough to find a table...and no upcharge!

Andy...have a great time on Equinox.

Not like the "Free Sushi" is anything to write home about. Really very tame stuff overall.

Agreed. I would not pay money for it. If I had it at a sushi restaurant (at home); I would not go back to that restaurant - doesn't even compare.

But, is it a nice treat to grab a "free" plate and go back to the room and nosh while dressing for dinner, yes.

I'd be annoyed if they took away the "free" sushi from the buffet, to put in a better quality pay-for sushi bar.

Having been on the Eclipse for a couple of sailings, Bistro on 5 generally seemed empty. Eventually we did try it (when it was still $5) but were very disappointed and would not venture there again. I cannot see how putting up the prices and adding a couple of extra dishes will attract the number of people it really requires to make it a going concern. It's time Celebrity cut their losses and take an innovative approach :). What it will take though is debatable. The Gastropub has not taken off, possibly a Sushi bar may (not my cup of tea but know many who would appreciate it). Obviously Celebrity want to create a successful fee paying eaterie, perhaps a SurveyMonkey to their Captains Club membership and regular cruisers may produce some ideas that they could explore further.

We also cruise Princess and love their International Cafe, especially for a quick snack (salads, sandwiches, as well as sweet items) when returning from a shore excursion, or a bite to eat in the evening, without having to go all the way up to the buffet.

Edited by downsmead
addition

AQ spa cafe is also a nice place for lunch 1st day if one gets there early enough to find a table...and no upcharge!.

Be careful in the AQUA Spa Cafe as there are items that cost. $5.50 and $6.50. However, you can get the same thing in the Oceanview Cafe and make you own for free. LOL