Nasty comment from staff

thatdarnpunk

And I'm glad you're happy with making the service just a little worse for everyone else while you try to get your 'perks'. I wish the line would outlaw additional cash tips, because it does cause people to play favorites and you get the kind of abuse people are posting about with glee in this thread of "shoving in".

You'd probably be in favor of doing away with ALL gratuities. We discreetly hand a envelope with extra $ to those who we felt did above & beyond.

Not wanting an argument Presto just pointing it out. A lot of people read these boards and may not tip when they visit the UK -just saying :-)

Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion - apologies. :)

I can see what you mean - like I said, perhaps it is more a case that we don't do tipping in the UK like they do in the USA.

I won't say any more as it could lead to yet another tipping thread ------- ooooohhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! ;):D:eek:

I actually would like to get rid of them. have Celebrity pay them a bit more and reserve tipping to the rare occurance where someone REALLY goes out of their way for you...not just doing their job with a smile on their face.

The money comes from the same place but, would rather Celebrity pay their salaries then feel obligated to supliment their income because Celebrity pays SOOOO little. also this would make pay at a level rate rater than sometimes they get more...sometimes less depending on how big the tips on top of the tips are.

You'd probably be in favor of doing away with ALL gratuities. We discreetly hand a envelope with extra $ to those who we felt did above & beyond.

I have NEVER tipped in cash, as I feel very strongly that 18% is more than enough gratuity for pouring a glass of wine or mixing a g&t and handing to me. Period.

Had that snippy--@ss chick pulled that crap on me, I would have immediately asked for my money back, addressed her by name (from her name tag), and assured her quietly that I'd be speaking with her supervisors immediately. If others nearby saw and heard her do this, I would have asked them if they'd be willing to corroborate what had happened. UNACCEPTABLE!!

Totally agree with your comments!

I have NEVER had any merchant in the Unites States refuse either a 2 dollar bill or any either of the dollar coins.....and while I don't regularly use 2 dollar bills....I DO very regularly use dollar coins...

You are just making it difficult for the cashier with both options. Cash drawers have slots for the bills and coins that normal people use. They do not have slots for people who think that is cute to use bills or coins that may be legal tender but are hardly ever used. The cashier who receives these items has to put them in a special space in the cash drawers. The cashier will tend to make mistakes when cashing out the drawer if they have these strange coins or bills.

So I ask again - is there a special reason why you are using them or are you just trying to create problems for the cashier.

There is a reason that the dollar coins and the $2 bill have essentially disappeared from circulation. Nobody wants them.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

You are just making it difficult for the cashier with both options. Cash drawers have slots for the bills and coins that normal people use. They do not have slots for people who think that is cute to use bills or coins that may be legal tender but are hardly ever used. The cashier who receives these items has to put them in a special space in the cash drawers. The cashier will tend to make mistakes when cashing out the drawer if they have these strange coins or bills.

So I ask again - is there a special reason why you are using them or are you just trying to create problems for the cashier.

There is a reason that the dollar coins and the $2 bill have essentially disappeared from circulation. Nobody wants them.

DON

You see, isnt it wonderful all the love that tipping threads bring out. No wonder servers get b!tchy.

Sorry for the rude snarky comment from the bar person... I know a lot have said what they would do. I would agree but doubt I would have thought to do it at that exact moment as I would have been shocked and standing there with my mouth hanging open. My sputtering comment would have come 30 seconds later after I came to my senses!

And yes with the drink package there is nowhere to add extra (you get no slip of paper) so cash is the only way to go....

I think you should mention it to Celebrity. We had problems with 2 employees on a cruise last year. We usually write them a letter telling them how much we enjoyed our trip and that the crew was exceptional (my favourite thing about Celebrity is the crew) but last year we mentioned that two employees didn't reflect their brand well.

They appreciated our comments, good and bad, and said they would look into the situation with the 2 employees. They apologized profusely for our being treated badly by these people.

We always have more good comments than bad, and I think they like to know what they are doing well and not so well so they can improve.

We just got off a cruise this past weekend and other than one waiter, who was as personable as an Easter Island statue, the crew was so friendly and helpful and wonderful.

The tipping issue is interesting and we can picture what happened. When you order a drink you are already charged an 18% mandatory service charge (the term "gratutity" does not really apply to something is mandatory). The bar staff does not expect additional tips although they do appreciate any additional tips. But cash needs to be handled very discretely because there are rules regarding the pooling of tips by staff. We have spent far more than 3 years as passenger on many cruise ships and it is just not a normal practice to hand a dollar to a bar tender or server. If you do this it should be done in a way that nobody else sees the transaction. Given that X already adds 18% to every drink there is no need to tip extra. We personally will take of some bar staff, especially when on very long cruises, who treat us exceptionally well...but we would do this in the form of a larger tip (usually $10-$20) discretely given towards the end of a cruise.

Hank

I have NEVER tipped in cash, as I feel very strongly that 18% is more than enough gratuity for pouring a glass of wine or mixing a g&t and handing to me. Period.

Had that snippy--@ss chick pulled that crap on me, I would have immediately asked for my money back, addressed her by name (from her name tag), and assured her quietly that I'd be speaking with her supervisors immediately. If others nearby saw and heard her do this, I would have asked them if they'd be willing to corroborate what had happened. UNACCEPTABLE!!

I agree with you 100%. Why in heaven's name would you over tip? 18% is more than adequate.

I agree with you 100%. Why in heaven's name would you over tip? 18% is more than adequate.

Because some of us are not convinced that the drinks we get with the beverage package are tipped out at the same 18% that individually priced drinks are.

Edited by chamima

Sometimes tipping a good bartender shows your appreciation, even if you have the beverage package. They remember you, and when they see you walking in, they have your drink ready for you. You don't have to wait in line or fight the crowds. Most of the times, a $5er goes a long way. :rolleyes:

Sometimes tipping a good bartender ...

... You don't have to wait in line or fight the crowds.

So paying $5 gets you preferential treatment :cool: .......

But what about the anti-bribery provisions of the FCPA (The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, as amended, 15 U.S.C. §§ 78dd-1, et seq. "FCPA") that prohibit the willful use of the mails or any means of instrumentality of interstate commerce corruptly in furtherance of any offer, payment, promise to pay, or authorization of the payment of money or anything of value to any person, while knowing that all or a portion of such money or thing of value will be offered, given or promised, directly or indirectly, to an official to influence the official in his or her official capacity, induce the official to do or omit to do an act in violation of his or her lawful duty, or to secure any improper advantage in order to assist in obtaining or retaining business for or with, or directing business to, any person:eek:

Is giving $5 to beat the line a tip or a bribe;););)

Edited by groryjm

LOL. Why don't you ask the bartender. :D

I've been known to bribe a bartender or two in my day. Heck bribery is the second oldest human activity after breathing. ;) But if you don't want to bribe and feel the 18% 'tax' is more than enough, fine. If you want to bribe $100 a drink, fine. It's your money. Do want you want with it.

Correction: Realistically, it's your DW's money. Do what she wants with it. ;):D

Edited by DirtyDawg

So paying $5 gets you preferential treatment :cool: .......

But what about the anti-bribery provisions of the FCPA (The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, as amended, 15 U.S.C. §§ 78dd-1, et seq. "FCPA") that prohibit the willful use of the mails or any means of instrumentality of interstate commerce corruptly in furtherance of any offer, payment, promise to pay, or authorization of the payment of money or anything of value to any person, while knowing that all or a portion of such money or thing of value will be offered, given or promised, directly or indirectly, to an official to influence the official in his or her official capacity, induce the official to do or omit to do an act in violation of his or her lawful duty, or to secure any improper advantage in order to assist in obtaining or retaining business for or with, or directing business to, any person:eek:

Is giving $5 to beat the line a tip or a bribe;););)

Ok, this discussion has gone to places that I couldn't even imagine. I did not know that a bartender or the waitstaff are officials of a foreign government. The FCPA basically applies to officials of foreign governments. Based on your logic, all tips would be in violation of the FCPA.

I have no issues with people with not tipping in addition to the standard gratuity. However, I still can't fathom why people are so bent out of shape if I give a dollar or two the bartender or an extra tip at the end. It is my money. I guess if you have an issue with my tipping behavior, in the immortal words for Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugitive: "I don't care."

I'm an Aussie, I tip at restaurants, about 10% ,round up taxi fares, never tipped a barman in a pub in my life. I thought the 18% extra on a drink was was a tip?

I pre pay gratuities and do t get a drink package.

On my med cruise next month do I need to exchange a stack of one dollar US notes for tips? If we are in Europe should it be one €? :confused:

OP here, checking in on this thread. Amazing to see how it's turned out [emoji33]. I hope I didn't stir up too many people here. I don't hold anything against any of you regardless of whether you tip extra of not [emoji6]

You didn't stir up any more than a dress code or smoking thread!! :eek:

Thanks for sharing your experience.... you've been given a lot of great tips here, (should you ever encounter such behavior in the future!)

Ladytainn:

(I cannot get the QUOTE function to work on your post... sorry)

Please PLEASE do not be confused. You have "prepaid" gratuities for your cabin steward and dining staff. Each beverage you order will already have an 18% TIP included (regardless of beverage package or ordering separately). You do not need to throw $$ or euros at the staff. Enjoy YOUR cruise and hold true to your own customs. :)

I'm an Aussie, I tip at restaurants, about 10% ,round up taxi fares, never tipped a barman in a pub in my life. I thought the 18% extra on a drink was was a tip?

On my med cruise next month do I need to exchange a stack of one dollar US notes for tips? If we are in Europe should it be one €? :confused:

No you do not need to tip again. Some folks do but it's not necessary. What you can do to show appreciation is note the good attentive staffs names down either on your end of cruise survey or on an attention to detail card you can get from guest relations. You can also identify those staff who consistently look after you and give them a little extra at the end of the cruise, but it's your choice.

Whilst we do tip to some at the end, it is our choice, it's not required or expected. We did extra when the rates were 10 12 and 15%, we will review the figures now it's 18%.

No you do not need to tip again. Some folks do but it's not necessary. What you can do to show appreciation is note the good attentive staffs names down either on your end of cruise survey or on an attention to detail card you can get from guest relations. You can also identify those staff who consistently look after you and give them a little extra at the end of the cruise, but it's your choice.

Whilst we do tip to some at the end, it is our choice, it's not required or expected. We did extra when the rates were 10 12 and 15%, we will review the figures now it's 18%.

You brought up a good point.

We had received some outstanding service so when we received the "Attention to Detail" (or a similarly named ) card I filled it out with the names of the crew that had been so wonderful.

The next day the people I named came over to thank me because their supervisors had noted it to them.

One crew member did say that the comments on those cards carry much more weight than the end of cruise surveys.

I, too, took a stack of 1s on my recent Reflection cruise. I started by tipping 1-2 dollars per drink. Quickly o realized that there were some very rude waiters, especially at the pool and pool bar. I stopped tipping and just tipped those who had been good at the end of the cruise. In your situation, I would have gone straight to a manager or guest relations. That is BS!!!

I wish they wouldn't do that. My standard is a Gibson up, but many times I just want a glass of wine or some different mixed drink. But here I am downing a Gibson I didn't want, just to be polite. Plus, I really don't want to be known as a barfly, even if I am one :D

I just can't help jumping in here. My friend and I are light drinkers but do enjoy a Cosmo before dinner at the Martini Bar. On our Feb 5 day Constellation cruise we encountered a miserable bartender who seemed to be the guy nearest our seats each night before dinner. We would take a seat at the bar and he would totally ignore us for at least 20 minutes while he jumped to serve and reserve clients who we could clearly see we're passing him dollar bills with each drink. He no time for us. Now I can spare a dollar any time but we did not realize that we needed to have them o get service so we did not come prepared. One night we waited so long we had to leave without ever having a drink to make our dinner seating which was most annoying as the couple sitting next to us with the fistful if dollars had 3 martinis and a private pour show while we waited. By the way we had a premium package!