What is Princess Live! on the Regal?

baggal

We're considering booking an obstructed balcony on Deck 8 on the Regal. I already know to avoid booking a cabin over a restaurant (Crown Grill) or a bar or a piano lounge. But what is the area Princess Live! used for?

Thanks

It will be used for entertainment. I found this on the Princess website. I too have a cabin booked on deck 8 obstructed balcony.

Princess Live! - A first at sea, this TV studio will present broadcast-ready events including interactive culinary shows, live concerts, late night comedy and game shows.

Edited by we3k9

I sat in there On my cruise wondering how Princess could get this space so wrong, it's like a red room with uncomfortable seats, it embarrassing for the cruise staff because it turns them into want a be tv presenters. Princess on your next R3 ship bring back the much loved Explorers lounge, is there anyone who prefers Princess live over Explorers

I sat in there On my cruise wondering how Princess could get this space so wrong, it's like a red room with uncomfortable seats, it embarrassing for the cruise staff because it turns them into want a be tv presenters. Princess on your next R3 ship bring back the much loved Explorers lounge, is there anyone who prefers Princess live over Explorers

My guess would be Dave and mom33 answering yes to that question....

There's no Explorer's Lounge on the Regal? On our last cruise on the Ruby we were in the Explorer's Lounge all the time. Between that and no mid-ship stairs, maybe we should rethink booking the Regal.

Thanks for your replies.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I'm sure you may already know this, but Princess Live! was designed to look like a "recording studio", similar to the kind where talk shows are taped. It's not meant to be, nor was it designed to be, a "lounge". If you look at any broadcast TV talk show with an audience, that's what Princess Live! is supposed to mimic.

Now, with that in mind, the Explorer's Lounge is a real lounge, and is great for what it is designed to be, just like Princess Live! is great for what it was designed to be.

As for a preference of one over the other: no, I didn't LOVE either one, but I knew what they're designed purpose was and took it for that, not what is wasn't.

11525561853_2916fbd7a9_c.jpg

11525826613_360f642546_c.jpg

11525826323_17662319b6_c.jpg

I'm sure you may already know this, but Princess Live! was designed to look like a "recording studio", similar to the kind where talk shows are taped. It's not meant to be, nor was it designed to be, a "lounge". If you look at any broadcast TV talk show with an audience, that's what Princess Live! is supposed to mimic.

Now, with that in mind, the Explorer's Lounge is a real lounge, and is great for what it is designed to be, just like Princess Live! is great for what it was designed to be.

As for a preference of one over the other: no, I didn't LOVE either one, but I knew what they're designed purpose was and took it for that, not what is wasn't.

If Princess where copying a TV studio they did an ok job, but why put a fake tv studio on a real cruise ship, it has no place to be there. I think the designer of the Royal must have been on a West Coast USA vacation,

Go to LA visit Warner Bros, ooooh tv studio, I'll put that on my new ship.

Go to Las Vegas, visit Ballagio fountains, ooooh fountains, I'll put that on my ship.

Go to Grand Canyon sky walk, ooooh glass sky walk, I'll put that on my ship.

The whole Princess live concept entertainment is set up to the imaginary tv viewer, I mean how many passengers actually tune in to watch in there cabins.

My opinion on princess live is based on the Regals version, I beleive the royals is even worse in design.

If Princess where copying a TV studio they did an ok job, but why put a fake tv studio on a real cruise ship, it has no place to be there. I think the designer of the Royal must have been on a West Coast USA vacation,

Go to LA visit Warner Bros, ooooh tv studio, I'll put that on my new ship.

Go to Las Vegas, visit Ballagio fountains, ooooh fountains, I'll put that on my ship.

Go to Grand Canyon sky walk, ooooh glass sky walk, I'll put that on my ship.

The whole Princess live concept entertainment is set up to the imaginary tv viewer, I mean how many passengers actually tune in to watch in there cabins.

My opinion on princess live is based on the Regals version, I beleive the royals is even worse in design.

Celebrity Cruises has a similar venue called Celebrity Central, it's just that Princess Live! took the concept to the next level and made it a dedicated TV studio. It still has multi-function capabilities for lectures and game shows, but it is most definitely not meant to be a lounge.

As for "who puts that on a cruise ship": NCL has its Under The Big Top circus-themed dinner-theater, Celebrity Cruises has large expanses of deck space taken up with real grass lawns, RCI has the new North Star giant raising-arm observation pod and the iFly sky-diving simulator, and Carnival Cruises has giant ropes-course complexes cluttering up the top decks. Each cruise line tries to add new 'things' that correspond with the interests of current demographics while trying to be innovative and also attracting new customers. Princess Cruises also has more of an 'upscale image' to maintain, so it limits the degree to which they can 'go crazy' adding a bunch of stuff topside, while still remaining elegant and somewhat sophisticated - they added something new, and depending on the individuals likes and dislikes, those 'innovations' are either accepted for what they are, and enjoyed, or proclaimed a failure, and hated.

If you ever read my end-of-cruise review written in 2013 I agreed that the space occupied by the dancing fountains could have been utilized. But it is what it is: I could not change that fact since it was already there, decided to try and enjoy it for what is was, and not spend a lot of time seething on what 'should have been'.

:cool:

Edited by dmwnc1959

Between that and no mid-ship stairs, maybe we should rethink booking the Regal.

You could that.

Or, if the Regal Princess' features and amenities as a whole - the sum of its parts - seem like something you'd enjoy, carefully choose the location of your cabin so that the center stairs don't really affect your daily routine.

I spent two weeks in C406 - go ahead, look at the deck plan, I'll wait....

...and the lack of a center stair case did not lessen my enjoyment of the ship. Did I have to wait for the next elevator car when one was full? Yes. Just like I did on Ruby Princess, which has a center staircase. Were there times I automatically headed for the forward stairs? Yes, when I was heading to the piazza, Princess Theatre, or going topside to the pool deck. Did I walk all the way aft and use that elevator and stairs? Yes, if I was heading towards the buffet or Vista Lounge?

I'm lazy. And I really LOVE using elevators. But for my two weeks on Royal Princess I 'adapted' to the circumstances, and made the best of it.

However, if the features you require are not there, then by all means, please do not book this ship. It is just that simple.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

We're considering booking an obstructed balcony on Deck 8 on the Regal. I already know to avoid booking a cabin over a restaurant (Crown Grill) or a bar or a piano lounge. But what is the area Princess Live! used for?

Thanks

I think your question is "would we hear noise if we booked over Princess Live." Answer, probably yes. The venue is used for game shows such as the marriage game, there are small concerts, lectures, karaoke, both day and night time trivia games, things like that. The latest night time activity I saw was karaoke starting around 10:30pm for an hour. Some of the small concerts also had a late performance.

My opinion of Princess Live is that it is a dark, uncomfortable, claustrophobic, non revenue producing, small door with difficult access area which produces "fake" TV programs. What a big mistake, it's like the ship designers never were on a cruise. With hope, Princess will allocate capital to covert the area into a open bright lounge during the first dry dock.

Edited by sknight

There's no Explorer's Lounge on the Regal? On our last cruise on the Ruby we were in the Explorer's Lounge all the time. Between that and no mid-ship stairs, maybe we should rethink booking the Regal.

Thanks for your replies.

Hardly worth changing your mind. So much else that is fabulous on the Royal/Regal.

I think your question is "would we hear noise if we booked over Princess Live." Answer, probably yes. The venue is used for game shows such as the marriage game, there are small concerts, lectures, karaoke, both day and night time trivia games, things like that. The latest night time activity I saw was karaoke starting around 10:30pm for an hour. Some of the small concerts also had a late performance.

My opinion of Princess Live is that it is a dark, uncomfortable, claustrophobic, non revenue producing, small door with difficult access area which produces "fake" TV programs. What a big mistake, it's like the ship designers never were on a cruise. With hope, Princess will allocate capital to covert the area into a open bright lounge during the first dry dock.

100% agree

11525561853_2916fbd7a9_c.jpg

11525826613_360f642546_c.jpg

11525826323_17662319b6_c.jpg

I would not agree that it is great for what it was designed for. The only entrance is at the left hand side. During the activities I attended there you often had people walking across the front on the main seating area to get to seats on the other side or to reach the exit, while the performance or activity was taking place, instead of going around the back of the center section. This occurred even when they were video taping the event. You even had people waking in front of the camera when the string trio was doing a formal concert that was being recorded. The one entrance also often makes for congestion getting in and out of activities, as well as the hallway in front of it (the only real way to get from midships to the back on that deck. The design makes it difficult for someone to stop in and observe for a few minutes to decide if they want to stay or not.

Also it really does not work for some of the activities that on other ships are scheduled in Explorers, such as trivia.

I am in the camp of much preferring ships with explorers instead of Princess Live which seems to be an attempt at copying Celebrities' Celebrity Central on the Solstice class ships. Doesn't work there either.

Edited by RDC1

Thanks

All the interior walls and ceiling in Princess Live are constructed of noise dampening panels. You can't even hear what's going on inside from just outside the entrance, let alone from your stateroom. I wouldn't worry about sound issues.

As for the venue itself, I found it pointless. The whole TV studio thing doesn't really make sense and the seating was very uncomfortable. The Cruise Director did his morning talk shows in there with a fake applause track and it just came across as cheesy. I think this whole concept was a fail.

One of the things I found odd about both Princess Live and the Vista Lounge was, neither venue has a bar. There's a small cafe outside Princess Live, but it was very limited. Vista Lounge...nothing even close. I forgot about Explorers on the other Princess ships, which is a great venue. There were several things about Regal that had me scratching my head...this is one of them.

All the interior walls and ceiling in Princess Live are constructed of noise dampening panels. You can't even hear what's going on inside from just outside the entrance, let alone from your stateroom. I wouldn't worry about sound issues.

As for the venue itself, I found it pointless. The whole TV studio thing doesn't really make sense and the seating was very uncomfortable. The Cruise Director did his morning talk shows in there with a fake applause track and it just came across as cheesy. I think this whole concept was a fail.

One of the things I found odd about both Princess Live and the Vista Lounge was, neither venue has a bar. There's a small cafe outside Princess Live, but it was very limited. Vista Lounge...nothing even close. I forgot about Explorers on the other Princess ships, which is a great venue. There were several things about Regal that had me scratching my head...this is one of them.

No bar in the Vista Lounge! That is worth scratching your head! Very strange.

We were just on the Royal and found some of the shows pretty good. It gives you something to do other than listen to crappy 1950's music played in many areas of the ship.

Maybe I was dreaming (it's certainly possible), but I would swear I remember a bar in the Vista Lounge.

As for Princess Live, we loved it. Spent a ton of time in there on both the Royal and the Regal. They did add a second entrance on the Regal, which helped a lot with the congestion when the activity ended.

Different strokes...

Maybe I was dreaming (it's certainly possible), but I would swear I remember a bar in the Vista Lounge.

As for Princess Live, we loved it. Spent a ton of time in there on both the Royal and the Regal. They did add a second entrance on the Regal, which helped a lot with the congestion when the activity ended.

Different strokes...

Where is the second entrance? The only public space that it connects with is the corridor on the left hand side where the entrance on the Royal is. The Regal deck plans do not show anything other then the one pair of doors. Same as Royal.

Where is the second entrance? The only public space that it connects with is the corridor on the left hand side where the entrance on the Royal is. The Regal deck plans do not show anything other then the one pair of doors. Same as Royal.

We didn't notice a second entrance on the Regal.

It was so crowded every time we went by. I would not even want to attempt to enter. :(

The second entrance connects to the same corridor and is located in the top corner by the Princess Live Cafe - with the main entrance in the middle.

Sandra

The second entrance connects to the same corridor and is located in the top corner by the Princess Live Cafe - with the main entrance in the middle.

Sandra

On the Royal the only entrance is on the left and is right next to the Princess Live Cafe, as shown on the deck plans.

When you say the main entrance is in the middle. Do you mean the middle of the left side (right behind the left hand seats)? Or a is it in the middle of the center section with a corridor carved out of the work space and exiting next to the Princess Live Cafe Bar area?

When you say the main entrance is in the middle. Do you mean the middle of the left side (right behind the left hand seats)? Or a is it in the middle of the center section with a corridor carved out of the work space and exiting next to the Princess Live Cafe Bar area?

Their description was very confusing. It's all one entrance. You can either go left like on Royal, or you can go right, which leads down a corridor behind the back row of seats.

But what is the area Princess Live! used for?

This question has been answered and like the majority on this thread, I also think Princess Live is stupid. Princess made a big mistake on this ship class by eliminating Explorers, taking away the Irish pub feel of Wheelhouse by making it a small lounge that's open to the hallway (ironically right next to the library), and creating this worthless Princess Live theater.

I was referring to the "corridor" with the public walking area where the weird James Bond seats and Princess Live Cafe are located. Both doors are along this corridor almost next to each other. One goes round the back of the seating area in Princess Live (the one in the corner - only on the Regal) and one goes into the main Princess Live area (same as the Royal).