RCL to end last minute discounting ??

Most of the discounting was and somewhat is at 30-60 days out - not so much last minute. I'm not sure why they mentioned the UK and Irish markets since they don't normally get price drops anyway. It will be interesting to see the sailing capacity - I have a feeling it will be little changed form the 104% of past years.

The UK and Irish markets have been getting price drops, ie prices have gone down, however, previously booked customers in these markets are not able to take advantage of them

There was a big price drop for our last cruise on Jewel at 44 days out as I managed to get a Junior Suite reduced from $1500 down to approx $1000.

Actually only cost me $150 to upgrade after the extra OBC.

Would be interested to know how you managed this has we dont usually get the same benefits here in the Uk had you booked direct with RC? did you use an american TA ? thankyou

Would be interested to know how you managed this has we dont usually get the same benefits here in the Uk had you booked direct with RC? did you use an american TA ? thankyou

I use an American TA. Saved me plenty of $ on the 3 cruises I've booked through them.(last 2 and my next one have all been transfered to US TA when I have booked onboard).

UK prices are almost on a par with price in dollars.

I use an American TA. Saved me plenty of $ on the 3 cruises I've booked through them.(last 2 and my next one have all been transfered to US TA when I have booked onboard).

UK prices are almost on a par with price in dollars.

Yes we get ripped off big time just wouldn't know how to go about getting an american TA

In December 2015, Royal Caribbean decided to alter the policy, as a means of simplifying it, by stating there will be no price drops 30 days before any Royal Caribbean cruise, not including 3 or 4 night cruises.

Interesting. I saw some wild prices on the Radiance when I checked their website on Dec 26 for the Jan 19 sailing.

Between final payment and now, my March 4 Anthem cruise dropped to half of what I originally paid. But the price of a higher category has not dropped, so I cannot upgrade.

Wow, that would be very frustrating to me Donna.

Between final payment and now, my March 4 Anthem cruise dropped to half of what I originally paid. But the price of a higher category has not dropped, so I cannot upgrade.

What penalty phase are you in? If you will only lose your deposit and the price is that much different it may pay to cancel and re-book

What penalty phase are you in? If you will only lose your deposit and the price is that much different it may pay to cancel and re-book

I did a price adjustment when I was in the first penalty phase where I only lost my deposit, and ended up with a $469 credit on my credit card. But, it has gone down another $200 since then and I am in the 50% penalty phase, so it doesn't pay now.

Wow, that would be very frustrating to me Donna.

This is the first cruise where I have ever seen a price drop after final. Usually it increases, or that ship is nearly sold out by then. So, I guess I am still ahead overall, but yes, it is very frustrating! I wasn't comfortable paying the high price, but the cruise fit our schedule perfectly, so we went with it anyway.

Edited by DonnaK

So RC are not doing last minute discounting anymore - fair enough. Perhaps it is now time as they say their figures are looking better to start putting more staff back on their ships and improving the food - things in this direction definitely need looking at.

With only 33 days left until sailing our Anthem Cruise has dropped $600 from what I booked it for a guarantee balcony.

When this cruise first hit the market an inside stateroom was going for over 3,600 for 2 people for 12 nights. I said no way. Then prices dropped, then dropped again. Now I could book a guarantee balcony for a bit over $2,700 for 2 for 12 nights.

Now I really wish I had waited. Oh well.....

i hate to get involved, but heres my two cents......

i was a long time RCCL cruiser until i started cruising solo. then, i had to switch to NCL. The new ships at NCL and perks, combined with lower prices, seem like a no brainer. But, if the price drops with NCL, you can get the price adjustment, but you lose the perk. So, many cruisers passed on price drops cuz the drink package was so much more valuable.

I don't think this policy will do much more than stop people who are waiting to book a new reservation at the very last minute. Now they know to book a bit earlier.

You still can't get price drops after final, whether or not it's 59 days prior or 30 days prior. They will move the price dropping to the period before the new cutoff. Same old.

Edited by marci22

I did a price adjustment when I was in the first penalty phase where I only lost my deposit, and ended up with a $469 credit on my credit card. But, it has gone down another $200 since then and I am in the 50% penalty phase, so it doesn't pay now.

This is the first cruise where I have ever seen a price drop after final. Usually it increases, or that ship is nearly sold out by then. So, I guess I am still ahead overall, but yes, it is very frustrating! I wasn't comfortable paying the high price, but the cruise fit our schedule perfectly, so we went with it anyway.

We set sail on our 19th cruise soon, and probably only in the last 12 cruises have we really paid much attention to price drops and whether we can actually upgrade. The few (and I mean very few) price drops as close as 30 days to sail away have been very few. As you point out most prices have always increased against our booking price. If it had been reduced it was by very little....and since we had reserved the cabin we wanted months previous, we cared very little. We cruise as often as we can and our wallet allows, so as you said, it can be frustrating....but overall we have come out well ahead as 'cruisers who plan well ahead'. Hope you have a great cruise.

We sail soon on a mid week getaway and while onboard hope to book something else....prices will determine what we do.

With only 33 days left until sailing our Anthem Cruise has dropped $600 from what I booked it for a guarantee balcony.

When this cruise first hit the market an inside stateroom was going for over 3,600 for 2 people for 12 nights. I said no way. Then prices dropped, then dropped again. Now I could book a guarantee balcony for a bit over $2,700 for 2 for 12 nights.

Now I really wish I had waited. Oh well.....

Before the rule and now with the rule I believe that if you are flexible with sailing date and room type it's better to book last minute. I'm emerald level and as in today all my last cruises had a price drop after final payment.

After all of the smoke and mirrors, it is still supply and demand. There are lots of new ships coming over the next few years. Supply is increasing. Hopefully prices will drop to fill the ghost ships.

Somehow the dynamics of cruising is finding new cruisers each day ..... and the interest of the new design of ship, is part of the reason.

We are not "seasoned" cruisers like most here. One RC and one Celebrity. We got a last min. price on RC last year because we are 3 1/2 hours from a port. We loved it. This year, we took another last min. cruise and drove to a much further port because of last min. pricing with Celebrity (which I guess will end now, too). We got an amazing deal 2 days before sailing and took it. Still have Norweigan and Carnival close to me at the closest port to me. I will go where the best deal is with the ports that interest me. I see it like airlines---I am happy with what I feel okay paying. I won't be mad if someone gets a better deal at all. I pay what I feel okay paying and if they don't offer that---there are other lines.

We are not "seasoned" cruisers like most here. One RC and one Celebrity. We got a last min. price on RC last year because we are 3 1/2 hours from a port. We loved it. This year, we took another last min. cruise and drove to a much further port because of last min. pricing with Celebrity (which I guess will end now, too). We got an amazing deal 2 days before sailing and took it. Still have Norweigan and Carnival close to me at the closest port to me. I will go where the best deal is with the ports that interest me. I see it like airlines---I am happy with what I feel okay paying. I won't be mad if someone gets a better deal at all. I pay what I feel okay paying and if they don't offer that---there are other lines.

Having plenty of cruises under our belt, doesn't change the fact that we also 'pay what we feel is OK' and that has nothing to do with whether it is last minute, which usually we can't do because of the rest of our work life, or not. We typically book months and sometimes more than a year in advance of the sail date, getting a good price for the cabin we want. I surely don't see it exactly like an airline because I am spending days on the ship, not a few hours as the means of transportation to a destination.

But I never complain about what we pay for a cruise....when we book it, we clearly believe at that moment it is worth the price we are paying OR we would not be booking it, at all.

We are talking about price drops compared to recent prices, not if those prices are better than historical prices. The BOGO promos must be working since bookings are solid for RCI - it's up to an informed consumer to see the promos as tricks or simply as marketing.

Update to the no-last-minute-discounts policy during the quarterly earnings call.

http://www.royalcaribbean blog.com/2016/02/02/royal-caribbean-expands-and-simplifies-no-last-minute-discount-cruises-policy

During its fourth quarter earnings call today, Royal Caribbean announced it was expanding its price integrity policy to not offer any new discounts within 30 days of a sailing, on all Royal Caribbean cruises (excluding 3 and 4 night sailings).

The price integrity policy has been in place for about a year in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Ireland markets and protects against last minute discounts in the weeks leading up to a cruise. Up until now, the exact time of when the policy became effective depended on the sailing, and could be within the last 10, 30 or 40 days.

In December 2015, Royal Caribbean decided to alter the policy, as a means of simplifying it, by stating there will be no price drops 30 days before any Royal Caribbean cruise, not including 3 or 4 night cruises.

Royal Caribbean Ltd Chairman and CEO Richard Fain explained that the price integrity policy is easier in the public's point of view, as well as the revenue managers and that it is important to have a clear policy that everyone can understand.

"All of this makes the policy easier to understand and to implement. We are a strong believer that clarity and specificity in a program like this is important because otherwise, the exceptions undermine the integrity of the program, even if they are in fact very rare. "

"During this time, we have granted no exceptions to the policy since its adoption, and we have no intention of doing so now. Nevertheless, we have seen a double digit percentage improvement in the booking window over this period, and we believe that the policy helps solidify brand preference. "

"An unforeseen benefit we have found is the reduced number of bookings taken at a discount before we get to the focus period. Living the spirit of the policy has helped our revenue managers make better pricing decisions and it has been roundly applauded by the travel agents that are so central to our success."

"When we introduced the policy, we were transparent with you all that an upfront cost would result in some cabins going empty rather than being filled at deep last minute discounts. We know that in 2016 we will still see some residual impact relating to these empty cabins, but by 2017, we feel comfortable that the impact will be positive."

Fain also added that they feel they have the policy right, and they do not expect to make any further changes to the policy in the near future.

Here is a link that you can actually click on, since the website is not prohibited by CC:

http://skift.com/2016/02/03/royal-caribbean-ceo-says-last-minute-discounts-are-not-coming-back/

We just returned in january from 4 night cruise on the Indy. We noticed two major changes reduced staff, and empty cabins.

I have read it was not suppose to have affected the 4 night group, but i had watched closely the prices of this cruise and noted that the only price drop was for the interior cabins only.

We spoke to many diamond and diamond plus members who seemed quite content with their interior accommodations. We chose the wraparound aft balcony. Most of the aft balconies were empty BTW.

They were not offered an upgrade, nor an upsell offer.

I thought it was curious. We were mostly upset with the lack of available service.