Come on now ......

It's funny because I've never experienced an elevator issue on any of my cruises. Heard lots of stories, but never did someone get angry or openly annoyed at someone else for using it.

Thing is that cruising is actually a lot of walking...including up and down the stairs. There are times when all of us are tired of walking and want to take the elevator. Like, how many times does a person use an elevator in a hotel versus the stairs? Probably 99% of the time? Why should a ship be any different?

Perhaps RCCL could change the elevator waiting areas to look like the Roman Colosseum. They have staff members on either side and they hand you either a spear/shield or a sword/shield (your choice). You then enter and battle to the death for your opportunity to get on the elevator. If the people are not fighting to a satisfactory level then they release a few tigers/lions into the area to liven things up a bit.

are+you.png

So you are trying to drum up more business by having everyone take the stairs. I get it. LOL
Exactly! I sell stair climbers and orthopedic braces on the side as well! Anyone interested, PM me! Carl, what do ya say?

Exactly! I sell stair climbers and orthopedic braces on the side as well! Anyone interested, PM me! Carl, what do ya say?

We throw a few matchbox cars and a couple of tennis balls on those stairs and we can really get this thing cranked up fast! :)

We throw a few matchbox cars and a couple of tennis balls on those stairs and we can really get this thing cranked up fast! :)
Carl, you're on to something! Ball bearings for you and ball joint surgeries for me! ;) ...... To be honest, I'm not an orthopedic surgeon. I'm a proctologist.

We also just got off the Independence this Sunday and we had traditional dining and were amazed that most guests were very well dressed. Our table of 8 all commented that it was the best dressed cruise we had been on, even on the casual nights. There was a group of over 100 Steam-punk fans on board who were dressed to the nines in Victorian costumes each night.

There were a few jeans and t shirts and we saw at least one person turned away at the door, but they were the exception.

No problem with hand sanitize or the elevators as far as we were concerned.

It was the best cruise we have been on out of 17 cruises

There was a group of over 100 Steam-punk fans on board who were dressed to the nines in Victorian costumes each night.

We were wondering what type of group all of those who were dressed up belonged to. I agree, some very creative outfits and a lot of head turning. :)

The use of the elevators on a ship is NOT restricted to:

1. People going 2 or more floors

2. People with physical disabilities

3. People in wheelchairs

4. Elderly people

5. People with bad hips, joints, legs, knees, etc.

ANYONE can go take the elevator ANYTIME they want for ANY reason they want for as few floors as they want to. It is none of your concern. You are not owed an explanation nor do you deserve one. You haven't paid an additional fee for priority elevator access. You are the same as everyone else.

I think what would improve the service of the elevators would be for people to allow more people on each car. 4-6 people on an elevator is not a full elevator.

Those waiting: get on and squeeze in. Those already on: make some room for others please. :)

* note * - My use of the word "You" is meant to be generic and applies to people in general and no one specifically. :)

VERY MUCH like this!!

I'm 70 but look pretty healthy and am on the Indy right now. I got on an elevator on deck nine and pushed the button for fourteen. Some loud mouth woman in the back said "I don't know why people can't walk one or two flights of stairs instead of crowding in the elevators." Well lady, I have Rheumatoid arthritis and my feet and knees are a mess. I would gladly trade my joints for yours, but you can keep your rude ignorant mouth. Try minding your own business and keep your miserable thoughts to yourself.

Yep.. I would have turned around and said just that.

I have to disagree. CAN anyone take an elevator anytine they want to? Sure. SHOULD they? Maybe not. I liken it to this....

Ever been in your car at a crosswalk waiting to make a right turn but someone is walking in the crosswalk so you have to wait for them to get across before you can make your turn? Happens to all of us. What drives me nutso is when the walker takes their jolly old time. Of course they have the right of way and they can walk at any pace they want to but for god's sake, PLEASE pick up the pace (even slightly) so I can make my turn. If I am the walker and I know someone is waiting for me to cross before they can turn I kick it up a notch. Just because you can walk at any pace you want to does not mean you should. This applies to many things in life including the current conversation.

Some things are just common courtesy and common courtesy is sadly what most people lack.

AND....if you are one of those people (and you know who you are) that stick your arm in the elevator to stop the door a half second before it is about to close??? Watch out! You need to wait for the next elevator!

How are you the one to decide if a person SHOULD use the elevator? The only requirement for whether or not I SHOULD use the elevator.. is... If I WANT to use the elevator. That is up to me.. not you, or anyone else. Does not matter how far I ride or how fit I am, I have every right to use it.

You want to do something for elevator etiquette... post signs for idiots who try to get in the elevator before those that are coming out. That would be helpful.

Sounds like IT Band Syndrome. Get your self a foam roller

http://www.active.com/running/articles/3-ways-to-conquer-it-band-pain

It works.

I have a foam roller (or foam torturer as I call it). it definitely helped with my knee issues which were in part caused by IT band (I ended up with torn meniscus). The hip stuff is apparently glute related and due to pelvic alignment. It's a relatively new thing for me so still working through it. I'm training for the Dopey Challenge in January so its not too debilitating ;) Thanks for the article though

Part of my cruising experience is enhanced when I use the elevator. I particularly like the glass ones near large atriums. I'm extremely lazy when I'm cruising especially after a long hot day at the beach. The sun just zaps my energy, I start out strong. But since I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere, I figure the elevator is there for everyone to use and have never given it a second thought.

You want to do something for elevator etiquette... post signs for idiots who try to get in the elevator before those that are coming out. That would be helpful.

I agree...This is far more important than deciding someone should not be allowed to use the elevator. Everyone on the ship paid for the right to use the elevator. The etiquette is where the problem lies...or rather the lack of etiquette with some people...

Let's hope RCI doesn't read this and decides that restricting the access to elevators to people who pay extra for it would make a nice extra stream of revenue.

As for the hand sanitizers, I saw on Anthem that they now have sinks with warm water and soap before you enter Windjammer. Don't know how efficient these are...but they are there...

How are you the one to decide if a person SHOULD use the elevator? The only requirement for whether or not I SHOULD use the elevator.. is... If I WANT to use the elevator. That is up to me.. not you, or anyone else. Does not matter how far I ride or how fit I am, I have every right to use it.

Great reply.

If I want to sit and ride the elevator up and down, all day long....I paid for my cruise too and have every right to.:D

Just off the Indy on sunday:

People, please use the hand sanitizer stations in the windjammer and dining rooms. It's for yours and our protection. Don't just walk past them. These are the same people that poop and don't wash their hands I'll bet.

Unless you are 80, use a wheel chair, or a cane please feel free to walk up or down ONE deck using the stairs instead of stopping a full elevator full of people to be so lazy.

Please ditch your beat up Harley Davidson shirt and hockey jersey and show up in the main dining room looking presentable and show respect for once in your life... slobs.

In the Windjammer, don't stand around the buffett holding conversations with 10 of family members blocking traffic and food accessability. Go sit down and get out of the way.

Thanks ....

OP, are you 80 or over? Use a wheel chair/cane? just curious....and just and FYI....elevators are not just for handicapped people....I like them when I feel LAZY!! Oh I admitted that yes I can get LAZY, who gives a crap!

Don't go crazy, EVERY CRUISE EVERY DAY we see VERY HEALTHY VERY MOBILE PEOPLE using the elevators to go up or down one or two flights. Don't pretend there are not lots of perfectly healthy people using the elevators for no good reason. I've always wondered if it's that they are just lazy, or don't realize there are stairways they could use.......It's almost bizzare when you watch a bunch of teenagers for example barge on an elevator and go DOWN one floor........ and there is a stairway 10 feet away.......

There are some truly disabled people who could use that elevator without the competition. :(

yes but riding in a pretty awesome elevator with some cool views is fun! Plus we need to get in the elevator to see what day of the week it is.....

for the record I am in my 30's and have never had people fight over elevators both on cruise ships and off...most people wait their turns.....

yes but riding in a pretty awesome elevator with some cool views is fun! Plus we need to get in the elevator to see what day of the week it is.....

Unfortunately not on every RC ship... only way we know what day it really is! If you actually care...;)

Thread just keeps getting better and better.

See, now that is funny! Most people wanted to rake my eyes out at first and now there are some that agree with me and probably more that won't admit it. I am not dumping on people that are elderly, feable, sick or have medical conditions when it comes to the elevator. I'm talking to those who are simply too lazy to take the stairs one flight ten feet away. You know who you are and you might be taking the last two spots from some who may need it. You are not required to explain your medical condition if you have one. Our room was on three and never once did me, the wife , not my two young children take the elevator even up two flights to the promenade. Why? Out of courtesy to those who actually needed the elevator. Why some of you want to beat me up for speaking the truth is beyond me.

I know exactly what you are saying. I don't know how many times a group of teenagers got on the elevator for 1 floor even though the elevator is full and we had to squeeze in. :mad:

I easily qualify for a senior discount and have NEVER known that elevators were installed in buildings and ships for only the handicapped to use. When did that start?

Are the use of chairs reserved for only those that require their use? Should all young healthy cruisers be required to stand during dinner? Why are there so many deck chairs available on the pool deck? Only those that NEED them should use them. Others should be on the running track!? LOL

The real issue is that lack of courtesy. People thinking only of themselves and minding everyone else's business. You are on vacation...chill.

When did that start?

It hasnt :rolleyes: And why y'all are making such a big deal out of it over one persons opinion is beyond me.

Talking about making a mountain out of a freakin mole hill. Wow.

What does qualifying for a senior discount have to do with anything?

Edited by ryano

It hasnt :rolleyes: And why y'all are making such a big deal out of it over one persons opinion is beyond me.

Talking about making a mountain out of a freakin mole hill. Wow.

What does qualifying for a senior discount have to do with anything?

Why are you perplexed? Is this a new phenomenon around here?