Reviews. Would you rather hear the truth or how wonderful everything was?

That said, it's very difficult to say everything wasn't wonderful without getting your head torn off............

If you think it's bad on here, try the Anthem facebook page! I've lost count of the number of times people have said "this is a fan page, people shouldn't be complaining on here" or "if your comment isn't 100% positive go away" or words to that effect!

Not that I am saying that there is something wrong, it's just that I would rather know the truth to save myself from something that wasn't so perfect as someone would say. Like, Yes I was on deck 8 of the Adventure of the Seas... I had a hump cabin and I will never do it again. I had the center cabin and had a fantastic view up and down the ship so why wouldn't I do it again?

1) The vibration ( I guess from the engines?) was unbelievable

2) The sewage smell in the hall and on the balcony

3) Shall we say... happy people getting off the elevators very late at night.

I am not complaining! Really. It's just next time, I will be getting a room closer to the middle of the ship hoping I don't feel as much as a vibration from the engines and further away form the elevators.

This is all stuff I would like to know before I book so that I can prevent unpleasant experiences and enjoy more.

On a more pleasant note, I love the new chairs on the balconies. They are higher on the back and they recline and the table is taller.

So, I believe that a more honest review to help the next person is way better then a rose colored sunglasses is better. What do you guys think?

Interesting question and how it's worded. It's as if you don't believe some reviews can be 'wonderful'. I take all reviews with a grain of salt. In general, I find most more entertaining than informative.

i think the OP is on the right track with a cabin specific review. While not every ship is the same, I think it's good to point out certain potential setbacks.

We recently enjoyed an aft cabin on our last cruise but encountered none of the noise problems from the lounge a deck below, as mentioned by some reviewers. Other reviewers were right on the money with warnings about sewage and funnel exhaust odor.

And, why is it we are immediately drawn to reviews that fall way short of the five star rating? :confused:

Whoa! I pretty much gave up just waiting for that thing to down load!

Curiosity got the best of you, didn't it?:p:D I thought maybe it wasn't still online when it was taking so long to load. Maybe one of these days, I'll try reading it.....NOT!

BTW, I searched for that link just for you.:D

I like a balanced review with both good and bad because I am trying to learn from other's experiences. I accept that what someone else may see as "bad", I may view as a minor issue. Everything is relative. I really appreciate all those who put the time in to complete reviews. Thank you! :)

I think something can be critical without being overly negative.

I think something can be positive without being cheerleading.

If something is the worst ever / best ever I tend to ignore it. Find it hard to believe something is the worst or best. Somewhere in between is probably more accurate. I try to filter for useful and practical information. If there are genuine problems/service issues I want to know. If there's a really good dish or show to see, I want to know also. The more data available, the better, just need to read it with a filter.

I think something can be critical without being overly negative.

I think something can be positive without being cheerleading.

If something is the worst ever / best ever I tend to ignore it. Find it hard to believe something is the worst or best. Somewhere in between is probably more accurate. I try to filter for useful and practical information. If there are genuine problems/service issues I want to know. If there's a really good dish or show to see, I want to know also. The more data available, the better, just need to read it with a filter.

This is exactly how I feel. I am just not very good with words. I LOVE cruising and I think that cruise critics is a great place to get the latest info. I tried a real review but I just can't word things the way I want to. Next year will probably be the last Adventure cruise we do for now but then I will be looking to get as much inside information as I can on the ship or cruise line that we choose.

Each to their own I think.

I have to say I thought the cabanas on the barefoot beach at Labadee must be a bit like the emperors new clothes. People are too embarrassed to say that they spent $XXX to sit in an open beach shed surrounded by other people and so they say they are great.

your great too Barnaby.......:cool: but maybe its because they are in Haiti and its blazing hot with barley any shade.....Just saying......:eek:

I think it's better to give an honest review of the good and the bad. There's no need for the set-up question of "would you rather hear the truth or how wonderful everything was?" That comes across like prejudging anyone who dares take issue with anything you say as not being interested in the truth.

For what it's worth, I haven't been on the Adventure, but have been on three other Voyager class ships and not noticed any significant vibration, no matter which part of the ship we were on (and we have been on or near the "hump" most times).

Bingo the man wins a prize I could not say it any better myself

I think this is one where I'd have to say Don't knock it until you try it....

I'm not embarressed at all to say that I spent $225 to rent a cabana on Labadee. I enjoyed every minute of as you say sitting "in an open beach shed surrounded by other people".

For some, having that small bit of shelter is the difference between enjoying the day on the beach and being miserable. I'm very fair skinned and burn very easily. I don't like being covered in sand and I don't like laying out in the sun baking. When we don't have a cabana I spend no more than 2 hours on the island before wanting to go back to the ship. This past cruise we got a the cabana and I spent the entire day on the island. I was able to go in and out of the water without getting covered in sand. I could get out of the sun complete while enjoying the views. The furniture was much more comfortable than a beach chair and the cabana was fully stocked with towels, and cold water.

I have no problem mentioning that we had an over the water cabana on our Independence cruise back in January. We were shooting for one on Coco Cay this month until we had to cancel the cruise last minute. We stopped getting off in Labadee many cruises ago until DW booked the cabana last cruise. We never spent that much time there before. The service and food was far superior to our past visits.

As for reviews, call me shallow but I usually stick to the heavy photo reviews. I just like seeing the Caribbean especially in the dead of winter. I do appreciate tips on places to see but I already got a good idea what to expect from the ship so I don't need to read about the food, service, and shows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They say never to assume anything but I think I'm safe on this one. You didn't read this review that's 119 pages.:eek:

http://www.jenscruisereviews.com/Liberty_Review_final1.pdf

I also have you beat. I didn't even read the first sentence when I saw how many pages it was. Saw-wee to the person who wrote it, I just couldn't do it.:D

119 Pages! Yikes! What did she write about? I have a hunch that she crossed over the TMI category.

To be honest, when I read a lot of these reviews these are my thoughts:

• I don't care about what time you had to leave your house
  • I don't care what your Holiday Inn at the airport was like
  • I don't care what your Ramada at the port city was like
  • We're four pages in, get to the damn cruise ship already
  • This sounds like a really good cruise, where are the photos?
  • Oh there are no photos?

But I'm just a grump ;)

Edited by TheGinBoy

BonnieSte (the OP) .... Thanks for your honest report and cabin locations to avoid. :)

LuLu

You're welcome. Just trying to help. Someone pointed out that it may just be a mechanical problem for right now and it can be fixed. But seriously, this is what it felt like (not my video but it is the adventure of the Seas a week after I got off the ship.

I think this is one where I'd have to say Don't knock it until you try it....

I'm not embarressed at all to say that I spent $225 to rent a cabana on Labadee. I enjoyed every minute of as you say sitting "in an open beach shed surrounded by other people".

For some, having that small bit of shelter is the difference between enjoying the day on the beach and being miserable. I'm very fair skinned and burn very easily. I don't like being covered in sand and I don't like laying out in the sun baking. When we don't have a cabana I spend no more than 2 hours on the island before wanting to go back to the ship. This past cruise we got a the cabana and I spent the entire day on the island. I was able to go in and out of the water without getting covered in sand. I could get out of the sun complete while enjoying the views. The furniture was much more comfortable than a beach chair and the cabana was fully stocked with towels, and cold water.

I absolutely agree. And also, there's no rushed feeling to get off the ship to claim your spot on the beach, which makes for even more of a relaxed day. Can't wait to do it again in September. :D

You're welcome. Just trying to help. Someone pointed out that it may just be a mechanical problem for right now and it can be fixed. But seriously, this is what it felt like (not my video but it is the adventure of the Seas a week after I got off the ship.

We were on the AOS a couple of years ago in #1600 on deck 10. We experienced a lot of vibration as well. We adjusted to it after a couple of nights so it wasn't a deal breaker. As you can see, we are booked on her again for December.

Edited by JimAOk1945