how does the room safe get locked?

catspaw1

hi All we leave in 2 weeks aboard the Summit. Question: How does the safe lock? Do we enter our own combination? If so how many digits? Or use a credit card to open it? How much stuff can you fit in there? Would a DSL camera, point & shoot camera, cell phones, wallets , passports & money be too much?

hi All we leave in 2 weeks aboard the Summit. Question: How does the safe lock? Do we enter our own combination? If so how many digits? Or use a credit card to open it? How much stuff can you fit in there? Would a DSL camera, point & shoot camera, cell phones, wallets , passports & money be too much?

Depending on the size of the camera, it probably will not fit. All the other stuff will fit with no issue.

Follow the directions on the front of the safe, or ask your room attendant, about setting the security code.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

You enter a four digit number. The directions are posted at the safe. They are not very large, but may be able to hold what you mention depending on the size of the DSL camera.

Note: Security can open the safe without knowing your code. On some cabins on some M Class ships they need to drill the safe to open without combination.

Edited by Orator

OK if it all won't fit my husband will bring his backpack which he can lock & we can use the lock to lock it to something in the room that's not moveable. Any suggestions on that? Sometimes we just lock it to the desk if that's possible. How many digits is the security code? I would like to pick out a number in advance. sounds like it's a very small safe yes?

You can certainly fit in your wallets, passports, cash, jewelry and a regular sized camera or two. I have never bothered putting our laptops, cell phones, tablets, even cameras in the safe, I just put them out of sight in a drawer and have never had a problem. You will pick a 4 digit number for the safe, and I have always seen it advised to avoid picking a number that is easily found (your birthday, for example.) The safe is very easy to program. I do know that the security staff can open it, however --- on our last cruise, ours malfunctioned (or we did something to it) and security came right down to open it for us. I have never seen reports on these boards that theft is a big problem from cabins.

Edited by cynbar

we had a friend who lost her camera on a cruise- she thinks the steward took it but not sure. We have traveled all over the world & frankly don't leave valuables out. In the US maybe I leave my laptop out but we only stay in Marriott hotels- never anything else. Too much temptation so why chance it? That's why we have portable combination locks. We lived abroad for 7 years in some third world countries also- we have never had anything stolen but we always take precautions. Maybe I am just paranoid.

No judgment here, everyone should lock up what they feel they need to. Only giving my personal experience. Replies have given you an idea of what will fit in the safe, take it from there.

My husband always puts in his 15" laptop, iPad, and our Canon, plus phones, wallets, etc. with room to spare. In reality, we usually just put in the money and cell phones (which we aren't using aboard) and the cameras and computers we stick in a drawer or they're on the desk charging. Never had an issue. I mean, if they're gone, we know who has access to the room. I have never heard of anyone having a problem. Don't worry.

If you're needing to pre-plan your code (first time I've heard that here) then it's 4 numbers. If you ever have trouble with it, they'll send a technician to fix it. We had to have that done last cruise. He was there in 10 minutes and we had it all fixed before we even had muster.

I will add that on our first couple cruises we locked our computers and e readers, cameras, etc. every day multiple times. After that we just started sticking them in a drawer or just leaving them out on the desk.

I have been on 10 X cruises and only locked passports, wallets, jewelry in the safe. I too leave tablets, phones, cameras out in chargers or in a drawer. We've never had a problem with theft. Have had to have the safe deactivated by security and then we reactivity with new code. Sometimes if you enter the code wrong the keypad locks up and won't clear. Easy fix by maintenance and then you can reset it with another code.

Do always check under the cloth liner in the safe... DH's passport got slid under it once.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. We try only to leave the cameras etc out when we are in the room charging them. Then everything gets locked away. Better to be safe than sorry.

we had a friend who lost her camera on a cruise- she thinks the steward took it but not sure. We have traveled all over the world & frankly don't leave valuables out. In the US maybe I leave my laptop out but we only stay in Marriott hotels- never anything else. Too much temptation so why chance it? That's why we have portable combination locks. We lived abroad for 7 years in some third world countries also- we have never had anything stolen but we always take precautions. Maybe I am just paranoid.

We don't carry a lot of expensive electronics, so the safe is plenty spacious for our needs. However, if we had something larger that we wanted to secure, we would just store it in our locked suitcase, under the bed. :cool:

I would rather key in a code every time I want the safe opened instead of using my cruise card. IF I lost the card then anyone can enter my room & access my safe right?

Sorry about the paranoia- I used to work for a paranoid agency- I am sure you all know who that is & can figure it out.... "if you see something say something". But they were right about a lot of things so I tend to err on the side of caution.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. We try only to leave the cameras etc out when we are in the room charging them. Then everything gets locked away. Better to be safe than sorry.

Our strategy: The safe is for jewelry, cash, passports. The desktop is for laptop, iPads, iPhones being charged and or used. Desk drawers are for dumping stuff from the desk if we will be out during a period when the door is standing open. Refrigerator is for wife's wine; excess and my wine sits on top of the cabinet. Suitcase under the bed is for camera lenses not going with us. Suitcase locks are kept in desk drawer where they can be found when we pack up for travel.

I stayed in a Marriott once. I would be far more nervous about my stuff there than onboard a cruise ship. YMMV.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

I would trust the crew far more than someone at a Mariott, Four Seasons, etc. For many this job is the best way to provide a decent life for their family, not worth risking losing their job to steal your camera, IPad or phone.

DH inadvertently left his IPad onboard when we disembarked a couple of years ago. Fortunately he realized it before the ship left and he made it back just before sailing-talked with security & our room steward had turn it in.

ever been to vegas? or major hotel?....they use the same type safe

actually, each time you close the safe you are resetting the combination. that's sometimes a problem if the person had a few too many or did not put on glasses....always look at the readout after closing...it will show the number you locked it with for a few seconds

I've never done this on X - set the code beginning of cruise and open close daily with same code. Open then clear it upon disembarkation.

I would rather key in a code every time I want the safe opened instead of using my cruise card. IF I lost the card then anyone can enter my room & access my safe right?

The metallic strip on the key card is super sensitive. Mine was compromised by my phone and I had to have it reset a number of times, so it's not a good idea to use it to open any thing other than your room door.

You can certainly fit in your wallets, passports, cash, jewelry and a regular sized camera or two. I have never bothered putting our laptops, cell phones, tablets, even cameras in the safe, I just put them out of sight in a drawer and have never had a problem. You will pick a 4 digit number for the safe, and I have always seen it advised to avoid picking a number that is easily found (your birthday, for example.) The safe is very easy to program. I do know that the security staff can open it, however --- on our last cruise, ours malfunctioned (or we did something to it) and security came right down to open it for us. I have never seen reports on these boards that theft is a big problem from cabins.

We are British and tend to cruise with P and O. We have only ever put passports in the safes.

Anything else like ipads/google nexus/camera/mobile phone, we never have out in the cabin, unless we are in there. When we leave the cabin they are all put out of sight.

Do I worry about them getting stolen..no. Staff would lose their job if it was them. Another passenger would have to find out hidey places to take them.

I think it comes down to common sense.

It gets worse. I leave our ipads, iphones, cameras all out in sight.

The only thing in the safe is passports and wallets.

Edited: cameras pleural canon dslr, olympus drop and waterproof, latest ipads and phones .... Need I go on?

Edited by Adidas4fun

I don't remember if it was on the Celebrity board or the Princess board but someone started a thread a while back stating that her phone was stolen out of her room. She was able to track down the staff member because every picture he took was transferred to her computer. She got some great pictures of what happens behind the scenes at parties when the staff has time off. The Captain even was in attendance. She was able to get her phone back. I'm sure that was a rare case but it can happen.

We're just off Eclipse Transatlantic. Safe held Canon DSLR with fairly large lens in camera bag, iphone, iPad mini, 2 ipod touches A4 ring binder, passports and money. Very easy to program. Safe will be open when you enter cabin. Shut the door, enter 4 digit code, press lock . Closed message will appear on screen. To open enter 4 digit.