Pre paid gratuities

madgemonica

Please don't worry. If you have a drink package, it includes the gratuities. Only if you order individual drinks is there a gratuity added. So the way it was explained to you in the first place is accurate. If you've pre-paid gratuities and purchased a drink package you're set. Further, there is no $50.00 per day limit on drinks. The only "limit" would be if a person was drinking to the point they've created a problem; or if they are abusing the package (buying drinks for a person without the package).

Finally, I think the Iceland cruise starts in the UK. On those itineraries (UK and Australia), they simply build the gratuities into the price of the drink, rather than having it show up as a separate line item when you sign the chit; but again, with a package, you won't see it either way.

I do believe you'll find that - contrary to the impression you've unfortunately received - Celebrity is better than most cruise lines, and certainly better than land based hotels, regarding "nickel and diming". Once on board it's so much nicer than a perusal of Cruise Critic would lead you to expect.

You're all set for a great cruise, now just be careful of the internet - and Celebrity's website - they can cause more doubt than they resolve. :)

Harris

Denver, CO

You are correct and I'll give the history of what occurred. Several years ago when Eclipse was launched it was homeported and still is in SouthHampton. The first year Celebrity added the tip which I believe was 15% at the time to all drinks as they do on all their ships. There were so many complaints from the Brits on board that the following year they did what you said, they just built the 15% into the price of the drink.

Isn't it interesting that when we go to the smaller and less dominant countries that we, well many of us, try to join in and are so acceptable of their cultures. We go to what some refer to as the 3rd world and are excited participating in their cultures.

But when we go to some major, large country such as the U.S., more than a few bitterly complain about some aspect of that culture and refuse to join in. Such as tipping!

But I have a feeling it has more to do with costing the 'complainers' money then their view of it being someting so terrible they won't participate in. "I hate the auto-gratuities so Ill cnx it and tip directly"....yeah, right.

And for our Brit friends, yes it does seem your countrymen/women complain more than others, but don't be embarrassed, Americans don't complain much about gratuities on these boards, but there are more than a few of them taking themselves off the auto-gratuities and stiffing the crew. On my first cruise when envelop tips were used, our tablemates said they forgot their envelopes and left to get them....both of then left and of course never returned. They were staying in a Suite and spent all their time telling us how great Texas was.

Den

Edited by Denny01

Of course it does. Tips are discretionary, period. If they weren't, they wouldn't let you remove them. I understand that you don't like that because that's how the staff (who's hard work is not denied) get paid and you don't think it's fair that people can choose not to pay them.

Unfortunately for that viewpoint, that's the other end of tipping culture. Sometimes you get stiffed, and as someone who works for tips, you learn to deal with that. I wouldn't remove autograts because I just price them in as part of the cruise, but it is absolutely, unequivocally, someone's right to refuse to tip for any reason or for no reason.

Hate to say it, but you are so right!

Of course it does. Tips are discretionary, period. If they weren't, they wouldn't let you remove them. I understand that you don't like that because that's how the staff (who's hard work is not denied) get paid and you don't think it's fair that people can choose not to pay them.

Unfortunately for that viewpoint, that's the other end of tipping culture. Sometimes you get stiffed, and as someone who works for tips, you learn to deal with that. I wouldn't remove autograts because I just price them in as part of the cruise, but it is absolutely, unequivocally, someone's right to refuse to tip for any reason or for no reason.

In theory, you are correct. However, I have no respect for someone who would remove their tips and leave nothing. Even though it is the custom in the cruise culture they are participating in. When you come down to it, it's all about the money, rather than appreciation for a service well provided for.

Not with Select dining....

I am new to Celebrity. Does anyone know why tips are prepaid prior to sailing for select dining and not fixed dining. This is absurd. Whether you prepay or pay on board, it is the same. The big difference is that it can not be charged against cabin credits

Not absurd at all. With fixed dining, you see the same dinner staff each night. You establish a relationship with them. With Select you are likely to have different wait staff each night. How to fairly assign tips? Only via a tip pool, so the waiters in Select know they won't get stiffed

Not absurd at all. With fixed dining, you see the same dinner staff each night. You establish a relationship with them. With Select you are likely to have different wait staff each night. How to fairly assign tips? Only via a tip pool, so the waiters in Select know they won't get stiffed

Sorry, it IS absurd. There's no reason why you can't pay the tips daily while on board with Select Dining. Just have a rule that you can't remove automatic tips if you're on Select. If you switch from a seating to Select while on board they still have you pay daily and don't collect it all at once when you switch. In fact, that's a way around the prepaying of tips, just switch from a standard seating to Select when you get on board, assuming that Select doesn't fill up (which I doubt it ever does, but I could be wrong).

Edited by MisterBill99

Just seen this on their website "An 18% service charge will be added to Soda, Wine, Water, Classic and Premium Package prices at checkout" It also seems there is a $50 a day limit on the drinks???

Not sure this would make sense, given that the Classic package costs $55/day.

My sentiments exactly! Outrageous! I heard some other gentleman from England on another thread bragging that he is not accustomed to tipping' date=' never has and never will. He said he goes to customer service, asks that they be removed and refuses to give a reason, saying it's none of their business. I sure hope the cruise staff doesn't judge us all by a few bad apples.

When in Rome do what the Romans do. Don't take the cruise if you can't swing the tips. Or if you are a CHEAPSKATE!

Geesh![/quote']

It's posts like this that make me feel like taking off all of tips, but I never will, the staff do too good a job.

But that's despite your xenophobic post and its implications.

Your logic is illogical. For standard cabins every passenger on the ship pays $12.50/day for tips whether at fixed dining or anytime dining; thus all waiters and assistants will get the same portion of the tips whether fixed or anytime dining.

Sorry, it IS absurd. There's no reason why you can't pay the tips daily while on board with Select Dining. Just have a rule that you can't remove automatic tips if you're on Select. If you switch from a seating to Select while on board they still have you pay daily and don't collect it all at once when you switch. In fact, that's a way around the prepaying of tips, just switch from a standard seating to Select when you get on board, assuming that Select doesn't fill up (which I doubt it ever does, but I could be wrong).

Well said.

But does anyone know why Celebrity has this tipping policy.

As select has become more popular, it can be closed once you get on board. Also, if you choose select once on board your tips will be taken out all at once and not on a daily basis.

Your logic is illogical. For standard cabins every passenger on the ship pays $12.50/day for tips whether at fixed dining or anytime dining; thus all waiters and assistants will get the same portion of the tips whether fixed or anytime dining.

It's not illogical, in Select since you have a different waiter every night the tips are pooled so everyone gets their share. In traditional, they are not pooled so the employees get what you give them,

It's not illogical, in Select since you have a different waiter every night the tips are pooled so everyone gets their share. In traditional, they are not pooled so the employees get what you give them,

In traditional, the tip amount is charged to your daily tab. It's the same amount of money. It could be prepaid and given to your waitstaff. By the same token, in Select, we could be charged daily and it could be pooled.

In traditional' date=' the tip amount is charged to your daily tab. It's the same amount of money. It could be prepaid and given to your waitstaff. By the same token, in Select, we could be charged daily and it could be pooled.[/quote']

You asked for the reason, I gave it to you.

You asked for the reason, I gave it to you.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand...What was the reason you gave for the need to pre-pay gratuities for Select dining rather than on a daily basis?

Genuinely interested.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand...What was the reason you gave for the need to pre-pay gratuities for Select dining rather than on a daily basis?

Genuinely interested.

IMO

1. Because they can.

2. Since they are prepaid it is easy for Celebrity to justify and implement the fact that they cannot be removed. If they are charged daily some people will try and have them removed.

3. Because they can.

As select has become more popular, it can be closed once you get on board. Also, if you choose select once on board your tips will be taken out all at once and not on a daily basis.

How often is select fully booked? I've never seen it when booking a cruise while the scheduled seatings are full. It's not like you have to be assigned to a specific table and they don't have space for you.

You come across as making excuses for the cruise line. That's why people keep questioning your answers.

IMO

1. Because they can.

2. Since they are prepaid it is easy for Celebrity to justify and implement the fact that they cannot be removed. If they are charged daily some people will try and have them removed.

3. Because they can.

And they can have a firm policy that you can't remove tips if you're in Select dining. But, sadly, you have the correct answer, #1 and 3. But it doesn't make it right.

Edited by MisterBill99

How often is select fully booked? I've never seen it when booking a cruise while the scheduled seatings are full. It's not like you have to be assigned to a specific table and they don't have space for you.

You come across as making excuses for the cruise line. That's why people keep questioning your answers.

Excuse me but someone asked a question and I gave the answer in two posts. I gave factual answers without an opinion, you have a problem, take it up with the cruise line, don't shoot the messenger. The reason people are questioning the answer is because they have a problem with the cruiseline, again refer to the cruise line. This board is to give information which I did, I did not give any opinion on the issue.

Edited by dkjretired

And they can have a firm policy that you can't remove tips if you're in Select dining. But, sadly, you have the correct answer, #1 and 3. But it doesn't make it right.

Nor does it make it wrong. If it was up to many of us no one would be able to remove the "service charge". This is just a step in that direction IMO.

And yes, Select dining has because very popular and does max out at times.