Need advice about booking in 2017 - no discount?

catwoman6226

Hello, and help!

I've learned so much from these boards over the last few months, and would like to ask for some advice.

We're interested in a cruise to Hawaii in early 2017, and I contacted the agent who booked our last cruise and the only thing they could offer was the same deal I see on Princess's website - no discount, no OBC, no nothin'. She said if there was a sale we could revisit the price. We've both sailed Princess before - one of us is Gold, the other Ruby, so nothing special, but we are past passengers.

I am so envious of those of you who have great relationships with your travel agent, but I haven't been able to find a good one yet. Since the cruise I'm interested in was just announced yesterday - is this common? I expected a TA to be able to get us some kind of discount...

Could our issue be because we need a handicapped accessible cabin? Has anyone ever used a big internet site (not asking for names, since I know that's not allowed!) to book a HC accessible balcony?

Advice, suggestions, etc. gratefully accepted.

I have never seen Princess put out any sales that far out.

Book the cabin you want then keep checking for sales/price drops.

Its going to be a long wait. Remember Hawaii cruises sell out so don't expect too much. But I sure would book it now.

There, see - I learned something already, thank you! I wasn't expecting a huge discount or OBC, but thought I could find get something at least.

I guess we'd better book and just start price watching, then.

...and thank you for not blasting me while pointing out that my expectations weren't realistic. Live and learn.

I just booked a B2B Panama Canal for 2917. No discount, no specials. I do this quite a lot and keep my eye on it. When there is a promotion or reduction, I call my TA and get in on it. If you want it, Book it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, TAs can discount any cruise that's open for booking. Some do, many don't. It's up to the TA and/or their agency. This far in advance, you could get a very nice discount with a TA that does. Keep looking, ask around. They're out there.

Better grab the cabin you need now and worry about the price later. You can always cancel or change to another cruise. Just be sure if you find a TA that they do not charge a cancellation fee.

If you need an accessible balcony, then I recommend you book immediately to guarantee your cabin. There aren't many options. Then keep an eye out for sales until final payment.

You didn't say whether you wanted to sell from Los Angeles or San Francisco. The Star Princess will be sailing from LA and the Grand Princess from San Francisco.

If you are able to sail from San Francisco, I would recommend you consider F315 on the Grand Princess. Although it does not have a balcony, it is a full suite with full accessibility, all suite perks, and a great location. You (or your travel agent) will need to call Princess to book that one, since they normally don't list it as available online.

A window suite usually sales for about $100 per person more than a mini-suite. However, window suites usually don't go on sale, and often they sell out before sales so you can't take advantage of sales on the rest of the ship.

There are several threads on Cruise Critic discussing window suites. F315 is wheelchair accessible - the rest of them are not.

Remember Hawaii cruises sell out so don't expect too much. But I sure would book it now.

Round-trip LA to Hawaii is one of our favorite itineraries…many sea days, island hopping & only a drive to the Port of LA. :)

However unlike years ago when there were many cruises to choose from LA, Princess has spread out the departure port to include SF & Vancouver. Based on my research that has resulted in increased fares...more demand & less supply equals higher prices. ;)

Also as discussed several times on this forum, many times prices well in advance begin higher than previously. But if someone has a specific cruise they want to sail then booking early & checking for a better price and/or cabin is probably their best option.

Better grab the cabin you need now and worry about the price later. You can always cancel or change to another cruise. Just be sure if you find a TA that they do not charge a cancellation fee.

And that some "sales" have a " nonrefundable, nontransferable" deposit.

Being refundable is not as big of an issue for me using a $100 FCC deposit however it could be substantial for anyone making a full deposit.

Travel agents can discount any cruise that Princess offers. Not all of them do but some good ones definitely still discount. You can definitely get a better price than what Princess offers. Keep checking with other agents. It doesn't matter if the cruise was just announced or not.

Since your TA isn't doing you any favors I would book directly with Princess now so you can secure your room. Once you have your booking search for a TA who discounts or offers OBC and transfer the booking to them or just monitor pricing yourself.

When I started cruising and was looking for a TA, I got names of discount TAs from anyone who named one. I built a spreadsheet. When I was booking I just started at the top and worked down. I went to each agents website and entered the info. I put the price into the spreadsheet. Gradually I eliminated the "discount" TAs who were charging Princess prices and giving little or nothing.

In the end I found a great TA. Her service is excellent. We generally, get about 15% discount plus some OBC.

We can't mention TA's here, but I have a wonderful one who gave us a nice OBC on our Hawaii 2016 cruise.

I did book it not quite 2 years in advance. It wasn't even in her booking engine.

We have since had a nice discount. I read about it from my fellow roll callers here on CC. TA didn't know about it.

I agree. Book it now. :)

Patti

Edited by sassyredhat

Lose this TA .

Princess allows discounting but not advertising the discount.

You must contact them for a quote . Merely surfing the internet won't

get you the discounted rate .

This is important - you need to ask for a quote to get discount pricing.