Cruising with ONLY Carry On Luggage

Fogfog

My last Alaska cruise was a 55 liter backpack each as it was the start of an across the U.S. road trip. We weren't planning on doing the formal nights, but we had good tablemates so I rented a tux onboard and my girlfriend had one dress rolled up so it worked for us. We are planning on going this route again and using Celebrity's pacific crossing to Japan to do an across Asia/Europe backpacking trip assuming this cruise is offered during the fall of 2017.

For the underware, I start with 14 pairs and either do laundry or discard them and purchase more when needed.

Will airlines allow the bag on planes as carry on? I have a 60 liter that is way to large and and carries much more then a carry on.

Packing 14 pairs on underware is not traveling light in my view how many socks do you pack?

I think it would be possible to do a carry-on, although I would get bored of wearing the same things over and over. I think also that the size of the person matters. A woman who is a size 5 can fit alot more into a suitcase than a woman of a size 18+. You could literally pack three or four tiny bikinis in the space it takes me to pack my one piece swimsuit!

We have found another benefit to restricting ourselves to carry on.

We can pack in 20 minutes or less and we very seldom forget anything. Certainly not anything that we deem important like meds or ipad cable. We do it by rote now. No need to fuss over it for days before the trip. We bung everything in the bag and away we go.

Edited by iancal

Packing everything in a carry on has an added benefit. You can do express walk off, catch an early flight home, and pick up the doggie on travel day. We always tell her we will be home in two days but after day 14, she is ready to be rescued.

Yes, but then there is face moisturizer, hair spray, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, sunscreen, body lotion, hair styling products ......

I'm sure I could buy some (but not all) products/brands that I prefer on board; or I can just take what I need and check my luggage.:D

Celebrity supplies shampoo, conditioner, body wash and just why do you need all of those other products? Travel size is available in hair spray, sunscreen, etc. also small plastic bottels. Most WalMart stores and most drug stores have a travel area. Less is More.

Sorry, I don't get it. I don't see anything convenient or freeing about dragging my bag everywhere, fighting for bin space or having to do hand laundry on the ship...or even sending it out and hoping it comes back on time or looking good. Then there's time shopping for things you need that you couldn't bring.

As far as walking off the ship, you can do it with a larger bag as well, if that's what you want to do.

I'm also one who doesn't want to wear the same clothing every day. I'm sure most people who pack light do manage to get their laundry done but I've been on cruises with some who obviously don't and it's not good.:eek:

Of course it can be done, I just don't see any great advantage in doing so.

Sorry, I don't get it. I don't see anything convenient or freeing about dragging my bag everywhere, fighting for bin space or having to do hand laundry on the ship...or even sending it out and hoping it comes back on time or looking good. Then there's time shopping for things you need that you couldn't bring.

As far as walking off the ship, you can do it with a larger bag as well, if that's what you want to do.

I'm also one who doesn't want to wear the same clothing every day. I'm sure most people who pack light do manage to get their laundry done but I've been on cruises with some who obviously don't and it's not good.:eek:

I don't get it either.

If I am going to incur the cost to stop (i.e have a cab waiting for me or rent a car) to visit a land-based store so I can buy products, then what exactly have I achieved by not checking my luggage?

I do express walk off on every cruise - with my full-size luggage. no problems.

The only advantage to me of not having checked luggage is not having to do the wait at baggage carousel and not having any risk of my luggage going MIA.

I know Celebrity provides some toiletries, but I like the good stuff (so does my 40-something hair and skin). As for all the hair product - I have long hair - it needs TLC and I want to look good in my pictures :D

It depends how and for how long you travel.

Our trips usually last anywhere for 6 weeks to 12 weeks. We seldom take a cruise without combining it with a land vacation. Last winter we were travelling for three months. We include 2 cruises-a 14 day and a 17 day. Plus lots of travels by air, ferry, car etc.

So we find it much easier to travel with a carry on size roller. Twice during our travels over the past year we have been able to skate around airline connections issues simply because our luggage was with us. We were able to catch another connection instead of waiting 4 hours or until the next morning because our connection would be missed by the time our luggage was offloaded from the prior, late flight.

When we are on trains and small ferrys we restrict ourselves to carry on simply because we can handle it easily. We can lift it to the overhead bin or we can carry it across several boats and down a small ladder as we had to do this winter in Thailand.

Going from home to ship to home is very different. Many people travel as we do and we can well understand why they do not want to, or cannot, take everything that they own with them. It really is a function of how you travel, where you travel, and you physical ability/willingness to handle your own bags comfortably.

Edited by iancal

It depends how and for how long you travel.

Our trips usually last anywhere for 6 weeks to 12 weeks. We seldom take a cruise without combining it with a land vacation. Last winter we were travelling for three months. We include 2 cruises-a 14 day and a 17 day. Plus lots of travels by air, ferry, car etc.

So we find it much easier to travel with a carry on size roller. Twice during our travels over the past year we have been able to skate around airline connections issues simply because our luggage was with us. We were able to catch another connection instead of waiting 4 hours or until the next morning because our connection would be missed by the time our luggage was offloaded from the prior, late flight.

When we are on trains and small ferrys we restrict ourselves to carry on simply because we can handle it easily. We can lift it to the overhead bin or we can carry it across several boats and down a small ladder as we had to do this winter in Thailand.

Going from home to ship to home is very different. Many people travel as we do and we can well understand why they do not want to, or cannot, take everything that they own with them. It really is a function of how you travel, where you travel, and you physical ability/willingness to handle your own bags comfortably.

Thanks for the input.

We have lite bags--I bought them from Fly-lite.

They can be accomodated in the smallest overhead bins of planes like Ryan Air

They are not the hard side heavy oversized "carry on" roller bags I see so many struggle with...

Can you tell me which bags you are using...

As newly empty nesters we expect our travel options to pick up and there are many wonderful places to see and things to do. We have lived overseas several times and have learned to adapt to what we find in the pharmacies/markets etc.

So advice on which bags fit the bill for this trip and beyond would be great:D

I agree, it's not for everyone :) people travel in different ways, for the way we travel, packing light works for us, I think if someone likes taking cabs & private transport they should take as many bags as they like.

Some of my favorite memories of Europe are all of the trains/buses we've taken along the way, the people we meet & see, we could afford cabs, but for me the journey is a great part of the enjoyment, & I couldn't do it as easily carrying a 40 or 50 lb. bag, but I realize that for many people that is not their idea of a good time.

Definite advantage to only having carry on with trains or rental cars in europe. But since I was barely able to take everything in a carryon for a 4 night trip to Vancouver I dont think I would be able to make it with 3-4 weeks in Europe. Especially in colder weather. But kudos to those who can.:D

It is not that hard to pack with carry on only, but you have to change your frame of mind from thinking you NEED many of the things you might normally pack. I have not done a 14 day cruise, but did take a 10 day land-based trip to Italy with only a carry on size suitcase (I checked it, but it was carry on size) and a tote bag. Granted, a Baltic cruise will likely be a little chillier than Tuscany so you might need another layer, but should still be very doable.

My tips:

• Yes, things need to do double duty. Wear a shirt by itself on a warmer day, that can be layered underneath something else on a chillier day, take a jacket that is water resistant so it can serve as both a warmer layer AND a raincoat if you need one, etc.
  • Unless you sweat heavily, whatever clothing you wear can likely be worn at least another day. Pants can usually be worn several days before needing to be laundered, especially jeans. Obviously, darker colors will be better at hiding dirt, so skip the white t-shirts.
  • Plan everything around 1 or 2 neutral colors and make sure everything mixes and matches. I took a pair of black capris and a pair of khaki capris and 4 or 5 tops that worked with either, for example. I wore one pair of comfy, cushioned sandals the entire week. I had taken another pair of flats and they never came out of the suitcase. The sandals went with both pants, as well as the one dress and one pair of shorts that I took. Granted, we were staying in a private villa most of the time and eating dinner in, but had I been on a ship, the 2nd pair of shoes would have gone with everything and could easily have been used for dressing a little nicer in the evenings.
  • Skip formal night. Just go to a specialty restaurant or the buffet on those nights so that you can get by with normal casual or smart casual clothing.
  • Shoes- As with clothes that mix and match, take shoes that go with everything. I'd take one pair of comfortable walking shoes (whatever style that might be for you) and one pair of comfortable but dressier sandals (with or without a heel, or dressy flats, or whatever) to wear in the evenings.
  • Wrinkle-free jersey knit fabrics are great. A black jersey knit skirt or pants can be worn with a couple of different tops night after night and no one will know or care that you're wearing the same bottoms.
  • Use the ship's laundry service.
  • Toiletries- this is the one many ladies can't swing, but you need to just decide what your priorities are. If your priority is taking a carry on only, then be ruthless in deciding what toiletries you think you "need." Maybe at home you have one moisturizer for daytime, a different one for nighttime, a separate eye cream etc. For a 14 day cruise, there's no reason you can't just pack one moisturizer and make do for 2 weeks without separate night creams, eye creams etc. Pick ONE shade of each make up item instead of thinking you need multiple lipsticks, eyeshadows etc. Skip the perfume. Don't worry about your hair being all fancy; wear a simply style and forget the curlers and whatnot, and so forth.
  • Forget about packing a bunch of "just in case" items. You are going to be in a civilized part of the world where you can likely buy anything you might suddenly need. I have bought allergy medicine in Mexico, medi-tape (for blisters) in Nassau, a car charger plug (for a cellphone) in Florence, Italy, etc.

Great advice.

I am up for it--DH and DS19 are reticent..and DS22 is flexible

One site I like is Travel Light...

and another .. the savvy backpacker has great advice even though we are not backpacking.:cool:

We often travel also like Janal.

As has been stated size and level of fitness are important factors in determining how one travels and packs. We are early 60"s and fit I am 5"8" the wife is petite at 5' with size 6 shoes.

We use Samsonite B-Lite the 22 inch bag weighs 5.5lbs. This bag is too large for carry on but will fit in train lockers and roll under the storage shelves on trains and shuttles.

I have packed these bags to carry 51lbs each when returning from our last trip so why do people travel with 27inch bags that weigh 18lbs empty makes little sense to me when the cap is 50 pounds.

We did a 3 month trip last fall traveling from Toronto we covered Europe and Caribbean ending up in Nola. So packing was a challenge but each bag weighed 35lbs when we started.

We had rain wear for Paris, long underwear for the Alps and shorts for the Caribbean.

We took 4 flights, 5 trains, twice we carried the luggage on street trams, took 2 trans-Atlantic's on Oasis for 25 nights and a 14 night a princess Caribbean cruise, 8 nights on a Viking river cruise during 30 days in Europe.

We actually came back with a few items we did not wear. I packed an unlined suit coat, 2 ties, light dress pants and a white shirt for more formal dining. The wife packs silk dresses for for formals they are light and pack very small.

We are planing a vacation for this winter a few months that will include a month in Hawaii, fly to the Philippines, then Bangkok on to Cambodia / Siem Riep to Saigon by boat. Travel through Vietnam to Hanoi / 2 night Halong Bay on a boat. Fly to Hong Kong then on to Shanghai and back home.

We will do this with 20 inch carry on as it is all warm weather and easier move about.

Edited by baldercash

We are cruising 14 nights on a Baltics/St Pete Cruise.

Considering trying to do this with only a carry on (Fly-Lite - a UK brand).

Flying from the US.

Has anyone managed cruising with a carry -on only?

Have read some threads regarding a River cruise done this way. Given the weather and need for various light layers I think it might be possible.

Thoughts?

Advice?

Rick Steeves packs a roll on & a sling pack over his shoulder for 30 day Europe trips .check Rick Steeves web site for ideas:D

Fogfog...DW uses a Rick Steves roller/carry on . 21 inch. It is fairly light but the big benefit is that is has very good wheels...a necessity in Europe.

I use a generic 19 in roller. I never fill it so DW can sometimes put extras in it.

Both are well within regulation carry on size. The only issue we have is some regional European carriers strictly enforce a 7Kg weight restriction. When this happens we can check one and carry on one...or simply check both if we take out the items we want to have with us on the flight..ipad, book, etc.

Like others, we layer clothing and all of that just in case stuff stays at home in the closet. When we return home from a trip, as we are unpacking, we think about any items that we only wore once or twice. These get eliminated or replaced with something else on the next trip.

This is how we did our winter trip. We had one 14 day cruise pre booked and then we snagged a last minute 17 day cruise en route. We no longer bother with cruise ship formal nights in the MDR, they are no longer very special for us.

Edited by iancal

Will airlines allow the bag on planes as carry on? I have a 60 liter that is way to large and and carries much more then a carry on.

Packing 14 pairs on underware is not traveling light in my view how many socks do you pack?

It really depends on the airline, I've been able to take it as carry on many american based airlines. Most in Europe will make you check it, but I don't fly all that often when I travel, mainly by sea or land.

14 pairs of underwear take up very little space in a 55 liter bag. For socks I usually go with 1 pair of hiking wool socks, 1 pair of black dress socks and 7 normal pairs. Here's my packing list below:

2 dress shirts

1 pair of black dress pants

1 pair of jeans

1 pair of convertible pants

1 pair of shorts

1 bathing suit

6 T-shirts (usually underarmour type fast drying shirts)

1 long-sleeve T-shirt

1 pair of flip-flops

1 pair of sneakers

7 pairs of socks

1 pair of wool hiking socks

1 pair of black dress socks

1 pair of dress shoes

14 pairs of boxer shorts

1 towel

If you roll it and pack it tight this leaves me about half my packing space remaining in my 55 L Dakine pack.

Edited by camarodrivenrs

and another .. the savvy backpacker has great advice even though we are not backpacking.:cool:

I have found that many "packing light" sites/blogs etc. are geared towards backpackers who are staying in hostels etc, so much of the info isn't relevant for "regular" folks who will be staying in hotels and going on cruises. The backpackers/hostel folks often need things like a sleep sack or sleeping bag liner type thing, a towel, eating utensils etc. By the time they pack all that, they barely have room to take any clothes at all. I watched a video on You Tube once where a girl packed 2 shorts, 2 shirts, a sundress a pair of flip flops and some sneakers and that was it, LOL. Thankfully most of us don't need to pack quite that light for a few weeks in Europe or wherever! ;)

I have found that many "packing light" sites/blogs etc. are geared towards backpackers who are staying in hostels etc, so much of the info isn't relevant for "regular" folks who will be staying in hotels and going on cruises. The backpackers/hostel folks often need things like a sleep sack or sleeping bag liner type thing, a towel, eating utensils etc. By the time they pack all that, they barely have room to take any clothes at all. I watched a video on You Tube once where a girl packed 2 shorts, 2 shirts, a sundress a pair of flip flops and some sneakers and that was it, LOL. Thankfully most of us don't need to pack quite that light for a few weeks in Europe or wherever! ;)

hahahaha right. don't need a sleep sac for a cruise ship...

Don't need 14 pr of underwear or 14 bras etc either! With a fresh mani/pedi/facial/wax/etc then tinted moisturizer with sunblock goes a long way with a tube of mascara and a favorite lipgloss...

...AND if it's vacation with a special someone, nighties are optional ;)

We do carry on only.

We are not backpackers. We don't stay in hostels.

We are in our early 60's. We have done a great deal of business and personal travel-in many parts of the world.

We stay at five star hotels, we stay at family owned pensions. We look for value.

We have been on many cruises-Celebrity, Hal, Crystal, Princess, NCL, Carnival...Med, Aus/NZ, Carib, TA, etc

Now that we are retired we typically spend 5 months a year travelling. This year it was a two month trip to Europe and a three month trip to Asia and Australia.

So, perhaps we are not 'regular' people. But we still do carry on only.

Don't worry if you see us on a Celebrity cruise (our favourite cruise line at the moment). Our clothes will be clean, we will be well groomed, and we will smell nice. But we won't be wrestling with an oversize suitcase that we can hardly lift. One that we have filled to the absolute weight limit set by the airline because that is the max that we can bring!

Edited by iancal

We do carry on only.

We are not backpackers. We don't stay in hostels.

We are in our early 60's. We have done a great deal of business and personal travel-in many parts of the world.

We stay at five star hotels, we stay at family owned pensions. We look for value.

We have been on many cruises-Celebrity, Hal, Crystal, Princess, NCL, Carnival...Med, Aus/NZ, Carib, TA, etc

Now that we are retired we typically spend 5 months a year travelling. This year it was a two month trip to Europe and a three month trip to Asia and Australia.

So, perhaps we are not 'regular' people. But we still do carry on only.

Don't worry if you see us on a Celebrity cruise (our favourite cruise line at the moment). Our clothes will be clean, we will be well groomed, and we will smell nice. But we won't be wrestling with an oversize suitcase that we can hardly lift. One that we have filled to the absolute weight limit set by the airline because that is the max that we can bring!

THANKYOU!:D That is/will be us as well. Cheers!

Please tell me how your husband would pack for a 12 night British Isles cruise.

Really don't wan to check bags this July.

When we sail on main line cruises (HAL, RCL, Celebrity and Princess) my husband wears a sports jacket on our flights, along with a nice pair of slacks and dress shoes. That's his "go to" for the more formal nights and he is usually better dressed than most men in the dining room. If we are on one of the higher end cruise lines, he will usually bring a tuxedo, and then space is truly at a premium (not to mention the prices) but we adjust and use their onboard laundry facilities to bridge the gap.

That said - a pair of jeans, a pair of khakis, a couple of pairs of shorts, a couple of t-shirts, a couple of nice oxford shirts, a couple of polo shirts, and work out clothes. And, of course, underwear, hankies, socks, sneakers, sandals.

As I have mentioned to friends, other guests don't remember what you wore on a cruise, and you won't either once you get home. It's about the journey, not being a fashion statement, although we don't wear jeans in the dining room. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your July Cruise.

When we sail on main line cruises (HAL, RCL, Celebrity and Princess) my husband wears a sports jacket on our flights, along with a nice pair of slacks and dress shoes. That's his "go to" for the more formal nights and he is usually better dressed than most men in the dining room. If we are on one of the higher end cruise lines, he will usually bring a tuxedo, and then space is truly at a premium (not to mention the prices) but we adjust and use their onboard laundry facilities to bridge the gap.

That said - a pair of jeans, a pair of khakis, a couple of pairs of shorts, a couple of t-shirts, a couple of nice oxford shirts, a couple of polo shirts, and work out clothes. And, of course, underwear, hankies, socks, sneakers, sandals.

As I have mentioned to friends, other guests don't remember what you wore on a cruise, and you won't either once you get home. It's about the journey, not being a fashion statement, although we don't wear jeans in the dining room. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your July Cruise.

This is great info. I'm on the Reflection next week and I'll wear my suit on the plane per your advice!

My wife is annoyed by this however. She likes to be dressed very relaxed on the flight and now she feels she needs to step it up as I'll be suited up!! Haha.

We are also 'carry-on' people :) and enjoy the ease of traveling light.

Yes, we do formal night. Tux and all.

The only time we checked a suitcase was when we went to Australia but that was a 28 day trip. One for the two of us that held our cruise clothes. We stored it at the Marriott while we did our land portion with our carry-on.

After many many years of this we often wonder when we see others with huge suitcases what all they have in there? :eek:

Silk scarves are a great way to 'look' different while wearing the same outfit.

If you are going to try this, do invest in some dri-tec (or similar) clothing. Easy to wash out and dries in a flash.

• 2 months later...

OK

Just back from two glorious weeks on the Eclipse.

Was sooo glad to do just carry on--as we flew from the US to LHR.

At port I sent my bags through baggage to our cabin so I didn't have them at lunch. Flying with just carry ons was so much easier AND so much easier to unpack/repack.

I used a carry on from flylite.uk and a womens tote by Wallybags...

Packing List was as follows

On Plane:

Black White print pant

¾ LS Black knit Tee

Zip merino hoodie

Scarf

Black Toms

Undies/Bra

Wedding Rings/watch/earrings/bangle

Packed

2 bras

6 undies

3 pr SmartWool socks (for use with black track shoes)

2 Sleepwear

Bathing suit + 1 shirt/shorts for sauna/gym/coverup pool

4 long sleeve tops (2 white, 1 black, 1 blue)

3 short sleeve tops white/black/pink

2 pr jeans for touring and ship sea days

1 Soma day dress for smart/casual dinners (black/white)

1 black skirt (chicos) for dinners

2 tops for black skirt (for non formal dinners) (1 ss silver and 1 red knit tank w cardi/shawl twin set)

1 Black Chicos dress—Formal Nights

1 pashmina- for dressy/cool on ship

1 scarf for dress up/dinner beyond one worn on plane

Purple cardi/shawl (dress up or down)

1 pr new black sandals (for dinners)

Track shoes – w new Smart Feet insoles

1 navy rain jacket w hood

Visor/hat

Packable Umbrella

Jewelry- some fun earrings, strand of “pearls”

Toiletries:

Put shampoo and hair gel into IKEA bottles.

Prepack am/pm meds in travel boxes

Makeup pared down + eye makeup remover, moisturizer and tinted sunscreen

Sinus/Cold/Allergy med, Headache med, Antacid/Pepsid

Toothbrush/paste

Contacts

Flat iron and curling iron

Brush/hair bands/clips

Tablet and charger

Glasses & Sunglasses

Excursion handbag

Cell phone and charger

Wallet—credit cards, dollars, euros.

I used packing cubes and rolled things.

Since much of it was knits--they traveled well.

Did hand wash of lingerie and sent out 1 pair of jeans when Dh sent out a bag of laundry.