Is this a policy placing your tray outside the cabin?

Hello everyone

I was reading here that's someone said that it's a policy to "place your tray outside the cabin "and call room service so they pick up the trays and plates. Is that really a policy ? To be honest I don't know what to do with the tray and plates most of the time.

If I have a balcony I leave it on the balcony table but if I'm inside I leave it outside like I see the rest of the people doing. But according to royal, what should we really do? No info on TV about it not even in the compass.

Thanks everyone

Edited by mcatmcat

Hello everyone

I was reading here that's someone said that it's a policy to "place your tray outside the cabin "and call room service so they pick up the trays and plates. Is that really a policy ? To be honest I don't know what to do with the tray and plates most of the time.

If I have a balcony I leave it on the balcony table but if I'm inside I leave it outside like I see the rest of the people doing. But according to royal, what should we really do? No info on TV about it not even in the compass.

Thanks everyone

I never leave in hall. It's dangerous!!!!

I leave mine on the table in cabin. If the room steward doesn't take care of it, you need to complain

On Oasis people were TOLD to place their room service trays outside of their cabin door for prompt pick up.

From what we saw the pick up was not prompt. :rolleyes:

LuLu

They probably pick them up once they run out of plates. :D

They should be left in the cabin for pick-up. If you are in a hurry for it to be out of your way, call them to pick it up. As already mentioned, trays left outside the cabin are a hazard --not to mention gross.

On Oasis people were TOLD to place their room service trays outside of their cabin door for prompt pick up.

From what we saw the pick up was not prompt. :rolleyes:

LuLu

Yup same as the Adventure and I placed it out and it was always gone when I came back. There was never an issue of having them in the hall ways there is always enough room .

Someone has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on her hands. :eek:

Google rocks...took like 10 seconds to cut and paste...

Which only resulted from me researching to see if there WAS in fact an official answer to the question...

Edited by Anita Latte

Couldn't agree more. Ridiculous! Leave it on the desk, or coffee table, and cabin attendant will take care of it.

Yeah, thats it! lets create MORE work for an already overworked cabin attendant who has absolutely NOTHING to do with room service!

I find it quite disturbing that folks leave their empty trays out in the hall. How tacky, classless, and frankly, quite trailer park-ish.
Never have a problem leaving it in our stateroom. Cabin steward always removes it. If it's there the night before we retire it will be gone when they clean your room in the morning. If your have a tray in the room when you go to dinner its gone when you return. Pretty simple....K.O.:)

Never have a problem leaving it in our stateroom. Cabin steward always removes it. If it's there the night before we retire it will be gone when they clean your room in the morning. If your have a tray in the room when you go to dinner its gone when you return. Pretty simple....K.O.:)

I've never had a lot of luck getting him/her remove the trays that held the in cabin snack delivery. We don't do room service, takes to long

It just doesn't look nice when there are trays all over the hallway floors, glasses left in corners of elevators, on any ledge available, public bathrooms, pool area floors, etc. My opinion is, if you wouldn't make the mess at home, please don't do it on vacation. The post about wheel chairs and scooters is also very valid.

I usually leave it in my cabin however, on numerous occasions, the dishes would stay there way too long, in which case, I'd put them in the hallway. I'll admit, I'm pretty self-centered and it never occurred to me that doing so would impede progress (yeah, duh moment, sorry), especially those in wheelchairs, etc. I've had my AHA moment, apologize and won't be doing that again :(

I usually leave it in my cabin however, on numerous occasions, the dishes would stay there way too long, in which case, I'd put them in the hallway. I'll admit, I'm pretty self-centered and it never occurred to me that doing so would impede progress (yeah, duh moment, sorry), especially those in wheelchairs, etc. I've had my AHA moment, apologize and won't be doing that again :(

I'm in a wheelchair and never once have had trouble getting around the trays. The cleaning carts and the scooters and wheelchairs that are NOT supposed to be in the hallways present a much bigger and more dangerous problem than a tray or two.

Putting trays in the hallway is SOP in even the finest luxury hotels as far as I know. The problem lies with people not calling room service to pick up the trays and room service not actually picking them up in a timely matter.

Sure, cabin attendants will take care of them but it's more work for them and NOT their job. They have nothing to do with room service l

Edited by ryano

Some people who do a significant amount of travel and stay in hotels in various cities have gotten into the habit of putting their room service trays outside of their doors. In many hotels the instructions are even to do so.

I don't believe the width of the hallways on a cruise ship is of concern, as it relates to wheelchairs. If the corridor is so small, then the wheelchair would have a problem even if NO tray/dish was on the floor. Most cabin doors seem to have an angle of some sort where the tray can be left.

I don't believe the width of the hallways on a cruise ship is of concern, as it relates to wheelchairs. .

Only when people park their scooters and wheelchairs out there when they aren't supposed to can it become a problem. :) not to mention VERY dangerous in an emergency! I mentioned the cleaning carts but they are a necessity and thankfully only "in the way" twice a day for short periods of time. If the attendants are out there, they do a fine job in making sure we can get by them. Also thankful my chair is narrow so I can slide by said carts if no one is around. It will even fit through a regular non accessible cabin door.

Edited by ryano