Dry Dock Refit Details

cruiseduchess

Does this make it sound like the aft deck will only be available as a speciality restaurant for dinner and closed off for breakfast and lunch?

"Dining. The biggest change to dining will the addition of a new Asian speciality restaurant, Kibo, on the aft of Deck 9. The a la carte restaurant, open only for dinner, will be located in the outdoor space that's currently part of Windows Café. It will serve dishes from Japan, Vietnam, Thailand and Korea, accompanied by high-end sakes and other localized drinks, Pimentel said. He noted that the indoor portion of Windows will remain open for breakfast, lunch and dinner."

Edited by Riocca

Does this make it sound like the aft deck will only be available as a speciality restaurant for dinner and closed off for breakfast and lunch?

Yes it does and that is making me uneasy. If they do that they are closing off one of the most popular areas of the ship for the whole day unless you pay a la carte for Asian food in the evening. That would be a real pity. Now it's been said it's hard to imagine that area doubling up and being used for breakfast and lunch. The furnishing and decor makes it seem an exclusive space.

Phil

Yes it does and that is making me uneasy. If they do that they are closing off one of the most popular areas of the ship for the whole day unless you pay a la carte for Asian food in the evening. That would be a real pity. Now it's been said it's hard to imagine that area doubling up and being used for breakfast and lunch. The furnishing and decor makes it seem an exclusive space.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I've been trying to figure that out as well. It seems clear that the indoor part of Windows Cafe will remain open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I agree with you, that it's murky on what will happen with the outdoor area during the morning and afternoon. Would be great if it were made available - but that may prove to be difficult.

Hopefully, Bonnie is watching this thread, and will clarify for us.

Edited by Host Andy

I, like many others are concerned with the new use of the Sunset Bar and the possibly of it not being available to enjoy an outdoors breakfast, lunch, evening buffet, afternoon tea or pre-dinner drinks. The ships have no other similar outdoor space.

Maybe Azamara would like to clarify.

Also looks like the dreaded shower curtains are still a "feature" of the standard cabins.

I, like many others are concerned with the new use of the Sunset Bar and the possibly of it not being available to enjoy an outdoors breakfast, lunch, evening buffet, afternoon tea or pre-dinner drinks. The ships have no other similar outdoor space.

Maybe Azamara would like to clarify.

Also looks like the dreaded shower curtains are still a "feature" of the standard cabins.

The Cruise Critic article (which, although I may be prejudiced ;) is the best of the articles I have seen to far) includes this statement: "the line is expanding its pool grill to include a new outdoor dining room with new lighting, new canvases and a new beverage station that will be open for dinner." Also, for indoor bar lovers: the Looking Glass lounge will include "a new wine and tapas bar. The tapas, served buffet style, will be complimentary; in addition to complimentary wines that Azamara offers, the bar will offer a new selection of international wines by the glass. 'It's going to be reminiscent of a large, elegant living room,' Pimentel said. 'This will be a great place to go for wine lovers.'"

It sounds to me like they are planning to replace the functions of the Sunset Bar with these two new venues. This won't satisfy those who want to sip their drink while watching the wake, but maybe the Sunset Bar area will be available during the day. Also it's good to see that the tapas will be complimentary, unlike Celebrity's decision to charge for the food in their new GastroPub.

These different takes on what Larry said are getting more and more confusing. For instance the following paragraph from the USA Today article talks about the fusion restaurant as well as something called Chef's Grill which may or may not be the Asian eatery but the Chef's Grill will be no-charge, not mention of the Asian eateries's name of complimentary or charge and what about suite customers??

The new Asian eatery planned for each of the ships will offer a fusion of Thai, Japanese, Chinese and Korean cuisine. In the evening, the Chef's Grill on each of the vessels will become a no-charge, casual open-air dining option where passengers can listen to music or watch a movie on a projected screen.

Then their is the remodeled restaurant in the Looking Glass with wine bar, etc. Can't help be confused what is going to be where??

Bonnie, any chance of a direct comparison of what and where the new restaurants. Could be as many as 3 new or revised restaurants but, with different people reporting, the information is confusing at best.

Thanks,

The Cruise Critic article (which, although I may be prejudiced is the best of the articles I have seen to far) includes this statement: "the line is expanding its pool grill to include a new outdoor dining room with new lighting, new canvases and a new beverage station that will be open for dinner." Also, for indoor bar lovers: the Looking Glass lounge will include "a new wine and tapas bar. The tapas, served buffet style, will be complimentary; in addition to complimentary wines that Azamara offers, the bar will offer a new selection of international wines by the glass. 'It's going to be reminiscent of a large, elegant living room,' Pimentel said. 'This will be a great place to go for wine lovers.'"

It sounds to me like they are planning to replace the functions of the Sunset Bar with these two new venues. This won't satisfy those who want to sip their drink while watching the wake, but maybe the Sunset Bar area will be available during the day. Also it's good to see that the tapas will be complimentary, unlike Celebrity's decision to charge for the food in their new GastroPub.

The Pool Grill area is not fully outside and is no way similar to the Sunset Bar area.

It is enclosed on 3 sides, is roofed and is a busy through route into the Windows Cafe.

Also, by definition it is next to the pool which certainly does not provide the same ambience as the Sunset Bar.

Edited by chipbutty

Real visionary thinking to convert probably one of the most popular areas of the ship into an a la carte "pay" restaurant with limited appeal to the average Azamara passenger, which will be unusable if it is cold, unusable if it is hot and the ship is sailing and brollies furled up, unusable if is raining, but great if the ships remain in port, and in temperate dry climes, whereas the enhanced pool grill area will be under cover??

Seems a contradiction to be upscaling the product to compete with 5 and 6 star ships where speciality dining is inclusive, and now to introduce another pay restaurant on Azamara.

Cabin refurbishments are well overdue and the changes to the Looking Glass should be interesting and perhaps generate more passenger use.

Should feel excited by the changes, but rather more disappointed. Interested to see the reactions of others.

The updates look beautiful! Tapas and wine sound great. We are looking forward to our first Azamara cruise even more now! Only comments we have would be a preference for more counter space in the bathrooms in the sink area, and PLEASE... no dreaded shower curtains :-)

Thanks, Chris, for the interview with Larry - you've provided clarification. However, I'm still very disappointed to be losing the aft, outdoor dining space! We have met and shared a beverage or a meal with so many wonderful people out there, having a 180 degree, open-air view with comfortable seating and a ready staff was bliss.

I feel I'm being herded. Would Azamara prefer more guests in the MDR? An enhanced pool grill is still dining in loungers. Unless staff sets tables on the upper deck, as during White Nights? And Looking Glass is looking a bit crowded, with Connections moving up in order to make room for those new "gigantic spa suites." Sorry to be so down, guess I'll just need to wait til our next cruise for the enhanced experience : )

Great to finally have some news on the dry dock refurbishments from different angles.

What's good:

* The cabin renderings look fabulous with good use of textures, tones and materials to create an elegant, modern look. The revamped bathrooms also look great. I certainly look forward to seeing the real thing!

* The addition of a tapas bar (and free) in Looking Glass looks like a good addition. It's certainly sounding like a nice place for pre-dinner drinks with tapas.

* The upgrading of the WiFi system will hopefully lead to better connectivity and download speeds. I wonder if they will introduce new (cheaper) WiFi packages, particularly for unlimited use.

* The expansion of the Pool Grill area (presumably this is the area they refer to as the Chef's Grill) is no doubt good, but I can't help but feel this is a half-hearted attempt to compensate for the loss of the Sunset Bar to all but those dining in the Asian restaurant.

What's not so good:

* The addition of an Asian specialty restaurant is fine, but not at the expense of making the Sunset Bar off limits morning,noon and night (if that is true). I would definitely keep it as it is. One compromise solution would be to make the Asian restaurant only open three times a week, and leave it as is for the remainder of the days. Best of both worlds.

On the whole I am excited by what I see and can't wait till my Quest cruise in May next year :)

On another note, I agree with Host Andy that there is a major amount of work to do in two weeks, but I am sure they are planning accordingly. However, as soon as you start meddling with somewhat elderly plumbing who knows what might go wrong!

The stateroom enhancements look lovely and are well overdue.

Like others I would be hugely disappointed if the Sunset Bar area were unavailable for breakfast and lunch. I also question the practicality of the new speciality Asian restaurant. There are several months when it will be too chilly to eat outside. I for one have no intention of having my dinner with a blanket draped around my shoulders.

Having said that these changes will not prevent me from making further bookings.

And the sooner they announce an addition to the fleet the better. The Quest charter prevented me sailing Azamara this year at my favourite time to cruise around the med, early in the season.

A couple of points on Kibo (name of Pan Asian eatery). The first is that they can easily enclose it with a clear plastic covering when there is real weather or when the ship is in Northern Europe or British Isles. The second is that the new battle ground among cruise lines is specialty restaurants and prospective new cruisers see this as an amenity. I really don't believe cruise lines drive too much of a profit out of these restaurants, but they do believe that having them drives customer demand. I do feel badly for those who used that space and are losing it. I really like pure additions to ships and changes can be tough on loyal customers.

I'd like to see some menus and reviews before we decide whether we'll eat at Kibo. I really believe the tapas place, if done right, will be more popular, especially in an area where you can get some nice wines.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's comments on the announced renovations and you can be assured others in the company are reading them with interest as well. I point that out for those of you asking me to pass along your opinions.

A few of you have asked me to clarify and/or find out more information for this community. Frankly I must wait for announcements as well. This project has been kept on a strictly need to know basis, and continues to be.

I promise to post as soon as I hear anything, and hopefully USA Today won't scoop me every time! But if they do, so be it. I did hear that the online article they ran had >15 million impressions in the first hour! Today was a big day for our little line :) and our future is brighter than ever :D

Our next Azamara is 1 May 2016 B2B Dubai to Nice France - 24 days. This will be the second and third cruises for Quest post Dry Dock.

I understand the thoughts of those who dine regularly at night at the rear of Windows Café, but I totally support the addition of an Asian Speciality Restaurant. As I understand the early info, this area will still be available for breakfast and lunch use, but there is still a lot of detail to be provided by Azamara in coming months.

I love the new Tapas and Wine Bar concept, strongly approve of the enhanced Pool Deck dining - which is now extended to evenings. That area was fairly stale and sad looking not withstanding the fantastic officer BBQ's that were a regular feature of our cruising.

The number of dining options available for guests on Azamara will be a big plus when the upgrades are completed. Main dining room, 3 great speciality restaurants (I am grading the new Asian Restaurant based on the known excellence of Aqualina and Prime C - in my view the best food at sea - we have cruised Seabourn, Regent, Crystal, Celebrity), Windows Café, Pool Deck dining, Mosaic Café, room service dining - I can count 8 options, surely a first for small ship cruising. Well done Azamara.

Happy to see the upgrade of the cabins and suites which was overdue. We cruise in Club Continent Suite and the one downside was climbing into the bath for a shower.

I know change is not embraced easily by all, and Azamara (or any cruise line) has a tough job in planning their major changes. I can take the pluses and minuses, and reach a balanced outcome. The changes wont suit all, but I am over the moon with what I am reading. Roll on 1 May 2016.

Well done Larry and Azamara.

The Pool Grill area is not fully outside and is no way similar to the Sunset Bar area.

It is enclosed on 3 sides, is roofed and is a busy through route into the Windows Cafe.

Also, by definition it is next to the pool which certainly does not provide the same ambience as the Sunset Bar.

Totally agree that this area cannot be truly described as outdoor eating as its so enclosed and no amount of upgrading could make it a thing close to the Sunset area. Very dissaopinted by this decision

Totally agree that this area cannot be truly described as outdoor eating as its so enclosed and no amount of upgrading could make it a thing close to the Sunset area. Very dissaopinted by this decision

I couldn't agree more. To lose this area is very disappointing and the proposed enhancement to the grill, while very welcome can in no way compensate for taking the Sunset Bar area away!

For us, I think this will be a deal breaker.

We have recommended Azamara to many friends and family, and the one thing they all comment on, apart from the wonderful crew is the ability to sit outside in the evening with a glass of wine and some lovely food.

I hope Azamara rethinks this!

I'm with you. Prior to the formal announcement I had it in mind that the size of the Sunset Bar would be reduced a little and the fixed wooden stools removed to create a bit more table seating. It looks like the opposite will happen and worse still the Sunset Veranda will now be a restricted area. I've had some of my most memorable cruise views from there.:(

Phil