I lost my minors birth certificate

goberk

We are going on a family cruise tomorrow and I have lost my 14yr old daughters birth certificate but, me and my husband is traveling with her and we have all of our required documents.

What should we do??

It's plain and simple, you're not going on the cruise. Well, let me amend that---she won't be going on the cruise. Not only does the birth certificate prove country of citizenship, it also proves she's your child and you're not trying to kidnap her.

Why did you wait until now to get your documents together? I somewhat suspect a troll here, first post and all.

Is there a copy available somewhere, such as her school records? It's better than nothing but even though you and your husband have your documents she won't be allowed to board as other have stated.

I would be quickly making arrangements for your daughter to stay with her friend or grandma and grandpa while tearing the house apart trying to find the birth certificate. If you don't find the birth certificate, you daughter will have to stay home. BTW, once you find it, DO get your daughter a passport and keep it somewhere safe like your home safe or a safety deposit box.

As much as it would be unfortunate if it were me I would not leave my daughter behind (whatever the age) as it would be so saddening to leave a family member behind and go on a cruise.

I love cruising, don't get me wrong but I love my family more and wouldn't want to upset them.

As much as it would be unfortunate if it were me I would not leave my daughter behind (whatever the age) as it would be so saddening to leave a family member behind and go on a cruise.

I love cruising, don't get me wrong but I love my family more and wouldn't want to upset them.

While it would be disappointing for all I think she might be spending time with her friend. It would certainly be a touch lesson but the parent (the responsible one and the adult) made the mistake. Well, on second thought, maybe the parents shouldn't go. A good lesson for them to lose their money because they didn't get themselves together.

When each of my grandchildren were born I made my kids get them passports. Paid for it myself so they couldn't use the excuse about money.

Is it in the copier? School folder, somewhere else in the filing cabinet? Sport paperwork? The bag you were carrying when you signed up for soccer? Bag you used last time you traveled? Cat bed?

These are some of the places people have reported back finding their paperwork. Good Luck :):)

Edited by SadieN

Having travelled with minor dependents (with documents packed & shipped to new duty station... UmmHmm dummy mommy...)

Go to your daughter's school admin office.

Request a copy of her BC on file.

Even if the school is in Summer Recess, the administrative office is open.

Have your daughter check her personal paperwork, too. If she went recently to get a driving learners permit, she may have put the BC in that file. Also have her check in her medical folder, if she recently had inoc updates.

As others have advised, make alternate arrangements for your daughter to stay with Family or very trusted Family Friend. Please do _not_ let her stay home alone, whether or not she is a mature, responsible young woman.

May the Sun Shine upon your Quest for the hidden Birth Certificate...

***Not my rodeo. Not my bulls.***

Are you living in the county where she was born? If so, you can go to your county office building and get a certified copy right there and then. Look online to see what other i.d. you may need to show to get it.

You should have time to do that, as the county offices open early.

I agree with the others they are not going to permit your DD to board without a birth certificate. In these days of child abductions, how do you prove she is your child given you are taking her out of the country?

It's plain and simple, you're not going on the cruise. Well, let me amend that---she won't be going on the cruise. Not only does the birth certificate prove country of citizenship, it also proves she's your child and you're not trying to kidnap her.

Why did you wait until now to get your documents together? I somewhat suspect a troll here, first post and all.

I think you're right. "I lost my minor's birth certificate" is weird. Most would have said, kid, daughter, etc.

I keep checking back for an update, too. Think SadieN had the right idea, look where you just _know_ it won't be, and that's exactly where it will be.

Even _if_ this is Troll Food, it's good to eat a bit now and then. I know I've misplaced documents and sworn it was right where it wasn't... finding it right where is was when I was interrupted transferring it to where it wasn't. [emoji6]

Still wondering, after a good 30-years, how a packet of TCs ended up behind the cat bed in the company of a mangled MDID and several hair ties...

I keep checking back for an update, too. Think SadieN had the right idea, look where you just _know_ it won't be, and that's exactly where it will be.

Even _if_ this is Troll Food, it's good to eat a bit now and then. I know I've misplaced documents and sworn it was right where it wasn't... finding it right where is was when I was interrupted transferring it to where it wasn't. [emoji6]

Still wondering, after a good 30-years, how a packet of TCs ended up behind the cat bed in the company of a mangled MDID and several hair ties...

What is a MDID?

I'm guessing TC's is travelers checks?

Sail7Seas, Oops.... MDID: Military Dependents ID. The one ID you _never_ want to misplace... _ever_ [emoji5]️.

Yes! TCs are Travelers Cheques in this case.

Edited by Telynau

The one thing I would suggest to everyone suggesting she get a copy from the school -- that's not going to help unless the school had a certified copy with the appropriate seal (I don't think anyway).

The one thing I would suggest to everyone suggesting she get a copy from the school -- that's not going to help unless the school had a certified copy with the appropriate seal (I don't think anyway).

The DHS regulations say that one may use an original or copy of the birth certificate and numerous posters have stated that a faxed copy of a birth certificate saved the day. There is no requirement for a certified copy. In any event I would much rather show up at the pier with a copy than with nothing at all. (And FWIW I did present a photocopy of my birth certificate when I cruised with CCL and no one questioned it.)