Just got so aggravated I cancelled my cruise

As other posters have said, when you are getting nowhere with a customer service rep, call back. I just say "thank you" and then call later and speak to a new rep.

On a cruise that we took with two other couples, we just made our final payment and my daughter told us she had just gotten an additional discount of $100 or $200 (don't remember exact amount) for something (I don't recall what for) when she made her final payment.

I called RCCL and told the rep that I was not given the additional discount when I made my final payment earlier that day. The rep pulled up my reservation and credited the amount on my credit card.

On the same token, when we booked onboard for a future cruise, I asked the rep about a specific cruise. He insisted they do not have that itinerary and never have, despite my finding it in the brochure onboard. :confused::confused:

Needless to say, there will always be both competent and incompetent customer service reps in EVERY business. I always just call back if I feel they are not competent or being helpful.

Customer Service Reps are hit or miss for just about anything. The reason for that is call centers tend to have a high turnover in employment. When they get off the phone with an irate customer, they are probably thinking how great the job would be if it wasn't for the customer.

The booking system isn't as straight forward as we like to think it is. We get a snazzy UI on the website that mostly works (though sometimes it screws up bigtime), but they don't have it nearly that good, have limited access and have to escalate to supervisors or Resolutions for nearly any major issues.

One tiny bit of missing or incorrect data can result in drastically different fares. Not to mention that don't hang out on Cruise Critic to learn the minutia of the cruise line industry.

She did not cancel her cruise over $38. She cancelled her cruise because she was subjected to horrible customer service, and didn't want to stand for it anymore.

I applaud you for doing that. RCCL cheerleaders won't see it this way, but I certainly do. More like: RCCL lost a good customer over $38.

You, on the other hand, did the right thing. Sorry most people won't understand...but there are plenty of great ships/itineraries/cruise lines to choose from...so don't waste your money being loyal to one who doesn't provide you with at least decent customer service.

+1 People on this site always say - if you don't like it, don't go. Or if you don't like it, cruise on another line. This diamond member is putting her money where her mouth is and letting her dollars (well potential dollars, since it's just a deposit) speak for themselves.

SeaUs, the 5 days is because I receive the payment statement from her office, not the cruise lines. When I book our cruises, I will get a copy from the cruise lines via email then her office sends me a copy. I paid our upcoming cruise off recently then get an email our Set Sail pass is ready to print, however the Print Tab isn't highlighted and won't be two agents said until the actual final payment date comes, a month from now.

I'm always amazed when I read about all the problems people have when dealing with RCCL on the phone. In all the times I've called, either to book a new cruise or move a previously booked cruise to a new cruise, I've never been on hold longer than a few minutes; I've never had bad customer service; if I've not been able to do something with my reservation on-line, it's done for me over the phone immediately, etc. Am I lucky? Who knows.

I don't use a travel agent. I want full control over my bookings and don't want to go through a third party. When I deal directly with RCCL, I get my confirmations via email while I'm still on the phone with the customer service rep I'm speaking with.

Also, I never call the Miami offices instead choosing to deal directly with the Crown & Anchor offices in Eugene, Oregon.

I'm always amazed when I read about all the problems people have when dealing with RCCL on the phone. In all the times I've called, either to book a new cruise or move a previously booked cruise to a new cruise, I've never been on hold longer than a few minutes; I've never had bad customer service; if I've not been able to do something with my reservation on-line, it's done for me over the phone immediately, etc. Am I lucky? Who knows.

yeah, you're lucky.

I actually just called and spoke to a very good rep. Doesn't mean I will get her next time.

I have been lucky and have had no problems dealing with RCCL reps and I think RCCL is a excellent line, but I may have canceled if same thing happened to me. So many other cruise lines out there, would have sent letter to RCCL saying why I canceled.

SeaUs, the 5 days is because I receive the payment statement from her office, not the cruise lines. When I book our cruises, I will get a copy from the cruise lines via email then her office sends me a copy. I paid our upcoming cruise off recently then get an email our Set Sail pass is ready to print, however the Print Tab isn't highlighted and won't be two agents said until the actual final payment date comes, a month from now.

still should be faster since TA gets the invoice the second it's pd

There is just no way that I would deal with someone at the cruise line office. I let my Travel Agent do all that. It costs nothing and the TA knows all the "ins and outs" and they have someone by name at the cruise line that knows them and works with them.

Spent 1 hour and 52 minutes on phone with RC "customer service" Spoke to 4 different people. Got so aggravated I cancelled my cruise.

Got off Freedom yesterday. There was a price drop today, $38.00 so I called and got a lady who had no clue. First she told me I'd lose my onboard credit, which was from booking onboard. I told her that was wrong. She called her supervisor, but accidentally had me on a conference call. THAT WAS INTERESTING. She adjusted the price, but told me insurance went UP, because price went DOWN???? I said fine, because it was still a $20 difference. I get my booking confirmation. She removed the insurance, and the price went UP by $20(with insurance removed). Had to call back...blah, blah, blah. Anyway, she added cruise insurance back and told me it would be same original price. Oh, and SOMEHOW, she changed my cabin number from 9540 to 9542, but nobody can tell me how or why that happened.

I feel bad I have to tell my husband I cancelled. We are diamond members, and enjoyed the Freedom very much, but might be going back to Carnival or try another line.

THANKS for listening to the rant. My Monday am back to work is now 2 hours late, and worse than usual

Over $20-$38?

You just cancelled out your first sentence

No, I didn't. She didn't cancel the cruise over $38, she cancelled the cruise because she got fed up with bad customer service. I think I made that pretty clear.

And to those who say it's "cutting off your nose to spite your face"...it isn't. Cancel, rebook on another line, and feel better about it. That way, the company that gave you bad service isn't getting your money, you aren't out any money, and you're still getting a nice vacation. Sounds like a win win to me.

Spent 1 hour and 52 minutes on phone with RC "customer service" Spoke to 4 different people. Got so aggravated I cancelled my cruise.

Got off Freedom yesterday. There was a price drop today, $38.00 so I called and got a lady who had no clue. First she told me I'd lose my onboard credit, which was from booking onboard. I told her that was wrong. She called her supervisor, but accidentally had me on a conference call. THAT WAS INTERESTING. She adjusted the price, but told me insurance went UP, because price went DOWN???? I said fine, because it was still a $20 difference. I get my booking confirmation. She removed the insurance, and the price went UP by $20(with insurance removed). Had to call back...blah, blah, blah. Anyway, she added cruise insurance back and told me it would be same original price. Oh, and SOMEHOW, she changed my cabin number from 9540 to 9542, but nobody can tell me how or why that happened.

I feel bad I have to tell my husband I cancelled. We are diamond members, and enjoyed the Freedom very much, but might be going back to Carnival or try another line.

THANKS for listening to the rant. My Monday am back to work is now 2 hours late, and worse than usual

Gave them the complaint. She did offer to reinstate it at original price, original room with OBC. However, I told her I was too aggravated, had posted on Cruise critic negative comments, and I just wanted her to know. They spend so much money advertising, then they have a loyal customer and make me mad.

It probably means nothing to them, but I told her when they go over complaints, tell them my story, and that although I had a wonderful time on Freedom, they just pissed me off enough to cancel my cruise.

It is just my husband and I, occasionally my 20 yo son or our friends join us, so I may just try Princess for our next one. Thanks for listening to me complain. I feel better now, and really have to get to work.

So in the end 'who' suffers.....not the agent on the other end, only your husband and you, for not taking the cruise that you booked on the ship. The second person you spoke with tried to make 'it right' for you and you still did not like that....life is much too short for all this over $38.00.

I have never had a bad experience with customer service through Royal, was I always able to get what I wanted, no. But that is a different thing. I can't say they were ever rude or nasty, I sometimes feel they have different information than that I have seen....and sometimes, I just say "Thank you" and call back to get another representative.

But my tone on the phone is seeking help and I often/always have gotten it.

Sorry your experience was so sour.

And to those who say it's "cutting off your nose to spite your face"...it isn't.

That's all a matter of opinion. I think there is an element of "cutting off your nose to spite your face" here. The person was apparently happy with the cruise they had booked, until running into some issues with trying to get a $38 price drop. So, this one issue of customer service problems (which really was just about trying to get that extra $38), caused this customer to cancel the whole cruise.

Of course, if it makes the person happy, so be it, but it's a bad way (in my opinion) to go through life. I had a brother-in-law who used to put local restaurants on "the list" and refuse to go to them any more, if he had a bad customer service experience. Before long, he gave up on it, because his list had grown to the point that it was severely restricting his choices on having a meal out.

The point is, if you blackball a company every time you have a less than perfect customer service experience, you eventually will have few, if any, companies with which to do business. That's because customer service departments are staffed by people, and people are imperfect. You might catch someone who is new and doesn't know the ropes yet, is having a bad day, or just happens to be a sub-par customer service agent. Overreacting to that is hurting you more than the company.

Should it have been easier to get that $38 price drop? Sure. Was it a nightmarish experience worthy of cancelling your plans and blackballing the company? Well, the OP apparently felt it was, but it doesn't read that way to me (or to most of the others who've responded).

I have just got off the phone to Royal trying to book a cruise. The website gives me the price of £609 pp (cheapest inside guarantee) but I cannot book it as I need two staterooms so need to call. They give me a price of £815 pp! I explained that I could see the price online and what it was but needed to call them to book and I wanted the same price.

He proceeded to get online himself (took him a long time!) and said it still gave him the price he had given me.

I also had a price yesterday from a US Internet TA which when I went to book this morning had gone up by $600. I realise prices fluctuate but this is ridiculous. Our flights are all booked and I need to book the cruise but not at any price!

Any thoughts for where I can find the cheapest price US or UK??

Cheers

Pat

However, I told her I was too aggravated, had posted on Cruise critic negative comments, and I just wanted her to know. .

Dahling, at the time of the phone call you were mad for what you thought was a good reason, in that you were being ignored and now it would appear that you are being silly.

What on earth is CC going to do ?

Nothing at all.

You should ask CC to close the thread, and get on with life, its not worth it

Get your life back, my dear.

Be strong and put this behind you.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is caring. GO L Y N N

Any thoughts for where I can find the cheapest price US or UK??

Cheers

Pat

If, the cheaper price is still showing up online, why don't you just place a hold on 2 cabins, one at a time?

You could then either make your deposit online or call RCL and let them complete your booking. I usually call C&A when I need something.

The price should be the same, online or calling direct. Does the cheaper one include port charges, taxes and fees?

Edited by KS Sunflower

If, the cheaper price is still showing up online, why don't you just place a hold on 2 cabins, one at a time?

You could then either make your deposit online or call RCL and let them complete your booking. I usually call C&A when I need something.

The price should be the same, online or calling direct. Does the cheaper one include port charges, taxes and fees?

Thanks

Unfortunately I tried that and prices were different again but not the original price. I don't mind paying a little more than I originally thought but not that much more.

I'm glad you feel better but don't you think you cut off your nose to spite your face?

Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe. For sure, Royal customer service rep understands that at least for OP, she is taking a stand and her treatment resulted in a cancel booking. Secondly, I would guess, OP will tell this story many times with the potential that others do not book with Royal. Many times our 'moments of truth' have effects beyond just the specific decision by the OP.

Do the 'suits' at Royal get the info flowed upstream? My guess is no. Do they care, my guess is yes, but will they change, my guess is it depends.

To me the biggest issue is clarity of policy put out to the public and having operational staff well versed in that policy. Then, having operational managers with some discretion to make on the spot decisions when warranted.

Trust me, most executives would cave. They make rules while behind desks and expect front line employees to hold the line.

For the record, not sure I would have cancel, but that is life, each of us has our lines in the sand/limits as to straws on the camels back.

She did not cancel her cruise over $38. She cancelled her cruise because she was subjected to horrible customer service, and didn't want to stand for it anymore.

I applaud you for doing that. RCCL cheerleaders won't see it this way, but I certainly do. More like: RCCL lost a good customer over $38.

You, on the other hand, did the right thing. Sorry most people won't understand...but there are plenty of great ships/itineraries/cruise lines to choose from...so don't waste your money being loyal to one who doesn't provide you with at least decent customer service.

Well there's 3 sides to a story and we've only heard one side. Her choice to cancel the cruise no matter what the reason is. I won't be canceling mine [emoji3]