Officers Attending the Meet and Greet?

iflyrc5

AHOY SHIPMATES,

I'VE been to many meet n greets. Several yrs ago before the cutbacks began to be so noticeable the m n g s were truly to meet the people in person that you had been talking to on CC., BUT a certain group tried to use it as a forum to try to organize excursions and collect money for same. This was not nice and the staff became upset and with the operation. The more sensible cruisers did some "self policing" in the group but the damage was done. Then HAL set up a m n g on embarkation day in a cubby hole (computer room) that didnt have room for more than 15 people. Nobody attended because they were busy looking for their cabin,luggage, dir to life boat drill etc.

Finally the CCers got it back to the crows nest on 1st am at sea and it was well attended and SR officers started showing up. Unfortunately a few over zealous passengers tried to turn it into a "BITCHING" session.

Ive heard some of our group before the meeting talking about how we should use our mass to lean on staff for free drinks and a private party where we could lobby for CC perks. This made the event planner (who is the boss of the CD) very leary of doing too much for us. Now the policy change has arrived in writing..

I know many of the CAPTS and HD 's and have left early because I was embarassed

On our recent M&G we had about 40 people in the Crows Nest (Maasdam). The CD and Hotel Director showed up for a bit, said a few words and left (very nice of them to do so). No bitching or complaining from any of the CC members and I thought everything was a nice event.

I do agree that this is not the place to make private excursion plans nor to complain to the officers that do show up.

It was nice of HAL to make the arrangements and provide refreshments (and space) and I thank them for doing this.

It's very sad for me to hear of the few people who would ruin it for everyone else..:(

Can't understand those who leave their manners at home & discuss private tours or voice complaints while Officers are present!:(

It is so disrespectful & shameful!:(

While it can be interesting and informative, I have never understood the fascination rubbing shoulders with the captain, the cruise director, etc. While these people may act charming and exude warmth, I am sure there are many places they need to be or at least would rather be. If this sounds harsh I apologize. While a few may enjoy this time with passengers, I'm sure that many of them are very good at acting interested when hearing the same questions and comments for the hundredth or thousandth time. As a corporate wife for over 30 years I, too, became very good at looking very interested in attending dinners that held no interest for me whatsoever. When you ask the officers if they really want to attend these functions, do you think they're going to tell you they don't?

I would rather spend the time getting to know my fellow passengers with whom I might develop a true relationship.

It's not harsh. It's reality. To suggest that they enjoy this I think is a bit of a stretch. Sure, some maybe do, but I bet most don't. On the Veendam in May the senior officers were not friendly except for the beverage manager. The cd was exuding friendliness in front of crowds but get her in a small group and she wouldn't give you the time of day. While I do enjoy some parties it because I like to mix with my fellow cruisers, not because I want to meet the senior officers.

It's very sad for me to hear of the few people who would ruin it for everyone else..:(

Can't understand those who leave their manners at home & discuss private tours or voice complaints while Officers are present!:(

It is so disrespectful & shameful!:(

I'm not sure how this "ruins" it for others. Some people were raised by wolves. There is nothing you can do to change that. As long as you're not displaying that type of behaviour there is nothing you can do. Equally bad are people that arrange shorex in front of the senior officers.

Edited by cruz chic

It's not harsh. It's reality. To suggest that they enjoy this I think is a bit of a stretch. Sure, some maybe do, but I bet most don't. On the Veendam in May the senior officers were not friendly except for the beverage manager. The cd was exuding friendliness in front of crowds but get her in a small group and she wouldn't give you the time of day. While I do enjoy some parties it because I like to mix with my fellow cruisers, not because I want to meet the senior officers.

I agree with this in several respects.

Mixing with the pax may, in the past, have been considered a part of the job. Maybe it was even mentioned in the employment contracts. (I don't think many do this just for the hell of it.) Many pax see it as part of the job and expect it to be done and done well.

Now, things seems to be changing, with the officers perhaps putting their collective feet down and asking for out of the pax interface.

People do have different personalities and some will no doubt be the life of the party and some won't. So, I can see that some Officers do these social things well and are good sports about it, others do not. It looks as if the latter group are being heard and listened to.

Edited by SilvertoGold

We were on the Westerdam for 20 days (April 11 - May 1st, 2015) and had two meet and greets. We had a slew of officers, Executive Chef, HD, CD, Captain, Guest Relations, Cellar Master, the list just went on.

I was furiously writing names to try to get everyone a thank you card.

Our Captain was greeted with cheers (we were the Sail a Way Gang after all and he is the Sail a Way hero).

We were thrilled to have them there and it added to the occasion.

It is also possible that this is going to vary by ship and the ship's officers on board. Time will tell

I read the whole thread for this cruise and was amazed at the outstanding Captain, HM, etc.

I said at the time: CLONE this Captain. If HAL did, it would reenter the ranks of a "premium " cruise line, in my personal opinion.

HAL is soooooo inconsistent. Maybe the new idea of much less officer interface with the pax will be a fleet-wide, maybe not.

I read the whole thread for this cruise and was amazed at the outstanding Captain, HM, etc.

I said at the time: CLONE this Captain. If HAL did, it would reenter the ranks of a "premium " cruise line, in my personal opinion.

HAL is soooooo inconsistent. Maybe the new idea of much less officer interface with the pax will be a fleet-wide, maybe not.

They were outstanding and I said so on my surveys :)

When they came to the second meet and greet it was very obvious they were having fun as they joked with the children, posed for pics, etc.

Every time I saw the Captain or any of them, they always asked, "were there enough toots when we left port".

I truly believe that enthusiasm for this stuff comes from the top down and I don't think the smiles we saw were frozen smiles. They seemed to truly enjoy themselves. I don't think a Cellar Master offers to do a wine a tasting (his idea, not mine) for a roll call unless they like the group and want to interface with them.

We had a lot of fun with them and I agree, I do wish they could clone our Captain. He was wonderful. :)

If the standard for Senior Officer vs. guest interaction becomes: gee, I would rather not. That becomes an issue for those of us who have some HAL nautical miles under our keel, at least in my opinion..

I don't have any desire to become a "buddy" to any Senior Official.

But, I do expect to be recognized as a loyal HAL cruise guest. Social events with the vessel's Senior Officers send the message to me that my patronage and loyalty are much appreciated.

I'm not sure how this "ruins" it for others. Some people were raised by wolves. There is nothing you can do to change that. As long as you're not displaying that type of behaviour there is nothing you can do. Equally bad are people that arrange shorex in front of the senior officers.

Bolding is mine.. If you read my post, which you quoted, I also said those who arrange private tours (Shorex) when Officers are present, are disrespectful!

It ruins it for others, if the Cruise Lines eventually decide that enough is enough & will not offer a place for Cruise Critic Psgrs. to have a Meet & Greet..

IMO there are many things an organizer can do to change peoples attitude & one is to tell them outright that Private Tours should not be discussed & complaints should not be aired at the CC "Meet & Greet" !

Edited by serendipity1499

Bolding is mine.. If you read my post, which you quoted, I also said those who arrange private tours (Shorex) when Officers are present, are disrespectful!

It ruins it for others, if the Cruise Lines eventually decide that enough is enough & will not offer a place for Cruise Critic Psgrs. to have a Meet & Greet..

IMO there are many things an organizer can do to change peoples attitude & one is to tell them outright that Private Tours should not be discussed & complaints should not be aired at the CC "Meet & Greet" !

How would they stop people from meeting:confused:? I never said anything about you not saying about the shorex.

It's not anyone's duty to correct bad behaviour of clods. If you want to take that on its up to you. Some people are beyond help. I learned that after being abused the last several years of working.

Edited by cruz chic

I totally agree Betty.

How would they stop people from meeting:confused:? I never said anything about you not saying about the shorex.

It's not anyone's duty to correct bad behaviour of clods. If you want to take that on its up to you. Some people are beyond help. I learned that after being abused the last several years of working.

You are right, but there are times when it's good to try to stop it.

I only encountered it once. On the N. A. and the HD was staying and mingling. One of the roll call members started griping (loudly). I jumped in and steeredthe HD away and suggested to the roll call member that this was not the time nor the place and they could most likely find a more appropriate time to discuss the issues.

I didn't have any backlash from it. Some might say I was wrong to do it, I don't know. I was the M & G organizer and I didn't feel like writing apology notes instead of thank you notes.

I do appreciate that HAL reserves a spot for us to meet and hope it continues.

I totally agree Betty.

I only encountered it once. On the N. A. and the HD was staying and mingling. One of the roll call members started griping (loudly). I jumped in and steeredthe HD away and suggested to the roll call member that this was not the time nor the place and they could most likely find a more appropriate time to discuss the issues.

I didn't have any backlash from it. Some might say I was wrong to do it, I don't know. I was the M & G organizer and I didn't feel like writing apology notes instead of thank you notes.

If you want to apologize for others behaviour thats certainly your right. That just enables the person to carry on their bad behaviour. If they fell on their face and got hurt they might change. This way there is no reason to change.

Hal can't stop anyone from meeting in a lounge etc. I do not care if officers are there. I'd rather meet with fellow cruisers than officers any day. I just don't care to rub shoulders with senior officers. I know people really find that more important. I'm not one of them.

Edited by cruz chic

If the standard for Senior Officer vs. guest interaction becomes: gee, I would rather not. That becomes an issue for those of us who have some HAL nautical miles under our keel, at least in my opinion..

I don't have any desire to become a "buddy" to any Senior Official.

But, I do expect to be recognized as a loyal HAL cruise guest. Social events with the vessel's Senior Officers send the message to me that my patronage and loyalty are much appreciated.

As a fellow HAL Mariner with way over 5 star level just in days alone, I have to say that this is and excellent post, although I imagine a lot would disagree.

We are often the high Mariners on the ships and I have actually questioned whether some officers just don't like high Mariners or the whole Mariner idea.

I totally agree Betty.

Exactly Jacqui! As the organizer of the Meet & Greet you had every right & IMO obligated to try to stop it, as I would too! I look forward to the M & G's & as an organizer of several I would be mortified if someone in our group began to complain or discussed private tours while an Officer was present..IMO it reflects on me too.. I would rather write Thank you notes to HAL Officers than offer an apology..

If you want to apologize for others behaviour thats certainly your right. That just enables the person to carry on their bad behaviour. If they fell on their face and got hurt they might change. This way there is no reason to change.

Hal can't stop anyone from meeting in a lounge etc. I do not care if officers are there. I'd rather meet with fellow cruisers than officers any day. I just don't care to rub shoulders with senior officers. I know people really find that more important. I'm not one of them.

Of course no one can stop any group from meeting, but we appreciate the fact that HAL & other Cruise lines offers to block off an area for our M & G's & often provides refreshments..

Just because you are not interested in having Officers present, others would disagree.. IMO it is nice to have the Officers come to introduce themselves to our groups... Years ago one M & G group I organized, were especially pleased when The HD had a special luncheon for us on a sea day & the Captain arranged to have our group go on a Behind the Scenes tour which included the Bridge gratis.. We can show our appreciation by behaving in a dignified manner..

If several people discard their manners, it can reflect on the entire group..

I'm baffled at the idea that 10% of the passengers should expect to get a party with special access to senior officers, or even special privileges, just because they belong to CC. We're not even people who book as a group. Just individual cruisers.

And if the M&Gs include people who think it's the perfect time to hassle senior officers, or people who blatantly arrange private tours in front of senior officers, well, yeah, why should HAL keep doing it?

It's also possible that in these cost cutting times the senior officers have less free time available to mingle with passengers. The best use of limited free time probably isn't going to be a random group that potentially includes people making a special effort to prove they were raised by wolves.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

I'm baffled at the idea that 10% of the passengers should expect to get a party with special access to senior officers, or even special privileges, just because they belong to CC. We're not even people who book as a group. Just individual cruisers.

And if the M&Gs include people who think it's the perfect time to hassle senior officers, or people who blatantly arrange private tours in front of senior officers, well, yeah, why should HAL keep doing it?

It's also possible that in these cost cutting times the senior officers have less free time available to mingle with passengers. The best use of limited free time probably isn't going to be a random group that potentially includes people making a special effort to prove they were raised by wolves.

Maybe this is another reason that officers don't want to attend. People expecting they should get some kind of special treatment/perks because they belong to cc.

Edited by cruz chic

In the past when I setup the meet and greet with HALs Onboard Event Services Coordinator they provided me with a list of the officers so that I could send out personal invitations to invite them to the event.

I sent an email update this morning to the HAL "Onboard Event Services Coordinator" letting her know that our Roll Call numbers are now over 140 people for our upcoming 35 day Voyage of the Vikings. This is the person that coordinates with the ship to arrange for our Meet and Greet. I requested the names of the officers for our cruise so that I could send them personal invitations to the Meet and Greet. In the past we have normally had the beverage manager and CD and often have had the Hotel manager and the Captain when we had large groups like this one. Below is the response I received:

We have currently changed our policy regarding the meet and greet onboard Holland America Line ship:

We will no longer be requesting ship staff attendance for the meet and greets.

The purpose of a meet & greet is for cruisers to meet each other. Unfortunately the ships staff will not be able to attend, however they are frequently out and about where you can meet them. There is “Ask the Captain” event on every cruise, where questions can be asked and answered.

This is disappointing as our cruise critic roll call represents more than 10% of the total passengers on the ship.

We had almost off the officers come to the Meet and Greet on our 30 day South Pacific cruise this past Feb. Just wondering what others have experienced at the recent HAL Meet and Greet events

I received the same response 2 days ago for our M&G in July

We are 4-stars ... as long as HAL continues to show their appreciation of our patronage by giving us free laundry & PG discounts, etc, we're good ... meeting officers at special events & M&Gs is great, but not super important. On just about every cruise we've been on, on different lines, we've had very good interactions & conversations with many officers all over the ship.

We are 4-stars ... as long as HAL continues to show their appreciation of our patronage by giving us free laundry & PG discounts, etc, we're good ... meeting officers at special events & M&Gs is great, but not super important. On just about every cruise we've been on, on different lines, we've had very good interactions & conversations with many officers all over the ship.

I agree, but it would have been nice if HAL publically announced it. I have been in constant contact with my coordinator. She did not mention it until I asked for the officer names.

Even though we are 2 cruises away from our 4 star we do enjoy HAL and this won't make a difference. Looking forward to the free laundry

seems like all the onboard staff is talking about many upcoming changes mainly due to HAL's NEW administration within the HAL group ( Holland, Princess, Seabourne)

putting someone in charge of HAL that has absolutely no prior cruise company managerial experience doesn't sound too good to me.. I guess it's starting

seems like all the onboard staff is talking about many upcoming changes mainly due to HAL's NEW administration within the HAL group ( Holland, Princess, Seabourne)

putting someone in charge of HAL that has absolutely no prior cruise company managerial experience doesn't sound too good to me.. I guess it's starting

Let's hope that they don't change the cruise experience: service and food quality

WOW! You mean new management might get HAL out of the mid-20th Century? In much the way that our parents gave up horse and buggies perhaps it is time for HAL to modernize their thinking. Come to think of it, on our longer HAL cruises we suspect that some of the passengers were still using horse and buggies :)

Hank

I agree that Holland America can show me their gratitude and appreciation by giving me free laundry, discounts on my lattes, priority boarding, etc.

Mandating that officers must mingle and chat with me does not secure my loyalty. I don't need to hobnob with captains, cruise directors and hotel directors to add to my cruise enjoyment or to add color to my cruise tales when sharing them with others.

That "someone" now in charge is exactly what this line needs.

They need new blood, and he brings a decidedly consumer-focused background to HAL.

I attended a M&G during a cruise earlier this year on a ship that will remain unnamed.

The organizers invited the officers and they did attend. However, as soon as they arrived the organizers proceeded to attack each one for a variety of complaints from not enough sauerkraut on the Reuben to shortened port stops and what have you.

The Captain tried to say a few words and they interrupted him. I couldn't believe it.

I just walked away in disgust.

If this is what the officers may think they may encounter, I don't blame HAL for changing their policy.

I have run a number of M&Gs and always invited the officers and made sure they were welcome. I would really be upset if one that I ran took that turn.

Just my two cents.

Terru

I have only attended two meet and greets, on both occasions officers showed up. I would not say they were attacked, but it was complaint after complaint. I wonder why they even bother showing up. I don't even bother going anymore as I find it embarrassing.