How to carry $?

bookworm61

I'm dating myself, but I haven't been to Europe since the early '80s for a semester abroad and I then carried traveler's checks, which I think are a thing of the past. How does one carry $ these days to Europe? Is there some debit card version of travelers checks now that makes sense? Or is cash (Euros) the way to go? I'm not overly concerned about exchange charges (my bank won't up charge me at home), but more concerned about security of our money and having a sufficient amount of cash. How much will we need cash vs. credit cards or debit cards?

Thank you,

From an old timer!

As for carrying cash on your person, I carry a small amount of walking around money in an easily accessible location with larger amounts of cash, and credit and debit cards in a money belt.

For credit cards, I carry a couple chip & pin cards...chip & signature cards would be my second choice. For obtaining cash from ATMs, I carry two debit cards. The financial institutions whose cards I use do not charge foreign exchange conversion fees and reimburse for ATM fees, if any.

The above has served me well on a number of European trips...

Lew

I don't believe anyone here can tell you how much you will need in cash because no one but you really knows your spending habits.

I take credit cards that have no foreign transaction fee and my bank debit card. I hit local ATMs as I need cash. Some times I know what I'll need ... for instance I have booked private shore excursions that I have to pay for in cash. Other times I don't have a clue. For instance, we'll be in Istanbul for one day and the currency there is Turkish Lira. I know I'll need cash for the tram and probably for lunch so will probably just withdraw a minimum amount to cover those small expenses.

I'm from Uk and travel to Europe all the time

We almost never carry cash, except for a few euro's pocket money.

everywhere uses credit cards, and if we do need the local currency (not all Europe uses euro's) we use the bank cash points (with debit card) which are everywhere

We recently visited Sweden and Denmark (not on a cruise) and never used the local currency only credit cards ( then pay off as soon as get home- we don't pay interest)

here's an actual event I witnessed a few years back on a train passing through Nice station in France on the way to Monaco.

An American couple were getting on the train with their bags, husband on first with the main suitcases, wife following behind with smaller bags, they were getting on just as the doors were closing, when the woman started calling out loudly. She was having her bag snatched as the doors were closing and the girl taking the bag was escaping off the train.

Listening to their conversation as the train sped away. Half of their holiday money in $$ had been taken, plus everything else in her hand bag. The Husband had the other half of the money.

(They will target couples in this way as they know one of the couple cannot give chase as the other is on the train that is leaving.)

Its a lot safer to only take out what is required from debit points at banks and almost always use your credit cards. There is no need to carry cash

We get a couple hundred euros from our bank to start out and use ATMs for cash as we need it. ATMs are prevalent in European cities. We pay with a credit card for hotels and larger purchases. We have traveled many times to Europe both on land and by cruises and never had any bad experiences. I carry a "normal" cross body purse and my husband carries his wallet in his front pocket, not his hip pocket.

Carry your cash and cards on your person, not in a bag.

Carrying a wallet in a front pocket is risky. My husband nearly lost his on the subway in Athens when he started to remove his hand from the pocket when someone asked him the time. He realized just in time to slap at the hand that was about to enter his pocket. You can lose concentration for a split second and that may be all that it takes. Besides a purse or a hand in a front pocket are telling thieves where the money is.

And always have at least two debit cards and two credit cards. Stuff happens. We misplaced one card on our last trip and cancelled it in case it had been lost. We had two more with us we could use.

I mostly utilize ATMs for cash and use my credit card (no foreign transaction fee from Capital One) when it is accepted, for the more expensive purchases like hotel rooms.

I do not carry much cash around with me day to day. If I have extra for some reason, I leave it in the safe, along with at least one credit card as a fall-back option.

I agree with being careful with any cash or cards you carry. A hidden pocket, money belt, neck pouch -- all can work. Pickpockets in Europe are skilled at accessing exterior pockets and zipped bags. Best thing is to be situationally aware but not paranoid.

I'm dating myself, but I haven't been to Europe since the early '80s ....I'm not overly concerned about exchange charges.... more concerned about security of our money and having a sufficient amount of cash. How much will we need cash vs. credit cards or debit cards?

ATM's are everywhere in Europe, so there is no need to carry an entire vacation's worth of cash with you at any given time. Just stop at ATM's as need be.

As for cash vs. credit cards, major stores and restaurants generally accept credit cards, although our experience has been that in Europe Visa/MC are more widely accepted than AmEx. For cabs, street vendors, and small purchases (a couple of coffees, small souvenirs, inexpensive lunch etc.) you may need cash. And if you have independent tours arranged your tour operator/guide may prefer cash, but they should make you aware of that when you book so you can be prepared.

We have 2 CCs that make no charges for foreign transactions, so use them. We go to the Eurozone very frequently, so always have a supply of Euros.

The last cruise we did was to the Baltic andwedidn't change any money at all as everywhere accepted CC.

We wear clothing that has zippered pockets and only keep passports, cash and credit cards on our person. I have a very light sling bag good for a rain jacket, umbrella and water bottle; DH has a Rick Steves shoulder/cross body bag that is used similarly.

Situation awareness is the key. I also say, "Pack like you'll never see it again." I do not bring heirloom jewelry, sentimental items of clothing, etc. Our expensive stuff is an inexpensive netbook, one good camera and 2 small pocket cameras. If we loose one camera we have backups.

As others have said, not much cash at any one time as local currency is easily available. Use the ATMs outside of banks. If you are not solo, do it together, have one person watch what's going on around you as much as possible. Secure your cash quickly. I keep my wallet on a tether as I have had it knocked out of my hand, maybe inadvertently, maybe not... I use a safety pin inside the lip of the wallet connecting a light elastic cord pinned into my pants waistband. Someone could break it without too much force if they really wanted to but they'd have to make the extra effort.

Go have a fabulous time! m--

Edited by RMLincoln

I would be sure you have an ATM card so you can withdraw local currency. I would also bring USA currency with you.

Before you leave home call the bank(s) for your ATM and Credit Card companies to advise them of your vacation plans.

When in port do not take all of your money or all of your cards with you. Keep them in your safe. I would take one credit card and one atm card into port and some cash. In almost all ports I would use a travel wallet that slips under your shirt.

Keith

Check with your bank to find out how much cash can be withdrawn from ATM per day in foreign locales. My bank limits it to $300 USD.

Many banks will let you temporarily raise that limit when traveling. You can call them and find out if it's possible.

It's not a big deal to have a low limit if you are doing things on your own. Some folks seem to have crazy expensive private tours to pay for and need to make bigger withdrawals over several days....

I carry a moneybelt. Purchased it off Amazon.com. I carry my cellphone, credit cards and cash in the belt. The belt has two compartments so I carry my phone in one and cash and credit card in the other. The money belt is a bit bulky under my clothing but I don't care.

Most ATMs have a limit on how much you can take out even if your bank has a higher limit. Sometimes if you try for too much your transaction will be cancelled with no explanation. It is always worth trying a second time for a lesser amount.

We take all these good suggestions one step further. DH and I have separate ATM accounts at separate banks, both of which have no ATM fees. That way, worst case scenario, if one card were stolen, we'd still have access to cash via the other card. We also have two credit cards without foreign transaction fees just in case. . .so far, so good!!

Thanks, these are great suggestions. I had thought we would need to bring a lot of cash, but I now think otherwise. I have already gotten the neck style money belts? Does any one use those? I used one for travel in Europe 30+ years ago. The new one is lighter and has several zip compartments. My only concern is that my iPhone is my camera and I wonder if I will be putting it as risk that way? But I don't want to not take pix!!

Thanks, these are great suggestions. I had thought we would need to bring a lot of cash, but I now think otherwise. I have already gotten the neck style money belts? Does any one use those? I used one for travel in Europe 30+ years ago. The new one is lighter and has several zip compartments. My only concern is that my iPhone is my camera and I wonder if I will be putting it as risk that way? But I don't want to not take pix!!

My IPhone is my camera as well, and I keep it handy in my cross body purse and use it often. I can't imagine carrying it around in a money belt or neck pouch. Honestly, I think that well-meaning posters want to warn tourists who are not used to traveling in Europe, and concern is good, but just use common sense. Just don't leave it sitting on a cafe table. We are in Rome right now and just today, we rode the very crowded metro and walked through huge crowds in several tourist sites and never felt threatened or unsafe in the slightest. We have been all over Europe and while we are concerned, careful and aware, we are not going to forgo taking pictures or wearing wedding rings, etc, because of fear about pickpockets.

Edited by Chloe1500

Using caution is great but there is absolutely no reason to go overboard. I hate the feeling of a money belt personally. I have traveled to Europe 5 times using a regular cross-body purse with a normal wallet. I keep it in front of me with my hand holding it on public transportation. I only carry the money I will need on that particular day.

If you walk with purpose and look like you know where you are going no one will bother you. If you do your planning before and don't pull out maps in stations or while riding public transportation then you will be much safer.

Guys, let me tell you one thing.

Pickpockets immediately notice moneybelts, fannypacks etc...and they are practically an invitation that say " please rob me, the money and documents are just here". They know the tricks to get to

I travel the World, and get quite thorough Security briefings in my company as we go to places that are not so tourist friendly, to say the least.

During those courses, they warn us NOT to wear these fanny packs, moneybelts etc etc. We all carry our wallet in our front pocket, wearing throusers where it is difficult to remove the walllet without some effort. If necessary, wrap elastic bands around the wallet. Pickpockets will normally never go for wallets protected like that.

Passports are kept in a hotel safe. Copies in wallet.

Dummy wallet with expired cards and some small bills in back pocket if pickpockets target you anyhow.

But really, Europe is at least as safe as the USA, and 10 times less likely to get shot, stabbed or killed in a violent way.

We routinely take long driving trips (usually about 2 months) in Europe. This means spending lots of Euros on tolls, gas (or diesel), food, etc. We rely totally on ATM cards and carry 3 different cards draws on accounts of 3 different banks. This gives us backups and also allows us to withdraw larger amounts. As to a further back-up we carry multiple credit cards which could be used to obtain cash advances in an emergency. Travelers Checks are obsolete and are not accepted at most places (other then on cruise ships). Cash is always fine but we prefer not to carry large amounts.

And by the way, one can get both ATM and Credit cards that do not charge foreign exchange fees (all ATMs do have a 1% international transaction fee built into the exchange rate).

But here is a VERY IMPORTANT message. Before you leave home notify all of your ATM issuing banks and credit card companies of your upcoming trip and itinerary. This helps prevent any security issues where you might find your card "cut off" because of unusual usage patterns.

Hank

Many good suggestions here.

My regular purse is a small crossbody that has a zippered side pocket with built-in slots for cards, meaning I don't need to carry a wallet. I keep that part toward my body, and my important cards (debit/ATM/credit) are further secured by being in a separate inside zippered pocket. I felt really secure with this during our recent 6 week trip, since it would have been REALLY difficult to access anything besides my library card and AAA card. We carry less than 200 euros at a time so even if we lost all our cash it would not be a big deal. It looks natural when I'm carrying it and although I tend to be paranoid, I've been happy with this solution.

I am glad I live in such a 'dangerous' place as Europe after seeing all the shootings and atrocities that have happened in Texas lately.

You're statement is entirely uncalled for. No country is devoid of the kind of violence you referenced and saw fit to interject into this conversation.

We're discussing cash management and safe traveling. Let's stay on topic!

Lew