Urgent Med Care or Emergency -- What Happens?

Chunder Worthy

If someone on a Princess ship has an accident which causes a,

1. nasty cut which obviously would require a few stitches; or

2. fall resulting in a possible (but uncertain) broken or badly sprained limb,

for each scenario, what happens?

In other words, is there a medical station that takes walk-ins (obviously for scenario 1), is there a response mechanism in place where emergency personnel arrive on the scene and take you somewhere for Xrays or treatment (for scenario 2). After reading about the person who fell from the balcony I'm just wondering how much care the ship is prepared to render and by how many people in a "normal" mishap situation, short of evacuating somebody.

In other words, is there a medical station that takes walk-ins (obviously for scenario 1), is there a response mechanism in place where emergency personnel arrive on the scene and take you somewhere for Xrays or treatment (for scenario 2). After reading about the person who fell from the balcony I'm just wondering how much care the ship is prepared to render and by how many people in a "normal" mishap situation, short of evacuating somebody.

Yes the ships medical center is equipped to handle pretty much everything. The Dr. can stitch a bad gash etc .

If its severe enough to disembark them then they will stabilize them the best they can until port or a helicopter evacuation. They have x-ray equip and communication capabilities as well with shore side doctors.

Walk in to the medical centre during opening hours. Phone 911 for more serious stuff 24/7.

They treat you and add it to your bill. You pay it with your credit card. You claim it on your insurance less any excess amount. Not sure what happens if you are evacuated by air for thousands of dollars but I expect the cruise line checks with your insurers you have listed on your details prior to sailing to make sure the doctors facility will be paid for by your insurers.

Regards John

You will be required to pay for medical services then deal with your insurance company when you get home. Better have travel insurance of some sort.

Are you saying they won't treat you if you don't have insurance?

What difference does it make? The treatment is necessary regardless. :confused:

Are you saying they won't treat you if you don't have insurance?

What difference does it make? The treatment is necessary regardless. :confused:

Why don't you read it again. I said you will be expected to pay for the services on board and then you can deal with your insurance company when you get home. Just have good TRAVEL insurance.

The ship doesn't ask or care if you have insurance. They will treat you and add it to your shipboard account, which then goes on your credit card. If you are not using a card, or do not have one, it will be up to you to figure out how to pay it. If you have to be evacuated, that is also up to you, unless you are in range of US Coast guard, who will evacuate without charge. When you get home, you submit the charges to your insurance company, which are always primary, and the portion they deny you submit to the travel insurance company that you used. EM

In severe cases, they will re-route the ship to the closest port with medical facilities.

For example, last fall, someone on the Crown Princess needed an emergency appendectomy. The ship was in the middle of 8 sea days between Papeete and LA. They turned the ship around and sailed to the Marquesas where the patient was removed from the ship and flown to Papeete for surgery. Th ship was 30+ hours late getting to LA.

The ship doesn't ask or care if you have insurance. They will treat you and add it to your shipboard account, which then goes on your credit card. If you are not using a card, or do not have one, it will be up to you to figure out how to pay it. If you have to be evacuated, that is also up to you, unless you are in range of US Coast guard, who will evacuate without charge. When you get home, you submit the charges to your insurance company, which are always primary, and the portion they deny you submit to the travel insurance company that you used. EM

Perfect!

Yes they will treat you regardless.

There are signs all over the ship to dial 911 in case of emergency. The medical clinic onboard is open about 4 hours each day for walk-ins, but they are available on-call 24 hours a day. They are equipped to handle all ranges of emergencies. If they determine that the pax requires escalated medical attention, they will call for a medical Evac by helicopter, full-steam-ahead race to port, or a boat rescue. I feel confident in their ability to handle emergencies, though I thankfully do not have any firsthand experience with them.

My husband had a severe allergy attack while on the Caribbean Princess. We went to the Pursers desk & they immediately got the doctor. Five hours later my hubby was enough better to be wheeled back to our cabin. We cannot say enough about the wonderful care he got.

To respond directly to your questions (scenarios), rather than wander off into the insurance debate:

1. The medical center has regular clinic hours. If you cut yourself outside of normal hours, you can call 911 or the medical center or guest services, and the medical staff will open the center to deal with you.

2. While normally there is one or two doctors, and one or two nurses in the medical center, there are emergency teams called "medical teams" or "stretcher teams" made up of crew members. If an accident happens like your scenario #2, when someone calls 911, the bridge officers will call out an emergency code message to the crew, and the medical teams will leave their jobs and report to the medical center, where the staff will direct them to the scene. They can then transport the patient, under the doctors orders, to the medical center for treatment. On most ships, there are a couple medical teams of 5-6 crew each.

The level of care is like a small town ER. Cuts, broken bones, a birth, allergies, heart attacks, and strokes can be dealt with in various levels. The serious, life threatening situations will require evacuation, but they can set bones, take x-rays, IV's, things like that.

My mother had a medical emergency on our last cruise. Called 911 and they were up in our cabin had her in a chair and down to the medical bay within minutes. By the time I had gathered up all her medications and made it downstairs they had her up on a table with a team around her. About 15 min later they said she's stable I can see her. Later in the evening wheeled her back to the cabin.

Cant say enough about the medical staff they saved her life.

The fees were added to the cabins account and paid with credit card. Home submitted the bills to the travel insurance company and they sent out a check rather quickly.

For those non-life threatening issues, the ship's doctor can stitch you up or wrap an ace bandage onto you... If you have a compound fracture, you will be medivaced off the ship...they don't do "surgery" and bone setting! Same with heart issues, appendix, or other medical emergencies...they will get you off the ship ASAP!

If the injury is caused by the ship somehow, you will not likely be charged for treatment. If you are charged, it's added to your account. Insurance isn't accepted on the ship or islands/countries....you will have to pay, then submit the bills to your insurance carrier. It will be "out of network" in most cases, so you should have some kind of medical travel insurance!

Edited by cb at sea

have been on both ends of the stick....as a medical provider on shore for kids who were very ill on ships, and as a recipient for medical car on the ship. They will evacuate if necessary...or divert the course, if necessary. I have seen them fly in with a helicopter to deliver a patient to a hospital...some of the most urgent medical care is need for crushing injuries which usually occur on cargo ships. Luckily, that doesn't happen much on a cruise ship....but MI's, Strokes and other illnesses all occur....Nowadays, most ship docs are ER or family docs....Years ago they were often pychs or derm guys....:)

The Medical Center is prepared for emergencies and critical care within reason. They can cross-type blood and give transfusions; they can X-ray and cast broken bones; etc.

If your onboard medical care is significant and you're unable to pay with a credit or debit card, they will arrange to send you a bill at home. My BIL's onboard bill for 24 hours of critical care was $8,000. Once back home, my sister submitted the bill to insurance and once she was paid (Anthem Blue Cross paid $6,000, Princess insurance paid the remaining $2,000), she paid the Princess bill. She had no out-of-pocket.

They can cross-type blood and give transfusions.

They do not keep a supply of blood on board. If blood is needed, they will make an announcement for volunteer donors who must have their official donor card with them.

If your onboard medical care is significant and you're unable to pay with a credit or debit card, they will arrange to send you a bill at home. ...

I was wondering what would happen if the injured/sick pax didn't have enough $ available on their credit/debit card or cash, and no travel insurance. The ship certainly couldn't put you in the brig until you came up with the money. Good to hear you would receive a bill at home for services rendered.

Edited by Treven

They do not keep a supply of blood on board. If blood is needed, they will make an announcement for volunteer donors who must have their official donor card with them.

Truth, had it happen on one of our cruises as have my parents.

From me (the OP): THANK YOU everybody for the very informative and interesting responses. I'm not hurt nor PLAN on getting hurt, but I just thought it'd be something good to familiarize myself with. Otherwise, for some reason I didn't get ANY email notifications that anybody responded so I was happily surprised to look into this some half a dozen hours later. You guys are GREAT!

- Mike (and hoping I'm not actually "chunder worthy" on the ship.... unless near a toilet or unobstructed porthole of course)

Edited by Chunder Worthy

I have heard announcements over the PA on several cruises where they ask for donors of a particular blood type. Once a dad "outed" his daughter as a volunteer donor to a crowd in the piazza and she got a loud round of applause.

Right. They do a PA announcement looking for volunteers. Crew are not allowed. Once everyone is screened, (in my BIL's case it was about 30 people) they call a few of them back to actually donate blood. A couple of years later, my sister ran into a woman who had donated blood to my BIL.

The Princess medical staff that I have talked to are experienced, very well trained, and certified to be able to take care of most any sort of medical emergency. In addition to physicians, there are registered nurses and paramedics/emts ready to provide whatever sort of assistance you need. Both times that I have had need of their services, fortunately for relatively minor problems but required a physician to handle them, I found them professional, caring and efficient.

The facilities are rather like a small ER, and have the same sort of emergency equipment that one would see in an ER.