Princess Just Ticked Me Off Majorly.

deborahjo

It's that simple.

You need to put in a credit card number to complete your personalizer but then you may pay cash for your account once onboard.

I don't understand the aversion to this.

Mike:)

Neither do I:confused:. Barring any large purchases at Facets for my DW (which has happened on occasion:D), I always pay off my onboard account on the last day of the cruise.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

How can they enjoy their cruise when something this minor is a major tick off.

Wow!! Would hate to see a minor tick off!

Some people have no coping skills.

OP please understand that Princess is owned by Carnival Corp but is a separate entity.

I agree its a nonsense policy. I don't like spreading around CC numbers unnecessarily either.

As a workaround, how about go purchase a $50 pre-loaded Visa or MC and use that card number to satisfy the personalizer and print your docs. Then use it up for routine expenses. Might cost you a few $ in fees but you won't expose your other cards.

BRILLIANT IDEA! With all due respect, I'm going to use it myself! As I have several VERY[/b ]intrusive, controlling family members, I am paranoid about keeping financial details confidential [b]UNLESS I am discussing with a TRUSTED and self-chosen family member. I have 2 I can absolutely trust, there's another whom I most definitely will be FORCED to work with, and am making plans to work through a lawyer to protect myself.

Crochetcruise :cool:

Here's the flat out reason why...

They did not always require it. People would then check in, put down X amount of cash in lieu of card, spend money, then not come back and they had to be tracked down for things like overages, etc. So the decision was made to ensure (just like a hotel) that there was a method of payment on file other than cash. This way, at checkout, they don't have to worry about stopping you from disembarking and the chaos that causes (unless your card is declined).

Absolutely. No bother... we never carry "cruise documents" and always get our luggage tags at the pier. Figure the less paperwork to have to carry the better. I do keep our confirmation numbers on my phone(Tripit is a godsend), but that's it.

I do think it is a good idea, however, to keep a hardcopy printout with you if you have any OBC on a cruise. I have read on CC that some have had issues with Princess regarding OBC "disappearing" once they were onboard, so I like to carry proof. I personally don't like to rely on an electronic device when $ are involved. YMMV, of course :).

I don't believe gift cards and other "temporary" store bought bank cards are acceptable forms of payment. I tried to use several on different cruises (deposit, OBC, gift myself, etc) and was never allowed.

I believe it has to be a credit card with your name and a "true" account number.

I could be wrong. Have been before, but I am sure I will be corrected.

I admit that I don't completely understand the problem with using a credit card especially when doung so in this instance would leave the OP looking forward to their cruise rather than being "Majorly Ticked off with Princess". You need to pick your battles.....this one isn't worth it in my opinion.

There is the option (that we use all the time) to pre-purchase additional OBC for your account thus eliminating the need to carry thousands of dollars around and it replaces having to "pay the credit card off after the cruise" with "having to pay the credit card off before the cruise" which seems to be a part of the OP's concern.

Terry

I don't believe gift cards and other "temporary" store bought bank cards are acceptable forms of payment. I tried to use several on different cruises (deposit, OBC, gift myself, etc) and was never allowed.

I believe it has to be a credit card with your name and a "true" account number.

That's true... I've received gift cards from AT&T and they explicitly say on the back that you cannot use them on cruise ships.

That's true... I've received gift cards from AT&T and they explicitly say on the back that you cannot use them on cruise ships.

The cards used on the ship must have your name embossed on them.

Gift cards usually do not.

I admit that I don't completely understand the problem with using a credit card...

The OP mentioned a concern with holds being placed on the card. I can understand this, as I once had a substantial hold (over $1000 IIRC) placed on a credit card by Princess that didn't drop off as it was supposed to after the cruise.

I finally had to call Princess HQ to get it removed, as my bank said Princess had improperly done the authorization, and it looked like a pending charge. This was in addition to my actual charges that had already been posted the day after the cruise.

What I advise is to get a separate credit card just for travel-related expenses (hotels, rental cars, cruises) so your everyday card(s) don't get tied up with authorization holds.

Good thing she's not cruising on HAL where they require a hold of $60/pp/day on your Personalizer before boarding.

Wonder what other expectations the OP has.

Sheesh, Pam! What is your problem? You always expect people to be logical and realistic!! Why is it that you always present a reasonable and logical attitude toward things? Can't you just "get over yourself" and be unreasonable and have a non-logical attitude?

Sorry, just couldn't help myself... ;) As usual, you are right on the money.

If that irritates you, I'd hate to read your review of the cruise.

Wait until 5 days prior and print the tags. Geez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems Op didn't think of that option, just got ticked off.

Majorly.

I also experience that with gift cards.

I think it is interesting that the OP has not returned to post here. Looking at some of her past posts, she is a great defender of Carnival just like many on this board defend Princess.

I hope that, in the end, she has a good experience with her Princess cruise. If not, she can always go back to Carnival. There are so many cruise lines that are, in the end, more similar than different, however the differences, no matter how small, are often what keep people coming back to the same cruise line over and over.

Dixon:cool:

Agree completely; no one is saying you have to use the credit card-they just want a back up on file.

As the one who completes the cruise personalizer for everyone in my family, I will usually input in my credit card number. Then when we check in, my hubby takes out his credit card and that's the one tied to our on-board charges. My credit card isn't used by Princess at all for any of our charges. Not a biggie. And for those without a credit card, it's not the end of the world. They still have their receipt for their final payment that they can take with (instead of the boarding docs) and they can still put down cash at the check in counter. They just won't have the Princess tags until they get to the port...which means filling in the info right there.

Be careful putting your account into credit. When cruising with HAL we paid our account in full the last night, leaving a few dollars over in case we wanted a drink.

When trying to depart the ship the following morning my DH was stopped and told to go and see the pursers desk as there was a problem. (I had already got off)

When FINALLY getting to the pursers desk, he was told that our account was in credit by $5.00 and they had to give it to him. They had our credit card details, so I don't know why they didn't put it onto that.

DH said he didn't want the $5.00, we had a plane to catch. He then had to fill out paper work to say that he didn't want it.

I don't know which way Princess works if your account is left in credit, but hope it is better than HAL.

Carnival have a good one, if it is under $5.00 they give it to the charity fund, over that they put it back onto your credit card.