Horizon Buffet

MaryTiller

That is why we see what is available & then get what we want. We also do the dining room and enjoy the service we get there too. Best of both worlds to us anyway. All depends on what we want to do at the time.

Speaking of "Best of both worlds"....we cruised last month on RCI's Liberty of the Seas. We usually have breakfast in their buffet, but we tried their MDR, and to our surprise and delight, found that you can actually do both there for breakfast and lunch. You can be seated at a table and order off of a menu, and also walk up to a buffet set up, and select many hot and cold items, as well.:cool:

Do they still have the small area at the back of the buffet ? They would have theme lunches like Asian with sushi. Also a quieter place on first day as not every one knew it was there.

Also on the Ruby they had a waffle station by the pool in the pizzeria. And omelette to order set up. If we had to get off early to shore, we would use that. Not much of a buffet person, on 10 cruises only used a handful of times, but really looking forward to the one on the Regal. Still love the MDR for breakfast and embarcation day. So calm and relaxing.

Do they still have the small area at the back of the buffet ? They would have theme lunches like Asian with sushi. Also a quieter place on first day as not every one knew it was there.
Do you mean the Horizon Bistro? If so, it's not small and it's not at the back but rather a large buffet between the Horizon Court and the pool. There's no "small area at the back" on the Royal or Regal. Themed lunches are in the Horizon Court (along with everything else) and in the Bistro, they have wok dishes as well as made-to-order sandwiches and another large salad bar where you can make your own chef's salad.

Sorry, I love Princess and I love the MDR, the International Cafe, room service, Alfredo's and tapas at Vines, but do not like Horizons. We haven't done Regal, but have done Rayal. While it is bigger, haven't found the boos to be better. We usually only go there for breakfast or maybe an occasional late lunch.

Pretty much my take as well. True enough, the Royal HC (my own subjective opinion) was bigger, but it was definitely nothing to jump up and down about. It has been my experience that the HC can be hit/miss no matter what ship you are on. I've had great on the Ruby, Emerald, and Diamond but absolutely horrible on the Golden.

Bob

I have a question about the seating area of the Horizon Buffet on the Royal. Is it carpeted? We always book a balcony under the buffet deck in order to have the large overhang covering our balcony. If it is carpeted there is no noise from the chairs moving. We can't figure out where the seating is from the deck plans.

I have a question about the seating area of the Horizon Buffet on the Royal. Is it carpeted? We always book a balcony under the buffet deck in order to have the large overhang covering our balcony. If it is carpeted there is no noise from the chairs moving. We can't figure out where the seating is from the deck plans.

Seating areas are carpeted.

What can be an issue is the balconies under the aft outside seating area at the HC. People get loud and congregate when leaving entering/port. We had family and friends traveling with us on the Regal. they had 3 cabins in that location and it was annoying when out on the balcony with loud talking and screaming. :(

Do you mean the Horizon Bistro? If so, it's not small and it's not at the back but rather a large buffet between the Horizon Court and the pool. There's no "small area at the back" on the Royal or Regal. Themed lunches are in the Horizon Court (along with everything else) and in the Bistro, they have wok dishes as well as made-to-order sandwiches and another large salad bar where you can make your own chef's salad.
They might be talking about Cafe Caribe on the Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby. Edited by IECalCruiser

If you ask they will make a few up fresh for you. We do that. The ones in the pan are pre-made, but are not 'old'. They are made right there at the counter.

In general, the Royal's (have not been on the Regal) buffet area gets an "A".

Bagels. Would be great if Princess would boil & bake the real ones.

We haven't been on the Royal or Regal' date=' but my hubby would always to to the Horizon for his made-to-order omelet for cruise breakfasts. My daughter is a major fan of the waffles, and sometimes we would luck out and fresh ones were being made while we were there.

Hopefully the indecisive passengers don't hold up the lines at the food stations as they tend to on the other ships. That's why I usually request on the post-cruise survey that a sign be posted with the choices there at the entrance.[/quote']

They might be talking about Cafe Caribe on the Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby.

Do they still have smoked salmon at the breakfast buffet?

Edited by jbertakis

Ohhhhh we dream about the Regal's Horizon Court/Bistro/Pastry Shop!!!! It's huge, full of variety, and so far beyond the standard HC. Our fav is the Tacqueria! You'll love it!

Yes......... a bunch of variety and very good.

Plenty of seating to be found in HC on the Regal Princess. Always able to find a seat no matter what time of day when we needed a table.

The buffet in general just sounds better on Royal/Regal. I hope to find out for myself some day.

We found it to be remarkable on Royal. DH and I never duplicated what was on each other's plate. Temperatures and taste were excellent. I usually eat elsewhere for lunch, but on Royal it was Horizon more than 50% of the time.

MDR for dinner every night was also better than I expected.

Thanks, we were on the Oasis last month and they said you can only get it in the main dining room for breakfast...they did have smoked salmon at the buffet before though, and I was just wondering if Celebrity cut that out olso.

The buffet in general just sounds better on Royal/Regal. I hope to find out for myself some day.

Horizon on Regal was the best cruise ship buffet I have ever seen. Seating suffers a little, but the selection blows away any other ship I have ever been on.

As others have said, it is. And, hopefully you will, because you will be pleasantly surprised. We certainly were. :cool:

As others have said, it is. And, hopefully you will, because you will be pleasantly surprised. We certainly were. :cool:

I enjoyed the Horizon Court, the selections and seating, so much, that I decided to switch from Traditional Dining to Anytime and use the HC more often. Also, that will give me an opportunity to avail myself of the Crab Shack and other specialty dining without feeling guilty for ditching my tablemates in traditional. I was on the Royal last year and will be on the Regal this year. This class of ship and most of what she offers is a perfect fit for me. There are a few features I wish were different, but most I love, and the buffet was an amazing surprise.

Also, they had salmon on the breakfast buffet. It's one of my favorites.

Maureen

Thank you. I have a question about ATD for a solo. My first alone with 10 cruises and 5 Princess. On the solo boards, they all say go for late assigned. With all the options on Regal , I want to try different things. But I don't want to eat alone if I choose the MDR. What do you think? I have read many of your posts and usually agree. Also we are of the same age group. Thanks.

Thank you. I have a question about ATD for a solo. My first alone with 10 cruises and 5 Princess. On the solo boards, they all say go for late assigned. With all the options on Regal , I want to try different things. But I don't want to eat alone if I choose the MDR. What do you think? I have read many of your posts and usually agree. Also we are of the same age group. Thanks.

When you enter the dining room each evening they will ask if you want to share a table. Just say "Yes" and you will not be eating alone.