No New "Smaller" Ships Planned?

Great find!!! :D

I agree with your last comment re: Vision Class... sisters Rhapsody & Vision I suspect will be around much longer than the 20 yr mark as they're so much nicer than Majesty & Legend/Splendour.. I also like your thought that RCL might milk those Vision Class ships for as long as possible in their current home ports.

If they are going to remain in Baltimore it has to be a Vision class of ship. Others will not fit under the bridge I do believe. I agree that RCI will utilize Rhapsody, Vision, and Enchantment as long as financially feasible.

If they are going to remain in Baltimore it has to be a Vision class of ship. Others will not fit under the bridge I do believe. I agree that RCI will utilize Rhapsody, Vision, and Enchantment as long as financially feasible.

I know this is often a topic of discussion, but I thought I read that Radiance Class ships can fit under the bridge?

Virgin has signed with Fincantieri for three "boutique" ships. Boutique in their eyes being a capacity of 2800 passengers:eek::D so give 'em your input!

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/stay-turned-for-virgin-cruises-news.html

It's 5 years until the first ship will be ready but I like the sizing. We will gladly give them consideration if the pricing is not out of line.

I know this is often a topic of discussion, but I thought I read that Radiance Class ships can fit under the bridge?

I am not sure. Most say they cannot. Personally, I would love to see a Radiance class ship in Baltimore if they fit under the bridge! Love the ships and much closer to home. It would allow us to cruise more often which is always a good thing!! :D

I am not sure. Most say they cannot. Personally, I would love to see a Radiance class ship in Baltimore if they fit under the bridge! Love the ships and much closer to home. It would allow us to cruise more often which is always a good thing!! :D

I was under the impression that a Radiance class ship can fit under the bridges. Some captains have said so during their "Captain's Corner" talk. I also had heard that a Millenium class ship from Celebrity could fit under the bridges as well.

Given past trends RCI is unlikely to extend the lifecycle of any of their ships much beyond 20 years. If the the financials make sense, any of the Vision class could be following Splendour out of the fleet at any time after 2017 ( I assume Legend will be next). With Oasis 4 and Quantum 4 coming before 2020, I would think at least 2 ships will leave before then.

As the airline industry has seen, there's a very limited market for the A380 (the Oasis class of the airline business) or as Ford has seen with the Excursion simply going bigger with every remodel has its limits (and market appeal).

I think the cruise industry has already reached that limit with Oasis and it is unlikely anyone would build anything bigger. Of course smaller than Oasis could still be very large. An Edge class ship with an additional deck (about 3300 capacity) makes the most sense for the next class of ships. Such a ship could still make it to most ports currently served by Vision class ships and make sense financially.

Apparently the industry has not reached the limit as Carnival is building 4 ships each with a capacity of 6,600 passengers. :eek:

I was under the impression that a Radiance class ship can fit under the bridges. Some captains have said so during their "Captain's Corner" talk. I also had heard that a Millenium class ship from Celebrity could fit under the bridges as well.

I sincerely hope your right and at some point a nicer ship is able to be placed in Baltimore. We enjoy Vision class ships but would like to see a ship there with more balconies.

Not sure that will happen. None of their ships will fit under the bridge.

How about one of Celebrities new builds? I am hoping that both Royal and Celebrity realize what a great port they have in Baltimore.

PS - was in Baltimore in May. There are some renovations being done to the terminal. I only saw the work being done on the "walkway" that takes you from the main terminal to the ship.

How about one of Celebrities new builds? I am hoping that both Royal and Celebrity realize what a great port they have in Baltimore.

PS - was in Baltimore in May. There are some renovations being done to the terminal. I only saw the work being done on the "walkway" that takes you from the main terminal to the ship.

Hopefully someone can confirm one way or the other if a Radiance or Millennium class ship can fit under the bridges. As for the Celebrity new builds, my understanding is they will be taller than Millennium class are.

Apparently the industry has not reached the limit as Carnival is building 4 ships each with a capacity of 6,600 passengers. :eek:

The math on those future Aida ships don't seem to add up - the 180,000 GT ships with 6,600 capacity don't make sense when the Oasis class at 223,000 GT "only" has a capacity of 5,400.

While the 2017 MSC Seaside is listed at 5,300 passengers within its 154,000 GT in some publications, it would be awfully cramped if those numbers are accurate.

Some publications intermix full capacity (which for Oasis class is well over 6,000) vs. double occupancy capacity.

In terms of GT, I think my statement stands that I don't foresee anyone building anything bigger than Oasis class.

As for the Celebrity new builds, my understanding is they will be taller than Millennium class are.

....but will likely have retractable funnels (to lower its listed 190 ft height) which may make some height limited ports accesible.:cool:

The Australia & Asia market is really seeing a big growth in cruise ships.

Seems we are also getting the bigger voyager class ships and now ovation.

Due to limited docks and the need to use tenders I hope RCI will keep some of the smaller ships in Australia & Asia.

I cruised on rhapsody and really don't think you could top that cruise. The staff were amazing. Real old cruise feel and just so friendly and happy.

Please RCI give Australia back rhapsody of the seas! She maybe getting older but she really is a brilliant cruise ship.

The math on those future Aida ships don't seem to add up - the 180,000 GT ships with 6,600 capacity don't make sense when the Oasis class at 223,000 GT "only" has a capacity of 5,400.

While the 2017 MSC Seaside is listed at 5,300 passengers within its 154,000 GT in some publications, it would be awfully cramped if those numbers are accurate.

Some publications intermix full capacity (which for Oasis class is well over 6,000) vs. double occupancy capacity.

In terms of GT, I think my statement stands that I don't foresee anyone building anything bigger than Oasis class.

The capacity is usually passenger capacity though? So maybe the Aida are getting rid of half the crew to fit in more passenger cabins. Or vastly reducing the public areas? For example, if you got rid of the Royal Promenade on Oasis (an internal space, so counted for GT), and filled it with cabins, you could probably get another 200 cabins in there, potentially sleeping up to 800 people.

The capacity is usually passenger capacity though? So maybe the Aida are getting rid of half the crew to fit in more passenger cabins. Or vastly reducing the public areas? For example, if you got rid of the Royal Promenade on Oasis (an internal space, so counted for GT), and filled it with cabins, you could probably get another 200 cabins in there, potentially sleeping up to 800 people.

In further reading some of the available info, it seems that the 6,600 number is full capacity but the ship actually has fewer cabins than Oasis. Apparently it will have a whole bunch more cabins capable of more than double occupancy. Given these numbers, the public space available will be much smaller than Oasis.

I did some more digging and the MSC Seaside has a double occupancy of about 4,200 (full capacity of 5,300) in line with its Quantum like size.

In looking at the mainline ship orders from all cruiselines from now till 2020, the majority of the ships are in the 130-170 K GT range with occupancy from 3000-4500. There are few at the lower end (HAL Koningsdam, Tui and Virgin all around 100K GT) with Celebrity Edge at 117K GT.

Basically, no one will build anything below 100K GT (Vision and Radiance class) for a mass market cruiseline in the future.

As a mass market line with so much competition on the horizon (with newer, bigger ships), RCI can't afford to have 20+ year old sub 100K GT ships in the fleet. All of Vision and Radiance class ships will be gone in 5+ years.

Seems like Richard Branson is going to be building what people claim they want. We will see in 5 years if the reality matches the talk.

Miami will be crazy busy with new bigger ships by the time the first Virgin ship arrives in 2020.

virgin1-710x434.jpg

Miami will be crazy busy with new bigger ships by the time the first Virgin ship arrives in 2020.

virgin1-710x434.jpg

all I know is the next time the economy tanks they will be begging us SoFla residents to go fill up the ships.

Basically, no one will build anything below 100K GT (Vision and Radiance class) for a mass market cruiseline in the future.

As a mass market line with so much competition on the horizon (with newer, bigger ships), RCI can't afford to have 20+ year old sub 100K GT ships in the fleet. All of Vision and Radiance class ships will be gone in 5+ years.

Come back in five years and see if your prediction comes true. I agree that new ships smaller than 100K GT aren't on the horizon for mass market lines like RCI, but I believe that the life expectancy of the Radiance class ships still exceeds 5 years.

Since we can't expect a new Radiance Class why not a Voyager Class. We have sailed mainly Radiance Class & one Freedom Class.

Too few passengers for the amount of space. The bean counters are firmly in control of ship design now.

There's no way the Radiance Class will all be gone in 5 years. Jewel, who is only 11 years old, hasn't even gone through her major refurbishment. She'll be around for at least 10 more years.

I would like to see a modernized version of the Radiance Class built!

I agree! Although the various classes offer all of us the opportunity to pick the ship that fits our needs, the smaller classes are more manageable for those who have health issues but are not wheel chair bound.

Also, without the smaller ships, the number of available port stops will be limited.

Come back in five years and see if your prediction comes true. I agree that new ships smaller than 100K GT aren't on the horizon for mass market lines like RCI, but I believe that the life expectancy of the Radiance class ships still exceeds 5 years.

There is no way I would believe Radiance class ships will be totally gone in 5 years.

The Sovereign class sailed for RC for no less than 20 years. In fact, Majesty will be 24 years old when she leaves for Pullmantur next year.

Going on that, one could expect that even Radiance of the Seas, the first Radiance class ship, will sail under RC for another 6-10 years. Jewel possibly up until 2024 or longer. I dont think that Jewel is even at half her lifespan under Royal Caribbean International yet.

Edited by ryano

Doubtful that any of the mass market cruise lines will "go small" any time soon. With the industry going more global each year, with environmental laws making it more difficult to sail into ports where small ships are the only ones that fit (i.e. Tampa, Baltimore, Key West, etc.), and with a shift in strategy to attract more first-time cruisers over repeat cruisers, my take is that the small ship market will be driven inexorably upscale by the major players. New cruisers have no idea what constitutes small, and long time/frequent cruisers will be forced to migrate to more boutique and upscale ships to find the ambiance that small reflects.

You might be right. Perhaps that's what Richard Branson of The Virgin Group was thinking when he decided to enter the business.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/06/23/virgin-cruises-richard-branson-first-ship-miami-in-2020/29164413/