Make-a-wish possibly being dropped as RCI's Charity???

Make a wish was on Navigator at end of April, founder of organization was also on board , they seemed to have large turn out, they were out of my size for t-shirt so I bought a RCCL/MAW beach towel, I agree good charity

Personally, I won't miss this at all. Nothing against MAW, but my job is raising money for a non-profit. So the last thing I want to on vacation is participate in a fundraising event! PCWalton1 - I would be happy to keep you company in a nearby lounger. No need to drink alone. ;)

Another one that will be sad to see it go.

I personally found that this was a whole lot less intrusive than all the calls that I get at home. Even on the ships that heavily promoted it, the monarch was one you never had that one on one sales pitch. Yes it was in the daily compass or on an announcement,net or mentioned at the end of a show but it was never directed at you personally. We did this every cruise and would get the towels as those we could use by the pool at home for all the kids fiends that seemed to always show up.

From what I saw aboard various ships it's success rested solely on the cruise director and how they promoted it.

Another one that will be sad to see it go.

I personally found that this was a whole lot less intrusive than all the calls that I get at home. Even on the ships that heavily promoted it, the monarch was one you never had that one on one sales pitch. Yes it was in the daily compass or on an announcement,net or mentioned at the end of a show but it was never directed at you personally. We did this every cruise and would get the towels as those we could use by the pool at home for all the kids fiends that seemed to always show up.

From what I saw aboard various ships it's success rested solely on the cruise director and how they promoted it.

Interesting Freudian slip............. ;) :D

All cruisers who are disappointed in this decision not to have Make-A-Wish as the charity of the cruise line, should write to the Michael Bayley, the President. Take it to the top!

His email address is: mbayley@rccl.com.

Here we go again. This is upsetting but this not an issue that needs a million emails to the C-suite.

Corporations have a set customer service system and hierarchy for a reason. Are you too important for the system in place so you automatically start passing out the CEO's email address? If this is important to you, contact them through the proper channels and if that doesn't work show them by taking business elsewhere and donate independently.

Let's not forget that information from the crew generally is not true and is rumor.

Sorry to hear this. We support MAW onboard and privately as well. We have been blessed to have been on a cruise where a MAW child was onboard. It was quite a moment for us. The young girl took part in the walk but tired quickly. The captain kneeled down and she climbed on his shoulders and he carried her for the rest of the walk.

Edited by cruisingsince94

We had a walk for MAW but it was announced they have ended their official relationship with the Charity. Right now it seems each ship (CD or whoever) is choosing their own charity. They were still selling tshirts and towels, no kid's sizes available.

On any of our cruises: I never felt forced or even urged to donate. As previous posters mentioned, I don't like stores constantly asking, but I never felt Royal pushed it too much.

Just off of Indy and they mentioned MAW being special to RCCL this month so there was an auction each night before the main 9pm show offering different packages. They also had the walk the last sea day. Their goal was to raise $10,000 is grant two wishes this week and the cruise director set a challenge to the cruisers to raise this amount by offering to have the assistant cruise director's chest waxed. We didn't make the amount but not sure by how much. Either way, didn't hear anything about it being discontinued on the Indy.

We welcome the perspective you offer as a returning guest about our support of the Make-a-Wish Foundation. Thank you for making us aware of your concerns. Your feedback provides an invaluable method of measuring our performance. We have shared your comments with our operational teams for their internal review.

Kindly note that we do not have any information available at this time about ending our support of the Make-a-Wish Foundation. Royal Caribbean International has been a generous supporter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation since 2000. Through Wishes at Sea, established in 2000, we commit a certain number of cruise packages to granting wishes each year.

Born in 1980 when a group of caring volunteers helped a young boy fulfill his dream of becoming a police officer, the Foundation is now the largest wish-granting charity in the world, with 62 chapters in the United States and its territories. With the help of generous donors and more than 25,000 volunteers, the Make-A-Wish Foundation grants a wish every 40 minutes and has granted more than 200,000 wishes in the U.S. since inception.

We were on Allure in April and questioned the concierge when the walk was.... We have done it every cruise ! We were told they weren't doing it on the cruise and were probably dropping it altogether . We will be back on Freedom in a couple months and hope they still have it !

I never felt the MAW walk was intrusive, but looked forward to it. It also provided an opportunity to walk and chat with RC officers not often seen. On the larger ships with their own walking track, Allure and Oasis, the walk does not interfere with any other activities MAW holds a special spot in my heart as my cousin was a wish kid. My daughter completed an internship with Make a Wish and was fortunate enough to do another internship with Disneyworld where she saw wishes come true working with wish kids there. I, too, am certain there are many worthwhile nonprofits, but to help grant a wish to a child with life threatening medical condition? Any time!

Just off of Indy and they mentioned MAW being special to RCCL this month so there was an auction each night before the main 9pm show offering different packages. They also had the walk the last sea day. Their goal was to raise $10,000 is grant two wishes this week and the cruise director set a challenge to the cruisers to raise this amount by offering to have the assistant cruise director's chest waxed. We didn't make the amount but not sure by how much. Either way, didn't hear anything about it being discontinued on the Indy.

We were on the Independence at the end of May and there was actually a couple who made a $10,000 donation at the walk. Leigh was ecstatic and said it was one of the largest donations ever made in their partnership with Make a Wish.

There were two Make a Wish recipients and their families on our sailing and it was very emotional for all of them.

It was a great partnership they had and I hate to see that go.

Personally, I won't miss this at all. Nothing against MAW, but my job is raising money for a non-profit. So the last thing I want to on vacation is participate in a fundraising event! PCWalton1 - I would be happy to keep you company in a nearby lounger. No need to drink alone. ;)

I would think that if you work to raise money for a non- profit, you would appreciate how hard "quality" non-profits work to make that money, and want to see them succeed for the good of their charity. They certainly would not make you participate if you choose not to. In fact I have never ever felt pushed by the cruise line to donate or participate in the walk. In fact I found that most People had no idea that it was going on. I have had many people ask... whats happening here, as we where meeting, and I am always happy to share what a great Charity MAW is.

I would be very sad to see RCCL end their relationship with MAW. My Son was granted a wish, and it was the best experience he has ever had. We as a family could not be more grateful to MAW or the amazing, generous people like you, that are kind enough to donate. Thank You!!

Oh and As of May 22 on Radiance they did have a MAW walk, and we were thrilled to be able to participate. Amy mentioned how near and dear to their hearts MAW was... so who knows.

I would think that if you work to raise money for a non- profit, you would appreciate how hard "quality" non-profits work to make that money, and want to see them succeed for the good of their charity. They certainly would not make you participate if you choose not to. In fact I have never ever felt pushed by the cruise line to donate or participate in the walk. In fact I found that most People had no idea that it was going on. I have had many people ask... whats happening here, as we where meeting, and I am always happy to share what a great Charity MAW is.

I would be very sad to see RCCL end their relationship with MAW. My Son was granted a wish, and it was the best experience he has ever had. We as a family could not be more grateful to MAW or the amazing, generous people like you, that are kind enough to donate. Thank You!!

Oh and As of May 22 on Radiance they did have a MAW walk, and we were thrilled to be able to participate. Amy mentioned how near and dear to their hearts MAW was... so who knows.

Fully agree. My DS too has received a wish, to see the mouse in Orlando this past March, but the point is still the same. He's been on numerous RCCL cruises and he himself, before he became sick, enjoyed the walk. I always felt they didn't promote it enough. It's not like they were blocking the doors asking for donations like some other charities. I've felt they hype there own products, such as spa treatments or watch sales, way more than they did the fundraising. Sad day.

Let's not forget that information from the crew generally is not true and is rumor.

I find the information from the crew to be true 99% of the time!!!

Now "land based" employee information is just the opposite! " land based " information is "untrue" about 98% of the time!

On any of our cruises: I never felt forced or even urged to donate. As previous posters mentioned, I don't like stores constantly asking, but I never felt Royal pushed it too much.

Totally agree! It seems every store is asking for a donation for some charity!!! I never felt that MAW was over promoted. It was listed in the compass and then mentioned in "activity rundown " announcements. Never any "targeted" announcements. Unlike Bingo and art auctions!!!! :D Just like any other activity onboard....it was there if you wanted to participate....but no worries if you didn't!

Edited by skiiergirl

I'm ambivalent about the change. MAW has its loyal supporters and they will make a lot of noise if Royal decides to drop them.

I don't find the way they promote the walk intrusive, in fact on many of my early cruises it was never mentioned so I guess they didn't bother with it on less than 6 nights. I suppose the families that wanted a vacation didn't have a desire to go to Nassau.

Edited by temple1

I would be interested to know from anyone just returning from a cruise if their sailing was still participating in the MAW walk/Charity?

Thanks

There are posts here indicating if there was or wasn't. I am on Grandeur now, the ship where the CD made the statement it was stopping. They still had a walk and tshirts.

All cruisers who are disappointed in this decision not to have Make-A-Wish as the charity of the cruise line, should write to the Michael Bayley, the President. Take it to the top!

His email address is: mbayley@rccl.com.

SERIOUSLY????

I don't get how people love to get fired up around here....

I feel like there is only a finite amount of "indignancy" I can possible generate. And I can't imagine how trivial and pointless the rest of my collective life experiences would have to be to have this be what I was indignant about.

I get that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, and I think all comments should be welcomed here. But I also believe I am entitled to point out when something is ridiculous. This suggestion is truly ridiculous.

If anyone knows who made this decision let me know. I would like to personally send them this letter.

SERIOUSLY????

I feel like there is only a finite amount of "indignancy" I can possible generate. And I can't imagine how trivial and pointless the rest of my collective life experiences would have to be to have this be what I was indignant about.

I get that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, and I think all comments should be welcomed here. But I also believe I am entitled to point out when something is ridiculous. This suggestion is truly ridiculous.

To leisuretraveler223 - I was just providing information that was requested by montecarol0407. In large corporations, the CEO has lots of input into the decisions made about their corporate foundation projects. If Jackie (montecarlo0407) wants to write a letter, it is up to her.

SERIOUSLY????

Indignant is not what I would call myself over this, disappointed is more like it. I do not feel contacting the CEO of RCCL to express that disappointment to be over reaching. I also do not find my life to be trivial or pointless, for caring deeply about a charity that has personally touched our lives and the lives of many very sick children around the country.

You are correct that everyone here is entitled to their opinion, but I don't think that you should get to tell everyone whats ridiculous...I find that in itself to be ridiculous.

indignant is not what i would call myself over this, disappointed is more like it. I do not feel contacting the ceo of rccl to express that disappointment to be over reaching. I also do not find my life to be trivial or pointless, for caring deeply about a charity that has personally touched our lives and the lives of many very sick children around the country.

You are correct that everyone here is entitled to their opinion, but i don't think that you should get to tell everyone whats ridiculous...i find that in itself to be ridiculous.

like!