Constellation aft cabin questions

ritraveler

We have cruised many times but we have booked an aft cabin for the first time - cabin 9201 right below the aft bar- , and I am having second thoughts. The cruise is Sept 2016..11 nights from Venice with stops in Croatia with an over-night in Dubrovnik and Malta. My questions are: is the balcony completely covered from above?...I have read that it can get warm because there is so little wind on the aft cabins..I like the fact that there is shade but will it get too warm?...also I've never been anywhere other than the middle of the ship on the upper decks..would an aft feel more movement?...I know forward cabins do but I guess I never noticed more movement in the back of the ship...also debating whether it would be worth it to give up the aft cabin and book aqua on deck 9 ( mid-ship) as its about the same price...the deck 11 aqua cabins seem to have full sun (no overhang) which my husband would not like...sorry to be so long-winded- I'm so confused!!

Certainly the aqua cabins on deck 9 will not be sunny due to the large overhang. Probably the best compromise cabins are the 3 middle aqua cabins on deck 11 (1138, 1140, 1141 which have a large shaded area as well as a large sunny area....The side cabins on deck 11 have less shelter from the sun.

Stick with 9201. Those are great cabins with huge balconies - part shade, part sun - not to mention the spacious cabin itself. You can't go wrong with this one. Have never noticed any extra "movement" being on the aft.

Edited by gimletgal

We've been in aft cabins on the Constellation several times.

After our experiences, (we've been on the Constellation 5 times in cabins from front to mid to back) my opinion is the amount of movement is dependant on the sea conditions.

Nobody can really predict what those sea conditions will be like on your cruise. You are the only one who knows how much movement you are comfortable with, and what level of movement will cause discomfort.

One time I recall it was so rocky the balcony door jumped off it's track and stranded me out side. All was good when DW came along and called maintenance. I had a drink, I had a book, I had no where I needed to be.

On another cruise, I can only recall smooth seas and we noticed no difference in movement between an aft and mid ship cabins we've had.

Edited by WpgCruise

We will have an aft C1 cabin in July 2016 on deck 9 on the Constellation.

We cannot wait for the huge balcony with two loungers, table and chairs. Love the wake especially at night. As others said ,it will be both covered and open.

Last time on the Constellation we were in Aqua on deck 9 midship. The balcony was normal size with a overhang. We got a little sun very late in the afternoon but we were sailing in Jan. it was fine. I would rather have the aft balcony for a cruise in the Med.

You should be absolutely fine in an aft cabin in the Med in September. It isn't until the end of October that the weather really begins to break and even then you are not talking really rough seas.

We love aft cabins, it is so relaxing watching the wake of the ship with a glass of wine in your hand.....

I presume you are booked on the cruise on Sept 29 2016. We are interested in that one too so I recognized the itinerary. I know this was not your concern and sorry to heap more thoughts on you but......

I just checked on a site we are not allowed to mention. I would really suggest you switch to aft cabin 8170 (it's open as of now) and get away from being directly under the sunset bar. There are reports that deck 9 afts are subject to noise from dragging tables and chairs by patrons and early/late cleanings.

We have been in a deck 7 aft on Connie and loved it. Great rooms!!

Have a great cruise.

PL

I presume you are booked on the cruise on Sept 29 2016. We are interested in that one too so I recognized the itinerary. I know this was not your concern and sorry to heap more thoughts on you but......

I just checked on a site we are not allowed to mention. I would really suggest you switch to aft cabin 8170 (it's open as of now) and get away from being directly under the sunset bar. There are reports that deck 9 afts are subject to noise from dragging tables and chairs by patrons and early/late cleanings.

We have been in a deck 7 aft on Connie and loved it. Great rooms!!

Have a great cruise.

PL

We were in 8170 on Millennium. Great cabin, huge balcony. 1/3 is covered from the cabin balcony above, 1/3 covered with a canvas top, and 1/3 open to the sun. You get the best of all worlds. :)

thanks for all the positive feedback...i'm feeling better about my choice...haven't decided if i want to move down to deck 8 ...still thinking about the pros and cons

There are NO cons to moving down to Deck 8..... :eek:

September in the Med can still be hot. I would not pick a cabin without a shaded overhang.

For the first time, we had an aft balcony on Century on our Singapore to Dubai cruise and we couldn't use it much at all. The cruise was in late March, early April, but it is hot in Singapore, India and Oman that time of the year.

Also, you don't get much wind in an aft cabin. The breeze would have been nice in the heat.

We have an aft cabin on our Sept 2016 Alaska cruise, where the chill is more of an issue, so no breeze will be good.

Sounds like the OP is on the 9/26/16 sailing. That's the overnight in Dubrovnik & Malta.

Last words on this from me.... There's a reason why:

1. All deck 9 C1s are available (except the one you booked)

2. All deck 7 C1s are gone

3. All deck 8 C1s are gone EXCEPT 8170 (yes, it's still open)

I would not want to be directly below the bar. IMHO, nothing positive about that.

Enjoy your cruise.

PL

ok.. so you all convinced me!!...just changed my cabin from 9201 to 8170..I just wish it wasn't more than a year away..but, more time to enjoy the planning... which is half the fun, right??...thanks for the great advice everyone!!

This is going to be our first cruise on an M Class ship. We have sailed Mercury and four of the five S Class ships. Most of our cruises have been on RCCL (40+) and mainly get AFT cabins on Radiance class ships because of the wonderfully deep balconies. We were excited when we saw that we could get the same on Constellation.

My question is what is the 'structure' like and the balcony railing. The reason I ask is because we bring a hammock (or two) and string it/them up (yes, the cabin attendant knows and usually the hotel director also).

Anyone ever notice if there are areas that we can get the rope around the structure and be able to tie the other end off on the balcony rail? it is so wonderful to lay in the hammock and gently sway as the ship is sailing to the next port of call (with an adult beverage in hand).

Thanks

Geez I have to love this forum. A hammock! I would never have thought of that--just added it to my packing list.

Anyway we have the corner FV aft cabin on deck 7 for September. We also had the Deck 7 Aft cabin right next to this last November on the Summit which is also M-class. I will say this:

Yes, we did feel movement. It was not just the rolling movement but twerking as well. We had friends with the same AFT cabin on deck 7 but on the starboard side and they felt they could not sleep at all and were pretty cranky about it. Those in mid-ship cabins were not feeling anything at all.

For myself, I will admit to being woken up every now and again, but I was sailing around the Caribbean instead of dealing with snow, so I was okay with it. It was such a beautiful cabin!! OMG! So we basically booked it again. I think rough seas and movement is an issue of luck of the draw. Hopefully it will be fine this September.

As for noise, It was a very good move to go down to deck 8. I will say from deck 7, I never heard any chair scraping. When seated on the balcony, I could hear the music from the Seaview bar in the evening although it stopped by maybe 1030pm. There was this great Latin guitarist, so I actually sat on the balcony in order to hear it. From Deck 7, it was just the right volume.

Once I went back into the cabin, there was no noise whatsoever.

As for breeze, when the ship was in port, most times there was no air movement whatsoever, so it was very stuffy and not pleasant to sit there. It depended on which way the breeze was coming from. When the ship was sailing, it was always beautiful. This time we have the corner, so maybe the problem will be too much wind. Shall see. Willing to chance it. Those AFT cabins are special.

Where did you get that thing hanging off the chair in the first picture? I assume its to dry clothes

We used to have a catalogue company in the UK called Betterware- I bought it from their door to door rep.

I've not heard of them for a long time, but maybe Amazon might do them?

I use it for drying my 'undies' as S class ships don't have a line in the shower, unlike M class.

Geez I have to love this forum. A hammock! I would never have thought of that--just added it to my packing list.

Don't forget to also pack heavy 'line' to support it.....and be sure that the structure is good. We take them down when we leave the cabin so that if the attendant (or whoever) needs to clean anything out there they aren't in the way. But we're usually lounging out there when the attendant is in the cabin cleaning and they just think it's the neatest thing.