New Room Service Menu??

bernie5

I guess the obvious question would be will HAL follow other lines with the addition of charges for some items (I'm thinking MDR menu availability or breakfast beyond "Continental"). Or will they go the Princess route with a very limited room service menu unless in a suite?

I'm doubting with the cruise fares we are seeing and the cost cutting necessary that it remain as it is now.

I guess the obvious question would be will HAL follow other lines with the addition of charges for some items (I'm thinking MDR menu availability or breakfast beyond "Continental"). Or will they go the Princess route with a very limited room service menu unless in a suite?

I'm doubting with the cruise fares we are seeing and the cost cutting necessary that it remain as it is now.

Considering that the brand spanking new Koningsdam brochure says "As always, complimentary In-Room Dining is available around the clock." (Page 7, right hand column) - my guess is that they're not planning a change. It's one of Holland America's differentiating features.

Of course, I could be reading it wrong, and they're going to charge you, but compliment you. "Good morning, sir! Here's your breakfast. May I take the liberty of saying that you really make that HAL robe look good! That'll be four dollars." ;)

Of course, I could be reading it wrong, and they're going to charge you, but compliment you. "Good morning, sir! Here's your breakfast. May I take the liberty of saying that you really make that HAL robe look good! That'll be four dollars." ;)

Another possibility is that the new menu items will compliment whatever you are wearing should you happen to spill. I'm sure HAL would think that is something that has monetary value. ;)

Considering that the brand spanking new Koningsdam brochure says "As always, complimentary In-Room Dining is available around the clock." (Page 7, right hand column) - my guess is that they're not planning a change. It's one of Holland America's differentiating features.

Too funny- I've seen many on board that shouldn't have been out in the robes. At least they could tie them securely.

Princess has in room dining available (if you call an Egg McMuffin dining) :)

My last room service breakfast (May 13) had a much more extensive menu than the previous last one (Sept. '14).

HAL seems to be going in the right direction here.

Fabulous. This is one area where HAL does stand out vs. the competition, be it Celebrity, RCL, or NCL, IMO.

This is one area where HAL does stand out vs. the competition, be it Celebrity, RCL, or NCL, IMO.

Even better than Oceania where I couldn't get room service breakfast, even though I was in a balcony cabin, similar to the HAL Vista suites.

I love that HAL allows me to have a full, hot, room service breakfast on that last morning, when I need to get the carry-ons packed, and just don't have the time to go scooting around to get a meal on the table.

Too funny- I've seen many on board that shouldn't have been out in the robes. At least they could tie them securely.

Princess has in room dining available (if you call an Egg McMuffin dining) :)

Yes, but princess has much longer lido hours so that's the difference. If they were to cut on hal an adjustment would have to be made. I don't think it will happen.

Bolding is mine...Thanks again for the good laugh again today..:D:DI needed that

This time did not take a sip before reading your post..LOL

P.S. Both my DH & my Dog are snoring at the same time here in my computer room.. At least this forum is not boring..

Edited by serendipity1499

Even better than Oceania where I couldn't get room service breakfast, even though I was in a balcony cabin, similar to the HAL Vista suites.

I love that HAL allows me to have a full, hot, room service breakfast on that last morning, when I need to get the carry-ons packed, and just don't have the time to go scooting around to get a meal on the table.

Me too.

• 2 months later...

Hi

New to HAL

Can anyone tell me what kind of choices are offered for room service, especially breakfast?

It may seem like I'm micromanaging -- we live room service breakfasts on the balcony

Tried the website and thread search - hope you don't mind the hijack

Love Celebrity breakfast

Princess mc muffin so yuck

Ncl charges now? Haven't tried them

Oceania lovely but only continental for regular balcony cabins

Thanks

Linda

Hi

New to HAL

Can anyone tell me what kind of choices are offered for room service, especially breakfast?

It may seem like I'm micromanaging -- we live room service breakfasts on the balcony

Love Celebrity breakfast

Thanks

Linda

It's pretty much a full menu- hot foods included. Google Holland America Room Service Menu and you'll find links to the menus

Frank is right---it's a more than reasonably full menu for the basic room service breakfast.

If there's something you want and it's not on the menu, it can be written in and delivered, if it's delivered while the dining room is open.

Even without that, though, there are various incarnations of eggs, and egg substitutes. Various meats, breads, cereals are all there.

Just remember to check off whatever condiments you want. Cream & sugar for your coffee? Check those boxes. Butter or margarine on your English muffin? Check that off, too. Prefer peanut butter on your toast? Write it in (can't remember if that was added to the check-off).

Hi

New to HAL

Love Celebrity breakfast

Thanks

Linda

New Breakfast Cabin Menu

Preferred Time Frame

6 AM - 6:30 AM; 6:30 - 7 AM; 7 AM - 7:30 AM; 7:30 AM - 8 AM; 8 AM - 8:30 AM; 8:30 AM - 9 AM; 9 AM - 9:30 AM; 9:30 AM - 10 AM

Juices

Grapefruit; Orange:; Cranberry; V-8; Prune, Tomato

Fresh Fruit & Yogurt

Half Grapefruit; Sliced Bananas; Sliced Oranges; Mixed Fruit; Seasonal Melons; Stewed Prunes; Plain Yogurt; Fruit Yogurt; Greek Yogurt

Bakery

English Muffin(1); White Toast(2); Wheat Toast(2); Rye Toast(2); Danish(1); Croissant(2); Blueberry Muffin(1); Bran Muffin(1); Bagel (1)

Cereals

Corn Flakes; Special K; Cheerios; Raisin Bran; Granola; Fruit Loops; Frosted Flakes; Rice Krispies; Shredded Wheat

With: Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Soy Milk

Two Eggs

Scrambled; Sunnyside Up; Over Easy; Poached; Hard Boiled

Omelettes

Cheese; Ham & Cheese; Vegetable & Cheese

Egg Substitute

Scrambled; Cheese Omelette; Vegetable & Cheese Omelette

Egg White

Scrambles; Cheese Omelette; Vegetable & Cheese Omelette

Sides

Ham Slices(2); Sausage Links(2); Bacon Strips(2); Veggie Links(2); Turkey Links(2); Turkey Bacon(2)

Condiments

Assorted Jams; Half & Half; Honey; Butter; Margarine; Cream Cheese; Peanut Butter; Ketchup; Tabasco; Nutella; Orange Marmalade

Beverages

Regular Coffee; Decaf Coffee; Tea; Decaf Tea; Hot Chocolate; Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Soy Milk

If you can wait until the main dining room opens -- usually 7:30 on port days and 8 on sea days, you can write in anything you want like Eggs Benedict. Waffles, Chocolate croissants, etc.

New Breakfast Cabin Menu

Preferred Time Frame

6 AM - 6:30 AM; 6:30 - 7 AM; 7 AM - 7:30 AM; 7:30 AM - 8 AM; 8 AM - 8:30 AM; 8:30 AM - 9 AM; 9 AM - 9:30 AM; 9:30 AM - 10 AM

Juices

Fresh Fruit & Yogurt

Half Grapefruit; Sliced Bananas; Sliced Oranges; Mixed Fruit; Seasonal Melons; Stewed Prunes; Plain Yogurt; Fruit Yogurt; Greek Yogurt

Bakery

English Muffin(1); White Toast(2); Wheat Toast(2); Rye Toast(2); Danish(1); Croissant(2); Blueberry Muffin(1); Bran Muffin(1); Bagel (1)

Cereals

Corn Flakes; Special K; Cheerios; Raisin Bran; Granola; Fruit Loops; Frosted Flakes; Rice Krispies; Shredded Wheat

Two Eggs

Omelettes

Egg Substitute

Egg White

Sides

Ham Slices(2); Sausage Links(2); Bacon Strips(2); Veggie Links(2); Turkey Links(2); Turkey Bacon(2)

Condiments

Assorted Jams; Half & Half; Honey; Butter; Margarine; Cream Cheese; Peanut Butter; Ketchup; Tabasco; Nutella; Orange Marmalade

Beverages

Regular Coffee; Decaf Coffee; Tea; Decaf Tea; Hot Chocolate; Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Soy Milk

If you can wait until the main dining room opens -- usually 7:30 on port days and 8 on sea days, you can write in anything you want like Eggs Benedict. Waffles, Chocolate croissants, etc.

Sure I can wait for waffles, eggs Benedict

Thanks

I also googled

Don't know why I didn't think of that - I google everything

I've gotten addicted to cruise critic I guess and the HAL website

Linda

New Breakfast Cabin Menu

Preferred Time Frame

Juices

Fresh Fruit & Yogurt

Bakery

Cereals

Two Eggs

Omelettes

Egg Substitute

Egg White

Sides

Condiments

Beverages

[/b][/size][/font][/size][/font]

Just for clarification, the above menu was the new menu two years ago when Tobasco was added. I scanned this Breakfast Card in May 2013 and again in July 2015:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Room-Service-Breakfast.pdf

Our HAL PCC tried the new proposed Breakfast Menu on the Statendam this year and reported that it was reduced in size. Omelets were removed and replaced with "American Breakfast" of scrambled eggs. Omelets were only available through the Room Service Menu.

I don't remember any other posts of the new menu in use on other HAL ships yet.

We have long thought that HAL room service breakfasts were the best among all the mass market lines and even better then on some of the luxury lines. Besides offering a pretty full breakfast menu, HAL has also learned how to deliver hot breakfast that is still hot! Plates are put on pre-heated metallic hot plates and its a great idea. On Celebrity we get pretty good menu offerings in Aqua Class (the menu is expanded from the basic menu) but eggs will often arrive cold.

Hank

We have long thought that HAL room service breakfasts were the best among all the mass market lines and even better then on some of the luxury lines. Besides offering a pretty full breakfast menu, HAL has also learned how to deliver hot breakfast that is still hot! Plates are put on pre-heated metallic hot plates and its a great idea. On Celebrity we get pretty good menu offerings in Aqua Class (the menu is expanded from the basic menu) but eggs will often arrive cold.

Hank

Yes Celebrity Concierge/Aqua breakfast menu is terrific with waffles, blueberry pancakes, corned beef hash, omelettes, etc and arrived on time but warm not hot but I was happy [emoji41]