Would you pay for a better boarding experience?

HUNKY

As mentioned by Pierlesscruisers on another thread, "I don't know how it is in other cities, but that's the case in Seattle, the terminal is owned by the city." As such, waiting areas at the terminals are not that nice, including the Elite lounge.

I could see that the owners of the terminals, and the cruise lines themselves, could make a profit, and delight their guests, by offering and charging for truly luxurious embarkation lounges. Similar to how airlines have clubs which are paid for with yearly dues, or by flying first class.

Access to these lounges is available to ALL, but for a price. If you are traveling in a suite, complimentary access. If you are Elite, $30 each per visit, Platinum, $50 each per visit. One time access for anyone, $75 per person per visit, if space is available. Your "perk" is a heavy discount. Charging for access would help to reduce crowding which sometimes occurs on cruises with many upper tier passengers.

Of course, the old Elite/Platinum/Suite lounges would have to be greatly upgraded. Well designed spaces with comfortable furniture, hot and cold snacks from local restaurants, unlimited alcoholic and other beverages, free high speed Wi Fi and charging stations. They could call it the Sanctuary Lounge. These guests would board first, after any handicapped guests. Other guests would then board based upon their tier level.

Even though my partner and I are lowly Gold on Princess, I can see paying for such a wonderful start to our cruise. Especially, if we are arriving very early to the port.

So, would YOU pay for a better boarding experience?

I don't see the need for it either. We normally walk right on when we arrive so would not spend the money.

Yup, agree here. We generally have a leisurely morning exploring nearby, lunch and eventually head over to the ship around 2PM or a little later. By that time the lines are gone and it's practically a walk-on boarding process.

I suppose we're already paying a fee since we purchase lunch ashore so having a fee-based high-end lounge wouldn't be worth it. For us, our process is just so much more relaxed.

Nope. Don't see the need. If you want to avoid waiting, arrive at the pier at the requested time.

With very few exceptions, which were out of Princess's control, I've had really good boarding experiences.

Besides, if you were going to pay extra for a "better" experience, who would you pay? Not Princess. They don't own the terminals.

I would not pay extra.

Though - if the cruise lines want to do something, they can work with the pier to provide something more. For example, one year when I was going out of Vancouver on Princess, so was Crystal. I was able to peak into the area that Crystal provided which had goodies, red carpet, bottled water, etc..... It looked a lot nicer than the area that Princess was using. I have no doubt they went the extra mile when they had only one ship going out of Vancouver. So at the end of the day, they picked up all of their items and put it back down the next day they were at the pier.

Edited by Coral

Unlike airports or luxury car dealers where there is high usage of the amenities like waiting rooms / lounges I think cruise ship docks see what occupancy for a couple days a week. Seems like terribly low ROI to spend money and hope to charge or lure more business.

Personally take the money and give your ship new spiffy coat of paint or etc. will yield a much better experience IMHO.

We've already paid our dues for a better boarding experience with Princess, after more than a decade of loyal cruising, and also booking suites. So - we should be getting the perq we presently enjoy. We've paid quite a bit for the privilege already, no plans to pay in addition to our cruise fare.

Yup, agree here. We generally have a leisurely morning exploring nearby, lunch and eventually head over to the ship around 2PM or a little later. By that time the lines are gone and it's practically a walk-on boarding process.

I suppose we're already paying a fee since we purchase lunch ashore so having a fee-based high-end lounge wouldn't be worth it. For us, our process is just so much more relaxed.

Agreed - have never had an issue with the boarding experience; always arrived between 1 and 2 and walked right on.

Nope. Agree with those that say don't go so early. We'd much rather stay in our hotel and have a slow breakfast and watch the early birds hustle for their cabs. When we arrive at the port,many are still there in the waiting room and are looking bored and irritated that they have been sitting so long. ;) So...why hurry?

We generally do the same; the only downside is that we miss embarkation lunch in the MDR :(.

If the MDR is a priority for you, then I see the point of arriving earlier.

We find the boarding afternoon busy enough with a quick bite at another venue, a welcome onboard drink, muster, unpacking etc that we skip the more "formal" lunch.

No I would rather pay for an extended stay in the embarkation city in a hotel or tour and arrive a little later when all the anxious passengers with their nose pressed up against the door have boarded and the buffet is cleared out of the masses. To me time in an embarkation city can be more enjoyable and more entertaining than a lounge no matter how up scale.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Hello again, OP here.

I figured that most CC'ers would not be interested in a "paid" lounge experience, regardless of tier level.

So, does that mean that the current system of a separate complimentary lounge for Elite/Platinum/Suite has little value? By that I mean, you avail yourself of the lounge since it is offered at no cost, but would be unwilling to pay for it. Further, if Princess were to eliminate the complimentary EPS lounge would you be horribly upset?

ps - I don't work for Princess, or any cruise line, but I do work in the hospitality business.

Edited by HUNKY

Hello again, OP here.

I figured that most CC'ers would not be interested in a "paid" lounge experience, regardless of tier level.

So, does that mean that the current system of a separate complimentary lounge for Elite/Platinum/Suite has little value? By that I mean, you avail yourself of the lounge since it is offered at no cost, but would be unwilling to pay for it. Further, if Princess were to eliminate the complimentary EPS lounge would you be horribly upset?

ps - I don't work for Princess, or any cruise line, but I do work in the hospitality business.

The last few times we have cruised we have entered the terminal and within a few minutes boarding started so we never had a chance to even see the lounge. That was in Venice/LA/Ft Lauderdale/SEA to name a few.

I would not care. When we have used it, its been so crowded its uncomfortable. :(