New To Princess

SurferJoe57

I'm new to Princess - booked on the 8 Day 19 Dec Emerald Princess cruise to the Dutch West Indies.

A few questions - and please direct me to existing posts if these have been repeatedly answered:

- Does Princess make any recognition of other CCL Corp reward levels? HAL took my Carnival Platinum and granted a "one star" status, which was helpful.

- How does one book specialty restaurants online in advance - if that's possible?

- Any other advice is much appreciated.

I'm new to Princess - booked on the 8 Day 19 Dec Emerald Princess cruise to the Dutch West Indies.

A few questions - and please direct me to existing posts if these have been repeatedly answered:

- Does Princess make any recognition of other CCL Corp reward levels? No

- How does one book specialty restaurants online in advance - if that's possible? You have to book on board. Not usually a problem. We have walked up (no res) and been seated immediately.

See above

Once boarding starts you can go directly to your cabin and drop off your stuff. Then head to whichever MDR is open (if you board before 1:30)

Edited by JF - retired RRT

I'm not aware of Princess giving credits for having cruised on HAL or Carnival. Unlike Carnival where you can make advance reservations, with Princess it's best to plan in advance which speciality restaurants you want to go to and the first thing on the ship is to call the DINE line as these restaurants can fill up quickly.

Other food options....The Executive Chief's dinner, many courses with wine, prepared by the chief and food from my experience melts in your mouth. You also need to call for this ASAP as it's limited as to how many people can attend. They will contact you with the date and time. Be prepared to spend 3 hrs., plus you will receive a photo taken by the ships photographer.

You don't say what kind of stateroom that you will have but if you have a balcony the Balcony dinner and the Utilmate Balcolny Breakfast are special and nice to experience.

Any other questions please ask and enjoy your cruise.

Tom😎

- Does Princess make any recognition of other CCL Corp reward levels? HAL took my Carnival Platinum and granted a "one star" status, which was helpful.

- How does one book specialty restaurants online in advance - if that's possible?

1.)No.

2.)Cannot book in advance.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Hi Surfer Joe! Welcome to the Princess Forum! :)

While you can't book the specialty restaurants in advance, it's easy enough once on board. Just call DINE Line.

~ The IC (International Café) is open with tasty treats 24 hours a day.

~ Once you board the ship, you can go DIRECTLY to your cabin.

~ Shore Excursions can be booked on line and you don't have pay for them until you're on the ship ... unless you wish to do so.

Emerald Princess is one of our very favorite ships! Look forward to having a wonderful time! :D

LuLu

1. You will automatically have a Princess Captain's Circle # and could be eligible for past passenger discounts.

2. You don't book specialty restaurants in advance... :( Just call the DINE line after boarding or go directly to one of the restaurants to make a reservation.

3. Unlike HAL, Princess does not pre-authorize any amount on your credit card when you fill out the Personalizer and print your boarding pass. Any holds are made during the cruise if there's a balance due.

4. Unlike HAL, when you book an excursion, you do not pre-pay although you have the option to do that. Your tour tickets will be delivered to your cabin at embarkation and will be charged to your onboard folio at that time. You have the option to cancel at any time. A notice will be in the Patter of which tours are closing that day. Just drop off your tickets in the box at the Tour Excursion Desk. No need to wait for it to be open. There will be a form in your cabin if you want to book tours. Just fill it out and drop it off in the box.

5. Unlike HAL, the Princess buffet doesn't close from 6am-11pm. You can always get a full meal at any time during the day. However, unlike HAL, the Princess room service menu is somewhat limited. It's adequate but you can't order off the dining room menu unless you're in a full suite. Just a different way of handling food.

6. HAL has nothing like the International Cafe. It's open 24/7 and you'll probably love it. :)

If you are active military or a veteran you can qualify for the military benefit OBC. For your cruise it would be $100 OBC. It is per qualified passenger, max two per cabin. So if two are qualified in the same cabin then two $100 credits. Look here: http://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/#.VZcBeFI9UgQ

Also, like other Carnival Corporation lines you can get an OBC stockholder's benefit if you own at least 100 shares of Carnival Corp. stock. Look here: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit.

On Princess these OBC's are stackable along with any other promo OBC's you may receive.

The only HAL benefit you received was being able to eat lunch in the MDR on embarkation day and on the sea day their MDR is reserved for the Mariner's brunch. On Princess everyone is entitled to eat lunch in the MDR on embarkation and all sea days.

As others have commented above you will definitely see that Princess has much less restrictive opening times and much greater selection at its alternative dining venues. A more than fair trade off for waiting until boarding to reserve (and pay for) the specialty restaurants.

(You will be issued Princess' blue 'first timer's' cruise card rather than HAL's '(one) Star Mariner' card but nobody will notice or care--unless you are among the fanciful who wear their cruise cards on a lanyard 'round their neck).

Thanks very much, some great information, very much looking forwards to my first Princess.

We're booked in a Balcony (BD) room aft on the Baja deck - is the Balcony breakfast/dinner a special treat for balcony cabins?

I'm very appreciative of my CCL Corporation Shareholder Benefit and will, of course file for my OBC for this cruise; thanks for the information for veterans (31 years); they definitely buried that. Anecdotally, Carnival offers a "military rate" on occasion which was about on par with early rates, but close in than 6 months.

For the poster that noted that CCL Corporation does not own Princess - Sir, with all due respect your statement is erroneous. CCL Corporation owns Carnival, Cunard, Holland America, Seabourn, Aida, Coasta, P&O (Pacific and Oriental), and Fathom, in addition to Princess. I'd have to read my latest shareholder's report but I'm confident in those brands. http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/

If anyone knows this answer, I'd be appreciative: I'll note there's an Beverage Package for approximately $57 daily - is there a restriction requiring everyone in the same stateroom to purchase a package (which is the rule on Carnival) ?

Sincerely,

Surfer Joe

Edited by SurferJoe57

For the poster that noted that CCL Corporation does not own Princess - Sir, with all due respect your statement is erroneous. CCL Corporation owns Carnival, Cunard, Holland America, Seabourn, Aida, Coasta, P&O (Pacific and Oriental), and Fathom, in addition to Princess. I'd have to read my latest shareholder's report but I'm confident in those brands. http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/

Poster said correctly: Carnival Cruise Line does not own Princess.

If anyone knows this answer, I'd be appreciative: I'll note there's an Beverage Package for approximately $57 daily - is there a restriction requiring everyone in the same stateroom to purchase a package (which is the rule on Carnival) ?

Sincerely,

Surfer Joe

No "everyone must buy the beverage package" restriction on Princess. If only one person wants it, that is fine.

If you use then package option to purchase a bottle of wine in the dining room for 40% off, then you can share that bottle with anyone you want.

No "everyone must buy the beverage package" restriction on Princess. If only one person wants it, that is fine.

If you use then package option to purchase a bottle of wine in the dining room for 40% off, then you can share that bottle with anyone you want.

Great information, again thanks.

And I'll stand corrected on the 'who owns who.' We used to make the same distinction on "the US Marine Corps being part of the Navy." The Marine Corps is not part of the Navy, though it falls under the Department of the Navy. Same distinction here; Carnival Cruise Line doesn't own Princess; but Carnival Corporation does. (and I'll note I was a Marine for 31 years).

If you are interested in reserving Sanctuary for the cruise, go immediately there as soon as you board to select your chairs and make your reservation, as they often sell-out very quickly.

Some just find it an easier way to keep track of their cruise card and make no such pretentions.

And some of us find a lanyard very easy to keep track of. Since I don't carry a wallet onboard, the card doesn't rattle around in my pocket, where it can be forgotten in a senior moment if I change my pants and exit the cabin. Harder to misplace on a crowded desktop, and my coffee card goes in a holder on the same lanyard. It's certainly how I carry the card when wearing a bathing suit or pocketless gym shorts. Anyway, since I've won a jillion of them at trivia, might as well get some use out of them. They taste better than the champagne they give away, too.

And since I've been using lanyards since I've been lowly gold, I'm not sure how pretentious it is - certainly, IMO, less show-offy than including an Elite insignia in your sig line. But wearing my card on the special souvenir gold-colored lanyard I won at cumulative trivia on the Royal's Inaugural TA? That's pretentious….though nobody notices.

Edited by shepp