Seat Savers / Chair Hogs

Mark-Sheffield

Exactly, P&O should enforce their deck chair and theatre seat 'no reserve policies.'

I guess P and O are hoping that they are attracting the sort of people that

a-----have common sense

b-----have some manners

c-----know how to behave in company.

It seems a very great shame but some people do not know how to behave, so while they keep on coming on cruise ships , if not policed by the ship it will happen again.

How about a note in Horizon that people have been thrown off ships in the past for arguing about "saved" sunbeds.

Would that make the one brain celled little darlings think about doing it in the future.

Do not wish to experience Hogs or Yobs? Book Cunard :D ;)

Have to say that on our recent QM2 TA we had two good deck days and the attendants were very prompt with pulling towels off 'saved' chairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just out of interest whatever is a "Red Top" :confused:

On the Cunard key card is a band of colour denoting the status of the holder.

Red being a first time cruiser, and thereby the holder receives the generic name of a Red Top, which is strange because the red strip is down the side.

Have no idea how, or where, the name Red Top started life. However, it is possible other CC members may know.

Absolutely not necessary as there's always plenty available on the Grills Deck. Plus the attendants will bring you iced water or orange juice. They also supply a selection of sun creams etc., all free.

Stewart

In most cases, that sun cream is not free - you have definitely paid for it 😄

I guess P and O are hoping that they are attracting the sort of people that

a-----have common sense

b-----have some manners

c-----know how to behave in company.

It seems a very great shame but some people do not know how to behave, so while they keep on coming on cruise ships , if not policed by the ship it will happen again.

How about a note in Horizon that people have been thrown off ships in the past for arguing about "saved" sunbeds.

Would that make the one brain celled little darlings think about doing it in the future.

Very sadly I have to report that in recent times there has been a high quota of passengers on P&O who have lacked all three. :(

dgs 1956

Port Royal has never had a good opinion of those who cruise with P&O but at least he now calls them Cretins a few months ago he was calling them Chavs.

Perhaps now that Cunard Prices are cheaper the Cretins/Chavs will migrate to that company to appreciate their alleged higher standards and further their own social standards.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers

On the Aurora last summer I saw somethings that made me smile about the practice of saving sun loungers.

An elderly couple went along a row of sun loungers and removed items such as books etc that had been placed on loungers to save them. By the time they walked past me they had a carry bag full of books :eek:

I asked them what they were doing and they said that the books have been on the loungers for nearly an hour and that the owners may have left them by mistake :rolleyes:. With a smile they walked off saying that they were going to hand them in to receptions as lost items. I would not condone such action, but it was so funny to watch.

If you find it unacceptable, just report it via the triangle sign above.

I don't find your comments unacceptable but I would not quite word it quite so strongly myself.

Just to put the record straight the majority of people that I have met on P&O over the years have been a pleasure to meet with only one or two being objectionable. However in recent years the number of unpleasant, ill mannered, inconsiderate and totally selfish passengers that I have met has risen considerably and that covers all age groups and all social standings.

Perhaps this is just a sad reflection of how things have changed in the U.K. in general.

Edited by AchileLauro

I don't find your comments unacceptable but I would not quite word it quite so strongly myself.

Just to put the record straight the majority of people that I have met on P&O over the years have been a pleasure to meet with only one or two being objectionable. However in recent years the number of unpleasant, ill mannered, inconsiderate and totally selfish passengers that I have met has risen considerably and that covers all age groups and all social standings.

Perhaps this is just a sad reflection of how things have changed in the U.K. in general.

Well put - Thank you

With the increase if "said" passengers, there will come a time when the exodus from P&O of those noticing a "difference" is complete, ensuring a ship full of "said" passengers. The mind boggles. :eek:

I have respect for anyone who has good manners, is considerate of others and observes the accepted social mores of cruising and have enjoyed the company of many lovely people from different walks of life on both Cunard and P&O.

On the other hand I have little respect for those who make sweeping derogatory generalisations about groups of people and makes judgements about others based on accent/where they live /their occupation or perceived status in society. Abhorrence of bad behaviour is understandable but that isn't restricted to income or what someone may have paid for a cruise.

I find such pretentious, superior attitudes offensive and would hate to spend much time in the company of those with such views. I do accept there are some whose behaviour is unacceptable - I wasn't too impressed by the guy with baseball cap, sleeveless vest, shorts, socks and trainers who was busy taking a video of the string quartet on formal night on the QE either! Wonder how much he paid for his cruise?

I certainly don't agree with people " reserving" sun loungers. It is a selfish attitude that is becoming more apparent in other ways on the ships too ( like reserving seats in theatres, buffet etc)

But what I also struggle with is the apparent obsession to be right by the pool! There are places to sunbathe /lounge all over the ship and in my opinion give a far far more pleasant experience than being packed like sardines (over cooked ones at that!) in a noisy environment.

We have to go close to the pool, I have two young children and one of those is disabled, however I am not willing to reserve a sunbed to get close to the pool - we will just sit on the edge of the pool etc and I watch how long sunbeds are 'reserved' for before deciding to move the items. We also share two sunbeds between 4 of us too.

We always have a balcony which is great when the kids go to kids club, but they get bored sitting there and so want to be by the pool, as we do too at times.

Edited by winniesbestm8

We have to go close to the pool, I have two young children and one of those is disabled, however I am not willing to reserve a sunbed to get close to the pool - we will just sit on the edge of the pool etc and I watch how long sunbeds are 'reserved' for before deciding to move the items. We also share two sunbeds between 4 of us too.

We always have a balcony which is great when the kids go to kids club, but they get bored sitting there and so want to be by the pool, as we do too at times.

This seems to be exactly the right attitude. It is often those without children who hog the loungers and spoil it for people like yourself who just want to be close enough to supervise their children whilst in the pool, which of course is as it should be.

On the Cunard key card is a band of colour denoting the status of the holder.

Red being a first time cruiser, and thereby the holder receives the generic name of a Red Top, which is strange because the red strip is down the side.

Have no idea how, or where, the name Red Top started life. However, it is possible other CC members may know.

Then I guess you decide if they are allowed back on for a 2nd cruise with Cunard. Maybe Hogs and Yobs should read Hogs, Yobs and Snobs.

During our cruises with Pando we have met many fantastic people. They have come from all walks of life. However, during our last two cruises the behaviour of some passengers were a little suspect. I don't expect on a formal night for a couple to arrive at the dinner table wearing shorts and tee shirts. When a waiter pointed out that it was a formal night they just tossed abuse at him.

I pointed out that abusing the waiter was unacceptable behaviour as he was just doing his job. I then got abuse from them. I informed the couple that if they continue to abuse the waiter I would report them. They got up and left the dining room, we never saw them in the dining room again.

During our cruises with Pando we have met many fantastic people. They have come from all walks of life. However, during our last two cruises the behaviour of some passengers were a little suspect. I don't expect on a formal night for a couple to arrive at the dinner table wearing shorts and tee shirts. When a waiter pointed out that it was a formal night they just tossed abuse at him.

I pointed out that abusing the waiter was unacceptable behaviour as he was just doing his job. I then got abuse from them. I informed the couple that if they continue to abuse the waiter I would report them. They got up and left the dining room, we never saw them in the dining room again.

Good for you! I expect it made for an uncomfortable moment but I think you handled that very well and I imagine the waiter appreciated your support to.

On QM2 TA recently a group of three people on the promenade deck, on one of the 2 rare sunny days, were sitting on three chairs in the sun next to us and had one in the shade reserved with their tops and bags. One woman went and felt her husband's forehead and asked 'did he need to move to the chair in the shade?' Meanwhile others were walking futilely around looking for somewhere to sit. Common decency should tell them that its the WRONG thing to do 😔

Then I guess you decide if they are allowed back on for a 2nd cruise with Cunard. Maybe Hogs and Yobs should read Hogs, Yobs and Snobs.

There were an awful lot of us common 'red top' cruisers on the TA we did on 21 June. 'Snobs' be very afraid 😉

If they actually arrived at the table dressed in that way, then the Maitre D' and the staff who are always at the door to welcome diners were at fault as well.

If they actually arrived at the table dressed in that way, then the Maitre D' and the staff who are always at the door to welcome diners were at fault as well.

I agree the Maître D should be the one to police the dress code.

We saw a chap at breakfast on the Britannia in the MDR wearing sports and a muscle shirt. He really looked out of place with the rest of the diners and his family.

Shorts and polo shirt, or shorts and a T-shirt with sleeves would have been okay.

I wonder why Port Royal lowers him/herself to be on a P and O forum. Any time they have been on here it has been to ridicule P and O cruisers. No wonder I avoid Cunard if they have snobs like this. :(

He/She is just trying to cause trouble and argument. Sad really. The fact is the moderators should remove them from the Forum.