Seat Savers / Chair Hogs

Mark-Sheffield

One single rude and obnoxious person on a Cunard ship? - I'll settle for that anytime :D

Best not to declare how many hundreds you'll find on another well known line :rolleyes:

We've cruised with Princess, Celebrity, P&O, Fred Olsen, RCCI and Cunard and I must be honest and say that the unfriendliest ship with the rudest people was WITHOUT DOUBT, QM2. I have no axe to grind and this is a genuine opinion.

Have been on Thomson, Carnival, RCI, and Oceania first time on P & O in four weeks time, havent really encountered any obnoxiousness except for some rather large Americans on the Carnival in the Caribbean!

From all posts it is proven that obnoxiousness is a subjective point of view, based on personal acceptable standards, being where the bar is set.

It appears, if say, person number one finds person number two obnoxious and rude, others may find person number two's presence and persona acceptable, same being likeminded as person number two.

Add to this the premis, that person number two, together with likeminded people, are genuinely not knowing they are obnoxious, and you have a strange mix.

But then, totally deluded person number two, together with likeminded people, condemns person number one of being rude and obnoxious. The saga continues. :rolleyes:

From all posts it is proven that obnoxiousness is a subjective point of view, based on personal acceptable standards, being where the bar is set.

It appears, if say, person number one finds person number two obnoxious and rude, others may find person number two's presence and persona acceptable, same being likeminded as person number two.

Add to this the premis, that person number two, together with likeminded people, are genuinely not knowing they are obnoxious, and you have a strange mix.

But then, totally deluded person number two, together with likeminded people, condemns person number one of being rude and obnoxious. The saga continues. :rolleyes:

have you been on the sauce this morning.....?:D:D

One single rude and obnoxious person on a Cunard ship? - I'll settle for that anytime :D

Best not to declare how many hundreds you'll find on another well known line :rolleyes:

The thought occurs to me that she may have been referring to you...

We sailed on Ventura last month, so I daresay that I am one of those people who so revolt and disgust you. I found that the saving of sunloungers was a problem on the rare sea day when the weather was good enough to sunbathe. However, whilst it was necessary to be in the Arena Theatre or the other showlounges at least half an hour before the start of any performance in order to be sure of getting a seat, I rarely saw people reserving seats for others. This practice seemed to be confined to sunloungers on this cruise.

I have to say that the vast majority of people we met on this cruise, be it in the MDR, buffet or the bars, were perfectly pleasant well-mannered people. There was one group of what I would call 'chavs' who were on for a wedding (there were about ten of them) who, at the risk of making me sound as bad a Port Royal, looked distinctly out of place. I did find out towards the end of the cruise that they had been removed from the ship for allegedly stealing from the ship's shops.

I'd love to know how many cruises Port Royal has taken with P&O to enable him to form his opinion. From our first experience with them, I'd assert that his opinion is almost entirely incorrect.

The thought occurs to me that she may have been referring to you...

We sailed on Ventura last month, so I daresay that I am one of those people who so revolt and disgust you. I found that the saving of sunloungers was a problem on the rare sea day when the weather was good enough to sunbathe. However, whilst it was necessary to be in the Arena Theatre or the other showlounges at least half an hour before the start of any performance in order to be sure of getting a seat, I rarely saw people reserving seats for others. This practice seemed to be confined to sunloungers on this cruise.

I have to say that the vast majority of people we met on this cruise, be it in the MDR, buffet or the bars, were perfectly pleasant well-mannered people. There was one group of what I would call 'chavs' who were on for a wedding (there were about ten of them) who, at the risk of making me sound as bad a Port Royal, looked distinctly out of place. I did find out towards the end of the cruise that they had been removed from the ship for allegedly stealing from the ship's shops.

I'd love to know how many cruises Port Royal has taken with P&O to enable him to form his opinion. From our first experience with them, I'd assert that his opinion is almost entirely incorrect.

As you found many Ventura's clients behaviour and persona acceptable, may one refer you back to post number 78

We have cruised on Ventura three times, once in the med and twice in the Caribbean.

We have never had a problem with people bagging seats in the theatre, you just need to turn up early enough.

People do hold sunbeds but we have always been able to find a couple when we wanted them all be it away from the pool area.

I did find out towards the end of the cruise that they had been removed from the ship for allegedly stealing from the ship's shops.

Hi Wobbly

Did you personally see them being thrown off, or was it just a rumour?

The reason I ask, is that my daughter recently returned from her 8 month contract on board Ventura and never heard of anyone being thrown off. Gossip like that would have spread like wildfire through the crew.

Stewart

There are loads of rumours and folklore ranging from the 2 ladies fighting in the launderette to the couple who got a 2 week cruise for £300 or the guy who was caught shop lifting but managed to escape by diving over the side.

Edited by dgs1956

Hi Wobbly

Did you personally see them being thrown off, or was it just a rumour?

The reason I ask, is that my daughter recently returned from her 8 month contract on board Ventura and never heard of anyone being thrown off. Gossip like that would have spread like wildfire through the crew.

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

I didn't hear anything definitely confirmed, however we realised that we hadn't seen the family group concerned after the day that they were rumoured to be thrown off. We didn't see them once after that day, which was unusual as they were very conspicuous.

I guess that means that we were the obnoxious ones! ;):rolleyes::D

I don't think many would agree the obnoxious ones were you. Sorry but that person beats you hands down. How they can be bothered coming on here and constantly having a go at P&O and their passengers, they must have something missing.

I agree, the loungers around the pool should be used by people using the pool or parents supervising children in the pool. There are plenty of people that complain about children not being supervised - well in my experience, a lot of the time it's because as a parent we can't get anywhere near the pool, because of those that fill the loungers and never have any intention of going in the pool. P&O are also at fault as they don't do anything about it. Best line for this is Celebrity - if your not on your lounger for a period of time, your stuff is removed, and rightly so...

I agree with your last comment, about stuff being removed (and I do it), but that's as far as it goes.

As a parent, your best way to supervise your children is to be in the pool with them, whether you are right next to them or further away in the pool. That's what our parents did.

Otherwise, you have no more right to the loungers near the pool than anyone else.

I'm sorry, but I disagree, you don't have to be in the pool to supervise your children, just be able to be near them to make sure that:

A. They are ok and enjoying themselves, and

B. Not misbehaving and upsetting other passengers

Unfortunately this is not always possible as you can't get close enough to supervise them, which doesn't seem to bother some parents that aren't even on the same deck or part of the ship. Those thAt aren't looking after children or using the pool have more than enough alternatives...

All considered, it’s the last time for me on that floating care home

Will you try again, perhaps, when you reach 65/75 or so? You might appreciate it more then. And let us hope you are not too leisurely in the buffet. You might want to relax and not be hassled by impatient bad tempered youngsters.

Unless the no reserving seats policy is policed by P&O the selfish - and some must frequent this forum - will always place towels and books on seats. On a recent P&O cruise there were in fact sun loungers available in stacks but no places to place them on a packed deck. Often I have been tempted to remove towels but as I'm on holiday I don't want a row with a fellow passenger to spoil my day and I guess most people feel roughly the same.

Unless the no reserving seats policy is policed by P&O the selfish - and some must frequent this forum - will always place towels and books on seats. On a recent P&O cruise there were in fact sun loungers available in stacks but no places to place them on a packed deck. Often I have been tempted to remove towels but as I'm on holiday I don't want a row with a fellow passenger to spoil my day and I guess most people feel roughly the same.

Yes we too noticed stacked loungers on Azura - there were so many I did a quick estimate and reckoned there were around 120! Like you, we couldn't see where they could have been put out but clearly that number would make quite a difference if they were utilised.

Edited by kruzseeka

Will you try again, perhaps, when you reach 65/75 or so? You might appreciate it more then. And let us hope you are not too leisurely in the buffet. You might want to relax and not be hassled by impatient bad tempered youngsters.

Actually I am 64, and I have experienced 40+ cruises, so not young, inexperienced and certainly not bad tempered. Interesting that my post got dumped but your reply got kept. There is an interesting censorship policy on this forum. But at the end of the day I was there, you where not, it was my experience and my opinion of my experience but it appears honesty on here for others to take on board or ignore is frowned upon. And on the point of being leisurely, these folks where not that, they were downright rude and inconsiderate of their fellow passengers. In their heads me me me,,,, with blinkers on to the rest of us. I dont gripe easy but this lot took me to responding

Edited by Jock

Actually I am 64, and I have experienced 40+ cruises, so not young, inexperienced and certainly not bad tempered. Interesting that my post got dumped but your reply got kept. There is an interesting censorship policy on this forum. But at the end of the day I was there, you where not, it was my experience and my opinion of my experience but it appears honesty on here for others to take on board or ignore is frowned upon. And on the point of being leisurely, these folks where not that, they were downright rude and inconsiderate of their fellow passengers. In their heads me me me,,,, with blinkers on to the rest of us. I dont gripe easy but this lot took me to responding

The reply didn't get dumped as it didn't include the offensive language. Perhaps, as a very new member, you need to review the guidelines for members of Cruise Critic, which also include not commenting on moderation.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/faq.php?faq=guidelines