Seat Savers / Chair Hogs

Mark-Sheffield

We have been on three cruises, 2 with P&O one with RCI and just wondered what fellow cruisers experience was with Seat Savers / Chair Hogs ?

Our last P&O cruise was in January and the first few days we would go up on the pool deck after breakfast and guess what on sea days no loungers near the pool. Only row upon row of towls and books and no passengers !! Grrr.

I'm afraid our solution was to join them in getting up early to secure a prime location !

However, we soon discovered that even though we was normal early risers by 7.30am all of the good seats were gone, so we had to get up there for 7am, which is nuts I know !!! Then breakfast and then up on the pool deck. I always felt guilty because we had gone for breakfast before going on deck for about 8.30am, but then other passengers would wander to their saved seats around 10 to 10.30 !!! At lunch times we moved our stuff and took our chances in the afternoon, most of the time we would get a lounger, sometimes not.

What are other cruise critic views/opinions ?

I certainly don't agree with people " reserving" sun loungers. It is a selfish attitude that is becoming more apparent in other ways on the ships too ( like reserving seats in theatres, buffet etc)

But what I also struggle with is the apparent obsession to be right by the pool! There are places to sunbathe /lounge all over the ship and in my opinion give a far far more pleasant experience than being packed like sardines (over cooked ones at that!) in a noisy environment.

I see no merit in being front line by the pool unless you swim then lounge then swim etc. Please advise the attraction of sunbathing on a lounger right next to the pool as opposed to sunbathing on a lounger a way back from the pool.

Princess Cruise line have deck attendants who during busy periods; when they can see no vacant loungers, come and remove unattended towels and personal items. The towels go in the bin and the personal items go on the lost property items table near the towel attendants new towels supply. It works well as the guys also supervise appropriate use of the pool and area generally.

Regards John

We did see heated exchanges between fellow passengers about moving personal items off loungers and on the Azura, there didn't appear to be attendents around to enforce the 20/30 min rule about unattendend loungers, just bar waiters.

I agree, the loungers around the pool should be used by people using the pool or parents supervising children in the pool. There are plenty of people that complain about children not being supervised - well in my experience, a lot of the time it's because as a parent we can't get anywhere near the pool, because of those that fill the loungers and never have any intention of going in the pool. P&O are also at fault as they don't do anything about it. Best line for this is Celebrity - if your not on your lounger for a period of time, your stuff is removed, and rightly so...

Mark, your so right... Not just a P&O issue though. I was on Caribbean Princess recently and wanted to take my 7 yr old son in the main pool, but as he is only learning to swim and still lacks confidence we couldn't use the main pools because of children jumping and diving in. There were deck supervisors doing nothing about it, so we went to the terrace pool at the back of the ship. There was nobody using it ( adult only so I found out later) and there were only 4 people on loungers near the pool. It was great, we had the pool to ourselves for 10 minutes until the same deck supervised that hadn't been enforcing the rules around the main pool, came and asked us to leave the pool - I couldn't believe what I was hearing. We were still the only ones in there - it seems the staff can pick and choose when to do their job...

A few years ago we was told about an incident by a fellow passenger who had been on the Ventura the year before. Apparently somebody removed belongings from a lounger and about 2 hours later the passengers turned up complaining why their stuff had been moved. The new occupants said that they had waited 30 mins and after no one had showed up they took the loungers. What followed was a very heated exchange between the two men and one picked up the lounger and threw it overboard !! Saying if we can't have it then you can't either !

The two men were detained by security and off-loaded at the next port along with their partners !!

We also did that on Azura. We saw two beds not used for over an hour, so we put their towels and book on a table and used the beds. They arrived 40 minutes later and said they had been gone for 15 minutes. There was an argument, but luckily some other passengers also agreed they had been gone for nearly 2 hours. It wasn't pleasant but I would do it again.

P&O say in the Horizon that you should not reserve sun loungers - they should step up to the mark and enforce their owns rules (same with the pool rules)...

Hear hear.

To not enforce the rules only leads to bad feelings and passenger dissatisfaction.

When on Aurora a lady removed a towel and book from a chair near me, not sure how long the occupant had been away but she certainly stayed there for an hour before a couple returned. The guy insisted she give him his seat back and when she wouldn't he picked up the chair at the side and tipped her on the floor, she was very upset and left the deck in tears. He meanwhile thought he had done nothing wrong and said loud and clear he would do the same again to anyone who occupied his lounger. No he didn't look like a yob just acted like one.

When on Aurora a lady removed a towel and book from a chair near me, not sure how long the occupant had been away but she certainly stayed there for an hour before a couple returned. The guy insisted she give him his seat back and when she wouldn't he picked up the chair at the side and tipped her on the floor, she was very upset and left the deck in tears. He meanwhile thought he had done nothing wrong and said loud and clear he would do the same again to anyone who occupied his lounger. No he didn't look like a yob just acted like one.

I think if I had witnessed this I would have contacted security.

An argument (where the returnee is as always in the wrong) is different than actually reducing someone to tears and turning them off the bed.

We either sit on our balcony or in some out of the way quiet corner. Blow the human b-b-q.

We have been on three cruises, 2 with P&O one with RCI and just wondered what fellow cruisers experience was with Seat Savers / Chair Hogs ?

Our last P&O cruise was in January and the first few days we would go up on the pool deck after breakfast and guess what on sea days no loungers near the pool. Only row upon row of towls and books and no passengers !! Grrr.

I'm afraid our solution was to join them in getting up early to secure a prime location !

However, we soon discovered that even though we was normal early risers by 7.30am all of the good seats were gone, so we had to get up there for 7am, which is nuts I know !!! Then breakfast and then up on the pool deck. I always felt guilty because we had gone for breakfast before going on deck for about 8.30am, but then other passengers would wander to their saved seats around 10 to 10.30 !!! At lunch times we moved our stuff and took our chances in the afternoon, most of the time we would get a lounger, sometimes not.

What are other cruise critic views/opinions ?

Do not wish to experience Hogs or Yobs? Book Cunard :D ;)

I am sure there will be seat savers on Cunard ? In the higher grade suites they will get somebody else to save it for them !!! LOL

Made one smile, as it could occur.

However, Hogs on Cunard, never witnessed this. When vacating the loungers (for Lunch in Grill, Restaurant or Lido), towels and accessories are removed, out of courtesy and good manners.

For Yobs. They may visit Cunard as "Red Tops", but tend to not repeat.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

I am sure there will be seat savers on Cunard ? In the higher grade suites they will get somebody else to save it for them !!! LOL

Absolutely not necessary as there's always plenty available on the Grills Deck. Plus the attendants will bring you iced water or orange juice. They also supply a selection of sun creams etc., all free.

Stewart

Made one smile, as it could occur.

However, Hogs on Cunard, never witnessed this. When vacating the loungers (for Lunch in Grill, Restaurant or Lido), towels and accessories are removed, out of courtesy and good manners.

I have witnessed this on several occasions. On Cunard. On QE in particular. .But not on a crossing admittedly!

P&O seem to be afraid of offending the yobs that they are encouraging on their ships at the moment but they are not worried about those of us who like a quite life. We invariably book a balcony and I much prefer to sit there and read rather than go out on the decks which are generally too busy for me to concentrate on my book because I am really nosey.

I have witnessed this on several occasions. On Cunard. On QE in particular. .But not on a crossing admittedly!

Probably Red Tops importing their previous brand of etiquette to Cunard. ;)

Edited by PORT ROYAL

My view is if there is no one using it use it yourself, move the offending items !:-P

Totally agree, if they wanted to argue then so be it, if not settled, call in security.

The joys of having a balcony can sometimes save you from this hassle/drama.

If P&O enforced the rule a few times people would quickly learn they couldn't get away with it.

Exactly, P&O should enforce their deck chair and theatre seat 'no reserve policies.'

P&O seem to be afraid of offending the yobs that they are encouraging on their ships at the moment but they are not worried about those of us who like a quite life. We invariably book a balcony and I much prefer to sit there and read rather than go out on the decks which are generally too busy for me to concentrate on my book because I am really nosey.

"yobs" ? OMG