Summit has azipod problem leaving from New York

Tangocherie

Sounds exactly the same as the Halifax issue last year which was an Azipod that took 12 hours to fix.

Wonder if it was the same one? We ended up missing Sydney, NS which is the only place we had a shore excursion booked. I am sure that is the reason it broke them.

Looks like they may get in a little late? They're making about 13 and a half knots now... unless he steps on the gas, that would get them to Bermuda about 11am local time. Then they'd have to navigate the channel, dock, clear customs...

Summit_2015-07-06.jpg.6c0f0678b5c210d194428c661de81253.jpg

Looks like they may get in a little late? They're making about 13 and a half knots now... unless he steps on the gas, that would get them to Bermuda about 11am local time. Then they'd have to navigate the channel, dock, clear customs...

Interesting just 13 1/2 half knots.

The Norwegian Breakaway is currently only traveling at 11.7kn vs. the Celebrity Summit at 14.4kn. Given the approximate 12 hour difference in departure, it looks to me like they are on the same pace with the Summit making up the ground to match arrival when the Breakaway gets there. This is a scheduled 2 days at sea on the way down with a 1 day at sea on the way back trip. I would suspect they are just taking their time and making up just a little ground compared to how fast they would normally go. No need to go full out given the extra time in the schedule before arrival.

Interesting just 13 1/2 half knots.

Yeah. He's up to 14.7 knots now. Seems to me that he'd need to be doing at least 17.5 knots to meet the original schedule. The wind is westerly, so it's not like he's going into a headwind.

--bruce T.

DISCLAIMER #1: I've never cruised before - first time will be on the Summit on 9th August. My opinions may not be in touch with reality.

COROLLARY A TO DISCLAIMER #1: That's never stopped me before. :D

Gee, you folks on the Summit just got one of those now forbidden 'cruises to nowhere'!!! (Up into the NY harbor, and back to Bayonne. :D )

Actually, it was good that your Capt tried to give you that little extra excursion past the Statue of Liberty & lower Manhattan. If he hadn't, the problem would have happened further out at sea. Which might have been more difficult for keeping the ship steady, and a more difficult repair.

Plus it would have been more costly for Celebrity to hire heavy duty ocean going tugs if they were needed, until the harbor area was reached.

Hope you have a good cruise and excellent weather!

(And another vote for venturing up north for the sail-by the SoL, when possible)

We were on that cruise and retuned this morning

I can use your help

The cruise activity director name is Estefano. He was supposed to give us his card for his Facebook account. But we didn't see him this morning. When you see him can you ask him his music website or Facebook page

We never got his last name to check on Facebook

Tell him room 8141 group from previous cruise

Thanks for your help

Hotrod615

Hey 8141,

We were on your cruise, you and Mark had us rolling on the floor! It was a great cruise, despite losing power for a little while I'm Bermuda.

Lifetime of the ship, problem is with bearings...

X really needs to look at doing repairs so this doesn't happen again. It seems to be on ongoing problem. I remember a while back when the Connie had problems....maybe even towed back?????

And, I believe Sydney was missed on a NE/Canada cruise on the Summit.

It wouldn't be a pretty sight if the ship had to outrun a hurricane and wasn't able to navigate in the water. :eek:

Granted, I know absolutely nothing about the mechanics of how a ship operates, but I think it would be more advantageous for X to fix a problem, rather than issue a lot of future cruise vouchers, if they would have to cancel an entire voyage because of problems.

Okay, rant over. No flames please.

Edited by midwestchick

Hey 8141,

We were on your cruise, you and Mark had us rolling on the floor! It was a great cruise, despite losing power for a little while I'm Bermuda.

Thanks.

That was my cousin in that room. We were with a group of 24 people and the majority rules event is what kicked off that 8141 skit. If we don't write that answer down the whole week is different.

Our family is one of a kind. lol

X really needs to look at doing repairs so this doesn't happen again. It seems to be on ongoing problem. I remember a while back when the Connie had problems....maybe even towed back?????

It wouldn't be a pretty sight if the ship had to outrun a hurricane and wasn't able to navigate in the water. :eek:

Granted, I know absolutely nothing about the mechanics of how a ship operates, but I think it would be more advantageous for X to fix a problem, rather than issue a lot of future cruise vouchers, if they would have to cancel an entire voyage because of problems.

Not to flame you, but to point out a few things.

As we don't know the cause or the remedy of the problem, we have no way of knowing if this is a repetitive problem, or just something that wore out or broke, and was different from the last time the ship had a propulsion problem, or even if it was the same pod.

Take your car for instance. If in January, you had to replace a shock absorber, and then in March you had to replace the muffler, would you take the car in to the mechanic and say "heck, everything keeps on breaking, just go ahead and replace every part that could wear out or break (engine, transmission, brakes, tires, etc.), so that I'll be guaranteed a car that won't break down when I'm on the highway"?

No flames and I understand your point. It appears that Celebrity has done all they can do on this issue. When the M class ships came out, this was happening on a regular basis, it was almost like every month or so one of the ships went down. There were cancelled ports and cancelled cruises to address the problem. They won a lawsuit over the problem.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/RCCL-Rolls-Royce-settle-Celebrity-pods-lawsuit

Celebrity apparently made some type of a fix a few years ago and there have been very few problems since then. They have pretty much done everything they can. I do not believe putting new pods in is an option. Don't know anything else they could have done.

Edited by dkjretired