REALLY odd question about Australia....yoghurt

Is Fage yoghurt available in the grocery stores in Australia? If so, where?

If not, and you are familiar with this particular style of Greek yoghurt, would you please recommend an alternate brand that IS available?

Many thanks.

:)

We have plenty of Greek Yoghurt options - Melbourne has the largest population of Greeks in the world, outside of Athens!

I have never seen that brand where I live, so without knowing what it tastes like it is difficult to suggest a closest alternative?

We have plenty of Greek Yoghurt options - Melbourne has the largest population of Greeks in the world, outside of Athens!

I have never seen that brand where I live, so without knowing what it tastes like it is difficult to suggest a closest alternative?

Thanks for your quick response, Pushka. I guess that the main features that I like are:

Greek style yoghurt

good thick texture

0% fat (or 2%)

no preservatives or additives

truly natural ingredients

A few ingredients lists from their website:

STRAINED YOGURT: Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk and Cream, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei). BLOOD ORANGE FRUIT PREPARATION (20%): Cane Sugar, Water, Orange Pulp Cells, Blood Orange Juice Concentrate, Corn Starch, Natural Flavor.

STRAINED YOGURT: Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei). CHERRY-POMEGRANATE FRUIT PREPARATION (20%): Cherries, Cane Sugar, Water, Pomegranate Juice Concentrate, Corn Starch, Contains 2% or less of: Natural Flavors, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Xanthan Gum.

STRAINED YOGURT: Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei). ORANGE-CINNAMON FRUIT PREPERATION (20%): Water, Cane Sugar, Orange Peel, Orange Juice Concentrate, Corn Starch, Contains 2% or less of: Lemon Juice, Cinnamon, Natural flavor, Xantham Gum.

This may sound ridiculous, but I am booked on a very long cruise in 2017, and while I "can live" without my good yoghurt even on a 14 nighter ;), I hate the thought of "going without" for 51 days! :D

I find Jalna is a good brand of yoghurt here available in all supermarkets.

I just looked at my latest purchase -

BioDynamic Organic Whole Milk Yoghourt

Naturally pot set

Aust made and owned

free of cane sugar

free of gluton, starches, stabilizers and gelatines

no use of pesticides, herbicides and growth hormones

biodynamic organic mik from jalna's farm

They sell low fat yoghurt, as well as fruit yoghurts.

I actually prefer Australian Product greek style yoghurt, when I can find it.

You won't find the range of flavours in Greek yoghurts here that you are used to in the US. Most of the ones here are plain.

Love the sound of your ones especially the cherry-pomegranate one. Sounds gorgeous.

Chobani is good for flavoured, as is Tamar Valley (I like the no added sugar version plus a family friend started the company) and Gippsland diary ones are good too but they might be more common in Victoria.

Is Fage yoghurt available in the grocery stores in Australia? If so, where?

If not, and you are familiar with this particular style of Greek yoghurt, would you please recommend an alternate brand that IS available?

Many thanks.

When travelling downunder to NZ and Australia it is very unlikely that northern hemisphere travellers will find brands of dairy products they are used to at home. This is primarily because items like yoghurt etc have limited shelf lives even when refrigerated and because they contain cultures which may or may not be harmful to the local dairy industries they are unlikely to pass bio security regulations. That said NZ and Australia are producers of some of the finest dairy products in the world and I am sure you will find local producers making dairy products as good as if not better than you will get at home.

Besides whilst on holiday it is an ideal opportunity to try something new. You may even like it better than your usual brand at home.

I would suggest Attiki Greek yoghurt range as being closest to Fage in Australia. Brands mentioned by previous posters have what I think of as a distinctly Australian as opposed to Greek flavour. Attiki is widely available in supermarkets .

We use Jalna full fat Greek yoghurt as well, we even use it as a base to make our own yoghurt in the slow cooker - it's easy & economical!

Most flavoured yoghurts are full of sugar.

Also the whole low fat thing is a myth, fat isn't bad in yoghurt - it's the sugar they put into things to replace the fat that is. Good fats in foods also makes you feel fuller so you eat less. :)

We found the 'yoghurts' on the ships when sailing in the US was basically sugary custard, it didn't even list any bacteria in them! On Australian cruises I have found they offer Australian brands with bacteria at least & usually a plain option in those you can add some fresh fruit to for flavour or on some lines a separate bowl of Greek yoghurt.

So maybe you will find some half decent yoghurt on board when they restock here in Australia?:)

You are all so lovely! I never expected this much "action" on my thread!

Fage has some sugar, but it is not high in calories. And I don't eat it by the gallon, so it works out.

I do NOT want Chobani. We have that here. Although I guess that it's better than the crap that they have in the Windjammer.

I think that my best bet will be to use my few days pre-cruise in Sydney to cruise the market aisles and pick up some samples and taste for myself!

I will definitely check out Attiki.

(Fage WAS available in Australia at some point. I read that in someone's blog.)

If you are ever on a cruise with me "over here", let me know, and I will bring you some of our lovely flavors!

My favorites: Cherry Pomegranate, Blueberry Acai, Blood Orange, Apple Cinnamon Raisin, Orange Cinnamon, Passion Fruit Clementine, I LOVE THE APPLE CRANBERRY. ;)

But even here, my local stores have cut back on the range of flavors that they sell. Very aggravating.

Not wild about plain yoghurt. I'll add honey if nothing else is available.

I think that my best bet will be to use my few days pre-cruise in Sydney to cruise the market aisles and pick up some samples and taste for myself!

My favorites: Cherry Pomegranate, Blueberry Acai, Blood Orange, Apple Cinnamon Raisin, Orange Cinnamon, Passion Fruit Clementine, I LOVE THE APPLE CRANBERRY. ;)

Most of the supermarkets in Sydney city are quite small. I suggest you catch a train to Bondi Junction, where there is a big Westfield mall. Both major supermarket chains are there- Woolworths on level 3 and Coles on level 1. There is also Norton St Grocer which have a different range of yoghurts again. The food hall at David Jones department store may also sell some yoghurts. BTW the Harbour Room food court on level 5 has some of the best views in Sydney.

Some of those flavours you can get sound wonderful. Most of the flavours we get here are boring.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

This is so much fun!

Now I have Jalna, Attiki and Evia to try!

Don't the people in Sydney have supermarkets? I like small grocery stores, too...........as long as they sell yoghurt, in this case!

This is not normally what I do in a port, whether for a day or pre- or post-cruise.

But 51 days on a ship..............having done this once before, there are certain "creature comforts" that I would like to take along.

(I also make my own salad dressing. I cannot ABIDE those horrid commercial gloppy concoctions. But I know that I can get my ingredients on board)

I am so happy to have found you all and your wonderful, helpful community.

Every single port on this cruise is new for me. I am looking forward first to the research, and then to the experience.

you-are-the-best-i-love-youu-muuaahh-thank-you.png

This is so much fun!

Now I have Jalna, Attiki and Evia to try!

Don't the people in Sydney have supermarkets? I like small grocery stores, too...........as long as they sell yoghurt, in this case!

This is not normally what I do in a port, whether for a day or pre- or post-cruise.

But 51 days on a ship..............having done this once before, there are certain "creature comforts" that I would like to take along.

(I also make my own salad dressing. I cannot ABIDE those horrid commercial gloppy concoctions. But I know that I can get my ingredients on board)

I am so happy to have found you all and your wonderful, helpful community.

Every single port on this cruise is new for me. I am looking forward first to the research, and then to the experience.

you-are-the-best-i-love-youu-muuaahh-thank-you.png

The main Supermarkets are Woolworths and Coles, then add IGA AND ALdi

together with smaller specialty stores and smaller grocers

Of course we do, it's just that many of the central business district supermarkets are "Express" stores so smaller compared with the ones in suburban shopping centres and malls. They are designed for workers to pop in and grab some essentials on their way home from work, not designed for family shopping. You'll find some yoghurts there but not a big selection, which is why I suggested going to Bondi Junction - it's a very short train ride from the city, from either Town Hall or Martin Place stations.

The salad dressings onboard are vile! I usually ask for no dressing at all, or maybe just some lemon I can squeeze over.